Broadcom bcm43xx wireless driver [beta]

mcsmart

860 posts in this topic

SOLUTION

WMP54G V2 (DEVID: 4320) under Snow Leopard on a Gigabyte EP45-DS3 running 10.6.1.

1) Follow instructions in the first post for the shell script.

2) Go to /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/ (forgive if it's wrong, I'm doing this from memory)

3) Grab the BRCM4311 kext from there and copy it to the Desktop

4) Get Kext Utility if you haven't got it already

5) Drop the kext you copied onto your desktop onto Kext Utility

6) Wait for it to do its magic

7) Go to /System/Library/Caches and delete the kext cache (you'll need to enter your password)

8) Go to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete NetworkInterfaces.plist and the com.apple.network.interfaces.plist (again you'll need to retype password)

9) Reboot with -f -v

10) Check System Profiler/Software/Extensions to see if the BRCM kext is loaded (should be loaded twice)

11) If it isn't you've done something wrong, otherwise go to /System/Library/Extensions and delete the BRCM kext from there ONLY. Go to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete NetworkInterfaces.plist and the com.apple.network.interfaces.plist (again you'll need to retype password)

12) Switch computer off

13) Move your card into the other PCI slot

14) Boot up with -f -v, you should see that wl1 shows up along the line

15) You'll see AirPort show up on the menu bar

16) Go to System Preferences/Network and set it up there

17) Voilá, you have AirPort!

Hope this helps someone, gave me a bit of a headache.

P.S.: Before someone asks me why I'm copying the 4311 kext (point 10 and earlier) and essentially duplicating it. I did this because the kext wouldn't load AT ALL until it was duplicated (weird).

Follow the instructions exactly and you'll be fine. Its really easy to fix this card and make it work.

I tried it on my 4306 WiFi Card and it connects ok... Infact its always connected ok.

The signal says it 100% but drops after about 2 seconds? anyone having this problem? and I get an exclamation make over the wif i icon in Snow Leopard

My Card is a Belkin card with the 4306 chip on it. PCI Card.

this card was rick solid with 10.5.8 and if i remember rightly was ok with 10.6.0 now im at 10.6.1 its not playing ball so well!

any ideas?

Hi,

I've just run this and my whole mac install has crashed. I get the black screen which asks you to press and hold the power button when we reboot the PC.

Any suggestions? Also, I have the backup, can I just restore it through the install dvd and go back to where I used to be?

Thanks,

Teja.

edit: My card is broadcom 4315. Thanks again.

SOLUTION

WMP54G V2 (DEVID: 4320) under Snow Leopard on a Gigabyte EP45-DS3 running 10.6.1.

1) Follow instructions in the first post for the shell script.

2) Go to /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/ (forgive if it's wrong, I'm doing this from memory)

3) Grab the BRCM4311 kext from there and copy it to the Desktop

4) Get Kext Utility if you haven't got it already

5) Drop the kext you copied onto your desktop onto Kext Utility

6) Wait for it to do its magic

7) Go to /System/Library/Caches and delete the kext cache (you'll need to enter your password)

8) Go to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete NetworkInterfaces.plist and the com.apple.network.interfaces.plist (again you'll need to retype password)

9) Reboot with -f -v

10) Check System Profiler/Software/Extensions to see if the BRCM kext is loaded (should be loaded twice)

11) If it isn't you've done something wrong, otherwise go to /System/Library/Extensions and delete the BRCM kext from there ONLY. Go to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete NetworkInterfaces.plist and the com.apple.network.interfaces.plist (again you'll need to retype password)

12) Switch computer off

13) Move your card into the other PCI slot

14) Boot up with -f -v, you should see that wl1 shows up along the line

15) You'll see AirPort show up on the menu bar

16) Go to System Preferences/Network and set it up there

17) Voilá, you have AirPort!

Hope this helps someone, gave me a bit of a headache.

P.S.: Before someone asks me why I'm copying the 4311 kext (point 10 and earlier) and essentially duplicating it. I did this because the kext wouldn't load AT ALL until it was duplicated (weird).

Follow the instructions exactly and you'll be fine. Its really easy to fix this card and make it work.

I have the same board GIGABYTE-EP45 DS3. Using your method I got Airport working - but I lost my Firewire800.

