Broadcom bcm43xx wireless driver [beta]

mcsmart

860 posts in this topic

Update: 2009-01-05 10:27PM

Since it seems to be sort of difficult for new users to edit kext-files, I've written a small script which automatically adds the PCI IDs of all Broadcom wireless cards, which are AirPort compatible.

And this is where I need your feedback: Please post your Broadcom device IDs in this topic, if you have simply added them to the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext. Then I can add them to my script so new users can simply download the script and get their Broadcom wireless card to work.

So please post the PCI ID and maybe a little description (at least if the card is 802.11a, b or g).

Note: Only post the PCI ID if you simply have to add the ID to AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext in order to get it working!

Supported Chipsets:

• All Apple AirPort One Cards (4311,4312,4313,4319,431a,432a)
  • 4306, Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4309, Broadcom BCM4309 802.11 b Wireless LAN
  • 4318, Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4320, Broadcom BCM4320 b/g (confirmed)
  • 4324, Broadcom BCM4324 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 4325, Broadcom BCM4325 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 2b continued

Cards that are known to work:

• Belkin F5D7000
  • Buffalo WL12-PCI-G545
  • Linksys PCMCIA Card WPC54G
  • Dynex DX-BNBC
  • Probably tons of other cards, as long as they have a supported chipset...

Usage: unzip, open a Terminal window and type 'sudo ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh'. Reboot

It is recommended to install all AirPort-Updates from SoftwareUpdate before running this script.

Use this script at your own risk!!

Changelog:

• Version 0.5.2
    - fixed wrong permissions for /System/Library/Extensions
  • Version 0.5.1
    - added 4307, 4308, 4310, 4322, 4323 - just for testing
    - repair permissions of /System/Library/Extensions - just to make sure
  • Version 0.5
    - 4325 confirmed
    - updated to zip file again
  • Version 0.5pre2 (Beta release!)
    - added more chipsets (4314, 4315), I don't know if they even work...
    - gziped, because I don't have zip installed atm
  • Version 0.5pre (Beta release!)
    - initial Leopard support
    - added more chipsets (4321, 4e,432a,432b,432c,432d, ...)
  • Version 0.4
    - Only delete Extensions.kextcache/Extensions.mkext and not Extensions.*
  • Version 0.3
    - Delete the kextcache automatically
    - Fixed a typo that wouldn't allow the majority of users to delete the Airport2.kext

FAQ:

• "sudo: ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh: command can not be found"
    • N00b Attack: You need to be in the directory you have extracted the file to

[*]"My card shows up as an AirPort but it says disabled or not configured"

• This could have many reasons. Try one of the following things:

• Delete the current network setup (in network preferences) and create a new one. Reboot.
      • If you had no luck, try this.
      • If that does not help, open Terminal and type: sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist. Reboot

• If that does not help, try to move either the kext of your Wireless NIC or the kext of your wired NIC to a location where it does not get loaded on reboot. Then type (in Terminal):
        • sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
        • Reboot

[*]If that does not help either, try this. It says it is supposed to work for a LinkSys WMP54G, but I guess it should work with other AirPort cards too.

[*]Some Laptops have an option "Enable Wireless Hot Keys" in the system BIOS. If you have such an option you can try to disable (or enable) it.

[*]If you are using a PCI card, try putting the card into a different slot.

[*]If none of these things did the trick, your card might have a crappy software power-on/off switch. Get a new one ;)

[*]I don't have AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

• It should be on your install DVD. If not, you have to use Google a little bit. I will not send you this kext via E-Mail or PN.

MCSMART script ( bcm43xx_enabler_0.5.2.sh.zip) works on my Compaq Notebook CQ40-128AU Broadcom wireless..

Thank you MCSMART.

