Broadcom bcm43xx wireless driver [beta]

mcsmart

860 posts in this topic

10.5.5 update successful, no progress on wireless in the dell studio 17 ( 1735 ) working though.

Is there some way to force this card into networkinterfaces.plist - does it use standard information there? Do you have said standard information I can copy and paste to make OSX see it?

Why does PCI Tools inside OSX see the card, but OSX itself not?

This is my last call for help, I've spent a week getting frustrated and wearing out my DVD rom drive on this., hopefully someone comes to the rescue or I'm caving and going back to XP. Thank you for the interesting trip anyhow, I learned a lot about osx I didn't know before this (and I own a mac pro that I do FCP editing and gfx work on profressionally)

Thanks,

Fujilives

I am suffering from the same problem, please, can somebody shed some light on it? Really Mac is useless without internet.

Running the iDeneb .5.5 I used the enabler and still no joy for wifi dell 1510-N wireless card AKA Broadcom 4322 or as PCI puts it 432b. Can we please make somthing happen McSmart I hope you can help or LastExile? I am very frustrated I have had other machines run great with osx86 many differnet versions as well I am stuck and have no internet....... PLEASE HELP

Ok, I've tried the "pre" version (I have the 4322) and I get a kernel panic.

Details:

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.driver.AirPortBrcm43xx(224.79)@0x4b1d6000->0x4b273fff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family(162.1)@0x4b1b7000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.4.1)@0x3d6fe000

Mac OS version:

9C7010

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0

System model name: Hp Pavilion tx2500 Notebook PC (30F1)

Note: Some info ommited. If you need, I can post...

Thanks!

After trying several things I decided I would do a fresh install I then linked up my blackberry via usb and shared the data connection. I ran the software update from Apple and now my 4322 is working its a miracle. It shows as a 3rd party airport card.... but I did not load anything at all other than the bare minimum on my reinstall of iDeneb .5.5 disk. I am so happy I can not hardly stand it........ Everything is looking up.

Its funny that apple fixed this on there own......

Thank you though for all your efforts.

Okay here you go I did a fresh install and then I installed the following package from apple it self deletes after install however my 432b aka Dell 1510-N is now working. Please post you success you can get the file here

Thanks for the hint. I am able to confirm that the 2008-04 Airport Extreme patch from Apple does enable support for the Dell 1510/BCM4322. I did not have to do a fresh install. I just used Software Update to download and apply the patch. Powered off the machine and inserted the 1510 and powered on. OS X recognized the card right away.

Okay here you go I did a fresh install and then I installed the following package from apple it self deletes after install however my 432b aka Dell 1510-N is now working. Please post you success you can get the file here

Any word on if this gets things going on a dell studio 17?

I couldn't test it a couple weeks ago when I was working on things, but the date on the apple website says "October 29, 2008" - So if this new release fixes things, I'm wiping windows, reinstalling ideneb, and delving back into the osx86 world where I'll try to get my video and sound to work :(

*PS - THE QUICK EDIT FUNCTION ON THESE FORUMS IS FRICKIN SWEET.*

I think the only difference is the size of your screen however if you can tell me a little about your system. it would be a big help.

is there any1 that can guide me threw this cause when i install the patch my computer is still saying i have no airport card

Tell me about your system...... I know that it has worked for many other dell studio users but, you are a little vague do you know the exact model and does the icon show up on the top tool bar after reboot?

Thanks for the hint. I am able to confirm that the 2008-04 Airport Extreme patch from Apple does enable support for the Dell 1510/BCM4322. I did not have to do a fresh install. I just used Software Update to download and apply the patch. Powered off the machine and inserted the 1510 and powered on. OS X recognized the card right away.

That is great I only did a fresh install so I could grab the folder out of the update so I could post it here.

You do not have to do a fresh install I should have mentioned that.

I posted this here in the event others were having trouble getting the updates in other ways.

I think the only difference is the size of your screen however if you can tell me a little about your system. it would be a big help.

Tell me about your system...... I know that it has worked for many other dell studio users but, you are a little vague do you know the exact model and does the icon show up on the top tool bar after reboot?

That is great I only did a fresh install so I could grab the folder out of the update so I could post it here.

You do not have to do a fresh install I should have mentioned that.

I posted this here in the event others were having trouble getting the updates in other ways.

thanks for the help I have a Hp dv5218nr and I tried to apply the patch to my system but no luck it still saying there is no aiport card

Hey!  I wiped my xp install again (>< just got it the way I like it).

But I wanted to say AWESOME FIND!  After trying, basically EVERY EFFING SOLUTION, the one that fixes it on the dell studio 17 is the new (oct 28) airport patch.  I wish that had existed when I was trying to get it to work originally!

