The Official Dual Booting Thread

Swad

549 posts in this topic

3) For a bootloader you can use the windows bootloader by copying chain0 to c: & editing boot.ini, or you can use the darwin bootloader, pressing f8 at startup to chose os, you can use a linux (e.g. lilo or grub) bootloader & add your osx86 install to the config file, or finally, a 3rd party bootloader of your choice.

Does it make a difference which one you use???

Hello all! Ok, perhaps this doesn't belong here, but I'll get yelled at if it doesn't, and I'm willing to accept that. I've searched the forums and scoured google, but nothing comes up.

I had Ubuntu 8 installed on the hdd that I just installed Kalyway on. I uninstalled Ubuntu about a month ago, but when I boot to the OSX hdd, it still gives me the GRUB loader, and it halts at error 17. All the fixes I've found talk about fixing GRUB from inside Ubuntu!

Any ideas how to remove GRUB and get OSX booting?

Thanks in advance!

try this out

here are the links to uninstall grub

link

link

I think I may have found one. I just need to check to make sure the "active" flag is removed from that specific hdd. I'm almost sure it is...but the last place you look for something is always the place you find it, right? Thanks for the links. I had also found these forums, but I suppose in my 'puter-maddened haze I overlooked them.

I'm re-installing Kaly right now, so I'll have to give it a go after.

hi i lost my logon info from my old acct when 10.4.3 was out.. so i had to make new one. anywaay

i had success with my old intel d820 & 945p board in the past but i have problems with 10.5.2 workin...

my new c2duo 1.8 & dg965wh, 2gb ram & xfx 9600gtxxx. problem i have is i gotten the kalaway dvd to boot off my ide dvdrw drive and i have osx installed on my seperate sata drive but when i select osx i get chain booting error...

i have 3 drives total.. sata0 [ 500gb ]is my wintel_xp_sp3, sata1 [ 160gb ] is my storage drive & sata2 [ 80gb ]is my osx drive. i tried to set osx sata2 as primary drive but it fails to boot. even if that drive is only thing plugged in it failed to boot... so i dont know if im doing somthin wrong or what

I NEED HELP GUYS! i have EASY BCD installed, and I have it set to Vista on the first partition and osx on the second partition....

when I hit osx, I go to the darwin boot loader after that and I have to go down and hit enter, THEN osx loads.

is there any way to dual boot with just ONE bootloader?

it's REALY ANNOYING!!!

modify your com.Boot.apple.plist file using terminal in OSX.

Messing with the boot options

Tired of typing '-x "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@85" platform=ACPI or platform=X86PC' every time you boot? This is for you!

NOTE: It is best to test out your commands before editing the Boot file. By testing, we mean typing your command during boot (Darwin). If it works, then proceed. Why? Because your changes to the boot file is used EVERY time you boot into Mac OS. Typing out the commands during the boot only affects the OS during that current boot. Rebooting clears it.

Browse to

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

and open it up in your text editor- You can add some switches in here to make your life a little bit sweeter...

HINT: If you are having difficulty saving changes to com.apple.Boot.plist; Open Terminal and type

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

just copy and paste the text) and press enter. Use the arrow keys to move the cursor. Ctrl+O to save (and then press Enter to save) and Ctrl+X to close.

TIP: If you've installed the Developer Tools (free for download with an Apple Developer Connection membership, or on a Mac OS X DVD), you'll get the program Property List Editor, which will make editing .plist files a tad easier. To run it as root, type in sudo open /Developer/Applications/Utilities/Property\ List\ Editor.app path-to-a-plist-file, or sudo open path-to-a-plist-file if .plist files are already associated with Property List Editor. As of version 2.1, this is a Universal application.

To automatically use a certain graphics mode

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32@85</string>

Note: If your video card is using VESA 2.0 drivers, leave out the '@85' part as it only works on VESA 3.0 will cause the system to reset before getting anywhere.

If you need to specify a platform

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>platform=X86PC</string> or <string>platform=ACPI</string>

If you experience stutter like (shutter) syndrome; usualy on dual core processors

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>idlehalt=0</string> or disable one core <string>cpus=1</string>

If you don't want to see the Darwin text on boot - HINT: You can get the prompt back by holding "ctrl" at boot.

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>Yes</string>

If you want to show the Logo with spinning Boot Graphics

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

To put in switches (-v, -x, -s, etc)

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

Speed up Darwin's timeout count-down

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>8</string>

Replace 8 (default seconds) to a new value.

