What do you want to see in 10.5 (Leopard)?

Swad

221 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I want to see

1. A much faster Finder UI with Core Animation effects and flawless Resoultion Independence

2. QuartzGL (nee Quartz 2D Extreme) working well

3. Spotlight improvements with better search facilities and a new interface

4. A multi-user Core Data

5. Core Audio/Image/Video improvements

6. Safari 3 with proper AJAX support, better bookmark management and tabs. Ad a documented plugin feature as well

7. Quicktime 8 with much faster encoding and CABAC support for h.264

8. Sync Services that actually work

9. A uninstaller

10 iLife and iWork bundled and Leopard only.

I would want my DEL key to work to delete a file or multiple files when navigating through the finder. Having to drag them to the Trash bin everytime is such a...well, drag.

U got it: hold apple key + del (Mac one, mean back on windoze) I know, it was replies few times, but even I was amazed by such funny diferent "del' keys function :thumbsup_anim:

for Leo:

- "new" option for everything (yeah, even new pizza), no just new folder

- "send to" - well, I like dragging, but....

- iPhoto well, don`t improve it anymore, just ask google guys to make Picasa Mac version :thumbsup_anim:

i want to see a dual display setup where if you drag an aplication window into the other display, tthe menu bar from that aplication would move there too. i find it very annoying to have to click in the othe screen to access the menu options

Ok first I gotta say I've been a pc user up till about 2 years ago, just because of th $ factor, but envious of osx I finally saved for a powerbook which sadly was stolen a couple of months ago. And so not willing to take a step back, I find myslef here.

IMHO osx is years ahead of xp (not tried vista) and all you people that want to turn osx into windows need to check yourselves. Alot of things in osx are well thought out so you should take the time to adapt to it rather than saying "wah, wah, it's different that what im used to... make it like windows or I'll cry". If your brain can't handle new things, there's always a hack/third party app for you lot.

2 hands work better than one was always the mac way so take the time to learn your hotkeys and modifiers and you'll see how much faster you can work than using a mouse with 2 buttons.

Try it first before you whinge.

The apple-backspace makes a popup confirmation on delete unneeded and therefore faster. the apple key is your confirmation, very unlikely you'll do it by accident. (although no harm in a preference option a guess)

expose is absolutley fantastic and a much more intuitive way to sort your open windows/apps. Stop complaining about no taskbar and learn to use it. f9, f10 & f11 are your best friends.

The dock is great if you use it properly too. Work with it, customise it, if there are too many icons, get rid of everything you dont need to open frequently and drop in your applications folder as said earlier. Click gives you icons, right (ctrl) click gives you a list.

Seriously, most of you are spoilt because you didn't pay for it. It's like a foreigner coming to your home country and expecting everyone to understand his/her language. If you can't take the time to learn a new (better?) way then go back to where you're comfortable and stop complaining. I was a little disorientated/frustrated at first but it took me all of 3 weeks to adapt to the mac way and now I loath having to boot windows.

My only gripes are ofcourse the disconnected network hang... oh man that {censored} me.

and having to pay for fullscreen quicktime is just annoying. Vista is supposedly the annoying os, don't fall into that trap mac!

And it would be nice to see icon previews for more file types like pdf and html.

And come on guys, wishing for things that would only help osx86 users (non payers) is pretty silly.

And if your a cross-platform developer, dual boot or emulate. I can't see windows apps being supported nativley without opening up osx to all the security/compatabilty pitfalls of an inferior os. Alot of things are the way they for perfectly good reasons. Why have I never had to worry about spyware/adware/viruses on osx?

It's all a personal experience I am aware, but some of you guys really just need to stop be closed minded and 'let go'.

Already Resolved:

- The disconnect network hang no longer happens under 9a377a.

- All document types do icon previews in 9a377a (even ODF files if you have something installed that can read them).

What Could Happen:

- As for app compatability, Apple could always include a Wine port for Windows just as they do for X11, as an optional package.

Why Macs Rock:

- As far as the modifier clicks, I agree that in things like Photoshop, Illustrator, or hell, even World of Warcraft, the modifier clicks really seem to make sense given the other types of modifiers that are there for zooming, rotating, selecting points/curves/objects, or in WoW walking/running/jumping/drifting/diving. Although, more often than not, I find myself missing the multi-finger on touchpad for clicks on Windows machines. I absolutely love it that all Synaptics touchpads can do it in Linux though.

- Think 4 mouse buttons on a touchpad... all based on the number of fingers you put down.

Working in Maya is amazing with that feature alone.

Speaking of modifiers, just stumbled on ctrl-mouse wheel zoom thing. After using max/blender I often find myself wishing that zoom/pan was the standard mousewheel behaviour for all apps; fast and feels very natural. Never thought you could do it to your desktop tho!

