Install on the Compaq C714NR?

Maximos

619 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have a current issue, rather on going lately. But my CPU fan is off when I did the recent 10.5.4 update. Anyone have any info or can help me with a small guide on getting my CPU fan going?

I'm using a C751NR, I assume it shouldn't matter between any particular models.

Thanks, would appreciate the info,

ZB

if you have pacifist, i would try popping in your install disk (if you still are using kalyway 10.5.2), opening the disc within pacifist, then try to install "Patches > PowerManagement_bundle....pkg"

if that doesnt work and your os gets messed up, i dont know what to say.

i have found that you can interchange the drivers to a certain extent between kalyway and iatkos. im using the iatkos intel graphics driver, and docktweak.app, and the rest is kalyway.

its worth a shot if you have everything backed up.

Has anyone tried the 10.5.4 update?

I'm scared :-/

And no problems? Just back up the a.kexts and do it?

Looking at it now, I'm on 10.5.2- can I just jump right to it? 10.5.3 doesn't appear on my updates...

Yeah, I had to wipe Leopard and go back to Vista exclusively for the past few months (for a contract job that needed almost all of my hard drive space), and I would kill for a comprehensive list of what what worked right and what didn't... I'm really not looking forward to the trial and error of what works with the newer releases and what doesn't. Nor do I want to install from an older release and go through all the updates. Add to that, my Time Machine backup disk got run over (don't ask), so I'd have to REALLY work at getting back to where I was...

That being said, anyone have an exact list of what to install on a C714NR to get a bootable, vanilla install using one of the current releases (iATKOS or Kalyway)? I want my Hacintosh back!

if using kalyway install, i can say that the graphics driver doesnt support quartz etreme (front row wont work, album cover for itunes wont work, slow glitchy graphics.

if using iatkos v2.0i then you get graphics, no additional apps, and a non-working wireless driver.

in any case, for the iatkos v2.0i, here is what i installed:

iAtkos V2.0i

>OSInstall.mpkg

10.5.2.Intel.pkg

darwinboot.pkg

>stock (left as is)

>patches

darwinx86.pkg

dim.pkg (last one of patches)

>applesmbios

smbios.pkg (first one)

>drivers

>vga

>intel

gmax3100.pkg

>system

sata.pkg

nfsata.pkg

speedstep.pkg

ntfs

>network (check all just in case 1 of them works)

Kalyway 10.5.2

>OSInstall.mpkg

>EssentialSystemSoftware (always select all)

>Additional Fonts (once again, all)

>Languagetranslations (only talk of you want other language support)

>X11User.pkg (install)

>ALC.pkg (install)

>Hidden_System (install all)

>kernels

kernal_vanilla_92_kernal9.pkg

>Graphics_Drivers

>Intel_GMA

GMAX3100_gmax3100.pkg

>Audio_Drivers

(leave as is)

>Networks_Cards

realtekR1000.pkg (make sure this and defaults are/stay selected)

>Wifi_Cards

1080211Family.pkg

wifi_Broadcom_airport_Broadcom.pkg

(any defaults should stay)

>Mobo_Chipsets (stay the same)

>Thirds_Applications

(i selected everything, but if you must, save yourself some disc space. always install pacifist and kexthelper though =])

>Patches

(defaults)

PowerManagement_bundle_powermanagement.pkg

IntelMemoryController.pkg

for me, kalyway didnt have accelerated graphics, or anything other then basic, so front row wouldnt work.

my way around this was to use iatkos installation to install the intel graphics driver only, then use the kalyway to install everything else, and i left the vga drivers for kalyway blank, thus it used the working one from iatkos.

i really hope this helps bud.

And no problems? Just back up the a.kexts and do it?

Looking at it now, I'm on 10.5.2- can I just jump right to it? 10.5.3 doesn't appear on my updates...

I lost battery meter....have not gotten it back :rolleyes:

not sure about skipping 10.5.3......

I did not use the auto update.....but the method from 10.5.3

but it does work like a champ :)

I lost battery meter....have not gotten it back :rolleyes:

not sure about skipping 10.5.3......