To set Darwin to boot from a particular partition:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>rd=diskXsY</string>

Where X is your hard drive number and Y is the partition number (BSD naming scheme)

if you are unsure about the rd value open Aplications>Utilities>Disk Utiliy, click on the partition with OSX installed and click on info, the right "rd" value is the value from "Disk Identifier"

EDIT: I've tested this a few times, doesn't seem to want to work for me. Anyone got any ideas? T

This page has some info: http://neonkoala.co.uk/content/view/33/34 work fine for me, I use <string>rd=disk1s3</string> to boot from the 3rd primary partition of my second disk. NOTE: The kernel flags option has made some computers unbootable. </br> Type "-F mach_kernel -v" at the boot prompt if your computer fails to boot after messing around with this.

NOTE 2: **ONLY IF YOU HAVE PARTITIONMAGIC** In the event you are not provided with a boot prompt, just boot to Windows normally. In command prompt, use diskpart to set the second partition active. This will boot the computer directly to OS X 86. Once booted, delete the changes made to the com.apple.Boot.plist file, save, and reboot. Use PartitionMagic( There may be another way?) to boot the computer, then reset the Windows partition back to active. Reboot again and you're back to your OS Selection menu.

Here is an example /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-legacy</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280×1024×32</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Hello,

I am pretty new to this OSX86 stuff. I installed the Kalyway Leopard 10.5.2 disc without any problems. On one HDD (my main one) I have XP Pro, and on the second one I have the Kalyway Leopard. If I make the second HDD as the main one, it boots up and works without any problems. However, I want XP to be my main OS, but I don't want to switch HDD's all of the time. I got the menu to display all of the correct things, but I'm still having two problems:

1. The menu can only be operated with my PS/2 keyboard (the two USB keyboards I tried out don't work on the menu, but always work within Mac/PC).

2. I've tried both chain0/tboot, and whenever I use them I either get chain error or HFS partition not detected.

What do I do to fix this?

Thanks for any help!

hello. i am new to the theme dual booting, so i had a couple of questions. i want to dual boot windows xp sp3 and kalyway leopard 10.5.3. windows is on a 320gb-sata2-drive. leopard is installed on another 500gb-sata2-drive. i read about chain0, tried it out, but as i wanted to start leopard, i got the message: "file hal.dll is missing or corrupt". i tried downloading hal.dll from the internet but that made things even worse. there must be something i did wrong, but i don't know how to fix it. or if there is another opportunity to dual boot those operating systems, please let me know. would appreciate your help very much.

bence

Is there any way to format a partition to AF from within Vista?

For some reason, Ubuntu will no longer boot for me from the disc. Or does anyone know of a small distro that contains fdisk which can be launched from a USB drive?

I don't want to have to download a whole linux distro just for fdisk if possible.

Hi,

I must say this is all getting me down, I've been looking for the past 5 days now on how to dual boot OS X with no success!

Quick Summary-

Windows Vista boot loader with Chain0 failed - "Chain0 booting error"

Ubuntu Grub boot loader failed - "Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format"

System-

Acer TravelMate 4200 Laptop

1GB Ram

80Gb Hard Drive

History-

So far I can install OS X without any dramas, Installs, boots, works well.

Ive currently been running XP and before that Vista so there no problems with compatibility with operating systems.

First I tried simple dual booting Vista and OS X,

I split my hard drive into 2 partitions

I installed OS X, got it working, then installed Vista onto second partition.

Once Vista is installed I can no longer boot to OS X.

I've used Acronis Disc Director to change the active partition between the 2 partitions and I can boot to either operating system.

Ive been going over dozens of forums and added the boot entire into the bcdedit of vista to get it working with the chain0 and this has failed with a "chain0 booting error"

After a little more reading I saw people are having success with GRUB boot loader.

(back to the drawing board)

I downloaded the latest version of Ubuntu and started again

I started with a Vista install and partitioned my hard drive into 4

[Vista-20gb][OS X-20gb][XP-20gb][ubuntu-remaining 9gb]

After installing vista I installed OS X and as before lost the ability to boot into Vista.

I then installed Ubuntu and got that working, it found the windows install and added it to my grub boot loader, success, can now boot to vista or Ubuntu.

I then tried adding in the OS X entry into the GRUB boot loader and nothing but failure.

Ive tried multiple different ways but still cant work this out.

I could list all the guides I've gone though but best someone just tell me the way to works.