• 2 weeks later...

An OS with Better performance and one which makes Windows Users jealous, and make them wonder why they ever bought a vista machine in the first place without ever thinking about a mac.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... there are a few things I'd like to see in Leopard.

1. A VERY updated Safari. I use my computer for work, and I have so much troble being the mac in the PC world. For about 20% of the sites I go to I need to switch over to parallels and use IE7.. and I hate doing that! Also I want a warning when I'm going to exit safari so I don't shut the window with 5 tabs open.. I'm a idiot and I always do that! Also I want a "save to" in the download window. So I can download to my external drive on certian files with out having to change some settings.

2. Mail. Again I use my Mac for work, and I've always had weird problems with people getting "?" in the middle of words, not getting attachments.. strange stuff. Mail needs to be more microsoft compatible for the work world. I want a mac version of outlook/entorage. I just can't stand using microsoft programs. Come on Apple.. Merge mail/adress book/ical together to one super program.

3. A Quicktime that plays EVERYTHING. I don't want to have to have Flip for Mac, and VLC player, and all the other {censored}. Just a Quicktime that plays EVERYTHING!!

4. A Updated Finder.. and I know we will get that.

5. A mac installed "App Zapper".

6. A Mac installed "Macaroni"

7. Ok.. this might sound stupid. But back in my old PC days. the windows program "paint" was so quick and easy to alter a picture, or cut part of a picture out. I just have never found any OS X installed program to work as quick and easy as paint did. I know.. stupid.. but it was so easy.

8. Hackintosh proof

Ok... there are a few things I'd like to see in Leopard.

1. A VERY updated Safari. I use my computer for work, and I have so much troble being the mac in the PC world. For about 20% of the sites I go to I need to switch over to parallels and use IE7.. and I hate doing that! Also I want a warning when I'm going to exit safari so I don't shut the window with 5 tabs open.. I'm a idiot and I always do that! Also I want a "save to" in the download window. So I can download to my external drive on certian files with out having to change some settings.

I use safari all the time and I'd say that the percentage of sites that have problems is much less than 20% What specifically are you having trouble with? I think leopard safari does now have a warning and the ability to save a link as so you can choose a destination.

2. Mail. Again I use my Mac for work, and I've always had weird problems with people getting "?" in the middle of words, not getting attachments.. strange stuff. Mail needs to be more microsoft compatible for the work world. I want a mac version of outlook/entorage. I just can't stand using microsoft programs. Come on Apple.. Merge mail/adress book/ical together to one super program.

I use outlook at work every day and it's painful I wish outlook. It's a shame the business world has fallen for M$'s closed exchange standard and locked them selves into always buying M$.

3. A Quicktime that plays EVERYTHING. I don't want to have to have Flip for Mac, and VLC player, and all the other {censored}. Just a Quicktime that plays EVERYTHING!!

You can no expect quicktime to ship with every 3rd party plugin under the sun!? but having divx codec out of the box would be good.

5. A mac installed "App Zapper".

I guess this would be nice, but I wish more developers used the application bundle standard instead of application package installers. It would also be nice if the system gave the user the chance to remove any pref files etc if the application is then deleted in the future. Apple could probably do this by having application developers embed some meta data into all the files that an application uses. Then when an application is deleted the system can do a spotlight search on this data and offer to remove the files?

7. Ok.. this might sound stupid. But back in my old PC days. the windows program "paint" was so quick and easy to alter a picture, or cut part of a picture out. I just have never found any OS X installed program to work as quick and easy as paint did. I know.. stupid.. but it was so easy.

Yes a simple paint program would be nice, even if it's an ilife style app..

I'm in the mortgage business, so I have a ton of sites that I go to that have once you put in information..it changes the drop down bars in other parts of the site. That is what I have problems with. Also some of the secure sites I have to go to won't even allow me to use safari.

sucks.. but I love safari.

I've heard this a lot about certain estate agent sites in the US.. must be a lot of bad web developers working in that industry them ;)

If sites are developed to we standards then you're mostly fine. Some sites have been written a certain way to get around rendering bugs in Internet Explorer. It's a bit sad really..

Then there's some sites that work just fine in Safari but the person who wrote the site probably copy and pasted some browser detection code that only looks for Netscape and IE browsers, thats when changing the browser ident can help you..

but anyway the above has nothing to do with Leopard does it? The guys developing safari's webkit engine are always updating it so hopefully the new version of safari can help you access the sites you want. You can probably check out the new version of the safari engine if you download the development version of Webkit.

They have a list of top sites that safari can not use that they want to get working. If the sites you are trying to access is important maybe it can be added to the list or something can be done to update safari (if it's a safari bug) or maybe contact the sites owner and get them to fix their site.