Broadcom bcm43xx wireless driver [beta]

mcsmart

860 posts in this topic

I read every page of this thread and came to my own conclusion as to what version chip was made by which manufacturer for my Belkin F5D7000 VERSION 3.000.

it is more than likely that iPC 10.5.6 FINAL will have the drivers you need (most likely broadcom will work) within the installer, as you may have read there might be a solution you can use involving the FAMILY801 (or whatever it is called) kext, but i cannot provide any details about that.

what i can tell you is that Belkin F5D7000 has various chip makers, i believe there are several versions of the card - 1., 2., 3., 7., 8., i really dont know all of them. i did some research and found RALINK RT61XX was an included chipset manufacturer for VERSION 3.!!!!

i worked on this for about a wekk and then found this driver. it doesnt work as a native AirPort Card but it works.

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html

last driver, install it - go to network preferences pane, verify connection (it will probably register as an ethernet port en1

restart and start safari - LEOPARD WILL CONNECT TO WHATEVER SIGNAL IT CAN

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS DRIVER SO THAT WE CAN USE THE CARD AS AN AIRPORT CARD!!!

GOOD LUCK

hey guys, broadcom lover ;)

my bcm4311 is not working(cannot turn it on) after i updated to 10.5.6. i have found a solution by changing 10.5.6's IO80211Family.kext with 10.5.5's IO80211Familiy.kext. maybe you guys can try it too... and dont forget to use the bcm43xx_enabler by mcsmart if your broadcom ID is not on the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext yet.

hope it works :)

i've tried to attached the file but it's over 4mb...and when i try to upload the file it only allow 2mb for a max. single upload size...maybe somenone can help me? :rolleyes:

i'm on acer 4720z

Update: 2009-01-05 10:27PM

Since it seems to be sort of difficult for new users to edit kext-files, I've written a small script which automatically adds the PCI IDs of all Broadcom wireless cards, which are AirPort compatible.

And this is where I need your feedback: Please post your Broadcom device IDs in this topic, if you have simply added them to the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext. Then I can add them to my script so new users can simply download the script and get their Broadcom wireless card to work.

So please post the PCI ID and maybe a little description (at least if the card is 802.11a, b or g).

Note: Only post the PCI ID if you simply have to add the ID to AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext in order to get it working!

Supported Chipsets:

• All Apple AirPort One Cards (4311,4312,4313,4319,431a,432a)
  • 4306, Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4309, Broadcom BCM4309 802.11 b Wireless LAN
  • 4318, Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4320, Broadcom BCM4320 b/g (confirmed)
  • 4324, Broadcom BCM4324 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 4325, Broadcom BCM4325 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 2b continued

Cards that are known to work:

• Belkin F5D7000
  • Buffalo WL12-PCI-G545
  • Linksys PCMCIA Card WPC54G
  • Dynex DX-BNBC
  • Probably tons of other cards, as long as they have a supported chipset...

Usage: unzip, open a Terminal window and type 'sudo ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh'. Reboot

It is recommended to install all AirPort-Updates from SoftwareUpdate before running this script.

Use this script at your own risk!!

Changelog:

• Version 0.5.2
    - fixed wrong permissions for /System/Library/Extensions
  • Version 0.5.1
    - added 4307, 4308, 4310, 4322, 4323 - just for testing
    - repair permissions of /System/Library/Extensions - just to make sure
  • Version 0.5
    - 4325 confirmed
    - updated to zip file again
  • Version 0.5pre2 (Beta release!)
    - added more chipsets (4314, 4315), I don't know if they even work...
    - gziped, because I don't have zip installed atm
  • Version 0.5pre (Beta release!)
    - initial Leopard support
    - added more chipsets (4321, 4e,432a,432b,432c,432d, ...)
  • Version 0.4
    - Only delete Extensions.kextcache/Extensions.mkext and not Extensions.*
  • Version 0.3
    - Delete the kextcache automatically
    - Fixed a typo that wouldn't allow the majority of users to delete the Airport2.kext

FAQ:

• "sudo: ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh: command can not be found"
    • N00b Attack: You need to be in the directory you have extracted the file to

[*]"My card shows up as an AirPort but it says disabled or not configured"

• This could have many reasons. Try one of the following things:

• Delete the current network setup (in network preferences) and create a new one. Reboot.
      • If you had no luck, try this.
      • If that does not help, open Terminal and type: sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist. Reboot

• If that does not help, try to move either the kext of your Wireless NIC or the kext of your wired NIC to a location where it does not get loaded on reboot. Then type (in Terminal):
        • sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
        • Reboot

[*]If that does not help either, try this. It says it is supposed to work for a LinkSys WMP54G, but I guess it should work with other AirPort cards too.

[*]Some Laptops have an option "Enable Wireless Hot Keys" in the system BIOS. If you have such an option you can try to disable (or enable) it.

[*]If you are using a PCI card, try putting the card into a different slot.

[*]If none of these things did the trick, your card might have a crappy software power-on/off switch. Get a new one :)

[*]I don't have AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

• It should be on your install DVD. If not, you have to use Google a little bit. I will not send you this kext via E-Mail or PN.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i have installed on my dell vostro 1510 iDeneb 10.5.5, i tried to work my Dell Wireless 1395 but i dont have lucky... In my Info.plist have this code

<dict>
	<key>Broadcom 802.11 PCI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>APRoamTrigger</key>
		<integer>-91</integer>
		<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		<string>com.apple.driver.AirPortBrcm43xx</string>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>AirPort_Brcm43xx</string>
		<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
		<string>IODefaultMatchCategory</string>
		<key>IONameMatch</key>
		<array>
			<string>pci106b,4e</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4306</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4309</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4311</string>
							<string>pci14e4,4312</string>
							<string>pci14e4,4313</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4314</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4315</string>
							<string>pci14e4,4318</string>
							<string>pci14e4,4319</string>
							<string>pci14e4,4320</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4321</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4324</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4325</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4328</string>
							<string>pci14e4,4329</string>
			<string>pci14e4,431a</string>
							<string>pci14e4,432a</string>
			<string>pci14e4,432b</string>
							<string>pci14e4,432c</string>
							<string>pci14e4,432d</string>
		</array>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
	</dict>
</dict>

Its fine?

