The Official Dual Booting Thread

Swad

549 posts in this topic

I have two separate SATA harddrive. I first installed Vista Ultimate x64 in disk 1 and installed Leopard (Kalyway 10.5.2. + Update to 10.5.4) for the other one.

I used GUID partition for my Leopard. Not sure if this is going to be useful, my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3.

Before I go on, the following method is not invented by me, so I do not take any credit for that. It is based on the information I've gathered here and there in the web. I modify it accordingly to suit my set up.

Okay, so here are the steps...

1. Download and install EasyBCD 1.7.2

2. Copy and paste the boot0 file into your C folder

*you can find the boot0 file in your Leopard DVD under /usr/standalone/i386/guid folder

3. Rename the boot0 file to nst_mac.efi

4. Launch EasyBCD and click Add/Remove Entries on the left pane

5. On the right pane, under "Add an entry", click on the Mac tab, select iMac/Macbook as the type and name it whatever you want. I named mine Mac OS X Leopard, then click Add Entry

6. Go to Manage Bootloader section and select Reinstall the Vista Bootloader, click Write MBR

7. Once you are done with this, go back to your C folder and you should see a folder call NST there (i'm not too sure if this folder exist before doing the setting in EasyBCD)

8. Now move your nst_mac.efi file to the NST folder

9. Restart your computer and enable AHCI in the Bios so that you can boot into Leopard. You should be able to see the option to select Vista or Leopard at startup now.

10. Select Leopard to see if it loads, if not, you might have to seek help elsewhere. If it works, restart and disable the AHCI setting and boot into Vista again.

11. If you haven't already done so, you should enable AHCI in your Vista now so that you don't have to re-enable and disable AHCI each time you switch between the two OS.

*It's easy to do this, google is your friend here. Just type "enable ahci vista" without the quotes as the keyword!

12. Restart and get ready to witness the wonders of a perfectly working vista leopard dualboot right in front of your eyes!

Enjoy!

-_-

so are you starting with leopard or vista installed and when do you install the second os(and what method do you use (if its leopard))??

Im looking for an easy Bootloader, similar to josh007.

I tried Acronis OS selector but so far its not working out...

I installed the program (from the BootCD), then selected 'Activate Acronis OS Selector'

Now the OS Selector loads up, but its terribly slow (have to wait almost 5 mins per key i hit) and it only recognises 2 'Unknown OSes'.

Darwin Bootloader is working fine, i am using 2 partitions with Windows XP Prof. SP3 on the first one and iDeneb (10.5.5) on the second one.

Anyone know what might be the cause of these issues?

Acronis OS selector looks fine to me, because its an easy GUI and its easy to change options.

I want Windows XP to be the default choice for example.

Any help would be great! :D

First post here so apologies in advance.

I have two working installs on separate drives for XP Pro and x86. I now want to combine them into dual boot on a single drive.

Reading through this thread and wiki I will use the XP disk (the larger of the two anyway ) and leave XP at the beginning of the partition and will probably use the chain0 method.

I need help copying the x86 install to the XP disk.

Do I leave the balance of the drive unformatted or do I create an extended partition for GUID x86 (the tutorial I used suggested GUID install)? I suppose I should use dd but I'm not completely sure of the commands to copy x86. I'm not sure this is important but I only have 1 partition available on the XP disk; presently 1 is the hidden recovery partition, 1 is XP OS, and 1 is DATA.

Regarding chain0 method, should I apply this before copying x86 to disk?

I anticipate I'll have to apply the fdisk, boot_v8, and dd commands just as I would after restoring from Time Machine.

I appreciate any guidance.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a big problem i do the following tasks but see this error "Chain booting error"

1) Create Two partition as primary one for xp and one for osx (see image attached)

2) the osx partition is AF

3) install mac os

4) install xp

5) I added "C:\chain0="MAC OS X" to the boot.ini file in xp.

6) i have use this command in osx boot menu using "-s" : fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

but have this problem "chain booting error"

i can boot from mac os dvd when i have changed the partition of mac to "active" (with fdisk command of a win 98 bootable disk )

plaese help me and say what is wrong (step by step please :) )

very thanks

post-337882-1229582842_thumb.jpg

hey guys, two short questions...

1. Does the chain0 method work, when xp and leopard are installed on two seperate hdds?
  2. When using easyBCD without vista (so just xp and leopard on seperate disks), do i need some additional files like nst_mac.mbr? Or does this tool all by itself?

ciao

hans

• 2 weeks later...

Finally working with GRUB. Vista on Partition 1, OSX on 2. Downloaded & copied pc_efi_v80 to /boot on my Linux partition.