I need at least Xp, Vista, OS X, (linux optional)

Can someone please help me

I just re-installed Leopard on my main rig, this time using one of the retail install guides (so I have a guid based drive with multiple partitions, 2 are for osx)

I am getting the chain booting error now :)

Tried everything I could think of and everything I have found from scouring the net.....nadda....I am wondering if its an issue with chain0 and passing control to a GUID partition?

If I boot from the boot-132 cd and choose my "MacLoader" partition, everything works great. Do we need to substitute chain0 with boot.efi when booting to a retail install?

UPDATE

Tried the boot.efi option and it seems to think its booting windows and failing (guessing its passing control to the hidden EFI partition that Vista created and then failing as the system has no EFI)

Now down to looking at partition allignment......seems partitions need to start at sector 1 with "Relative Sectors" and "Number of Sectors" being multiples of 63....

Oh the joy :S

Hi,

I must say this is all getting me down, I've been looking for the past 5 days now on how to dual boot OS X with no success!

Quick Summary-

Windows Vista boot loader with Chain0 failed - "Chain0 booting error"

Ubuntu Grub boot loader failed - "Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format"

System-

Acer TravelMate 4200 Laptop

1GB Ram

80Gb Hard Drive

History-

So far I can install OS X without any dramas, Installs, boots, works well.

Ive currently been running XP and before that Vista so there no problems with compatibility with operating systems.

First I tried simple dual booting Vista and OS X,

I split my hard drive into 2 partitions

I installed OS X, got it working, then installed Vista onto second partition.

Once Vista is installed I can no longer boot to OS X.

I've used Acronis Disc Director to change the active partition between the 2 partitions and I can boot to either operating system.

Ive been going over dozens of forums and added the boot entire into the bcdedit of vista to get it working with the chain0 and this has failed with a "chain0 booting error"

After a little more reading I saw people are having success with GRUB boot loader.

(back to the drawing board)

I downloaded the latest version of Ubuntu and started again

I started with a Vista install and partitioned my hard drive into 4

[Vista-20gb][OS X-20gb][XP-20gb][ubuntu-remaining 9gb]

After installing vista I installed OS X and as before lost the ability to boot into Vista.

I then installed Ubuntu and got that working, it found the windows install and added it to my grub boot loader, success, can now boot to vista or Ubuntu.

I then tried adding in the OS X entry into the GRUB boot loader and nothing but failure.

Ive tried multiple different ways but still cant work this out.

I could list all the guides I've gone though but best someone just tell me the way to works.

I need at least Xp, Vista, OS X, (linux optional)

Can someone please help me

hey man . i'm ganna tell u the way i did it . it might help u out . and maybe u've seen this before and didn't help u . i'm just ganna put the time and type the way i did it.

i have HP pavillion dv2700 . i bought it with the vista installed allready . so i went on and installed kalyway . that didnt' work . so i ended up being forced to erase the whole HD.

i have a 250GB HD . and this is what i did.

1.. Iput the kalyway 10.5.2 . in the CD-rom . and restarted . and i pressed any key after the disk loaded .and it loaded the osx live disk. ok so far everything is fine . Next i went to Utility Disk . and erased the whole HD . So i so i formated the HD from OSX disk.

2.. I than clicked one the disk on the right and click on partition . there i made 2 partitions . and both i put the as FTA. so i chosed 50 GB for OS X and the rest for Vista . partition 1 was 50GB for OSX and partition 2 is for vista. than closed disk utility and restart . so i did not installe OS X yet.

3.. I put Vista disk in . and it loaded . than i selected the partition which i left for vista . than i formated it . and installed vista. NOTE: if it is not able to install vista , than you may need to active the vista partition , and when active one partition the other one will be deactivated.

4.. after vista install went successful. i put vista disk again . and it loaded. than i clicked repair . from repair options i clicked on CMD . i assume u know what CMD is . it's the comand prompet. the black window where u type codes. and typed: select fdisk 0 , select partition 1, active, exit. and than i restarted. and put the mac disk.

5.. OSX kalyway 10.5.2 loaded. and i opened Disk Utility. there on the right side i clicked on the first partition which is for mac. and than from the menu i choosed Mac OS Extanded (jourenal). and put a choosed a name . and erased. than closed Disk Utility and clicked continue to install .

before installation begins i clicked costumize. and choosed whatever i needed from there . careful not to choose things that will give u kernel panic. NOTE: what's good about kalyway 10.5.2 is that it'll installe the MBR grub for u with out any problem.

