What do you want to see in 10.5 (Leopard)?

Swad

221 posts in this topic

What are the features you'd like to see in Leopard when it's released in about a year or so?

Personally, I'm hoping for a radically different (3D) finder, as well as a consistant UI after booting out the brushed metal. Are there any features that you think Vista might have that OS X should incorporate?

Others?

A task bar, I cant stand how silly the windows are managed on osx. For example, if a program uses several windows at once, and they are overlapped you have to right click over the program´s icon on the dock and and then select the window you want bring to front (and too often you can´t even see which window you are going to focus, as they are named identical).

Also, an adress bar in finder´s windows would be nice. And a faster finder gui (specially resizing windows)

On the other hand, I still wondering how in the hell apple didnt introduce a way to remove the windows from the desktop until 10.4.3....before 10.4.3, you had to minimize each window one by one lol

OsX is nice...but, could be nicer.

A task bar, I cant stand how silly the windows are managed on osx. For example, if a program uses several windows at once, and they are overlapped you have to right click over the program´s icon on the dock and and then select the window you want bring to front (and too often you can´t even see which window you are going to focus, as they are named identical).

Because Mac OS has differnt aproach, Dock is for Apps (or folders if you put them there), not for windows, Avery App has the window menu where you select what to view, if you observe menus are not in each window (as Windows do) but menus stay in the same place and it changes depending wich App is focused.

Also, an adress bar in finder´s windows would be nice. And a faster finder gui (specially resizing windows)

Why do you need adress bar in Finder´s windows? You can hit Command-Click on the name of the Window and the whole path appears, also you can select any point of the path and a new window opens with it's contains.

On the other hand, I still wondering how in the hell apple didnt introduce a way to remove the windows from the desktop until 10.4.3....before 10.4.3, you had to minimize each window one by one lol

You didn't use Exposé at all did you?

if you use Expose and Hot Corners, you can assign a corner for seperating the windows (press f9) and then all you have to do is flick the mouse and all the windows are revealed. This i find to be faster and more effective than the taskbar.

Because Mac OS has differnt aproach, Dock is for Apps (or folders if you put them there), not for windows, Avery App has the window menu where you select what to view, if you observe menus are not in each window (as Windows do) but menus stay in the same place and it changes depending wich App is focused.

Why do you need adress bar in Finder´s windows? You can hit Command-Click on the name of the Window and the whole path appears, also you can select any point of the path and a new window opens with it's contains.

You didn't use Exposé at all did you?

- I´m talking about the extra steps required to select a unique overlapped window from an application.

- About the path...I really dont want to being hitting command-click all the time :D

- And about Exposé, I´m talking about that feature WASNT present til 10.4.3.... what apple´s coders were thinking about meanwhile? lol, before 10.4.3 you have to minimize one by one every window.

Well, and seriously talking about extra features, Ntfs write support would be nice. And also, better opengl perfomance. Even in powerpc osx always lagged behind windows in 3d perfomance. I heard doom3 mac team worked for almost a year trying to optimize the game for osx and after all that effort they didnt got any near to windows perfomance. As far I know I heard opengl layer is "too far from the kernel".

Edited by VooD

ntfs write support exists, in the command line anyway. They are using support that is in BSD (and linux really), so I doubt it goes into the gui unless it stops causing intermittent data corruption. :D

But, I think it needs (some may be planned, just whining here):

1. Improved (or at leat a faster implementation) OpenGL Support
  2. HFS+ improved yet again, making it closer to BeFS (that FS rocked)
  3. Better handling of kernel threads
  4. The finder needs to be sped up, among other problems. On a lot of mac boards, please just say "FTFF"...use some slang to figure out that acronym. :)
  5. Improve on Apple Remote Desktop (could be faster I think, RDP is better on windows)
  6. More 64-bit Support (background/command-line stuff only can be 64-bit now I believe). I'm fairly sure this is a given though.
  7. Keep on speeding the interface up. This seems to happen w/every release, at least if you have a proper video card.
  8. Yet more x86 work (not sure how VT fits into all of this, though).

I'm pretty sure 2 and 4 are planned anyway, to some degree.