I downloaded the copy straight from apple, using an ideneb 10.5 install, and wireless was reccognized and worked immediately after rebooting - during apple-logo you see the wi-fi icon light up on your laptop and tears of joy come streaming down your face!

Now if that last exile fellow could manage to help us out with the ATI 3650 video-card, I think we'd be in the money!  As for audio, it looks like there is a new (as of like 5 days ago) solution to IDT audio on these forums, I'll try that out after I reinstall Ideneb again (I kind of busted it trying to get video working) and report back to you - once we get this {censored} going fully I'll hap-hap-happily set up a tutorial for osx86ing the dell studio systems!

Oh, and HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Hi all.

Can somebody tell me where I can get latest version driver's for bcm94311mcg?

For example, on WinXP the indicator blinking when data transferred by WLAN card,

and the LED is don't lights when adapter is turned off!

WLAN card is work, but LED is don't shone when it work and when card is turned off the LED is shone...

Update: 2008-07-27 3:24PM

Since it seems to be sort of difficult for new users to edit kext-files, I've written a small script which automatically adds the PCI IDs of all Broadcom wireless cards, which are AirPort compatible.

And this is where I need your feedback: Please post your Broadcom device IDs in this topic, if you have simply added them to the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext. Then I can add them to my script so new users can simply download the script and get their Broadcom wireless card to work.

So please post the PCI ID and maybe a little description (at least if the card is 802.11a, b or g).

Note: Only post the PCI ID if you simply have to add the ID to AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext in order to get it working!

Supported Chipsets:

• All Apple AirPort One Cards (4311,4312,4313,4319,431a,432a)
  • 4306, Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4309, Broadcom BCM4309 802.11 b Wireless LAN
  • 4318, Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4320, Broadcom BCM4320 b/g (confirmed)
  • 4324, Broadcom BCM4324 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 4325, Broadcom BCM4325 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 2b continued

Cards that are known to work:

• Belkin F5D7000
  • Buffalo WL12-PCI-G545
  • Linksys PCMCIA Card WPC54G
  • Dynex DX-BNBC
  • Probably tons of other cards, as long as they have a supported chipset...

Usage: unzip, open a Terminal window and type 'sudo ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh'. Reboot

It is recommended to install all AirPort-Updates from SoftwareUpdate before running this script.

Use this script at your own risk!!

Changelog:

• Version 0.5.1pre
    - added 4307, 4308, 4310, 4322, 4323 - just for testing
  • Version 0.5
    - 4325 confirmed
    - updated to zip file again
  • Version 0.5pre2 (Beta release!)
    - added more chipsets (4314, 4315), I don't know if they even work...
    - gziped, because I don't have zip installed atm
  • Version 0.5pre (Beta release!)
    - initial Leopard support
    - added more chipsets (4321, 4e,432a,432b,432c,432d, ...)
  • Version 0.4
    - Only delete Extensions.kextcache/Extensions.mkext and not Extensions.*
  • Version 0.3
    - Delete the kextcache automatically
    - Fixed a typo that wouldn't allow the majority of users to delete the Airport2.kext

FAQ:

• "sudo: ./bcm43xxenabler.sh: command can not be found"
    • N00b Attack: You need to be in the directory you have extracted the file to

[*]"My card shows up as an AirPort but it says disabled or not configured"

• This could have many reasons. Try one of the following things:

• Delete the current network setup (in network preferences) and create a new one. Reboot.
      • If you had no luck, try this.
      • If that does not help, open Terminal and type: sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist. Reboot

• If that does not help, try to move either the kext of your Wireless NIC or the kext of your wired NIC to a location where it does not get loaded on reboot. Then type (in Terminal):
        • sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
        • Reboot

[*]If that does not help either, try this. It says it is supposed to work for a LinkSys WMP54G, but I guess it should work with other AirPort cards too.

[*]If none of these things did the trick, your card might have a crappy software power-on/off switch. Get a new one ;)

[*]I don't have AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

• It should be on your install DVD. If not, you have to use Google a little bit. I will not send you this kext via E-Mail or PN.

Can you send me the kext, I cant seem to open the IO80211Family.kext to see other folders.

im kind of a n00b, sorry

any help would be appreciated

I opened terminal and typed "sudo ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh" but got a No such file or directory

EDIT:

found solution by mcsmart on page 3. Thanks! You rock!

Rebooted but airport is not working. I must have did something wrong. (I'm using a 1000h) help?

I found an older appleairportbrcm4311.kext, used kexthelper, did the terminal stuff, rebooted but still no go... :unsure: