Leopard is the New Vista, and It's Pissing Me Off

Alessandro17

38 posts in this topic

Same here. That guy's probably trying to run silly apps that likely require obscure libraries or something that haven't been ported over to Leo yet. I have not had any kernel panics or any major crashes with Leopard.

if i was being honest, i've seen leopard crash before, but a restart usually fixes it.

then again, for him who used both vista and leopard, and giving an unbiased feel for both, i have to agree that tiger is more stable given the time and updates it has been through. I think the same principal applies, give leopard some time and apple'll sort out its kinks, and definitely do it way faster than microsoft ever will for vista.

dont flame me for this.

Same here. That guy's probably trying to run silly apps that likely require obscure libraries or something that haven't been ported over to Leo yet. I have not had any kernel panics or any major crashes with Leopard.

I had some Kernel Panics with Leo kexts, but they are known issues with Nforce Motherboards, never with apps.

And I have severe problems on Vista with apps (own MS ones) and mostly with drivers graphic and wireless are the most problematic.

pff, that guy is a {censored}!

i have leopard on my imac and i had only one little problem: when i logged out, the computer freezes. that's just because leopard is only a month old! vista has far more issues (and vista is almost a year old) and microsoft waits very long until they bring out a service pack.

it's better than tiger, and when we wait a few months, apple will have released new updates and it will be the best os ever made!

vista has far more issues (and vista is almost a year old) and microsoft waits very long until they bring out a service pack.

With Vista x32, I had 0 issues. None. Zilch. With Leopard I haven't had any issues either to be perfectly honest, but I do agree with Oliver Rist in the sense that Time Machine sucks.

when i logged out, the computer freezes.

That's a really serious issue.

Lets face it, Vista is such a flop that they have to pass the FUD to Leopard and if Leopard was not delayed because of the iphone they wouldn't be saying this. Vista is a ripoff for the price and in the end people have to shift the blame over because of their {censored} purchase.

For me Leopard has been very stable indeed, not one app has crashed and Safari is superb, Again lets face it expect problems on hack but it's been far more stable then Vista overall in regard to app/system stability.

Bottom line for me: Leopard works better and makes me more productive than Vista. On PC hardware, no less. Once I got EFI installed and working properly and ditched the glitchy speed-step extension, I haven't had a single problem with Leo.

It boots faster than Vista.

The UI is better laid out and far more inuitive than Vista.

The security procedures are less intrusive than Vista.

It's fun to use. Vista isn't.

Sure, it's easy to denigrate style as not necessary, but the simple fact is that we all use computers for work and for play. If the OS is a chore to use, or if it lacks a certain flare, that work becomes even more tedious. Leopard (and Tiger, for that matter) simply look and feel *more fun* than Vista, which comes off as a slightly washed out amateur attempt at punching up the stark but functional XP interface.

Do stacks suck? Yeah, they do. I've got the 'Drawers' icons which make them quite a bit more useful, but the overall concept just doesn't work very well.

Is Time Machine at least 60% hype? Sure, but we've all seen the Reality Distortion Field in action. It's hardly news that Apple has over-hyped a feature.

They've got a great marketing department and grafting the funky interface over top of a fairly simple backup feature was a winning solution to draw more attention to the OS. All the hype over Vista's 'Ultimate Extras' with absolutely no results a year later is surely worse than over-hyping an existing feature that does what it's advertised to do.

What it comes down to for me is that OS X is a far better platform than either XP or Vista. Be it Tiger or Leopard, I enjoy using Apple's product more than Microsoft's while still remaining productive.

oh yes, Leo runs faster on my rigs, even without QE/CI on my Dell lappy, copying or transmitting files on Vista is painful.

We can make a poll, had you have problems with which OS, Vista or Leopard?

Anyone noticed this line in the article:

A month of using Leopard with the same software I had under Tiger and the OS has dumped six times.

Everyone knows that some software for Tiger don't work on Leopard. This really reminds me of that guy who tried running Shapeshifter for Tiger on Leopard, thereby screwing up his system badly.

In my opinion, Leopard is awesome and runs smoothly, no crashes.

Although i agree with you.....

I'm one of those that run silly apps just for the fun of it!?

AND I HAVE NEVER GOTTEN MY 1.5.1 TO CRASH!!!!

B

Having recently received a new Dell XPS 420, Leopard is noticeably faster than Vista.

I'm not a huge fan of some of the GUI elements in Vista but that is more personal preference. (although I swear they are trying to hard in some places)

What amazes me that with a Quad core CPU I was getting intermediate pauses/busy states in Vista.

I have Vista and Tiger installed, and hoping to try Leopard soon. But what I want to say is that Vista 64-bit has been perfectly stable for a year on my computer, and no viruses either. I dont think stability is an issue on any modern OS any longer, unless you have archaic hardware. For me it comes down to liking Tiger more.

Lets face it, Vista is such a flop that they have to pass the FUD to Leopard and if Leopard was not delayed because of the iphone they wouldn't be saying this. Vista is a ripoff for the price and in the end people have to shift the blame over because of their {censored} purchase.

:)

I'm not going to lie: Leopard has crashed at least 10 times on me since I've installed it on launch day.

And I'm on an actual Mac!

And no, I'm not stupid and all the programs I have have been updated for Leopard. Besides, the only programs I leave on nearly 24/7 are Safari and Mail. And Leopard usually crashes when its coming back from screen saver when I leave it on overnight.