Broadcom bcm43xx wireless driver [beta]

mcsmart

860 posts in this topic

I replaced my intel 3945 with a Broadcom BCM4321KFBG, everything works correctly, but is recognized as a wireless third-party ... Is it possible to have it recognized as airport extreme? I installed 0.5.3 but the script has not changed anything .. thanks

Hi everybody,

I need help because i have nothing in the Airport Utility.

I already have running the bcm43xx_enabler.sh and when i read my "/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/info.plist" i found this line :

<string>pci14e4,4311</string>

to be sure of the id i use the lscpi -nn and i can read :

0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)

because of the "14e4:4311" i believe i have the good id.

but i can't get anything in Airport.

So, please, some one can help me ?

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this will be of any help to anyone, but it's data.

I am running iAtkos 10.5.5 and everything was going great with my Broadcom bcm4312, except that with nothing that I did would the Airport functions actually work. The little signal strength display in the toolbar would just show an empty pie wedge. I could connect to my network and the internet would work fine, but no matter what steps I took (I did all of the 'tricks' listed in the first post on this thread after running the shell script) it would only say that the Airport wasn't configured.

Last week, I upgraded to 10.5.7 and had a few minor difficulties, mostly with shutdown and restarts . . . deleted the AppleHPET.kext, and those went away, but the indicator light showing my wireless to be active was now dark. Everything still functioned as it had, however, so this was of minor consequence.

Last night, I decided on a whim to toy with the Airport functions again, working my way through the first two tricks in the first post (delete the .mkext and .kextcache and networkinterfaces.plist and then clear out my network devices in Network Preferences and start over). Suddenly, the wedge is full, and I have FULL airport functionality.

I'm not certain if this is a side effect of the update or because I deleted the AppleHPET.kext, but I now am geeking out on having a fullly functional (and now fully scriptable) Airport connection.

d

I can't get my Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] to work.

I Installed every Aiport update and then i run the sh.

As the card wasn't recognized i did the stpes mentioned in the first post.

But that also didn't do the job.

The light indicator for wlan is off, and the switch can't turn it on.

before the broadcom i had an intel 3945.

and my laptop has no bios options.

osx86 tools recognize the card, and also the system information utillity, as unreconized network device.

what can i do?`

Asus 138G-V2 PCI (Broadcom 4318).

Detect's like AirPort without any modifications (OUT OF THE BOX),

but work unstable (low speed and periodicaly disconect).

Vanila 10.5.7

Anybody fix this?

post-115068-1244452108_thumb.png

hi please if anyone knows something help. I know it's not a big deal, I have a dell 1390 and it works perfect. but the light on the switch is always red. sometimes when i put to sleep and wake it turns blue as it should be . but it's always red when i start laptop and use it. anyone knows anything on how to correct this?

my laptop is Hp pavillion dv2700 series. thanks.

I installed a Dynex DX-BGDTC (BCM4318) into an Intel D945GCLF2 motherboard with 10.5.7. After applying the Broadcom patch and rebooting, the card was not detected. Airport detected nothing. Searching these lists produced no clues.....poking, proding, rebooting, nothing...frustration builds (third attempted wireless card) and then...

Noting the hints that another ethernet port could cause problems, I disabled the on-board ethernet card in the bios. Still no luck detecting the card. Then, I deleted the ethernet connection in the System Preferences/Network (I had been connecting to the internet using an ethernet cable strung across the house). And after a reboot there it was - Apple airport! Yay!

I had a bit of hang up getting onto my WPA network - I'm not sure what happened but I just entered the network password a few times to get connected. Then, the connection still wasn't working (connected, but not working) until I disabled IPv6 in the network Advanced menu under TCP/IP. There was a note on this forum that this card uses channel 11 to connect, whereas a router might use channel 6 by default. I did not have to mess with the channels - I'm suspecting that most routers can autonegotiate the channel. But this might have been why it took a little while to get the wireless connection.