6.. after successful installation , and restart. before restart take disk out (optional) . set up account . and after successful log in . click apple sign and restart :D .

Note: when u restart you'll see count down in the grub . hit any key and check if you see the vista partition in the Darwin boot loader. if you see it your fine.

now how to get both working.

1..put vista disk in . and let it load . go to repair and click on CMD and type . seled fdisk 0, select partition 2, active , exit. and restart .

2.. put OS X disk in and before countdown finishs hit any key . and type -S , this is called single user mode. it'll load fast. once ur able to type . Type this :

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk

flag 2

write

update

quit

reboot

put vista disk in . and let it load . hit repair . and let it repair vista. and restart . log in vista . and restart.

3.. finally put OS X in and hit any key before countdown finishs. type -S again.

type this .

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk

flag 1

quit

reboot

take the disk out before it loads the disk . Now you see the the Darwin bootloader loads with out the help of disk or anything . and it'll start countdown . and u will hit any key . and you'll see the 2 partition. choose vista . and it should work . log in restart. and choose mac it should also work.

good luck . and sorry if the instruction is confusing it typed it very fast. :(

hey man . i'm ganna tell u the way i did it . it might help u out . and maybe u've seen this before and didn't help u . i'm just ganna put the time and type the way i did it.

i have HP pavillion dv2700 . i bought it with the vista installed allready . so i went on and installed kalyway . that didnt' work . so i ended up being forced to erase the whole HD.

i have a 250GB HD . and this is what i did.

1.. Iput the kalyway 10.5.2 . in the CD-rom . and restarted . and i pressed any key after the disk loaded .and it loaded the osx live disk. ok so far everything is fine . Next i went to Utility Disk . and erased the whole HD . So i so i formated the HD from OSX disk.

2.. I than clicked one the disk on the right and click on partition . there i made 2 partitions . and both i put the as FTA. so i chosed 50 GB for OS X and the rest for Vista . partition 1 was 50GB for OSX and partition 2 is for vista. than closed disk utility and restart . so i did not installe OS X yet.

3.. I put Vista disk in . and it loaded . than i selected the partition which i left for vista . than i formated it . and installed vista. NOTE: if it is not able to install vista , than you may need to active the vista partition , and when active one partition the other one will be deactivated.

4.. after vista install went successful. i put vista disk again . and it loaded. than i clicked repair . from repair options i clicked on CMD . i assume u know what CMD is . it's the comand prompet. the black window where u type codes. and typed: select fdisk 0 , select partition 1, active, exit. and than i restarted. and put the mac disk.

5.. OSX kalyway 10.5.2 loaded. and i opened Disk Utility. there on the right side i clicked on the first partition which is for mac. and than from the menu i choosed Mac OS Extanded (jourenal). and put a choosed a name . and erased. than closed Disk Utility and clicked continue to install .

before installation begins i clicked costumize. and choosed whatever i needed from there . careful not to choose things that will give u kernel panic. NOTE: what's good about kalyway 10.5.2 is that it'll installe the MBR grub for u with out any problem.

6.. after successful installation , and restart. before restart take disk out (optional) . set up account . and after successful log in . click apple sign and restart :) .

Note: when u restart you'll see count down in the grub . hit any key and check if you see the vista partition in the Darwin boot loader. if you see it your fine.

now how to get both working.

1..put vista disk in . and let it load . go to repair and click on CMD and type . seled fdisk 0, select partition 2, active , exit. and restart .

2.. put OS X disk in and before countdown finishs hit any key . and type -S , this is called single user mode. it'll load fast. once ur able to type . Type this :

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk

flag 2

write

update

quit

reboot

put vista disk in . and let it load . hit repair . and let it repair vista. and restart . log in vista . and restart.

3.. finally put OS X in and hit any key before countdown finishs. type -S again.

type this .

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk

flag 1

quit

reboot

take the disk out before it loads the disk . Now you see the the Darwin bootloader loads with out the help of disk or anything . and it'll start countdown . and u will hit any key . and you'll see the 2 partition. choose vista . and it should work . log in restart. and choose mac it should also work.

good luck . and sorry if the instruction is confusing it typed it very fast

does this work the same for winxp?

---------

Update : this method didn't work for me neither with vista or xp.

