ATIRadeon9700 Patch?

sniperviper

313 posts in this topic

We have been discussing this in an older post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=70102

Basically we came to the same conclusion-- the Radeon 9700 GL drivers in Leopard are compiled PPC-only. It would be useful if anyone out there with a copy of an earlier developer build of Leopard could check the following file to see if it's universal or not.

/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700GLDriver

Previous Leopard builds had QE/CI out-of-the-box with Radeon 9x00. If someone still has a previous build, please upload the ATI* files from the Extensions folder.

Is that right? which version of older leopard build should I chase?

Can anyone check older build to see if the driver has intel executable in it?

I'm just dying to get my QE/CI back :worried_anim:

Thanks all

awesome. gotta try that out.

I'd like to keep my 9a581 install though. Is there a way, once I put my hand on the DMG, to go in the install files and only extract the Radeon* install folders? (and then I can replace my 9a581's with them). Is there any util that can go peek inside Leopard's installation files?

Thanks man

I tried using a559 kext for ATI 9700. I have an AGP 9600xt. No benefit seen. I am using AGPGart 1.0 and Callisto. It is seen as an AGP card and I get multiple rez no matter what versions of the kext I use. Hovever no QE/CI hardware acceleration. If I don't set the framebuffer to CallistoFB I don't get any mouse tracks. Otherwise I do, but none of the QE/CI advantages. Oh well, maybe I'll just live with it. Better yet, maybe I'll get a compatible video card.

Reptar, did you replace all of the /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700* extensions and bundles with the 9A559 versions? Or just the main driver? I am speculating that it is the GL driver that's causing the problem with 9A581, but I could be wrong.

I obtained 9A559 and used Pacifist to extract the ATI drivers. The 9700 GL driver is PPC-only there too. :)

For 9A581:

$ cd /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS

$ ls -l

total 10616

-rwxr-r-x 1 root wheel 5432640 19 Sep 01:40 ATIRadeon9700GLDriver

$ file ./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver

./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures

./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver (for architecture ppc): Mach-O bundle ppc

./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver (for architecture ppc64): Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64

$ md5 ./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver

MD5 (./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver) = 05487c97d7d87d1322911d29824b0a5f

$

For 9A559:

$ cd 9a559-extract

$ cd ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS

$ ls -l

total 10616

-rwxr-r-x 1 root wheel 5432640 19 Sep 01:40 ATIRadeon9700GLDriver

$ file ./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver

./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures

./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver (for architecture ppc): Mach-O bundle ppc

./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver (for architecture ppc64): Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64

$ md5 ./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver

MD5 (./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver) = 99d39d3714ed1c11c0106c341b31b34a

$

So no good news. :P

Same problems here :\ Someone can imagine other way to solve this problem? Without that Leo is useless to me (and other posters here..) For now I've cleared out Leo and get back to Tiger, but I'm still hoping that someday... :(

Great searching effecks.

What are the earliest releases of leopard? we could 'file' the 9700 driver there if it was removed right at the beginning of leopard... if so then it's probably not worth going down that route trying to chase the latest i386 enabled driver :P

I think I remember seeing a 9a3xx dvd somewhere on the torrents... did anyone keep a list of releases?

hi@all!

seems to be a very tricky task...

i tried all the ATIRadeon9700*.kext files from:

10.5 9a466

10.5 9a499

10.5 9a527

unfortunately no success in getting pure universal binaries :-(

there MUST be another way to enable the core engine effects!

please don't give up. it's a challenge - and we should win ;-)

gtx

sniper

I was just about to install Leopard on my IBM T42 with a Mobility 9600 when I found this thread. Any idea why the Tiger kexts don't work? I'd be happy to do some testing if someone would be kind enough to send me the appropriate kexts. Thanks.

Dustin

sniperviper, can you run the "file" command on the ATIRadeon9700GLDriver binary in 9A466 as I showed in my above post? I just want to get confirmation that this file is compiled PPC-only in the older Leopard builds as well. (You said it doesn't work, but it's not clear if there's something else wrong.)

sniperviper, can you run the "file" command on the ATIRadeon9700GLDriver binary in 9A466 as I showed in my above post? I just want to get confirmation that this file is compiled PPC-only in the older Leopard builds as well. (You said it doesn't work, but it's not clear if there's something else wrong.)

I have 466 so I gave it a shot. Here's the output:

file ./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver

./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver: Mach-O bundle i386

Does this mean what I think it does???

I'm going to try it now, I'll report back here if it works (if I can type while jumping up and down, that is!)

No go, but I'm not giving up yet...

I've modified a lot of settings and kexts trying to get QE/CI, so maybe one of those is creating a problem. Next I'll try a clean install with ToH (well not clean cuz you can't get past the welcome screen but I've been thinking maybe you can if there's a user folder already on the system) and replace the ATI9700* with 466 versions.

Let me know if you have any ideas, anyone...

spockers,

The problem is in the ATIRadeon9700GLDriver executable. More precisely, execute the following on your various Leopard distributions:

$ file /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700GLDriver

This will tell you what kind of executable code (ppc, i386 or both) is present in the executable.

The problem is in the GL framework for the ATIRaden97000, not the ATIRadeon9700.kext itself. We've proven that the .kext has i386 executable code, so it's not the problem. The problem is they've removed i386 code from the Radeon9700GLDriver, hence the reason why the driver can't talk to the GL framework and why QE/CI doesn't get enabled.

By executing the previous command to earlier distributions we might find an early enough version of the driver that still has some i386 code but yet implements the new open GL framework.

Until you've proven that your GL framework does have i386 code you're basically shooting blanks and loosing your time.

Thanks for the work, man!

spockers,

The problem is in the ATIRadeon9700GLDriver executable. More precisely, execute the following on your various Leopard distributions:

$ file /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700GLDriver

This will tell you what kind of executable code (ppc, i386 or both) is present in the executable.

The problem is in the GL framework for the ATIRaden97000, not the ATIRadeon9700.kext itself. We've proven that the .kext has i386 executable code, so it's not the problem. The problem is they've removed i386 code from the Radeon9700GLDriver, hence the reason why the driver can't talk to the GL framework and why QE/CI doesn't get enabled.

By executing the previous command to earlier distributions we might find an early enough version of the driver that still has some i386 code but yet implements the new open GL framework.

Until you've proven that your GL framework does have i386 code you're basically shooting blanks and loosing your time.

Thanks for the work, man!

Look back 4 posts and you'll see that I did that :)