a little birdie tweets - 9A559

ukp

1,058 posts in this topic

Any chance I can get any of you (I'm looking at you Numberz) to answer a couple quick questions about what was (possibly) changed?

Questions:

1. Was the display of the new dock on the left or right side of the screen improved/changed at all? (In 9A528d it looks horrible on the side)
  2. Do webclips work for anyone who had problems with them in previous builds? (Not working at all for me on 9A528d)
  3. I have heard that stacks are customizable, does this mean 9A528d or pre-9A527 functionality?

Thanks in advance :D

1.picture2dm2.png

2. webclips do work

3. nothing that wasnt in 528d

Not that it's at all relevant to this thread but since others have mentioned it already - Steve's home computer is a 20" iMac (or was as of June). He uses several MacBook Pro's (wonder how he keeps them in sync or if he even bothers). There was a pic of his office up at one point and I think he used a PowerMac G5 with one 30" display and a wireless keyboard/mouse. Very plain glass desk.

as far as i know, stacks can not be customised in 9a528d

are you saying that in 9a559 they can't be customised either?

p.s.

by customising, i mean ability to drag and drop select applications

u can add, remove apps, but removing them from the stack will also remove them from the folder >:D

Here are some photos i took of quick look and stacks a little while ago.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/calgarytochin...57602125538966/

Thanks for the awesome pics. Seems like there is an anti aliasing issue with stacks. The photo frame of a couple images and some icons such as JPEG and the folder need to be smooth out. Also, why is there no previews for JPEGs in stacks? I have no problems in terms of legibility of text on the new menu bar, but something about it just looks kinda cheap. I don't know, I think Apple probably should have added an option to turn off the opaque look. Shadows around icons in the Dock remain another sticking issue. I can understand soft shadows, but the new Dock seems to have distorted this appearance. The battery icon in the menu bar is also another problem, its still not updated to have that etched out look of other icons beside it. The interface needs to be tightened up a bit more I feel before GM.

Also, the Dock animation needs to conform to the new look of the Dock, its a 3D floor, which means, when you enable animations and you hover over an icon, it moves forward, instead of just getting big.

Thanks for the awesome pics. Seems like there is an anti aliasing issue with stacks. The photo frame of a couple images and some icons such as JPEG and the folder need to be smooth out. Also, why is there no previews for JPEGs in stacks? I have no problems in terms of legibility of text on the new menu bar, but something about it just looks kinda cheap. I don't know, I think Apple probably should have added an option to turn off the opaque look. Shadows around icons in the Dock remain another sticking issue. I can understand soft shadows, but the new Dock seems to have distorted this appearance. The battery icon in the menu bar is also another problem, its still not updated to have that etched out look of other icons beside it. The interface needs to be tightened up a bit more I feel before GM.

Also, the Dock animation needs to conform to the new look of the Dock, its a 3D floor, which means, when you enable animations and you hover over an icon, it moves forward, instead of just getting big.

Im not sure why those JPEGS did not show the preview in those photos because looking at it now shows it fine.

Would it be possible for a few people who now have it downloaded, to hop on the TPB torrent and seed, if compatible.

I second the request. Can a few people please help seed :)

Sorry to ask but it is so slow! I have yet to see a complete seeder :D

If you can help us mac macs, thanks in advance!!

when I saw that front row had been changed to look almost like apple tv I was not happy:(

but after using it, I like it much more than 1.0. Mostly because it's alot snappier and just has a better UI IMO.

What is the best/smallest IR reciever to use with the apple remote?

I want something small to use with my vaio notebook!

This topic is not about sharing 9A559, but discussions of the build itself. Seriously people.

excuse us

the thread title (or the original post) is not restricting us to discussions of the build itself only

so yeah, anyone can discuss anything, so long as it's concerning 9a559

As far as I know, discussions about sharing and downloading is frowned upon in this forum. Previous threads have been cleared out of such before. Keep sharing info private - for the sake of the sharers, this forum and the places where such things are shared.Besides it's just clutter for people who want real info on this build.

The new Front Row UI is an improvement in many respects. However, the new volume bezel is downright fugly. Blurry, banded gradient and a reflection? Blech.

Also I hate the new blue skim bars (as well as the blue bar of the bezel) and the new skimming functionality. Back and forward a percentage? It's way too much, and goes back to the same spot every time. Old functionality was much better. Forward 30 seconds, back 5. Much easier to navigate that way. Perfect for skipping TV-show intros.