I did the Chain0 method. Works great. I have XP on my 1st IDE HD, and OSX on my 2nd IDE HD (slave, both drives are on single IDE channel). I then downloaded the Chain0 file, added the C:\chain0="Mac OSX" to my boot.ini (the rest was untouched). I can now easily boot between XP and OSx without having to use my BIOS bootloader which was cumbersome.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

I have a HP Pavillion DV9630et laptop with two 250GB Samsung HDDs.

WinXp Sp3 is installed on the first HDD.

I have booted with Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD and used "Disk Utility" to creat 2 partitions on my second HDD. 50GB for mac (hfs+) and the rest for storage (fat).

The result is:

WinXp: disk0s1

HP_RECOVERY: disk0s2

MAC: disk1s2

STORAGE: disk1s3

chain0 file is on disk0s1. Boot.ini is edited as it has to be.

When booting computer WinXp Bootloader gives me the option for both WinXp and Mac Os X.

But Mac Os X option gives me the "chain booting error".

What may be the problem, guys?

so,

adding to issues...

i have recently installed iatkos v4i 10.5.4 on partition2 of my 3 partition HD with:

no Darwin

9.4 kernal

AppleACPIPlat.ktext

SATA

as this seems to be the only config that will work on my POS compaq c500

i then installed vista on my partition1

i also have a partition3 that i used as a place to put my Darwin bootloader.. it is the primary booting partition.

meanwhile... i have a storage drive as partition0

Recap:

part0=storage (31.7G)

part1=vista (30 G)

part2=OSX(31.7G)

part3=boot (180M)

OSX boots fine... however, Vista gives me missing file errors...

how can i make it work without having to re-install OSX?

OR... Is there an open source program i can use in OSX where can I write and test C# apps? (besides the pain in the ass monodevelop)

I had HFS+ Error and I did the thing with fdisk e-/dev/rdisk0 and all and after that when I have to repair Vista I cant :/ Sometimes I just cant load hardrives at all and when I can it cannot find any errors and it fixes nothing... What to do? :/

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I've been trying to install and run Kalyway 10.5.2 for months now without success. Installation goes fine but when I try to log in, it just hangs at the gray boot screen. I typed -v to see where it was hanging up. Here is where it freezes:

mac framework successfully initialized

using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

Does anyone know why its freezing here and how to fix it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Here's my specs if that helps:

Acer TravelMate 4674WLMi -

Core Duo T2500 / 2 GHz - Centrino Duo

2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

120 GB SATA HDD

DVD-RW (+R DL) / DVD-RAM -

Mobility Radeon X1600 128MB, 512MB/shared

- Gigabit Ethernet - WLAN : 802.11a/b/g

56k Modem

5 in 1 Card Reader

15.4" Widescreen TFT 1280 x 800 ( WXGA )

Hey guys.

I installed iDeben Leopard 10.5.5 on my Lenovo Thinkpad R61 yesterday, and very easily managed to dual boot it. I essentially followed this guide.

The only modification I made to the guide is that, instead of using Ubuntu's partitioner, I used INSERT, and, after installing OS X, I had to go back and change the boot flags to favour the windows partition rather than the OS X.

Anyway, it seems to be working quite well so far, apart from some hardware issues. Many thanks to whoever anonymously posted up that guide :)

HD0: Vista and XP

HD1: OSX (ideneb 1.3 10.5.5)

(ASUS p5Q3 / all working in AHCI mode)

chain0 method is working, but I use XOSL bootloader on HD0 too.

http://www.ranish.com/part/xosl.htm

You have to select the MBR0 part of the second harddisk (HD1) in the bootloader prefs - and it works very well.

post-253033-1226270175_thumb.jpg

I installed the boot manager only, no partition tools. The only downside - you need at last one partition with fat or fat32 on HD0.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

XOSL looks interesting.

But what I'm really looking for in a BootLoader is this:

WinMacBoot101.jpg

A Simple Black Screen with Two Icons of my choice ...

I choose either Windows or Mac at Boot, 'Clicking' or 'Pressing Enter' - method doesn't matter to me.

What can do this?

Who can do this?

What do I gotta do, .. or who do I gotta do, to get this done?

This program looks promising:

screen2.png

But I can't get it to work. I'm not a MAC person, or a Linux person. I know DOS and Windows only.

Can anyone tell me what this is?:

trumors_image010.jpg

Is this the Apple 'BootCamp' Bootloader?

If so, then once I get it running, how do I tell it to always load this OS selection screen at boot?

Thank you so much in advance for Any and All advice.

Later,

josh.