What do you want to see in 10.5 (Leopard)?

Swad

221 posts in this topic

So I guess it will be a great feature to lure developers like me. To be able to create and test windows applications on a mac. Apple if you are reading this, then its just a feature u gotta add to xcode. I hope u do it in leopard

If you develop for Windows, why not just stay in Windows?

7. In Spaces, when I click an icon in the dock for, let's say Safari, I don't want it to take me to the Space that it is open in, I want it to open a new browser window. What if I'm chatting with someone in one space and looking at a web page with them; at the same time in another space I'm building a web page and want to preview it?

That's what it's supposed to do, if you want a new window, just make a new one and drag it to the desktop you want. It's not ideal, it could act the way you want it to by right clicking Safari in the Dock and selecting New Window, but just dragging it to another Space isn't that hard, is it?

• 3 months later...

My wishlist is:

- New IU, Unified! Maybe more like Aperture or Itunes 7

- Spotlight indexing remotley on network shares (SMB)

- Safari neewds to crash less, and include Saft and more adblocking

- Better support for LCD TV-usage! We're taling about a better mediaplayer, QT just don't cut it.. More codecs and a good interface!.. Oh The new resolution system better be good!

• 2 weeks later...
i wana see games in there.

It could have some booring games like linux has and some really cool ones....

A nice art program would be nice too. Maybe the free version of ArtRage 2.0, although it's not as much fun without a tablet.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a really great addition to Server.

We already know that they are adding a Wiki, how about the addition of a forum as well that can tie the whole thing together?

Perhaps one of the major selling features could be that it would automatically flag mindless posts and hide them from the main thread.

Or, use a slashdot style system where posts are modded up and down based on content, and then you can see that they exist, but they are hidden from the thread unless you specifically click on the message.

• 2 weeks later...

My personal prediction for not only OS X 10.5 - but for Apple's systems for 2007 is that Blu-Ray DVD Burnners will become a new standard - esp. on the MacPro towers.

As for Leopard, I see Apple moving forward to unifiy the GUI to look more like iTunes 7. They've put the "smoothed plastic look" (that's the best way I can describe it) in iTunes 7, and (from what I can tell) on the iPhone - which is running Leopard. So here's my list:

- Unified GUI (iTunes 7 look)

- Invisablity and Single iChat IM windows (one window, with tabs identifing convos with different users)

- Yahoo! Support in iChat (not sure if this possible now)

- Dock Divders option - the ablity to organize a "set" of applications by dividing them (ex: All Apple shorts in one divide, next to it all Microsoft apps, next to that Adobe, next to that Macromedia, etc, etc.)

- Spring-loaded Docked folders

- A 3D Dock - have different apps on different sides and make it rotate or something

- Another minimize effect aside from Geine - make windows roll up and hide or fold in half and slip down

- New Finder features maybe tabs, better off-side preview with info, breadcrumbs like in iTMS

- Eventually, Blu-Ray DVD burning, either single or dual layer

- Games - Sol. Tetris, Free-Sel, Chess, Checkers - something!

- Multi-Restore sessions in Safari - like in FireFox 2 - if FF2 Crashes - it'll restore the sessions (websites) you were at.

- Native playback for WMV files within QT.

- Apache 2.0, PHP5, Ruby on Rails, WordPress

- Customization of Apple Remote controls (Google "mira" for details)

- Multipule Mail accounts (ex: 3 Inboxes for Home, School, and Work - not sure if it's possible now)

- Improved Photo Albums in iPhoto - Be able to set options for specific galleries (ex: 2007 > Italy - only pics of Italy will be in that gallery - Pictures moved from main gallery/library) - I hope I explained that well.

That's all I can think of right now - I'm not sure if some of these features are avalable in Tiger right now or not. Correct me if I'm wrong.

~ Pixelation

you cant delete file, you can drag the to the trash or right-click and move to trash....

apple+delete moves to trash, if you could just press delete, i would have lost so much stuff

But you can run Windows applications, and you do not even need to have a copy of Windows.

Take a look at Codeweavers' Crossover Office or Darwine.

Both are implementations of the Wine Project under OS X giving Windows *.EXE native speed code execution under other x86-based operating systems.

native beige-box / generic PC support...

I can just see the "Mac/PC" ads now...

PC: So after my Vista surgery - I dont run very well on low and mid market machines...

Mac: Well after getting Leopard, OS X runs fast and full featured on every single computer - no matter the price point.

-or-

PC: Hi Mac

Mac: Whoa, PC... uh what happened?

(PC actor replaced with a fat, pasty complexion, greasy, slob - wearing an undersized "mac blue sweater" over a drab polyester suit)

PC: Oh, Vista put on a few gigabytes. And since I dont have a state of the art video card - my appearance is worse than before. Not to mention my old device drivers dont stick, and well - I suck at life... But look! I'm really trying to be like you! (showing off his sweater)

Mac: Oh-kay... (looking both disgusted and confused). You can run Leopard on all your existing hardware and not have to worry about any of those "side effects". (ring ring) sorry - I have to take this...(answers his iphone)

fin.

How bout being able to make all folders appear on top in Finder. I know PathFinder, but frankly thats all I need it for. Also how bout when u press the + button, the window takes up all available space. Thats all I really really want. Aside from faster kernels and such.

There are rumors that it will run windows and that apple will by parallels, so you may be in luck Wenle

right, i read it somewhere on the net also, but the the news was posted in 2005, so i am not sure how true it is.

I thought Darwin is not longer in developement.

i just want to play my Battlefield 2142 and WC3 at native speed. i had the 10.4.8 instaleld before, but Warcraft3 was too slow .

But you can run Windows applications, and you do not even need to have a copy of Windows.

Take a look at Codeweavers' Crossover Office or Darwine.

Both are implementations of the Wine Project under OS X giving Windows *.EXE native speed code execution under other x86-based operating systems.

does this mean, we can run .exe apps within OS X10.5?

does this mean, we can run .exe apps within OS X10.5?

If Apple includes DarWINE, then yes. Otherwise you'll have to install it yourself. I don't think they will, since it's pretty buggy still.

Crossover is better, but it's a commercial product for $$$.