I did not use the auto update.....but the method from 10.5.3

but it does work like a champ :)

You didn't use auto-update? What method did you use to get to 10.5.3? Did you use auto for 10.5.4?

I used Kalyway comboupdater for both 10.5.3 and 10.5.4.....found on the bay

Roger. Thank you :-)

if using kalyway install, i can say that the graphics driver doesnt support quartz etreme (front row wont work, album cover for itunes wont work, slow glitchy graphics.

if using iatkos v2.0i then you get graphics, no additional apps, and a non-working wireless driver.

in any case, for the iatkos v2.0i, here is what i installed:

iAtkos V2.0i

>OSInstall.mpkg

10.5.2.Intel.pkg

darwinboot.pkg

>stock (left as is)

>patches

darwinx86.pkg

dim.pkg (last one of patches)

>applesmbios

smbios.pkg (first one)

>drivers

>vga

>intel

gmax3100.pkg

>system

sata.pkg

nfsata.pkg

speedstep.pkg

ntfs

>network (check all just in case 1 of them works)

Kalyway 10.5.2

>OSInstall.mpkg

>EssentialSystemSoftware (always select all)

>Additional Fonts (once again, all)

>Languagetranslations (only talk of you want other language support)

>X11User.pkg (install)

>ALC.pkg (install)

>Hidden_System (install all)

>kernels

kernal_vanilla_92_kernal9.pkg

>Graphics_Drivers

>Intel_GMA

GMAX3100_gmax3100.pkg

>Audio_Drivers

(leave as is)

>Networks_Cards

realtekR1000.pkg (make sure this and defaults are/stay selected)

>Wifi_Cards

1080211Family.pkg

wifi_Broadcom_airport_Broadcom.pkg

(any defaults should stay)

>Mobo_Chipsets (stay the same)

>Thirds_Applications

(i selected everything, but if you must, save yourself some disc space. always install pacifist and kexthelper though =])

>Patches

(defaults)

PowerManagement_bundle_powermanagement.pkg

IntelMemoryController.pkg

for me, kalyway didnt have accelerated graphics, or anything other then basic, so front row wouldnt work.

my way around this was to use iatkos installation to install the intel graphics driver only, then use the kalyway to install everything else, and i left the vga drivers for kalyway blank, thus it used the working one from iatkos.

i really hope this helps bud.

Thanx! I went iAtkos before (as you can see in my sig), so I'll go that route again. Though with v1.0i, I didn't have the issue with wifi. I never could get it to install vanilla, so maybe that's why wifi worked. It also was almost always on the verge of spontaneously combusting DESPITE the fan running full tilt, so I wasn't able to use it as a laptop, defeating the purpose of having a laptop. lol I always had to boot using the DVD too. I'll allocate some drive space tonight and try your method to see where I get. With no wifi, I wouldn't be able to go that route, though I'm willing to do some trial an error on that bit. God, I'd love to kill Windows for good. :thanks_speechbubble:

Alright, up and running! Though, as you said, no wifi. I'm gonna see what I can dig up on that, though not tonight as I have to do all my installs and updates!

I found the Combo Updater on the Bay for 10.5.3, but I can't find 10.5.4... Am I missing something?

Alright, so after killing my system twice (once RIGHT after wiping my backup! Thank the gods for Live CDs!), I figured out and fixed the no-wifi deal. Using Pacifist, crack open the Apple 10.5.2 or Kalyway 10.5.3 (I tried both; other combo updates may work) Combo Update and install just the System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext. Reboot, and wifi should crank right up for you. ;)

As to why I killed my install twice? Both times I was trying to affect the Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo Update without fully reading the directions first. Way to go hotshot. lol I haven't gotten brave enough to try it again, but I will after I finish transferring all my backed up media and documents, wiping the external hard drive, and creating a Time Machine restore. I'm tired of reinstalling! lol

Ok, if anyone can help me on this, I did update my systemto 10.5.4 using Apple's auto-update app and it went through fine, this was after doing a kalyway modbin kernel install.

Everything is working great, perfect...except my fans won't kick on, anyone have some sort of solution or even a good kext to fix this with 10.5.4?