I am connected, but the connection/power LEDs on the card are not lit. No worries.

Now I can coil up the network cable across the house and put it away!

Update: 2009-04-29 4:39PM

Since it seems to be sort of difficult for new users to edit kext-files, I've written a small script which automatically adds the PCI IDs of all Broadcom wireless cards, which are AirPort compatible.

And this is where I need your feedback: Please post your Broadcom device IDs in this topic, if you have simply added them to the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext. Then I can add them to my script so new users can simply download the script and get their Broadcom wireless card to work.

So please post the PCI ID and maybe a little description (at least if the card is 802.11a, b or g).

Note: Only post the PCI ID if you simply have to add the ID to AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext in order to get it working!

Supported Chipsets:

• All Apple AirPort One Cards (4311,4312,4313,4319,431a,432a)
  • 4306, Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4309, Broadcom BCM4309 802.11 b Wireless LAN
  • 4315, Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN
  • 4318, Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4320, Broadcom BCM4320 b/g (confirmed)
  • 4324, Broadcom BCM4324 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 4325, Broadcom BCM4325 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 2b continued

Cards that are known to work:

• Belkin F5D7000
  • Buffalo WL12-PCI-G545
  • Linksys PCMCIA Card WPC54G
  • Dynex DX-BNBC
  • Probably tons of other cards, as long as they have a supported chipset...

Usage: unzip, open a Terminal window and type 'sudo ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh'. Reboot

It is recommended to install all AirPort-Updates from SoftwareUpdate before running this script.

Use this script at your own risk!!

Changelog:

• Version 0.5.3
    - added many new device ids
  • Version 0.5.2
    - fixed wrong permissions for /System/Library/Extensions
  • Version 0.5.1
    - added 4307, 4308, 4310, 4322, 4323 - just for testing
    - repair permissions of /System/Library/Extensions - just to make sure
  • Version 0.5
    - 4325 confirmed
    - updated to zip file again
  • Version 0.5pre2 (Beta release!)
    - added more chipsets (4314, 4315), I don't know if they even work...
    - gziped, because I don't have zip installed atm
  • Version 0.5pre (Beta release!)
    - initial Leopard support
    - added more chipsets (4321, 4e,432a,432b,432c,432d, ...)
  • Version 0.4
    - Only delete Extensions.kextcache/Extensions.mkext and not Extensions.*
  • Version 0.3
    - Delete the kextcache automatically
    - Fixed a typo that wouldn't allow the majority of users to delete the Airport2.kext

FAQ:

• "sudo: ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh: command can not be found"
    • N00b Attack: You need to be in the directory you have extracted the file to

[*]"My card shows up as an AirPort but it says disabled or not configured"

• This could have many reasons. Try one of the following things:

• Delete the current network setup (in network preferences) and create a new one. Reboot.
      • If you had no luck, try this.
      • If that does not help, open Terminal and type: sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist. Reboot

• If that does not help, try to move either the kext of your Wireless NIC or the kext of your wired NIC to a location where it does not get loaded on reboot. Then type (in Terminal):
        • sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
        • Reboot

[*]If that does not help either, try this. It says it is supposed to work for a LinkSys WMP54G, but I guess it should work with other AirPort cards too.

[*]Some Laptops have an option "Enable Wireless Hot Keys" in the system BIOS. If you have such an option you can try to disable (or enable) it.

[*]If you are using a PCI card, try putting the card into a different slot.

[*]If none of these things did the trick, your card might have a crappy software power-on/off switch. Get a new one :)

[*]I don't have AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

• It should be on your install DVD. If not, you have to use Google a little bit. I will not send you this kext via E-Mail or PN.

i am a bit of a newbie, just installed the dell 1397 broadcom chip into my wind u120, and of course, nothing happens. it is not recognized. i downloaded your script, but how do you get a script into its place? cant say i have ever run one. my wind is running 10.5.7 perfectly with the exception of the wireless and the mic input. everything else is running. i have a kext installer, is there a kext instead of a script?

