Leopard is the New Vista, and It's Pissing Me Off

Alessandro17

38 posts in this topic

Wow, I'm amazed so many people have had problems with Leopard. I've been running my Hackintosh 24/7 since I installed it, only rebooted 2 or 3 times, and it's still solid as a rock. Sure, an application will occasionally lock up (9 out of 10 times it's Azerus :thumbsup_anim:), but forcing a close on an app is simple and painless, and not a fault of the OS.

Maybe I've just had better luck.

With Vista x32, I had 0 issues. None. Zilch. With Leopard I haven't had any issues either to be perfectly honest, but I do agree with Oliver Rist in the sense that Time Machine sucks.

That's a really serious issue.

Yeah, time machine is {censored}.

Contrary to some, I do like Leopard's interface refinements. Running this on my a MacBook and MacBook Pro I have found several problems.

1. The system fan runs... and runs A LOT! Under Tiger, I only really noticed it when running something like Photoshop. In Leopard, I can have only Apple mail open and it will rev up. The CPU temp is showing its running a little hot. Not a terribly big deal but why hear the jet engine noise when I don't have to?

2. System hangs. I sometimes have to reboot to get the system to eject a disc. Other times, it just hangs for a few seconds... sometimes maybe even a minute or more. I have 2GB memory so this is plain stupid. Tiger never did that.

3. The battery life on BOTH these laptops have been easily halved. It really is unacceptable. Sure, I guess I could go online and learn what to disable to slim down the power demands on these things but they're freaking Macs... what happened to elegance of design and function? I might agree with a slight difference between Tiger and Leo but forget this.

4. What is with these cleverly disguised "blue screens of death?" Am I suddenly running a Microsoft OS? Sure, the system just freezes and I get this message telling me my system must be restarted and to hold down the power button in like 4 languages. It's better looking than a blue screen but the point is exactly the same. As Alicia Silverstone would say, "AS IF!!!"

Before you think I use exotic programs., I really don't. Apple Mail, Safari, and Pages '08. I've installed and updated Adobe CS 3 but haven't a need for it yet. Also, since moving to Leopard I installed Toast Titanium 8 and used it just once. I've been careful not to add anything else. I left all my software experimentation behind and only installed the stuff I might actually use. This is the extent of it so far.

When I get the time, I am "upgrading to an older, more familiar experience" until Leopard becomes a bit more consistent. To those who have experienced no problem what so ever, kudos to you. Being that I am not one, I can only assume a good Leopard experience is the rule not the exception.

Again? what's wrong with {censored}?

Political Correctness....

"That is so {censored}... and not in a homosexual way!" I first heard that uttered by a naive young Mormon girl. Her rather awkward attempt at political correctness cracked me up. The {censored} guy at the end of the cubical row laughed so hard he literally cried.

Nothing's wrong with being {censored}... well, as long as you're {censored}. And if you're not? Good for you too. The mantra "live and let live" is something we should all aspire to. Don't get too hung up on it all. Words are sometimes just words... even if they're less than scholarly. There might have been a time when the reasoning ALWAYS went, "this is lame, being {censored} is lame, so this must be {censored} also!" It is becoming more evident that many now use the word "{censored}" without running through that more prejudicial deduction. HAPPY, HOMOSEXUAL, and now LAME. Interesting how words seem to have a life of their own. You'd be surprised how many seemingly innocent expressions have a more nocuous past.

I think Leopard is great expect a few minor bugs. I am sure they will fix those very soon, Like apple does everytime.

People today are so inm spoiled wise Operating system wise. With new things you must expect some bugs.

I have installed Leopard 10.5.1 on my :

G4 1.42 MAC MINI / 512 RAM / 80 GB SATA

1.82 MacBook / 160 SATA / 1.25 GB ram

1.8 Dual G5 / 2 GB RAM / 500 GB

2.14 Intel Duo 2 / 1.5GB ram / 250 GB

All work perfectly : fresh installs

-MacX