I have tried using powermanagement bundle from Iatkos 1.0i, 2.0 Kalyway 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 so far, nothing works.

Anyone have some sort of solution?

Thanks,

ZB

So following the iAtkos instructions so graciously provided by emmazbestfriend, I'm completely up and running after fixing my wifi. But the Kalyway Combo Update kills my install every time. And yes, I fully read the instructions. I don't think I'm really missing out on much being stuck back at 10.5.2 (security updates and MobileMe aside), so I'm not that worried about it. I'm also having very little of the heat issue I had in the past; I can actually use my laptop as a laptop! What a novel idea!

I do have an interesting issue though. Adium crashes at load every time I try to run it. I have yet to get it to run for more than about a half a second before crashing. I even installed it first, before any other programs, to see if something else was effecting it. Nope, still crashed. I have no clue what's doing it, but it's definitely weird. Anyone else had strange issues like that? I have yet to run into it with any other program, so it's not a big deal. iChat works just fine (and doesn't look half bad after installing Chax and iChat Pro).

If anyone has a clue about either issue (system updates or Adium), let me know. While not killers, they're definitely annoying.

Looks like IATKOS 10.5.4 is up, anyone up and running with it? I got it but it seems to crash immediately upon the first boot up with a kernel panic.

I'm on a C751NR model, usually IATKOS is a full proof install, seems like in my case thats not the case so far.

UPDATE: I got it installed, seems like maybe if you leave the new DVD in the drive while the system first boots up, it crashes OSX, not too sure on this yet. But with my experience so far....it seems good but, again, CPU temp issues, my cpu fan only kicks on when the cpu gets hot enough to do so, no active cooling.

Looks like IATKOS 10.5.4 is up, anyone up and running with it? I got it but it seems to crash immediately upon the first boot up with a kernel panic.

I'm on a C751NR model, usually IATKOS is a full proof install, seems like in my case thats not the case so far.

UPDATE: I got it installed, seems like maybe if you leave the new DVD in the drive while the system first boots up, it crashes OSX, not too sure on this yet. But with my experience so far....it seems good but, again, CPU temp issues, my cpu fan only kicks on when the cpu gets hot enough to do so, no active cooling.

Can this disk be used to update with, or should I run a clean install and then restore data from Time Machine?

Can this disk be used to update with, or should I run a clean install and then restore data from Time Machine?

I don't think you can do a update with it, would be a nice option someone should add though...but you would have to think you must do a complete clean install with this.

i updated my 10.5.2 with mysticus 1.4b, the update went well but the laptop was running hot (no active cooling but the fan coming on only as needed) , I restored the kexts and powermanagement.bundle from a.zip and fans runs actively now (still hot though) but i lost the battery meter, any way to get it back

even after running with the kexts from a.zip the laptop tends to run reasonably hot (the bottom is very hot). is it something to do with 10.5.3 update or its just the way osx86 works on this laptop

i am using 9.3.0 vanilla kernel and system.kext

I used Kalyway comboupdater for both 10.5.3 and 10.5.4.....found on the bay

Kenny,

I tried the kalyway combo for 10.5.3- and it nuked my install (yes, I followed the instructions).

Can you be a little more specific on how you went about it? Did you upgrade the kernel to 9.3? Which kernel did you use? Is there anything I need to do before/after the install?

I really want to get to 10.5.3 so I can try my hand at iPhone/iPod developing (10.5.3 req'd for the SDK).

EDIT: I gave up and found the new iAtkos 4i, so I'm gonna go that route.

Can you tell us what settings you used?

I tried on my backup partition, but I couldn't get it to work.

I did a clean install with the new iAtkos 4i disc (I imported all my data from Time Machine), and I'm up and running with only a couple of issues. First, I have to pull the wifi driver from an official combo installer again (I'm going to backup the kext this time!), I still have to boot from the DVD (a minor annoyance), and it broke my Aperture. So far, I haven't hit any other issues. Adium finally works (I'm still not sure what the deal was with that). Speedstep no longer shows in the menu bar, so I'm not sure if its running. The heat seems a little high again too; as Zeroburn said, no active cooling, the fan only kicks in when it gets hot.