-----------

title SUSE LINUX

root (hd0,5)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD501LJS0MUJDWQ256316-part6 splash=silent showopts

initrd /boot/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###

title Failsafe -- SUSE LINUX

root (hd0,5)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD501LJS0MUJDWQ256316-part6 showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume edd=off x11failsafe

initrd /boot/initrd

title Vista

rootnoverify (hd0,5)

chainloader (hd0,0)+1

title OSX

rootnoverify (hd0,1)

kernel (hd0,5)/boot/boot_v8

chainloader +1

• 2 weeks later...

My multiboot with two HDs :

In my 1st WDC 320GB:

- install Windows XP Professional SP3 in C: primary partition ----> active partition

- install Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP2 in D:, this is the first partition of the logical drive

- i put my important data in E: in the second partition of the rest logical drive

In my 2nd WDC 320GB:

- install BlackCH XxX 10.5.5 PPF1 in primary partition -----> make it active during installation with flag command in Terminal

- Cross platform data in F: partition in logical drive with FAT32 file system, cos i don't use NTFS-3G and MacFUSE that can screw my NTFS partitions

- the rest of it is partition G: wich to store music and image data

my-drives-partitions.gif

i used Vista bootloader and VistaBootPRO 3.3 to manage OS list entry, make my Windows XP as default boot and put chain0 in C: and D:

and edit boot.ini file that can find in Windows XP partition with a line like this:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT /BOOTLOGO /PAE

c:\chain0="Mac OS X 10.5.6 Leopard"

the last step just set 1st WDC in BIOS to boot from.....

now i can choose what OS i wanna use......

triboot.gif

it's easy to do ....... :(

Dual Booted Win 7 build 7000 & iPC OSx86 10.5.6.

Booted off OSx Disk, used disk utill to partition drive into 3 FAT partitions using GUID partitioning system.

Restart an boot of Win 7 Setup disk.

Formatted Partition 1 NTFS and Install Win 7

Set up account checked everything worked and restarted

Boot of OSx used disk utill to format Partition 2 Mac Journaled

Installed Mac OSx

Set up account and checked everything worked.

Now..... restarted and booted staright into Win, no darwin, nothing, but would boot into OSx if i left setup DVD in drive, tried re-installing chamelleon didnt work.

Booted into Win, downloaded EasyBCD 2.0 Beta, installed added entry for OSx

Worked Like A Charm!!!!

I now have OSx 10.5.6 installed, all drivers working and on vanilla kernel!!!!

System Specs;-

Intel Dual Core E2200

Foxconn 945G7AD-8EKRS2H

2Gb DDR2

Onboard Connexant HD Audio

Intel GMA950 Video (Working - all resolutions with some Artifacts)

EDIT;- Forgot to add that when it booted straight into win after osx install i tried the old fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 trick but came up with an error that i cant remember and thats why i went down the easybcd route

Ok this is a newbie question.

I have two hard drives in my machine. First one runs Windows Vista and Windows 7. The second one is just a data drive. If I formatted the windows 7 partition would I be able to install OSX on that partition and still get my dual boot screen?

Thanks

it didnt work out for me. :-(

i have one hdd, enough space and i had windows xo on it. I added os-x as explained with the right format.

i refered to the chain0 with the boot.ini in the C: folder.

I took the gparted live cd and managed the flags, tick the flag from windows.

i see the bootmanager and the two options:

- XP and

- Mac Osx

When i chosse for mac system i am back to the choice menue in a few seconds.

Can someone help me with that?

Thanks in advance

Hi All,

I tried to get my 6400 running with IDeneb v1.3 10.5.5,

I'm dual booting with XP, I installed OSX completly with no errors and all was going great until i rebooted after the install.

"still waiting for root device" appears in the diagnostic boot up.

Basically it goes no further.

** Please help, I HAVE done alot of research on this, i'm not just posting because i'm lazy **

* I selected no options during setup. Everything default.

* Partitions are setup like this...

1) UNKNOWN

2) WINXP

3) MAC_OSX

4) SHARED_DRIVE

In the BIOS there are no options for SATA, so i can't switch anything there.

I also tried rd=disk0s2 / rd=disk0s3 to see if that would work. No joy.

Also, i disabled Dual CPU's in the BIOS. And i also tried cpus=1 option.

Any suggestions? I'm totally stumped!

Kwikk

Hi,

I have a different issue and need help ;-)

1. The configuration:

2 Hard drives (sata2) - both with only one partition - the device0 has 10.5.5 iDeneb installed (boots nice), and the device1 has vista installed (also boots nice when forced to boot from this drive via bios).

