The Official Dual Booting Thread

Swad

549 posts in this topic

Hi there... I succesfully made a dual Kalyway 10.5.1/Windows 7 RTM on an Intel q9300/Asus p5e as follows - no hacking required, start from scratch thought:

1. Start Kalyway installation and make two partitions, the first journaled-extended and the second NOT free but MSDOS fat - also I use GUID scheme

2. Start Wwindows 7 installation on the second partition

3. Start Kalyway installation on the first

that;s all

HTH

edit: You may want to check this as well since it will otherwise finally create 3 startup options, a blank one, the MAC and the foreign .....

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/08/20/h...ling-windows-7/

Ok, here is mine!

Already had an install of XP and 10.5.6 on the same drive, obviously two separate partitions. Using chamelon to dual boot, easy no problem at all.

I then installed Windows 7 into a new 60gig drive that was in my PS3 :)

When I rebooted only the option to boot xp or 7 was there.

I also noticed that 7 didn't or couldn't see my drive with xp and os x on it when in explorer!

So I downloaded EasyBCD which allows you to modify Vista and 7 boot loaders. I then went into windows drive management via my computer, and gave my xp drive a letter. Then via EBCD I added a mac boot option.

Rebooted and the option for mac was there, it then leads you to the original boot selection screen of XP or Mac.

All OS are working 100%..

hye...i have 2 hard disk..1 hd with windows 7..and the other 1 is iatkosv7..

i can boot both of it..but i have to press f12 to change boot order..

i already try by copy chain0 into C..but i think it is possible if both os in same hard disk..

any idea..how i want to boot without pressing f12?try using easybcd 2.0 beta..but failed..

is master or slave have a reason for this error?

thx..

• 3 weeks later...

i dont know if this is knowledge, but to me it was a new thing:

My set up is like this :

d0 = Snow

d1 = BlackHole (just a store for HFS+)

d2 = a dvd

d5= Win7

I did install OSX first, and before i did that i made it first bootdisk from bios.

when everything work, i made d5 as first disk and installed Win7 on it. After upgrading and so on i made d0 as first again and Chameleon is now booting and showing all bootable partition.

BUT :

there are 4 of them, in this order

MacIntosh HD (OSX) / System Reserved / DasBoot (Win7) / MaXtor (USB HD)

If i want to boot Win7, i choose System Reserved, not DasBoot !

Multiboot works !

- i have tried before to boot directly with DasBoot (Win7) and always get error that "boot .... missing". JUst stupid of me not to try this before.

Kari

How I did dual boot with 2 different HDD drive (HDD 0- Windows XP, HDD 1 - Leo Retail 10.5):

1. Install Acronis OS selector on HHD0 when I installed Windows.

2. Install Chameleon RC3 on HDD1 When i Installed Leo Retail

3. In BIOS Boot from HDD0

4. In Acronis Settings Default OS Leo, and choose 0 second wait for default OS...

When I boot, first off all boot Acronis and after (after approximately 2 seconds) automatic default boot chameleon, when working 2 system leo and xp

sorry for my english.... Hope it will help someone

• 2 weeks later...

Here how i did :

Installed windows 7 ultimate 64 on my first HD using my bios preferences to match the Mac OSX install.

Unplugged the disk and installed OSX 6.0 on another disk then upgraded to 6.2 and made the disk bootable.

Plugged back my Win 7 disk.

Press f12 at boot to choose wich drive u want.

works great so far i'm on read only on my NTFS drive but no big deal i also can access other computers on my network wich are win7.

Here is my config :

Gigabyte EP43 D3SL

Q8200 Core 2 QUAD

GeForce 8500GS 512mb (planning on ATI 4850 soon)

4 GB DDR2 800

IDE DVD Rom (not recognized on OSX)

HD SATA Seagate 250go as windows main

HD SATA Samsung 160go as OSX main

Regular USB keyboard

2.4Ghz Wireless mouse USB (works great)

Bluetooth dongle noname (paid 4$ for it) wich is working great with any bluetooth device (tried even Mac keyboards)

i used method from lifehacker with EP45 UD3P package.

Here's how I dual boot Windows 7 & OSX Leo4All 10.5.4:

Have 7 installed first off (if you want to start clean I suggest googling how to install 7 without hidden 100mb partition as it shows up in OSX and is not necessary)

If you googled that step you don't need to the next couple, but if you are working straight from 7 you do.