Hello :)

I tried your tut but it didn't worked :)

at first when I go to extensions there is no folder I do see Info.plist.AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext but It doesn't work my card. So what have I done? I download the file to my desktop and did this:

Usage: unzip, open a Terminal window and type 'sudo ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh'. Reboot

What am I doing wrong?

btw this is my chipset : BCM4318

Hello, here I am under Tiger 10.4.8 Jas asus with a laptop and wifi A2C does not work under Tiger, it works under Leopard, so I want it to work under tiger. I tried your solution but my wireless card (Broadcom 4306) ethernet is recognized and therefore does not work, airport is not configured, so I tried to hazard any solutions at the end of the posts but does not Airport . Please, could someone tell me how? Thank you in advance! :-)

ps: Sorry for English google, I'm French.

I'm looking for advice (like some others...). In 10.5.5 my broadcom based wireless adapter works fine but in 10.5.6 it's a no go - I can't get it to turn on in the network system preferences. I'm on a Lenovo T60 with a PCMCIA adapter.

Thanks,

SMF

Well, I've tried almost everything, but I've still got a problem with my Dell 1395 WLAN card...

The system recognizes the Airport card, but I can't find any infrastructure networks with it.

At first I thought the drivers were incorrect or so, but if I create an AdHoc network or try to join one the 1395 WLAN card works like a charm... :)

Any ideas?!

Edit: Well, seems its chip is a BCM4310, I'll simply get another WLAN card. Will be a Dell 1390 this time :)

hello friends,

today i installed in my case the USRobotics USR54517A (pci 14e4/4318).

Airport device is recognized and activated, but it can not find any wireless network!

I used even the Broadcom package of Ideneb v1.3....

and nothing special happens!

[ although I have signed the retail 10.5.6 I'm now temporarily returned to ideneb v1.3 (10.5.5) ]

the 10.5.5 profiler say: "recognized as third party airport"

How can I solve this annoying situation?

Help pleas..(i'm novice on wirelesskext and generically on mac terminal) :P

Well, I've bought another WLAN card, Dell 1390 with BCM4311 this time, but it has the same Problems as the other one with the BCM4310 chip.

AdHoc is working fine, but I can't find any infrastructure WLAN networks.

fwood, we seem to have the same problem :-/

Well, I've bought another WLAN card, Dell 1390 with BCM4311 this time, but it has the same Problems as the other one with the BCM4310 chip.

AdHoc is working fine, but I can't find any infrastructure WLAN networks.

fwood, we seem to have the same problem :-/

damnation, after having lost about 7000 neurons trying to work fine the d-link-dwlg-520 with Atheros .... i had seen in the Wiki that the USRobotics usr5417 worked out of the box,

so i bought it! :)

Im in need of some noob help, im VERY new to osx, and ive managed to get all the files working and the .sh file to run, my info.plist is all newly edited and good looking... i have a dell inspiron 1525 with Dell 1395 WLAN.. so i run the script, it looks good, i reboot.. and my os starts up fine, just nothing happens, i go to the airport utility, it finds nothing on the scan. I go to the system profiler and under network, i only have firewire info..

im thinking im probably missing something very simple.. but like i said im VERY new to osx.. any ideas?

im 100% sure the files are where they need to be, and edited correctly, but could it be permissions? or just my computer isnt looking for new hardware? im totally lost here.

Hello everyone!

I have a Ibm T30, most everythign is working. of course the wifi card that came with it does not work with osx. i researched and the dell 1350 seemed like a pretty safe bet. i bough one off ebay. i installed it and...the system wont boot. i mean the laptop tells me

Error

1802: Unauthorized network card is plugged in - Power Off and remove the miniPCI network card.

anybody have this issue?

i did notice that the old miniPCI card i removed has a place to plug in some power, but this card does not...

nevermind!! i was able to get a fix for that 1802 error, and installed ur driver and BAM I have airport now! whoot whoot! THANKS A TON

Cool. How did you fix it?

- mcsmart

hello, i have laptop HP550 and i have the same problem. my broadcom is in this list.

but when i write in terminal this: "sudo: ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh" the reply is: sudo: ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh: no such file or directory

Please, explain in more details how to run this script ;)

How can i be in the same direction and this time write in terminal?

i am noob in mac, but i need your help :)

thanks!