• 2 weeks later...

mcsmart:

i tried this script on my HP Tx2 with a 4322AG. didn't work, cuz obviously it's not one of the ones listed.

I have limited familiarity with kexts but i CAN edit them. what do i need to edit in the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext? What string or key should I search for and replace? My wifi card has the Id: VEN_14E&DEV_432B&SUBSYS_137F103C. So, the Device Id is... 137F103C, correct? also, do i need to convert this to decimal or anything of the like? thanks

ok. not working for me for some reason. I updated Apple AirPort via software update prior to. I did execute the script and I witnessed it run in its entirety. but no worky for me.

Same here. All files were normally updated, patched were necessary, ... It's like the card doesn't exist.

Success, success !!!

I put the PCI card in another slot (the last one, furthest away from the video) and it was detected immediately, AirPort utility to configure network access, and voilà ! Still ethernet is faster, so I'll just keep Wifi for the printer.

Is it possible to keep Ethernet and Wifi active at the same time?

God damn it works really good to my BCM4312 card...

This is my first hackintosh on dell studio 1535 and I got everything working except my Video ATI HD 3450... but its okay for now :(

Thanks again! And cheers.

Can you help me with the card Broadcom BCM4311 802.11g Wireless Network Adapter PCI,system doesn't recognise it. It seems to be the most simple one,but having try to find its airport,I can't do it.It works in windows.

Device ID 14E4-4311

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4311&SUBSYS_04221468&REV_01

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4311&SUBSYS_04221468

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4311&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4311&CC_0280

Sorry for my bad english.Thank you for attention

Does anyone know if I can configure my dell wlan 1395 network adapter to work with this? Sorry if it's already been posted but this forum doesn't have a search in the thread feature which is really irritating.

This was me ages ago, and finally i have it working!

I added 3 chipset numbers to the plist file and then install airport update from apple and it worked :)

Am just about to install 2009-001 so fingers crossed that works!

Problem?

I installed iAtkos 2.0i on my Compaq Preasrio c701ea and there is no AppleAirPort... thing in the 1080211Family.kext ? I changed the .kext to a zip so i could look in the folder and there was only an autherios something in there?

Please help...?

Or locate me to a place where i can get a driver for mac for my wireless

Thanks

ok. not working for me for some reason. I updated Apple AirPort via software update prior to. I did execute the script and I witnessed it run in its entirety. but no worky for me.

Same ideal here, The wifi aspect is what is always making me not want to give Mac a try. I do hope that someone comes up with something that might help us soon.

I have an HP TX2Z with Wireless N card. I have ran the update for Airport, ran the script right and reboot, no miracle still :yoji:

Anyone knows if its coz I have a wireless n or am I just unlucky?

Running iDeneb 1.4 by the way

Thanks

I have some problem with my WiFi card.

This is my information:

Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g [14e4:4315] (rev 01)

Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company BCM4312 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller [103c:137d]

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16

Memory at dc000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)

Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3

Capabilities: [58] Vendor Specific Information <?>

Capabilities: [e8] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable+

Capabilities: [d0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00

Capabilities: [100] #14e4

I have installed the script and reboot. Now I can see the Airport Icon but I can't active it.

Help

Version 0.5.3 seems to change EVERY permission & ownership in the entire Extensions folder. Disk Utility has been running for about 10 minutes now repairing EVERY single file in the entire Extensions folder. Obviously the comment about this script repairing permissions isn't quite correct. I'd recommend everyone run Disk Utility after using this script. Otherwise, it works perfect for enabling 3rd party Broadcom devices, however I could have done this manually.

Version 0.5.3 seems to change EVERY permission & ownership in the entire Extensions folder.

I already did that starting with version 0.4.

Obviously the comment about this script repairing permissions isn't quite correct. I'd recommend everyone run Disk Utility after using this script.

Well, there is one problem: Tiger and Leopard seem to expect different permissions for /S/L/E. On my Leopard machine the permissions are correct after running the script. I could check for Leopard/Tiger but since Tiger also works with the permissions I set in the script it should not really matter what DiskUtility says.

@ramonbastos: RTFM, this script only works on Darwin. No other BSDs, Linux or Win***s. And please stop quoting other people's messages entirely!

- mcsmart

ok, im sorry im a n00b at mac im used to my comfortable windows, anyways, i have either a 4322AG or a 21? how do i find out which one i have and this dev id and what do i do to make my card come on? i ran the script but nothing, so im guessing im missing something i really dont know what the hell im doing, i have this plus my sound and try to get software updates working

I have bcrm4328, and I also tried the pin20 mod, but still to no avail. Does my card being a rev 001 have anything to do with this? Here's my wi-fi card specs from the System Profiler >> PCI cards.

Type: Other Network Controller

Driver Installed: No

Bus: PCI

Slot: PCI Slot@7,0,0

Vendor ID: 0x14e4

Device ID: 0x4328

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1468

Subsystem ID: 0x0319

Revision ID: 0x0001

Link Width: x1

Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s