It seems, it was not your method, but the switching of the PCI slots.

On this board the very last slot (most far away from the CPU) seems to work fine and cures not working cards, while tne next slot seems not to work at all - tested now with two different Firewire 800 cards and this Belkin Airport card with a Broadcom 4318 chip.

That is right for Leo as well as SnowLeo. On a third HD I have Windows 7 installed and here this slot is operational under all circumstances.Wireless worked from the start.

Perhaps my DSDT patching is not perfect. If someone knows a way to get this dead slot working under MacOSX please tell me.

I just wanted to make clear that while the duplicating of the Broedcom kext is of help the decisive measure in my case was switching slots

• 2 weeks later...
Update: 2009-04-29 4:39PM

Since it seems to be sort of difficult for new users to edit kext-files, I've written a small script which automatically adds the PCI IDs of all Broadcom wireless cards, which are AirPort compatible.

And this is where I need your feedback: Please post your Broadcom device IDs in this topic, if you have simply added them to the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext. Then I can add them to my script so new users can simply download the script and get their Broadcom wireless card to work.

So please post the PCI ID and maybe a little description (at least if the card is 802.11a, b or g).

Note: Only post the PCI ID if you simply have to add the ID to AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext in order to get it working!

Supported Chipsets:

• All Apple AirPort One Cards (4311,4312,4313,4319,431a,432a)
  • 4306, Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4309, Broadcom BCM4309 802.11 b Wireless LAN
  • 4315, Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN
  • 4318, Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4320, Broadcom BCM4320 b/g (confirmed)
  • 4324, Broadcom BCM4324 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 4325, Broadcom BCM4325 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 2b continued

Cards that are known to work:

• Belkin F5D7000
  • Buffalo WL12-PCI-G545
  • Linksys PCMCIA Card WPC54G
  • Dynex DX-BNBC
  • Dynex DX-BGDTC
  • Probably tons of other cards, as long as they have a supported chipset...

Usage: unzip, open a Terminal window and type 'sudo ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh'. Reboot

It is recommended to install all AirPort-Updates from SoftwareUpdate before running this script.

Use this script at your own risk!!

Changelog:

• Version 0.5.3
    - added many new device ids
  • Version 0.5.2
    - fixed wrong permissions for /System/Library/Extensions
  • Version 0.5.1
    - added 4307, 4308, 4310, 4322, 4323 - just for testing
    - repair permissions of /System/Library/Extensions - just to make sure
  • Version 0.5
    - 4325 confirmed
    - updated to zip file again
  • Version 0.5pre2 (Beta release!)
    - added more chipsets (4314, 4315), I don't know if they even work...
    - gziped, because I don't have zip installed atm
  • Version 0.5pre (Beta release!)
    - initial Leopard support
    - added more chipsets (4321, 4e,432a,432b,432c,432d, ...)
  • Version 0.4
    - Only delete Extensions.kextcache/Extensions.mkext and not Extensions.*
  • Version 0.3
    - Delete the kextcache automatically
    - Fixed a typo that wouldn't allow the majority of users to delete the Airport2.kext

FAQ:

• "sudo: ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh: command can not be found"
    • N00b Attack: You need to be in the directory you have extracted the file to

[*]"My card shows up as an AirPort but it says disabled or not configured"

• This could have many reasons. Try one of the following things:

• Delete the current network setup (in network preferences) and create a new one. Reboot.
      • If you had no luck, try this.
      • If that does not help, open Terminal and type: sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist. Reboot

• If that does not help, try to move either the kext of your Wireless NIC or the kext of your wired NIC to a location where it does not get loaded on reboot. Then type (in Terminal):
        • sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
        • Reboot

[*]If that does not help either, try this. It says it is supposed to work for a LinkSys WMP54G, but I guess it should work with other AirPort cards too.

[*]Some Laptops have an option "Enable Wireless Hot Keys" in the system BIOS. If you have such an option you can try to disable (or enable) it.

[*]If you are using a PCI card, try putting the card into a different slot.

[*]If none of these things did the trick, your card might have a crappy software power-on/off switch. Get a new one :(

[*]I don't have AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

• It should be on your install DVD. If not, you have to use Google a little bit. I will not send you this kext via E-Mail or PN.

