Install on the Compaq C714NR?

Maximos

619 posts in this topic

My wireless says it's (en0) and my ethernet says it's (en1). Shouldn't it technically be the other way around? I'm trying to use MAC Changer and for some reason I can't spoof my wireless MAC address. I have a friend who has same install as me on an HP and his wireless is (en1).

Also anyone know if there is a whitelist for the bios F.34? I want to put in a N card.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...093〈=ru

I had the same en0 vs en1 issue. You can switch it around in Library->Preferences->SystemConfiguration->NetworkInterfaces.plist

Just change the en0s to en1s and vice versa. I actually have to do this rather often since updating to 10.5.4/10.5.5, as when wireless is en0 it keeps dropping the connection on long downloads and I have to manually connect at each boot, and when wireless is en1 those issues are resolved but time machine doesn't work. Apparently time machine uses the MAC address of en0 and it has some problem getting the MAC address of my ethernet, but not my wifi.

I don't know about the F.34 version specifically but I can confirm that there is a whitelist for C700 machines as delivered (and the page you linked to doesn't mention about this changing with the update - so I doubt it has). I have a 751nr and so had to swap out the wifi card to get online. The first card I tried was rejected, even though it came from another Compaq machine. I had to make sure I got a card which was pulled from the 712 so the bios wouldn't prevent boot. I have read that you can mess with the bios update file with a hexeditor before flashing in order to circumvent the whitelist, but that's the kinda thing I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole...

Anyways.... who's updated to 10.5.6???

I updated to 10.5.6 but this is after i did the voodoo 1.0 kernel, and my C751NR updated perfectly, with a few exceptions:

keyboard and trackpad didn't work, and I had usb port issues, sometimes they would work, other times they didn't.

I installed the Vanilla kexts and that resolved the issues. Not sure on the USB ports yet, I'll retry.

I also lost the battery meter, but I installed the Superhai & Eureka Battery Manager kext and that fix that issue. Fans worked regardless of having the battery meter or not working.

One issue remains so far though. I cannot for the life of me get Netflix to stream Instant Watch. get the 8152 Error.

Anyone have a fix for this? At all? Or if one of you guys have it working, please give me your IOFamilyNetworking kexts and SMBIOS kexts please.

Thanks

Hey there everyone. Great thread it has helped alot. But now I have a problem. I updated to 10.5.3 and did the combo update to .4 and my keyboard didn't work. So I used a USB keyboard and mouse to get into my OSX, and I installed the a.zip kexts because they kicked butt and solved a lot problems but now I get a kernel panic in -x and in -s and regular mode. Anyway to recover? Using my signature lappy.

Same here DipDog, I had a way easier and better time with IDeneb 1.3. Iatkos has been a major pain for me to be honest. It does have some neat SMBIOS, Decrypters and Blockers, but otherwise i have yet to get a good install going on it at all.

IDeneb for the most part works perfect out of the box for me with the exception of the intneral hard drive icons showing up as orange boxes, which I fixed by installing the IOAHCIFamily.kext.

Just curious if anyone had Iatkos 5i working and able to update to 10.5.6 without a issue

Honestly Hotail, I would forget about using 10.5.4 and get at least iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 or Iatkos 5i. Most up to date builds, iDeneb at least gave me a rather painless installation as I mentioned above, and you would at least need to do a 10.5.6 update in the future if you need to.

I did do a Vanilla update to 10.5.6 through Apple update with iDeneb, it seemed to be frozen at the 55% mark, but I did a forced shutdown and rebooted into OS X fine, had 10.5.6 installed. The issues I then had were a dead trackpad and keyboard, which A.zip kexts resolved. Had no battery meter, Suphai's and Eureka's battery manager solved this. Then I had intermittent usb ports working partially. In the end I decided to reinstall with plain Ideneb 10.5.5

That's my experience so far, and my strongest suggestion to make for you, best way to do major kernel updates is through total re-installs.

Hopefully Mysticus will release a update to 10.5.6 soon

Ok so I want to try a new plan. Has anyone gotten the Retail DVD method to work? I can boot up off of the disk, then insert the Leopard Retail Disk but then my computer hangs at the blue screen right before the language selection. Has anyone gotten this method to work? If so what did you do? (Could you please post a step by step, and the kexts you used?)