2. The problem:

Normally I would boot from the vista bootloader (just adding the osx drive to the boot.ini and copying the chain0) but I have to do this the other way round - because I have no possible way to boot from the second device (dev1) automatically (the bios forces to boot from the dev0 sata device (and does it once each reboot - so i cant set this - i can only set from what device I want to boot - dvd/usb etc. and of course SATA which is NOT divided into disks - only SATA CONTROLLER - so it always boots from 0 when i set this as default) and i cant swap them physically because they won't boot at all when they get their id's swapped) - so I would like to boot Vista with Darwin - and I can't solve this out ... I see the vista drive in OsX without problems, both disks are bootable (checked with fdisk etc.) ... I can't see a way to force Darwin to add the second drive (dev1) to the boot menu ... :) ...I think i'm missing something

help :)

M.

//// SOLVED !!! EVERYTHING WORKS FINE NOW (I have upgraded my mobo bios so now I can change the boot order of sata drives and everything works as it should - i used vista's bootloader and the chain0 file from the iDeneb installation DVD ... works outstanding - it's also nice to turn on the SilentBoot in Boot.plist file so Mac OSX boots right after selecting it from the vista bootloader... )

CHEERS!

IainStott

What did you do to format the partition as a mac? sorry for the question i can't do this with disk utill.

Used Disk Utill and the partition tab to split the drive into 3 fat32 volumes, then used win 7's partitoning editor to format the 1st to ntfs, then when installing leopard, used the erase tab of disk util to format the 2nd partition to HFS+ Journaled

The way I did it is as follows:

* 2 Hard Drives

* Install OS X (I used iATKOS 5i) on the *first* drive (in BIOS). Switch to native kernel, set up EFI strings, etc if you normally do this. You want to be using the GUID (I think it's called) partition scheme on Drive 1, NOT MBR!!

* Verify everything is working

* Disconnect Drive 1 SATA from motherboard (or HD, just break the link)

* Install Vista on Drive 2, use NTFS.

* Patch, install service packs, etc.

* Plug drive 1 back in

When I boot my box, I just hit F12 to select the second drive in the BIOS boot menu. A normal boot boots OS X. I used Apple Retail CDs for OS X to install some of the boot camp drivers (for my apple keyboard, etc) -- and VMWare Fusion sees it as a "boot camp" partition and lets me boot it.

Good luck!

I have two hard drives. One of them has Vista on it, the other one has OS X. I usually swithed the hard drive boot order, allowing me to enter either one or the other OS.

But the I found out about EasyBCD. It's incredibly simple to use; just add a new entry for Generic OSX86. After that you can just use the Vista bootloader to choose the OS you want to start. It's simple and elegant, without the need for any additional bootloaders :).

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 HD's , both WesternDigital , 1=80gb , 2=500gb

1: 80gb

Mac OS X Retail 10.5.6 Booting With Chameleon_For_HD.

2 Partitions : install & retail (1 for installing Mac and Second is Installed Mac)

2: 500gb

Win 7 Beta , Booting from C:

Win XP SP3 , Booting from E:

And Apps Partition with Just Apps :D

I tried Chain0, tboot and EasyBCD 2.0 Beta , None of the solutions r working for me, what should i try to get it to dual boot or triple boot , whatever u call it ;)

Forgot to mention, I assume why i can't dual boot is because My 1st HardDrive is Formatted as GUID , not MBR, I see many ppl with GUID having problems with dual-triple booting.

• 2 weeks later...

Is There anything like this kind of loader yet??

This would be perfect for my wife's Wind running Win XP and soon to be OS X.

Thank you,

Jon

Hello,

XOSL looks interesting.

But what I'm really looking for in a BootLoader is this:

WinMacBoot101.jpg

A Simple Black Screen with Two Icons of my choice ...

I choose either Windows or Mac at Boot, 'Clicking' or 'Pressing Enter' - method doesn't matter to me.

What can do this?

Who can do this?

What do I gotta do, .. or who do I gotta do, to get this done?

This program looks promising:

screen2.png

But I can't get it to work. I'm not a MAC person, or a Linux person. I know DOS and Windows only.

Can anyone tell me what this is?:

trumors_image010.jpg

Is this the Apple 'BootCamp' Bootloader?

If so, then once I get it running, how do I tell it to always load this OS selection screen at boot?

Thank you so much in advance for Any and All advice.

Later,

josh.

Hi,

I have three hard drives; Drive 0 is my boot drive for XP with only one partition. Drive 1 has my Chameleon OSX86, I partitioned this drive using Disk Utility into 2 partitions. The first partition has 200 MB EFI placed there by MAC the second parition has OXS86. The third drive has some Windows stuff.

I put chain0 in boot.ini on the C drive. I have both the Vista bootlaoder and XP bootloader on my system. Both bootloaders recognize the "OSX 86" placed in boot.ini after chain0. But neither bootloader will boot the OSX86. Also when I put the install DVD in and boot from the DVD it does not recognized the hard drive partition of OSX. It will only boot from the DVD. Anyone have any ideas what is going wrong?

Thanks.