Update: 2009-01-05 10:27PM

Since it seems to be sort of difficult for new users to edit kext-files, I've written a small script which automatically adds the PCI IDs of all Broadcom wireless cards, which are AirPort compatible.

And this is where I need your feedback: Please post your Broadcom device IDs in this topic, if you have simply added them to the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext. Then I can add them to my script so new users can simply download the script and get their Broadcom wireless card to work.

So please post the PCI ID and maybe a little description (at least if the card is 802.11a, b or g).

Note: Only post the PCI ID if you simply have to add the ID to AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext in order to get it working!

Supported Chipsets:

• All Apple AirPort One Cards (4311,4312,4313,4319,431a,432a)
  • 4306, Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4309, Broadcom BCM4309 802.11 b Wireless LAN
  • 4318, Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4320, Broadcom BCM4320 b/g (confirmed)
  • 4324, Broadcom BCM4324 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 4325, Broadcom BCM4325 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 2b continued

Cards that are known to work:

• Belkin F5D7000
  • Buffalo WL12-PCI-G545
  • Linksys PCMCIA Card WPC54G
  • Dynex DX-BNBC
  • Probably tons of other cards, as long as they have a supported chipset...

It is recommended to install all AirPort-Updates from SoftwareUpdate before running this script.

Use this script at your own risk!!

Changelog:

• Version 0.5.2
    - fixed wrong permissions for /System/Library/Extensions
  • Version 0.5.1
    - added 4307, 4308, 4310, 4322, 4323 - just for testing
    - repair permissions of /System/Library/Extensions - just to make sure
  • Version 0.5
    - 4325 confirmed
    - updated to zip file again
  • Version 0.5pre2 (Beta release!)
    - added more chipsets (4314, 4315), I don't know if they even work...
    - gziped, because I don't have zip installed atm
  • Version 0.5pre (Beta release!)
    - initial Leopard support
    - added more chipsets (4321, 4e,432a,432b,432c,432d, ...)
  • Version 0.4
    - Only delete Extensions.kextcache/Extensions.mkext and not Extensions.*
  • Version 0.3
    - Delete the kextcache automatically
    - Fixed a typo that wouldn't allow the majority of users to delete the Airport2.kext

FAQ:

• "sudo: ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh: command can not be found"
    • N00b Attack: You need to be in the directory you have extracted the file to

[*]"My card shows up as an AirPort but it says disabled or not configured"

• This could have many reasons. Try one of the following things:

• Delete the current network setup (in network preferences) and create a new one. Reboot.
      • If you had no luck, try this.
      • If that does not help, open Terminal and type: sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist. Reboot

• If that does not help, try to move either the kext of your Wireless NIC or the kext of your wired NIC to a location where it does not get loaded on reboot. Then type (in Terminal):
        • sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
        • Reboot

[*]If that does not help either, try this. It says it is supposed to work for a LinkSys WMP54G, but I guess it should work with other AirPort cards too.

[*]Some Laptops have an option "Enable Wireless Hot Keys" in the system BIOS. If you have such an option you can try to disable (or enable) it.

[*]If you are using a PCI card, try putting the card into a different slot.

[*]If none of these things did the trick, your card might have a crappy software power-on/off switch. Get a new one :)

[*]I don't have AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

• It should be on your install DVD. If not, you have to use Google a little bit. I will not send you this kext via E-Mail or PN.

Thanks, my wireless works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ran the script and then did the reboot per your instructions and now everytime the computer reboots it will go to the apple logo and then come up with a grey window that says that you need to shutdown and reboot. The only way for me to get into the computer is to do a safe boot. Any ideas??

Specs: Kalyway 10.5.2

Dell Studio 17

T5800 Intel core 2 dou

Dell 1397 Wireless

320GB 4GB RAM