Go to partition manager and shrink your partition by desired amount.

DO NOT FORMAT OR DO ANYTHING AT ALL TO NEW PARTITION!!!

Now go to cmd

"diskpart"

"select disk 0"

"create partition primary id=af"

"list partition"

"select partition 2"

"active"

"exit"

"exit"

What that did was make an HFS+ partition using the entirety of the free space you created earlier. You can specify a size by putting "size=amount in mb's" after the word primary above.

Install OSX and bootloader of choice (I suggest Chameleon RC3 package by dadaz)

Once OSX is installed restart, you'll see both OS' listed but 7 won't boot.

Boot 7 from the install dvd

Select language and hit next

Repair computer

Command Prompt

diskpart

select disk 0

select partition 1

active

exit

exit

Then choose startup repair and restart when prompted. If still won't boot go to install dvd again and startup repair restart, should be good.

In 7 cmd

diskpart

select disk 0

select partition 2

active

exit

exit

Should be able to boot into 7 or OSX from Chameleon from there. If you get com.apple.boot.plist error I set a power password that I have to enter at power-up and it solved that. You'll find that in your BIOS. You may not be disk 0 and partition 1&2 so sub your numbers for what they are. To access files on either OS from the other put NTFS-3G on OSX and Macdrive on 7. Good luck!

well I am pretty new to this so this is what I did.

My Laptop:

Acer Aspire 6920 Gemstone Blue

Chipset & Processor:

Intel Core Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz

Mobile Intel PM9765 Express chipset

Itel wireless WiFi link 4965AGN

3 gig RAM, DDR2 667 MGHz

320gig HDD

NVIDIA Geoforce 9500 GS graphics

Well I use a copy of iDenib v. 1.7 10.5.7, I already have Windows 7 Ultimate on my machine, made the partition and all that. Install went good till it rebooted, then it did a Kernel Panic. Rebooted again and it went through only my touchpad & keyboard will not work. I can attach a usb mouse and that will work well. But still no luck on getting the keyboard to work. Also I keep getting these Kernel Panics, about every other reboot. ??? Windows 7 boots fine and OSX seems to be a little buggy to boot. I am going to try iAtkos 7 and see if anything will change for me. If any one can help it would be great. Buyt thus far it seems like a half way sucsessful dual boot of a GEMSTONE BLUE. If anyone can help lease email gbrandan@yahoo.com, i check it all day. Thanks guys.

i am really having trouble with dual booting and i have been following lots of different threads.

i am running Win7 64bit on my acer 4920 (320gb HDD)

i would like to install Iaktos v7 on a separate partition , i went into my computer-manage - drive, and then created a partition to install Iaktos on, i then rebooted the laptop with Iaktos disc and went to format partition, but it couldnt see the drive or partition, i tried to create a partition in disk utility option, but when trying i get "I/O error"

pls pls help

After spending a weekend in front of the computer, I finally managed to dual boot Windows 7 and Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 on my Dell Vostro 1310 laptop

Here's how I did it:

- I installed Windows 7 first on the first partition of my disk

- Then I booted up the iPC OSx86 10.5.6 PPF5 and installed Leopard 10.5.6 on the second parition

- After installing and rebooting, I encountered the boot0 error, so I booted back to the iPC DVD, then using Terminal from there, I set my Mac partition active (with help from this guide)

- With that, I managed to avoid the boot0 error and boot into Win 7, though Mac OS X was still nowhere to be seen. So I downloaded and used EasyBCD to add a Mac boot entry

- After another rebooting, I could then fire up Mac OS X. Almost everything worked, except the screen was a low 1024x768 and a few other things.

- Right away, I opened Software update and let Mac update itself to 10.5.8

- Another reboot, I was in Leopard 10.5.8, and amazing enough, the screen fixed itself, a beautiful 1280x800

- By then, all I had to do was throwing a few kexts here and there to fix various compatible stuffs (wifi, sound,...)

And that's how I now proudly own a Dell Vostro 1310 with both Windows 7 and Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8.

47740896-b117ffb868418ce58379f1cb88a279b1.4b1bf495-scaled.png

As I received tons of help from this forum's wonderful people, I hope this would help others too

• 2 weeks later...