Asus 138G-V2 PCI (Broadcom 4318).

Detect's like AirPort without any modifications (OUT OF THE BOX),

but work unstable (low speed and periodicaly disconect).

Vanila 10.5.7

Anybody fix this?

post-115068-1244452108_thumb.png

I have this problem with the WMP54GS and think about to buy an Asus 138-G V2. But now I am not sure about it.

I have this problem with the WMP54GS and think about to buy an Asus 138-G V2. But now I am not sure about it.

The problem is solved! Look the post number 409 : )

Hi, after a couple of years with an intel bg2200, i've decided to buy an bcm94309.

with 10.5.6 ideneb works like an airpor, but very very unstable. Always appear to be connected but not receive packets for every five minutes.

I've got installed the script and all the airpot updates, and deactived the ipv6.

Any help?

• 2 weeks later...
Well i got the airport in menu bar but when i open internet connect theres no aiport icon to configure, my id is 8320- 802.11 wireless LAN, any ideas??

try installing this kext. i was messing about for ages trying to get my airport exteme card (broadcom 4328) to work. the computer didn't recognise it at all... then voilà :angel:

IOPCMCIAFamily.kext.zip

Update: 2009-04-29 4:39PM

Since it seems to be sort of difficult for new users to edit kext-files, I've written a small script which automatically adds the PCI IDs of all Broadcom wireless cards, which are AirPort compatible.

And this is where I need your feedback: Please post your Broadcom device IDs in this topic, if you have simply added them to the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext. Then I can add them to my script so new users can simply download the script and get their Broadcom wireless card to work.

So please post the PCI ID and maybe a little description (at least if the card is 802.11a, b or g).

Note: Only post the PCI ID if you simply have to add the ID to AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext in order to get it working!

Supported Chipsets:

• All Apple AirPort One Cards (4311,4312,4313,4319,431a,432a)
  • 4306, Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4309, Broadcom BCM4309 802.11 b Wireless LAN
  • 4315, Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN
  • 4318, Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4320, Broadcom BCM4320 b/g (confirmed)
  • 4324, Broadcom BCM4324 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 4325, Broadcom BCM4325 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 2b continued

Cards that are known to work:

• Belkin F5D7000
  • Buffalo WL12-PCI-G545
  • Linksys PCMCIA Card WPC54G
  • Dynex DX-BNBC
  • Probably tons of other cards, as long as they have a supported chipset...

Usage: unzip, open a Terminal window and type 'sudo ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh'. Reboot

It is recommended to install all AirPort-Updates from SoftwareUpdate before running this script.

Use this script at your own risk!!

Changelog:

• Version 0.5.3
    - added many new device ids
  • Version 0.5.2
    - fixed wrong permissions for /System/Library/Extensions
  • Version 0.5.1
    - added 4307, 4308, 4310, 4322, 4323 - just for testing
    - repair permissions of /System/Library/Extensions - just to make sure
  • Version 0.5
    - 4325 confirmed
    - updated to zip file again
  • Version 0.5pre2 (Beta release!)
    - added more chipsets (4314, 4315), I don't know if they even work...
    - gziped, because I don't have zip installed atm
  • Version 0.5pre (Beta release!)
    - initial Leopard support
    - added more chipsets (4321, 4e,432a,432b,432c,432d, ...)
  • Version 0.4
    - Only delete Extensions.kextcache/Extensions.mkext and not Extensions.*
  • Version 0.3
    - Delete the kextcache automatically
    - Fixed a typo that wouldn't allow the majority of users to delete the Airport2.kext

FAQ:

• "sudo: ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh: command can not be found"
    • N00b Attack: You need to be in the directory you have extracted the file to

[*]"My card shows up as an AirPort but it says disabled or not configured"

• This could have many reasons. Try one of the following things:

• Delete the current network setup (in network preferences) and create a new one. Reboot.
      • If you had no luck, try this.
      • If that does not help, open Terminal and type: sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist. Reboot

• If that does not help, try to move either the kext of your Wireless NIC or the kext of your wired NIC to a location where it does not get loaded on reboot. Then type (in Terminal):
        • sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
        • Reboot

[*]If that does not help either, try this. It says it is supposed to work for a LinkSys WMP54G, but I guess it should work with other AirPort cards too.

