ATIRadeon9700 Patch?

sniperviper

313 posts in this topic

AGPGart i think is having incompatibilities with callisto.. :) it is either you get QE/CI or get bus recognized as AGP..

I seem to have both using agpgart 2.1 and calisto Res changes CI hardware QE enabled but there is QE 2D as there was in tiger

found agpgart 2.1 finally.. will try it first..

thanks for the hint..

we almost have the same card numberonekiwi. what specific method that you used to get QE/CI for leopard? thanks..

I used this method

UPDATE!!!

After some testing, I figured out how I got QE working, and others can't-- I used TIGER kexts! Specifically, I used:

ATIRadeon9700.kext

ATIRadeon9700DVDDriver.bundle

ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin

ATIRadeon9700VADriver.bundle

ATIRadeonDVDDriver.bundle

ATIRadeonGA.plugin

ATIRadeonGLDriver.bundle-- ALL FORM TIGER!

ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle-- from build 9a321!

When I tried using the patched Leopard kexts, I got the black/blue screen. Apparently the problem lies in other kexts as well... :unsure:

apart from this

ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle-- from build 9a321! used method as suggested after then and copied the driver from x1000GLDriver.Bundle to 9700GLDriver.Bundle

Could someone put up a link for ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle from build 9a321. Thank you alot.

numberonekiwi:

After getting QE and CI, is your graphic alot faster. Can you run Cover Flow?

cover flow ? not sure what that is but I cant get dvd video to work as well as some other video formats mpg works fine

Hello,

How it is possible to get ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle from leo build 9a321 without downloading the whole 9a321 DVD ?

or is there any chance to have a full patch (package to install) for AGP radeon 9600XT 256Mo to make QE / CI hardware accelation working

under leo 10.5 / 10.5.1 ?

Thanks !

Hi,

Here my two cents on installing my ASUS Radeon 9600 AGP card. After browsing through this thread and getting help from some of the people here, I could get QE/CI AGP with Emcee1111's method:

(Copied from emcee1111's post)

1. remove ATIRadeon9700.kext, ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin

2. install old 10.4.8 ATIRadeon9700.Kext and ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin

3. install callisto, with callisto instructions that come with it

a. follow callisto faq QE/CI for ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin!!!

4. remove ATIRadeon9700GLDriver inside ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle. The path is Contents/MacOS

5. copy ATIRadeonX100GLDriver (version 10.5.1) in the directory where you have delete the ATIRadeon9700GLDriver and rename as ATIRadeon9700GLDriver ( the internal path is the same Contents/MacOS )

6. remove ATINDRV.kext and copy Natit (Natit_ATIauto.kext.zip)

7. set the attribs in new files (meybe it's not important because afer you must repair a permissions)

a. sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/file name

b. sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/file name

8. repair a permissions

9. reboot with -f parameter or delete Extensions.mkext

(Note that in the 10.5.1 iAtkos release, there is no driver in the ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle! This is probably why you can not get CI/QE with just Callisto, which worked for my card under 10.4.8).

The good thing: the card is AGP detected (via Natit) and has CI/QE (Callisto + 10.4.8. driver inserted in the *GL.bundle)

For my card the bad thing was that things got very sloppy, lot of tearing (even Mouse locator did not help much, iTunes totally 'teared away'), no cover flow, 90%transparant menu, I didn;t even try to play a movie.

My solution: Picked up a 40$ AGP Geforce 6200 card at Fry's (by EVGA, 256MB)! With NVInject (Leo only, 0.1.3) everything worked 'out-of-box'. Very smooth graphics, coverflow, movies, correct menu, and, no tearing whatsoever!

My advice: if you have 40$ to spare and want graphics as smooth as on the real thing, buy another 'tested' card! For me its the best 40$ spend in months...

My solution: Picked up a 40$ AGP Geforce 6200 card at Fry's (by EVGA, 256MB)! With NVInject (Leo only, 0.1.3) everything worked 'out-of-box'. Very smooth graphics, coverflow, movies, correct menu, and, no tearing whatsoever!

My advice: if you have 40$ to spare and want graphics as smooth as on the real thing, buy another 'tested' card! For me its the best 40$ spend in months...

Unfortunately some of us have laptops with built in ATI cards. For my desktop hackintosh I got an ATI x1600 that I knew was supported, but I can't afford a new laptop now, so for the moment I guess I'm stuck without CI/QE. I wish I had known about osx86 before I bought my laptop and I wouldn't have paid extra to upgrade the video card from the GMA 900 :D

My Laptop is challenged in such a way that the 9700 Mobility AGP card is not to be changed, it has a pentiumM SSE2 cpu so upgrading/changing anything is out of the question.

Acer Travelmate 290 series (Travelmate 292LMi, PentiumM 1.5Ghz, 2Gb Ram, AGP Ati 9700 Mobility, centrino (2200IWI wireless driver), ethernet, dvd-burner all working splendid on 10.4.9: Jas 10.4.8 -> 10.4.9 with SSE2 universal kernel is working great

Callisto & a patched 9700GA kext give me resolution change, QE and CI but no DVD playback with the DVD player. VLC works great though.