I once installed MacOS X 10.5.2 by Kalyway on a separate hard disk. I hadn't done it before, so to avoid any mistakes I disconnected the regular system disk and connected a new disk. I installed it without any options, it worked straight away. Then I connected the original disk and I had to change the boot order at the BIOS every time. Of course this wasn't very convenient, so I found a guide to add chain0 to the Windows Boot Loader and I had dual boot with Windows Vista Utlimate and MacOS X 10.5.2 Some days later I discovered the utility EasyBCD which makes tweaking the Windows Boot Loader far easier. I could also name the boot entries the way I liked, such as "Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate" and "Apple MacOS 10.5.2 (Leopard)". Thankfully Kalyway included drivers for the Intel chipset and nVidia card, and I found Realtek HD Audio drivers in InsanelyMac forum that made sound work, but no input. Who, cares? I was trying Leopard, I didn't want to replace Windows. Realtek LAN was working with build-in drivers. I even found printer drivers for our network printer and managed to access it from the network. I could also see all the network shares in Windows computers running Windows XP. I also installed DivX for Mac and I could play most of our demo videos (the test was done in a Computer store). Pity Snow Leopard is not that easy to install...

I hope that helped.

PS: The test computer had a modern Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, but the same Kalyway version installs without any issues on a Prescott (Pentium 4 3.0GHz socket 478) as minimum requirements are SSE3 instruction support. Of course it doesn't install on a Penitum 4 2.8GHz (no SSE3 support).

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings and a happy chrismahanakwanasoltaramadanica,

Obviously I'm new here but I have been researching the dual booting idea for a few weeks. I purchased a used Dell Latitude about 4 weeks back its ss2 compatible and I am in the middle of installing iDeneb today.

I am trying a slightly different approach to many I've read up on since I have the tools to do it. I removed the lap tops Hard drive and connected it directly to my Mac desktop and am attempting to perform a direct install using an adapti bridge usb device, pacifist, and my DVD burn of iD to a disk formatted with two partitions.

I reserved a small bit of space on one partition to install Ubuntu directly from the Dell so I can take advantage of its boot loader to run iDeneb on the Dell this approach might require some tweaks to ensure OSX boots up properly, but so far its going smoothly. I played around with it on the Dell a couple times with a little trial and error but the fact that Ubuntu recognizes OSX on the HD is promising (I had carbon copied the deneb install disc directly to the HD on a previous attempt to see if it would boot and install on the other partition at that point).

I'm wondering if the Kernel that comes with version 1.3 (10.5.5) is sufficient enough or I should replace it with the voo doo kernel. I wonder has anyone used this approach and if so any advice would be appreciated.

Dual Booting Win 7 Professional 64bit Retail and Snow Leopard 10.6.2 64bit (Retail Image + a few kexts for the hardware.)

Hardware:

- 1 HDD for Snow Leopard

- 1 HDD for Win 7

Motherboard connections:

- SATA0 - Snow Leopard HDD

- SATA1 - Win 7 HDD

Installing Win 7:

- Disconnect all HDDs but Win 7 HDD on SATA1

- Install Win 7 as you normally would. I did it via DVD.

Installing Snow Leopard:

- Disconnect all HDDs but Snow Leopard HDD on SATA0

- I installed Snow Leopard using [this insanelymac guide] replacing author's kexts with the kexts for my particular system and using 64bit Kernel instead of 32bit. It will have you load the latest Chameleon (RC4 at the time of writing) on your Snow Leopard HDD EFI partition.

Once Snow Leopard is installed:

- Connect win 7 HDD

- Boot. Chameleon should recognize win 7 (System Reserve and Windows NTFS) partitions. Select System Reserve to boot to win 7.

This was the least painful way to install both OSs for me. Hope this helps.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays

• 2 weeks later...

One simple question (i think). I have 5 patitions: 1st primary (winxp), 3 ntfs (work, data, stuff) and 1 ntfs where i want to install mac (i have the iatkos v7 version). I need to make changes to the partitions to make the installation of mac works? I dont want to loose any of the other partitions in the process.

One simple question (i think). I have 5 patitions: 1st primary (winxp), 3 ntfs (work, data, stuff) and 1 ntfs where i want to install mac (i have the iatkos v7 version). I need to make changes to the partitions to make the installation of mac works? I dont want to loose any of the other partitions in the process.