Oh, and Safari is downright amazing right now. So incredibly fast and smooth! Especially after getting an adblocking host file edit in place ;)Too bad it crashes about the same as in the previous builds though. Oh well, can't win them all...

I absolutely love Safari, but can't see making it my browser yet unless some key features are added without third party addons. Firefox is where it's at right now. Give me address bar shortcuts, opening all links in a new tab, and session restore, and we'll talk. Firefox ftw.

about this forum's rules:

the reason we look down upon people telling where to download things is because this site is about hacking pcs to run os x, so this site is always closely watched by apple, so we have to be careful about what we say.

regarding the front row stuff:

i actually like the line instead of the 16 blips they have, but if they are going to implement it system wide, they do have to increase the transparecy of the window if they want it to look good, maybe a little lighter color(maybe the color of backround windows??)

I absolutely love Safari, but can't see making it my browser yet unless some key features are added without third party addons. Firefox is where it's at right now. Give me address bar shortcuts, opening all links in a new tab, and session restore, and we'll talk. Firefox ftw.

Command shift click will open a link in a new tab and select it while command click just opens the link in a new tab.

Not sure what you mean by address bar shotcuts though.

While it is sad that Apple has disallowed InputManagers (so there's no SAFT, Inquisition or PicLens anymore), Safari do have a session restore feature now. It's under the history menu.

Make sure you also select "Open links from applications in a new tab in the current window"

Combine this with an etc/hosts adblocker, and you'll be 90% of the way there.

As for an Input Manager replacement, the guys over at 1Passwd has apparently figured a "cleaner" way of adding third party addons to Safari though.

http://switchersblog.com/2007/08/31/the-en...g-mac-os-x.html

I know about command/command-shift + click, I haven't been able to get into the habit of doing that, though. Shortcuts are designating a shortcut to commonly used URLs. Example, I type "im" in my address bar and it takes me to InsanelyMac, "mr" takes me to MacRumors, "eng" is Engadget, etc.

Not to stop discussing Safari. . . but what "issues" are you, the community seeing w/ this build vs. previous builds? So far I haven't really read any show-stoppers comparing to earlier builds (aka "copying data from a Mac to PC may cause corrupt files". . .yikes). Has issues like this been cleared up?

First post btw. I've been lurking around this site for a very long time, I do apologize, but normally, I simply have nothing to say.

:boxing:

But in this case, a nice bug list similar to other builds discussed here, would be nice to review.

Thoughts?

(My main concern is my aging 1.2 G4, 2 gig RAM, PowerMac, will start to really show its age, and Leopard will just eat this classic desktop-beast. So any news I can read from this great community etc., will help me decide if I stand in line at my Apple Store in late October. . . and settle on Tiger being my last cat).

I know this is insanely wishful thinking, but any word on Leopard enabling some sort of Mighty Mouse "primary" and "secondary" clicking for the trackpad button on the MacBook & MacBook Pro, anyone remember this thread? Maybe I missed it, but that seems like a major topic that would have been widely publicized here.

I would really like to know if Motion works on this build. I'm itching to get Leopard back on my work machine, and Motion worked fine with the WWDC build. And even though I used it for a full working week, a few showstopping problems made me go back to Tiger. It seems later builds broke Motion though.I know iMovie still won't launch, so I fear Motion won't either.

@Taylor: Autocomplete works for me in most cases... type in eng for engadget works fine, macr for macrumors etc. etc.

I know this is insanely wishful thinking, but any word on Leopard enabling some sort of Mighty Mouse "primary" and "secondary" clicking for the trackpad button on the MacBook & MacBook Pro, anyone remember this thread? Maybe I missed it, but that seems like a major topic that would have been widely publicized here.
Two fingers on the trackpad + click gives you a right-click functionality on laptops.

I switch between Safari and Firefox much more than I'd like to. I really just want to use Safari. It's fast, it's light, and I love the UI. Oh, and it syncs wonderfully with my iPhone. I'll try using just autocomplete for awhile--I want to move away from Safari extensions for the exact reason that we're not sure of the state of plugins in Leopard.

Also, while a secondary click option would be wonderful for the trackpad button, I honestly prefer the "Tap with two fingers for a secondary click" to a separate trackpad button or a secondary click option.