Leopard Kalyway 10.5.1 might be able to run on my laptop, but the 9700 situation doesn't help. I am thinking about installing it next to the 10.4.9 installment to see if I can get it to work with the 9700 properly with help of the tips of the kind folk over here. I'll keep you guys posted.

Hi wark1970!

Our systems are very identical. I tried Kalyway 10.5.1 and was able to install it. I just need to use AppleSMBIOS from paulicat to get it to boot but the system is almost unusable because of the lack of QE/CI for our cards. we might be stuck with tiger. ^_^ Hope someone can come up with a solution and I think everyone who posted here in this thread are willing to help.

Hi!

Tryed all things in this thread two times, but i can't get CI/QE on my Radeon x300 enabled.

I used the ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle and some various Tiger kexts, with Callisto/Koverg/Natit, but n othing works.

Anyone got the x300 working in 10.5.1 or can give some help, what to do?

My System:

System Version:	Mac OS X 10.5.1 (9B18)
Kernel Version:	Darwin 9.1.0

Radeon Mobility M300 (M22):

Chipset Model:	Radeon Mobility M300 (M22)
 Type:	Display
 Bus:	PCIe
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	128 MB
 Vendor:	ATI (0x1002)
 Device ID:	0x5460
 Revision ID:	0x0000
 Displays:
Color LCD:
 Resolution:	1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
 Depth:	32-bit Color
 Core Image:	Software
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Quartz Extreme:	Not Supported

Thanks!

Traxmaxx

anyone, please share all necessary kext and driver. I can't find enough kext that mentioned on this topic.

Thank you.

I think this project is dead. One or two people have gotten the ATI9700 kext cards (x600, x800, etc) by installing release 9a321 using pacifist and a patched kernel. There appears to be a major change after build 9a321, so short of writing yourself a new driver using build 9a321 is the only option known to work.

Look back through for rapidshare if you want the kexts, but nothing has worked along those lines.

Well, As far as my x600 card goes, it's more than capable of running QE/CI. The only hurdle is getting the extensions to render the graphics properly. As far as writing an extension myself, I could give it a try, provided that I get some help, as I don't have much knowledge of that. Believe it or not, I only started using macs a few months ago. I'm suprised how fast I picked up what I know now, so anything's possible.

Believe me, I would not be going through all this if I could just buy a Mac. I'm sure others would agree with me. Since I can't afford one, I can only make do with a PC. I tell you, Macs are a worse drug than heroin... :hysterical:

Anyway, if anyone wants to enlighten me on what I would have to do too create a kext/driver for my x600, or if there's any other way I can help, please don't hesitate to tell me. Thanks!

Confirm Progress ATI X600 Mobitly

Goopnzaopleopz9, thx for you help and tell me, if i can help you for your kext.

at this time i have ci qe with 9700 tiger's kext (10.4.8),calisto3 , Natit_ATIauto.kext.zip and ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle from 9a321.

it's a progress but i can't play any video on quicktime and VLC

Hello Evok

Just saw your message on insanely mac about needing a mobility radeon 9700 driver for 10.51

Me too, did you get one?

Let me know please

Many thanks

Max

Hi Everyone :(

I've just install Leopard 1.5.1 on my laptop, and just like you all, I need mobility radeon 9700's driver huhu ! I've read the post and there is some good news about an issues ^^

So I'm waiting for the working driver huhu !

If I can be usefull ... tell me 'cause I'm realy realy new around here !

Evok

If I may interject a comment here. I've read the majority of this thread, not all of it, but I try to keep an eye on it because I have an X300SE laying around somewhere.

From my understanding:

Writing a kext is not the problem here. You would need to write a driver bundle for the card. That would include the OpenGL, CI, and QE support. Natit is not a driver, it is merely a utility for telling the OS to use a driver for hardware that it would not naturally think of using it for. The problem here is that the 9700 no longer has a supported bundle. Furthermore, Leopard has had many changes to the OpenGL and Core Image stack from the beta versions to present. The bundles used must have compatibility with these changes. Writing one from scratch would be ridiculous, porting one from Linux would be tedious at best, and reversing engineering the Apple driver is... well...

I'm not saying you shouldn't try, I'm all for getting stuff working. If you want to continue to try, I support you 100%. I just wanted you to know exactly what you are dealing with. However, there comes a point where it is cheaper to buy a supported card then to spend the hours to make that particular one work. The GMA 900 is another such example. The got so far as to hardcode in every ID with old kexts and the 950 bundle, making the system think that CI and QE was enabled. However, every function that depends on it fails and it truly does not work because the support isn't there.

As sarcastic as it may seem, your best bet would be writing Apple and asking for the source code. We simply just don't have the data to hack for some hardware on Leopard. Its sad, very sad.

Stevo