It Doesn't Work On My Dell Latitude D600, It Has A Broadcom 4306

All Help Appreciated

Please Reply With A Solution

• 2 weeks later...
Absolutely no luck with the script in SNOW with a Broadcom 4310 on a Hp mini 110 netbook

The same card is working flawlessy in Leo 10.5.7

lspci -nnv gives exactly the same result in Leo and in Snow, but in Snow no way to make the damn thing work..

here's what lspci -nnv says

Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 USB Controller [14e4:4315] (rev 01)

Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device [103c:1508]

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16

Memory at feafc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)

Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3

Capabilities: [58] Vendor Specific Information <?>

Capabilities: [e8] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-

Capabilities: [d0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00

Capabilities: [100] #14e4

HELPPPPP!

Do you tried kext from 10.5.7?

I have the same problem with HP Compaq mini 110 (1030SV) :(

mine lspci -v

Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)

Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 1508

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16

Memory at feafc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)

Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3

Capabilities: [e8] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-

this Broadcom down here

03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4328] (rev 03)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [103c:1367]
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
Memory at d0200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable)
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [e8] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable+

is working ootb with iDeneb 10.5.8 but is always off and therefore not working in Snow Leopard

I have a Dell Vostro 1310 with iAtkos v7. This laptop has a wireless card Dell 1395, i.e. a Broadcom 4315, that it is working fine if I try to use wifi channels between 1 and 11. However, I have a router configured in channel 13th (I live in Spain, Europe) in order to avoid interferences from my neighbours, and my laptop doesn't detect this channel.

I read in some forum that this is a problem with the "Wireless Card Locale" that must be set to USA or unknown. However, I don't know how to fix this problem.

Maybe your script can fix it?

Hi,

a question for those of you with the 4320 Chipset in a PCI slot who have managed to get wireless working. Which version of the card do you have. I have version 1010 and as mentioned previously the reaction of the operating system (Leopard in my case) varies depending on which PCI slot on the Gigabyte motherboard I put the card on.

In the two slots nearest the CPU the low level routines like lspci are aware of the card but the System Profiler cannot see it. If the card is in the slot furthest from the CPU the kernel panics in com.apple.driver.airportbrcm43XX during boot up.

I am trying to narrow down if it is the version of the card is causing the panic, while others with the same card are successful. Thanks for your help

M.

btw guys.. i dunno if this could be relevant but i just installed dell wireless 1490 bcm 4312 on 10.5.6 and sees it but could not turn on.

laptop is toshiba P205-7804 changed from atheros pci-x (express) tried this script as i have done before in others and no go.

so i realized it was pin 20 issue (i did both 19 and 20 with tape) works!! Leopard toshiba

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=120144

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=109613

good luck

Hi everyone,

I recently installed a SL distro (Hazard's) and got everything working except my pci wireless card, which is the asus wl-138g v2 (broadcom 4318 chipset). I even tried this script (http://www.kexts.com/view/76-to_get_nearly_every_bcm_43xx_working.html) and the one on the first post but it won't work..

I would really appreciate if anyone can give me some advice on how to fix this,

Thanks

try this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44114

4315 should be the id you need

I'm using a 4315 card in my laptop (sig below) and I've done that yet I still don't have a functional 'airport' in SL. I'm about to give up on it and roll it back to just Leo since I did have it working under that.

It shows an 'Airport' interface but like many other posts I've seen, it just shows up but doesn't work at all. I can't turn it on or browse wireless networks.

What version of Leopard did you use to get the 4315 working? I am using iDeneb 1.6 (10.5.8) and cannot seem to get the card working, though others have had success.

I am going the crazy route next and trying to rebrand the 4315 as a 4312 to get the card to work in SL.

I'm using a 4315 card in my laptop (sig below) and I've done that yet I still don't have a functional 'airport' in SL. I'm about to give up on it and roll it back to just Leo since I did have it working under that.

It shows an 'Airport' interface but like many other posts I've seen, it just shows up but doesn't work at all. I can't turn it on or browse wireless networks.

try this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1364000

What version of Leopard did you use to get the 4315 working? I am using iDeneb 1.6 (10.5.8) and cannot seem to get the card working, though others have had success.