Just installed kalyway 10.5.2 with vanilla kernel and everything seems to be running fine.

i cant figure out for the life of me which package or kext i need to install to get my sound working. i think i tried all the audio packages on the kalyway 10.5.2 dvd and none seem to work. anyone help?

its a c751nr btw

thanks

I'm on a c714nr and haven't been around lately. Been running 10.5.5 for a long while and I'm wondering if anyone has done a apple software update to 10.5.6 without any flaws. Most common is missing keyboard, trackpad, usb here and there. I'd be crappy to install and not have any of those because then I couldn't do anything.

I'm on a c714nr and haven't been around lately. Been running 10.5.5 for a long while and I'm wondering if anyone has done a apple software update to 10.5.6 without any flaws. Most common is missing keyboard, trackpad, usb here and there. I'd be crappy to install and not have any of those because then I couldn't do anything.

How did you update to 10.5.5? What release did you use for your initial install? I need help getting my Kalyway installation to 10.5.5.

Ok so I want to try a new plan. Has anyone gotten the Retail DVD method to work? I can boot up off of the disk, then insert the Leopard Retail Disk but then my computer hangs at the blue screen right before the language selection. Has anyone gotten this method to work? If so what did you do? (Could you please post a step by step, and the kexts you used?)

On your retail boot, you need at 10.5.4 DVD to load the video, 10.5.1 will not do it. I was playing with a retail install a while back, using Munky's EFI boot. I never could get the audio to work, so I gave up for a while. But it is cool.

On your retail boot, you need at 10.5.4 DVD to load the video, 10.5.1 will not do it. I was playing with a retail install a while back, using Munky's EFI boot. I never could get the audio to work, so I gave up for a while. But it is cool.

Ya I am going to work on the retail version some other time. I left my TM drive back at school.

How did you go about updating to 10.5.5(6)? I really want to because I want to start writing apps for the iPod touch/iPhone... That and i like having everything up to date (I really hate seeing that I still need to update something in my AppFresh...)

How did you update to 10.5.5? What release did you use for your initial install? I need help getting my Kalyway installation to 10.5.5.

KennyP actually helped me with my problems getting up to 10.5.5 I installed using iAtkos v4i and Chris Liphart's IO80211Family.kext and then just used software update to get to 10.5.5 Here's everything:

okay I finally got iATKOS v4i to work for me and it's all thanks to KennyP. I got these instructions in an e-mail from him yesterday, installed today and it worked perfectly. I'm about to install Vanilla's "a" kexts and the networking kext provided by Chris Liphart earlier in the thread. But these are the instructions:

Compaq C712NR and iATKOS v4i

BIOS settings: SATA Native System <Disabled>

First boot device should be HD, second CD/DVD

Boot into iATKOS v4i DVD by pressing f10 at boot (you only have a few seconds)

At welcome screen, go to Utilities – Disk Utilities

Select drive and future OSX partition

Select Erase

Volume Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Name: whatever you want, but must be one word…no spaces

Press the Erase button

Exit Disk Utilities

At Welcome screen, select "Continue"

At the next screen, select "Agree"

Select the partition you prepared in Disk Utilities, and press "Continue"

On the install Summary screen, select "Customize"

Under the Package Name check the following, only:

iATKOS v4i Main System

Darwin Bootloader

Stock Files

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

Kernel 9.4.0

Additional Patches

SMBIOS drivers

AppleSMBIOS netkas

Drivers

VGA

Intel

GMA X3100

System

SATA

"Space Required" should show 5.1 GB "Press "Done"

On the Install Summary press "Install"

It is ok to skip the "Checking Installation DVD" if the disk has worked before. If not I would do it.

Let installer do it's thing……..about 20 min.

When finished "Reboot"

System should boot into the Darwin Bootloader (if blinking curser see appendix A)

There should be no need to press any key, system should boot into "Song & show"

Enter personal info (after show) and you should have "Sound, WiFi, USB, QE/CI"

APPENDIX A.

If you suffer from the dreaded blinking curser, follow these steps:

Boot any OSX86 Leopard DVD (f10), when prompted, press f8

At boot prompt press –s (single user mode) enter

Much text will load, then you will come to a that looks like –sh-3.2#

At this prompt type the following: (each line, pressing enter for each line)

fdisk –e /dev/rdisk0

flag 1

update

write

exit

reboot

On reboot….system should work.

I didn't have to use the Appendix A section and hopefully you won't either :P

PS I'm running on a stock Compaq Presario c714NR not a c712NR and it worked fine.