If you have a spare hard drive, see my post on this page: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...8411&st=560

Oops, I didn't notice you have Windows XP. My method is for Windows Vista/7.

Loaded Ubuntu added:

open control panel>>system>>advanced>>startup and recovery click edit and add this line to the end of the page."C:\chain0="OS X"

Now I get this when I try to boot in the OS X so I can load OS X

windows root system32 hal.dll corrupt or missing

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to everybody,:)

I installed idenb 10.5.6 updated to 10.5.8 on my asus z92j. I have a dual boot with Darwin and xp.

I wonder if anyone here as ever tried to use vmware for osx to run xp on a insanelymac...:)

wouldn't it be nice?

I apologize for the signature, as soon as I manage to insert it I will do

I got my netbook to triple boot Windows 7 Home Premium, OS X 10.5.6 (planning on upgrading to 10.6 soon), and Ubuntu 9.10. I now have 100GB on 7, 80GB on OS X, and 40GB on Ubunutu, as well as a 4 GB swap file and an 8GB transfer partition (for all partitions)

Hi,

I've got a hard drive with two partitions. One has XP and the other has Windows 7, I'm about to delete the Windows 7 partition and install Snow Leopard on it. Does anyone know if I'll have any boot problems after Snow Leopard is installed? Will OSX overwrite the original boot record? I'm just afraid I might corrupt the MBR and lose my XP partition.

Hi,

I've got a hard drive with two partitions. One has XP and the other has Windows 7, I'm about to delete the Windows 7 partition and install Snow Leopard on it. Does anyone know if I'll have any boot problems after Snow Leopard is installed? Will OSX overwrite the original boot record? I'm just afraid I might corrupt the MBR and lose my XP partition.

You will never lose your XP partition, f you only harm the Win7 partition, but you will screw up the bootloader.

You will be able to boot both XP and SL with a bootloader like Chameleon e.g.

If you screw up osx bootloader or SL doesn't work, you can repair the XP bootloader with XP install cd after setting start partition to XP partition again with OS X install dvd for example.

SL itself only supports only GUID, youwill have to patch OSInstall.mpkg or download a alrdy patched one for MBR-support.

V1nc3nt

I need some help here... I'm a newbie, so I don't know much.

A few days ago, I installed iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6 on a partition I created with Win 7. OS X worked fine, but when I tried to boot into the Windows NTFS partition, it just says something like:

BOOTLOADER is missing

Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart

I've had this happen before, but last time, I merely fixed it with the startup repair on the Win 7 install DVD. This time however, the install DVD can't even locate my Win 7 installation, so it doesn't do the repair correctly. So now, my Win 7 is screwed, but my OS X runs perfectly. Anybody knows why this will happen, and how to fix it?

Oh, and is this a boot0 error? I tried deleting OS X and reformatting the OS X partition into a FAT32, but when I try to boot up then, it says something about boot0, and still won't boot up. So now I've got OS X back, and my Win 7 is still screwed.

:wacko: Greetings everyone. I have both mac os kalyway 10.5.3(updated) and windows xp running on different hard drives and dual booting from bios. NO SOFTWARE

This is how I did it. (you will need two hard drives. a copy of mac and windows)

1. make sure your bios system is able to run ite8212f controllor for your hard drives. (I have 5 in total)

2.With one hard drive (on Master) connect to primary ide and install windows and all updates. ( leave your cd-dvd rom as slave on primary ide. Don't disconnect windows will read it)

3. After windows is fully installed,( you can still add programs later) disconnect from the primary ide and connect to second ide as master (remember the type of hard drive and select that drive in bios setup) and run windows. (should be working run it a couple of times to may sure)

4. Install the second hard drive (on master) to primary ide. ( wherer you did windows) and in the bios select that hard drive on primary Ide. ( boot order cd, hard drive,floppy) have mac disc in cd-dvd rom.

5. Leave conected after installation. ( you should have mac on one hd and windows on another hd)

Remember which hd id which.

note Windows will find mac hd but will not access it & mac will not see the windows hd untill I find a way for the ite8212f controllor to be seen by mac.

mac os kalyway 10.5.2 with 10.5.3 update