[*]Some Laptops have an option "Enable Wireless Hot Keys" in the system BIOS. If you have such an option you can try to disable (or enable) it.

[*]If you are using a PCI card, try putting the card into a different slot.

[*]If none of these things did the trick, your card might have a crappy software power-on/off switch. Get a new one :thumbsup_anim:

[*]I don't have AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

• It should be on your install DVD. If not, you have to use Google a little bit. I will not send you this kext via E-Mail or PN.

i need some help, when i extracted this file to my desktop, i typed in sudo ./users/desktop/bcm43xx_enabler.sh

and then it asks me for my password, after that i restarted my computer and i still have no airport, it says airport off and no airport installed, help me! i really need the wifi!

I was sure this fixed my problem but unfortunately after 7 minutes or so my wireless died again. I'm not sure why it's halting but it refuses to pick up any networks after it disconnects so I can't even reconnect unless I reboot. I'm using the Broadcom 4318 (BCM4318). I'm not entirely sure what else to try. I updated the airport utility, patched the kext using the shell script in the first post, tried installing drivers from OSX86Tools and all to no avail.

All I know is I get "no beacon for too long time" followed by "Link Down on en0".

Please send help, been working on this for several weeks. The following are from PCI Cards in System Preferences.

The 2nd listing is for my Broadcom 14e4:4324 it is listed here but not under airport card. I just cannot get it seems a driver to load for the wireless part I have wired ethernet and everything on my Dell 5100 with 10.5.6 works but no wireless. I have tried several things listed on the site, please I'm losing it.

Thank you,

Bill

display:

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Driver Installed: Yes

Bus: PCI

Slot: PCI Slot@1,0,0

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Device ID: 0x4c57

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1028

Subsystem ID: 0x0149

Revision ID: 0x0000

network:

Type: Other Network Controller

Driver Installed: No

Slot: PCI Slot@2,2,0

Vendor ID: 0x14e4

Device ID: 0x4324

Subsystem ID: 0x0001

Revision ID: 0x0002

network:

Type: Ethernet Controller

Slot: PCI Slot@2,1,0

Vendor ID: 0x14e4

Device ID: 0x4401

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x4401

Subsystem ID: 0x1028

Revision ID: 0x0001

pccard-bridge:

Type: CardBus Bridge

Slot: PCI Slot@2,4,0

Vendor ID: 0x104c

Device ID: 0xac44

Revision ID: 0x0002

pci-bridge:

Type: PCI-to-PCI Bridge

Slot: PCI Slot

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x2561

Revision ID: 0x0003

pci-bridge:

Type: PCI-to-PCI Bridge

Slot: PCI Slot

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x244e

Revision ID: 0x0082

serial-bus:

Type: IEEE 1394 Open HCI

Slot: PCI Slot@2,4,1

Vendor ID: 0x104c

Device ID: 0x8029

Subsystem ID: 0x0149

Revision ID: 0x0000

I have this card

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4328&SUBSYS_1367103C&REV_03

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4328&SUBSYS_1367103C

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4328&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4328&CC_0280

HP tx2000, windows description of the device is the 4321ag draft n, but the device id report 4328.. wich is it?

What is the device id to add in the kext file?

What driver is the best to use?

wlan card: dell 1390 i think its brdcm 4311

i can see the mac address, i can see it turned on but cannot see network. any had the same situation?

maybe this?

_http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=75242