Thanks again KennyP

and here's the IO80211Family.kext:

My wireless is running just fine. I haven't had any cutouts at all. I'm uploading my IO80211Family.kext here. It's from the Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo. While networking worked out of the box, I installed it with Vanilla's "a" kexts (shouldn't we start calling that the "Essential Kext Pack" or something? lol) because I knew it worked, so the out-of-the-box networking didn't get a chance to fail.

Hope that all helps

• 2 weeks later...

Okay now, i am trying to update my kaly 10.5.2 to 10.5.5 or 10.5.6 but everytime i download and install the update from apple update it will not boot up afterward? any instructions on how to update to 10.5.5 or 10.5.6? thanks

Anyone gotten 10.5.6 installed? I just reinstalled with 10.5.4, and I'll probably avoid moving to 10.5.5 (it kills Time Machine for me, something that 10.5.6 is supposed to fix), but when trying to get to 10.5.6, the computer gives me a kernel panic and I have to reinstall.

Sorry for the absence the past few months; I've been beta testing Windows 7 since September, so I haven't had the time to work with Leopard. Glad to be back though! A bit off topic, but just so you guys know, Windows 7 runs amazingly on our model, WAY better than Vista. Just for those dual-booters out there. :)

Hi Chris,

I installed iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 as it runs perfectly on my c751. I did attempt to do the 10.5.6 update but I had issues with USB ports mounting, no keyboard and trackpad issues and a few boot issues. So I'm back on iDeneb 1.3 for now.

Mysticus C is working on a post 10.5.6 patch and a 10.5.6 post patch to help people to the 10.5.6 update. May want to see what that does for you. Or wait on maybe that new iPC 10.5.6 ISO to come out of beta.

Also I recently sent you a message on Deviant Art. Was interested in knowing if you had a large high res. Picture of that Apple/Compaq logo by chance? Maybe to make a skin of it

Thanks and welcome back

Hi Chris,

I installed iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 as it runs perfectly on my c751. I did attempt to do the 10.5.6 update but I had issues with USB ports mounting, no keyboard and trackpad issues and a few boot issues. So I'm back on iDeneb 1.3 for now.

Mysticus C is working on a post 10.5.6 patch and a 10.5.6 post patch to help people to the 10.5.6 update. May want to see what that does for you. Or wait on maybe that new iPC 10.5.6 ISO to come out of beta.

Also I recently sent you a message on Deviant Art. Was interested in knowing if you had a large high res. Picture of that Apple/Compaq logo by chance? Maybe to make a skin of it

Thanks and welcome back

Unfortunately, when I made the logo, I only made it in a small form for icons. I'm reinstalling Illustrator right now so I can size it up for you. Any particular size?

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it. No particular size I guess. Just large and hugh resolution. Just of the logo you have at the bottom of your sig.

I actually would luke to use the image to get a skin made from it. That way I can cover the Compaq logo on the back of the laptop. Also would make a nice wallpaper.

Not sure what size is needed for either of those.

Relaty really appreciate it. I have in general been looking for somethi g to use for a long time and your image fits the best I think

Do any of you guys want me to do a retail vanilla install and post the instructions? If so, I'll do it the first of the week. The only part of the vanilla install that has to be touched is adding audio, and ps2 trackpad support. I also need to know if you want duel booting, and if so what other OS, xp is easy, Vista is more work. Let me know.

Kenny

BTW, retail install has the same issues (audio jacks, mic, fan after sleep) Also, for a retail install, you must start with a 10.5.4 DVD, the 10.5.1 DVD will not work with our graphics.

That would be cool Kenny. I hopefully I can get a 10.5.4 DVD around. This is with using that Bootloader method? And would allow for direct Apple Kernel Updates?

I'm interested in plain OS X only installs, as well as multi-boot with either XP or Vista (whichever you perfer). Maybe once I get time I will help work on multi-boot methods for other OSes, hopefully more here will also help out.

Do any of you guys want me to do a retail vanilla install and post the instructions? If so, I'll do it the first of the week. The only part of the vanilla install that has to be touched is adding audio, and ps2 trackpad support. I also need to know if you want duel booting, and if so what other OS, xp is easy, Vista is more work. Let me know.

Kenny

BTW, retail install has the same issues (audio jacks, mic, fan after sleep) Also, for a retail install, you must start with a 10.5.4 DVD, the 10.5.1 DVD will not work with our graphics.

Kenny, your sig says you're running iAtkos 4i updated to 10.5.6 on your laptop. What method did you use to get to 10.5.6, and are you having the issues that Zeroburn had?

Zeroburn, I'll get the logo sized way up for you today. :D