Yeah, I agree that window management on a Mac can be a little difficult. I love Expose, and in many ways the windows are better in OS X than they are in XP. However, the dock could be made a lot more functional in the way it handles windows - it should actually tell you how many windows are open and give you one click access to those, just like the taskbar in Windows. The Dock is great, but it could certainly help with open windows.

Some months ago I searched for that kind of third party apps, and I wasnt able to find anything near to a taskbar for Os X.

The only one I found was for os9.

Anyway as suleiman said, having an integrated solution would be better.

I also am hoping that brush metal will finally disappear and the look for all apps will be standardized. It's a little embarrassing, I think, that Apple hasn't been able to standardize on a look for its own programs so far. Otherwise, I'm a huge fan of the dock, of Expose, of the overall Finder style, etc.

Note that you can also customize the finder toolbar and add a "Path" item, which gives you the same fuctionality as command-clicking the title.

I would also really like to see an option to list folders before other items in finder windows. I don't think there's any way to do that right now, including third party apps, besides using color-coding or renaming your folders to start with a space.

I don't get the point with this window-thing mentioned here... there is a beautifull function for handling the windows: Just Press F9 to get all open Apps, Press F10 to get all windows of the current App and finaly press F11 to get all Windows away... No third party products needed here in my opinion...

CDFS

One thing I like about Windows is the ability to minimize all windows by using the shortcut in the Quick Launch Toolbar (down by the start button). While I know that in OS X you can send all of the windows to the side, sometimes I just want to minimize them all.

This would be a great feature.

cdfs-

I think the point is that with the toolbar you can look down and see everything that's open. It saves you click (or mouse movement) of Expose.

- EM64T / AMD64 Compiler

- Better Sound Card Management (Intel HD has a much better interface in windows)

- Hibernate (now is only supported in some PowerBooks)

- Better management for non understandable partitions (currently Mac OS x killed my Solaris 10 Partition tryied it twice)

- Enable to boot from a non Primary partition and also boot from a partition that is not set as "boot"

- Temperature / FAN utility

1. IP Address added to Apple Menu.

2. Applications and user folders added to Apple Menu below system preferences.

3. Applications and user folders added to dock as well.

4. Themes and system sounds finally make it over from OS9.

5. Customizable system pointer.

6. Better HID support with game controller preference pane that changes to match the devices being used. Device makers would only have to write extensions for the preference pane instead of their own software.

7. Similar to above for Keyboard/Mice, Video, and sound preference panes.

8. Full EAX and OpenAL sound support.

9. Ability to read and write NTFS.

Yeah a 3D finder will be great, but i'm sure Steve Jobs & friends thought about something breathtaking. I hope they will take advantage of the solaris OS, that can flip windows around in order to write something in the back or else.

Plug and play with no dumb software to install, a real plug and play for everything. The driver would be downloaded without users noticing, or at least just clicking on a yes button.

A better task management for apps, when i look at my activity monitor app. i see that certain app are not using both processor when rendering, encoding or else.

Games shoudl be able to use both of the processor.

UT2k4 as far as i remember is using both, one processor manages sound and the other the rest.

I hope the intel transition will also improve the compatibility with GPUs

2. Applications and user folders added to Apple Menu below system preferences.

3. Applications and user folders added to dock as well.

4. Themes and system sounds finally make it over from OS9.

5. Customizable system pointer.

6. Better HID support with game controller preference pane that changes to match the devices being used. Device makers would only have to write extensions for the preference pane instead of their own software.

7. Similar to above for Keyboard/Mice, Video, and sound preference panes.

8. Full EAX and OpenAL sound support.

9. Ability to read and write NTFS.

9. Read is available for NTFS partitions, Write uses code from the BSD trees where although it works, it isn't consistant and can cause random data corruption. eek.

That's already added.

You can make different location profiles and you can change with the Apple Menu any time, different addresses, different kind of media/connections/preferences.

1) Multiple Desktops a-la Linux

2) Support for Soundblaster Audigy (why is ALSA or OSS not used?)

3) Windoze apps support - DarWine sort of works - but not well enough!

4) Open/GL or DirectX support (gaming! yay)

Asus P5P800 Mobo

Seagate ST380021A

Western Digital WDC WD800JB

Soundblaster Audigy DE (not working )

Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit LAN Controller (not working)

Onboard AC97 sound (not working)

ATI Radeon 9600