EDIT:

After installing the IO80211Family.kext from the Apple 10.5.2 Combo Update, I still have no wifi. I'm gonna give it a shot with the kext out of the Kalyway Combo now. Speedstep is showing up now after rebooting, so it's working.

EDIT AGAIN:

Wifi started working randomly about 20 minutes after boot. To test it, I rebooted, and it works perfectly fine now; no delay. I'm not sure what the heck that was all about, but it saved me having to download the Kalyway Combo for one 4.3 MB file! Now I just have to reinstall Aperture, and I'll be set. Well, except for the fan issue. It's buggin' me that I didn't have that issue with the v2.0i install on 10.5.2... I wonder what the difference is...

Compaq C712NR

"Black Friday Special"

Kalyway 10.5.2

Vanilla Kernel

Graphic Drivers: None

Audio: Intel NVIDIA VIA, NVIDIA AC97, Realtek Sigmatel

Network Cards: None

Wifi: I80211family, wifi_Atheros_Adapter, wifi_Broadcom

Mobo Chipsets: None

Patches: None

Tried updater1.4b once and it killed my keyboard and mouse! So I had to reinstall Kalyway 10.5.2 again.

After that -> Kalyway Comboupdater 10.5.3 (update -v) -> Apple Update 10.5.4

What works: Graphics, Sound, USB, Wifi, Internal Fan

What doesn't work: Sleep, Battery Indicator

iPhone SDK and XCode 3.1 work flawlessly!!!

Can you tell us what settings you used?

I tried on my backup partition, but I couldn't get it to work.

For my install of IATKOS v4i, I selected the following:

Apple SMBIOS-27 6th rev. Macbook

NTFS-3G

GMA X3100

SATA

Realtek 8139

The rest I left as default, as I have Unbuntu 8.04 and have set Grub to Auto-load my OSX partition, so bootloader stuff I don't deal with. Also, I had kernel panics with installing the PS2 Patch, which I wish I could use.

I also had no active CPU fan working with this install, so I found this thread, and if you check out Robi62, his kexts work perfect for me in getting Battery Meter and the CPU Fan working again, check out that one among the others listed from Biablo, Paulicat, Superhai:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...20on&st=120

Lastly, I would like to get a good Alps driver going, would like the scroll options if possible. I downloaded the ones from the Trackpad tutorial, that supposedly should insall and be alraedy configured with no real editing involved. I found several others also, anyone know or have a ALPS driver that works fine out of a single kext/driver package install?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks everyone.

ZB

For my install of IATKOS v4i, I selected the following:

NTFS-3G

GMA X3100

SATA

Realtek 8139

The rest I left as default, as I have Unbuntu 8.04 and have set Grub to Auto-load my OSX partition, so bootloader stuff I don't deal with. Also, I had kernel panics with installing the PS2 Patch, which I wish I could use.

I also had no active CPU fan working with this install, so I found this thread, and if you check out Robi62, his kexts work perfect for me in getting Battery Meter and the CPU Fan working again, check out that one among the others listed from Biablo, Paulicat, Superhai:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...20on&st=120

Lastly, I would like to get a good Alps driver going, would like the scroll options if possible. I downloaded the ones from the Trackpad tutorial, that supposedly should insall and be alraedy configured with no real editing involved. I found several others also, anyone know or have a ALPS driver that works fine out of a single kext/driver package install?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks everyone.

ZB

When you say that the CPU fan is working, do you mean it is actively keeping the laptop cool, or just kicking in when it gets hot?

Success! Compaq C714NR clean install of 10.5.4 using iAtkos 4i

Extra options on install (don't uncheck anything, just check these in addition):

Remove Thermals

GMA X3100

SATA

Everything works as it did before, like everyone else's setups:

Wifi, sound (through speakers), USB, battery, wired-LAN, timemachine, etc all good

No headphones, no sleep.

Temps are good, fan comes on and off as usual. Using Vanilla's kexts from earlier in the thread.

AboutThisMac.jpg