I am going the crazy route next and trying to rebrand the 4315 as a 4312 to get the card to work in SL.

try the above.. and if it still doesnt work.. make sure you did step 15 on this guide correctly:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44114

I did complete step 15, and have repeatedly tried all of the steps in that guide, and this guide, to no avail. Also tried rebranding my broadcom card last night and bricked it :') . Oh well. Will try a 4311 card from a Lenovo Y500 next; hopefully it is whitelisted.

I have the new compaq mini c 100c 1100DZ and I downloaded the lspci to determine which broadcom 43XX chipset is in this unit. It is the 4310. I tried all your scripts including the latest -3 which includes 4310 support (although not listed when script is run. I assumed that all scripts are inclusive (you added more chipsets and did not eliminate any.)

The wireless still does not show up in the system preferences on 10.6

Thanks

Ray :)

Update: 2009-04-29 4:39PM

Since it seems to be sort of difficult for new users to edit kext-files, I've written a small script which automatically adds the PCI IDs of all Broadcom wireless cards, which are AirPort compatible.

And this is where I need your feedback: Please post your Broadcom device IDs in this topic, if you have simply added them to the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext. Then I can add them to my script so new users can simply download the script and get their Broadcom wireless card to work.

So please post the PCI ID and maybe a little description (at least if the card is 802.11a, b or g).

Note: Only post the PCI ID if you simply have to add the ID to AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext in order to get it working!

Supported Chipsets:

• All Apple AirPort One Cards (4311,4312,4313,4319,431a,432a)
  • 4306, Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4309, Broadcom BCM4309 802.11 b Wireless LAN
  • 4315, Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN
  • 4318, Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4320, Broadcom BCM4320 b/g (confirmed)
  • 4324, Broadcom BCM4324 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 4325, Broadcom BCM4325 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 2b continued

Cards that are known to work:

• Belkin F5D7000
  • Buffalo WL12-PCI-G545
  • Linksys PCMCIA Card WPC54G
  • Dynex DX-BNBC
  • Dynex DX-BGDTC
  • Probably tons of other cards, as long as they have a supported chipset...

Usage: unzip, open a Terminal window and type 'sudo ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh'. Reboot

It is recommended to install all AirPort-Updates from SoftwareUpdate before running this script.

Use this script at your own risk!!

Changelog:

• Version 0.5.3
    - added many new device ids
  • Version 0.5.2
    - fixed wrong permissions for /System/Library/Extensions
  • Version 0.5.1
    - added 4307, 4308, 4310, 4322, 4323 - just for testing
    - repair permissions of /System/Library/Extensions - just to make sure
  • Version 0.5
    - 4325 confirmed
    - updated to zip file again
  • Version 0.5pre2 (Beta release!)
    - added more chipsets (4314, 4315), I don't know if they even work...
    - gziped, because I don't have zip installed atm
  • Version 0.5pre (Beta release!)
    - initial Leopard support
    - added more chipsets (4321, 4e,432a,432b,432c,432d, ...)
  • Version 0.4
    - Only delete Extensions.kextcache/Extensions.mkext and not Extensions.*
  • Version 0.3
    - Delete the kextcache automatically
    - Fixed a typo that wouldn't allow the majority of users to delete the Airport2.kext

FAQ:

• "sudo: ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh: command can not be found"
    • N00b Attack: You need to be in the directory you have extracted the file to

[*]"My card shows up as an AirPort but it says disabled or not configured"

• This could have many reasons. Try one of the following things:

• Delete the current network setup (in network preferences) and create a new one. Reboot.
      • If you had no luck, try this.
      • If that does not help, open Terminal and type: sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist. Reboot

• If that does not help, try to move either the kext of your Wireless NIC or the kext of your wired NIC to a location where it does not get loaded on reboot. Then type (in Terminal):
        • sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
        • Reboot

[*]If that does not help either, try this. It says it is supposed to work for a LinkSys WMP54G, but I guess it should work with other AirPort cards too.

[*]Some Laptops have an option "Enable Wireless Hot Keys" in the system BIOS. If you have such an option you can try to disable (or enable) it.

[*]If you are using a PCI card, try putting the card into a different slot.

[*]If none of these things did the trick, your card might have a crappy software power-on/off switch. Get a new one :P

[*]I don't have AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

• It should be on your install DVD. If not, you have to use Google a little bit. I will not send you this kext via E-Mail or PN.