The Official Dual Booting Thread

Swad

549 posts in this topic

Hey,

I installed XP and OSX in same drive. Set XP as the active partinion and copied chain0 to C: After that when I select XP in boot.ini loader it works fine. But when i select OSX, it opens the darwin bootloader and darwin asks again for which drive to boot. Active one is XP so when i disable the darwin prompt it tries to boot XP and it goes to a endless cycle. I dont want darwin to ask me to choose. I want darwin to boot to osx automatically. How can i do it? thanx

I have dual booting Windows 7/Mac OS X with Windows on internal drive and OSX on external. I use Chameleon 2 installed to the external drive. Chameleon 2 is great because it detects the partitions on both of the discs, although it would be better if you could hide some of them.

• 3 weeks later...

I have got a 250GB Seagate S-ATA HDD.

Now I install Windows 7 on a 175 GB Partition and after that Mac on a 75 GB Partition.

After this the PC boots into Mac and I only have to install Charmeleon 2.0?

Is it that easy?

hi...

i have a "quad-boot"System with Vista, XP, Ubuntu and iDeneb 10.5.4.

As bootloader i use GRUB. Its perfekt, but when i start OSX in GRUB it starts the bootloader of OSX. Good.

But the thing is in the OSX bootloader there is also a entry for windows. how do i delete them?

• 2 weeks later...

Lets see, with WinXP installed first I installed OSX on the second partition of another drive, and when I would boot to that drive originally, it would result in a boot0: error. Then I used chain0 to add the OSX bootloader to the XP bootloader because no other bootloader worked.

I mean, I can dualboot OSX fine with the XP bootloader, but why dont the others ( ie Chameleon, EFI, etc ) work.. Could someone direct me in the right way?

Motherboard is A8N-SLi and chipset drivers installed indicate the mobo as being an A8N-E in OSX.

• 2 weeks later...

This is how I got Chameleon working on my machine using two separate hard drives, one for Vista 64 Home Premium Edition and the other for retail Leopard 10.5.6.

First I opened up the computer and disconnected the Vista drive's sata cable from the motherboard.

I then installed Leopard on its hard drive first (remember I'm using two separate drives in my install) using a retail version of Leopard.

I then installed updates to 10.5.7 and finished the install there. I then shutdown.

I then reversed the process, I disconnected the OSX drive from the motherboard and re-connected the Vista drive and then installed Vista. I installed a few programs then shut down the computer. I then ensured that both drives were connected to the motherboard.

I then restarted the computer, entered BIOS and then selected the hard drive boot order, OSX being the priority drive to boot. I exited BIOS and I then booted up the PC again, this time I pressed F12 to select the hard drive to boot from (at this stage I was completly unaware of what to expect from Chameleon and how it worked). I selected the OSX drive, booted into Leopard, installed Chameleon 2 RC2 and restarted the machine.

Voila! I was pleasantly greeted with the Chameleon screen with the OSX logo and a countdown icon. Press any key and it gives you then two options, Windows and OSX, choose which one you want then hit enter.

Both OSX and Vista boot no probs.

Thats how I got it working, don't know how but it worked for me.

UD3P motherboard.

Hi,

I have sort of followed what the poster above me (keeza) has done, but not exactly in that order.

I have a fully functioning OS X install with Chameleon RC2 installed. This is on a single partition, first sata drive. When I try to boot into Windows 7 which is on my second drive (again, single partition), it quickly blue screens and restarts.

There are another 2 drives connected, one ntfs and one macos, but neither of these hold operating systems and are not bootable.

Why would my system bluescreen when I use a similar setup to keeza ?

Hi,

here's my problem :

i have osX 10.5.6 fully runing on my x61s on a single hard drive.

i bought a new hard and bigger hard drive ; partitionned it like this :

1 - empty part - 70g

2 - xp part - ntfs - 50g

3 - data part - ntfs - 300 go

i'd REALLY like to be able to copy my working and tweaked instal of osX from my old HD to my new HD.... do you now how i can do that? the trick is i can't access both drive on the same time (both are sata and i don't have any sata usb caddy).

i have a usb hard drive that i can use for transfer ; i'm currently doing a full time machine of my osX install on this usb drive, maybe can i simply use this save to restore osX on my new HD when booted from osX install CD?

any help appreciated!

thanks

Hi,

here's my problem :

i have osX 10.5.6 fully runing on my x61s on a single hard drive.

i bought a new hard and bigger hard drive ; partitionned it like this :

1 - empty part - 70g

2 - xp part - ntfs - 50g

3 - data part - ntfs - 300 go

i'd REALLY like to be able to copy my working and tweaked instal of osX from my old HD to my new HD.... do you now how i can do that? the trick is i can't access both drive on the same time (both are sata and i don't have any sata usb caddy).

i have a usb hard drive that i can use for transfer ; i'm currently doing a full time machine of my osX install on this usb drive, maybe can i simply use this save to restore osX on my new HD when booted from osX install CD?

any help appreciated!

thanks

Hi

need some more information about your system:

• is your mac os x leopard hackintosh (ideneb, kalyway, XxX ect.) or retail installation?
  • in case of retail, do you have a boot132 disc?
  • in case of hackintosh, do you boot up with Chameleon? Is chameleon installed on your os x partition or on a separate small partition?
  • Is your first (small) original disc partitioned in GUID of MBR? If you have a windows on that same disc, it's MBR. In case you don't know, go to disc utility -> single click on the name of your small hard disc, so not on the partition name but the complete disc (for me e.g. the name is "698,6 GB SAMSUNG HD753LJ Media") and look at the bottom of your screen if it displays GUID of MBR.
  • Can you see/access your new drive and its partitions when you're working in MAC OS X?

With this information we might be able to help you out.

Gtz

Thanks a lot, here's the answers :

• is your mac os x leopard hackintosh (ideneb, kalyway, XxX ect.) or retail installation?

ideneb 10.5.6

• in case of retail, do you have a boot132 disc?
  • in case of hackintosh, do you boot up with Chameleon? Is chameleon installed on your os x partition or on a separate small partition?

i think i have chameleon RC2.0 (last version) installed on osX partition

• Is your first (small) original disc partitioned in GUID of MBR? If you have a windows on that same disc, it's MBR. In case you don't know, go to disc utility -> single click on the name of your small hard disc, so not on the partition name but the complete disc (for me e.g. the name is "698,6 GB SAMSUNG HD753LJ Media") and look at the bottom of your screen if it displays GUID of MBR.

it must be GUID (only osX on this drive)

• Can you see/access your new drive and its partitions when you're working in MAC OS X?

no because i only have one SATA port in my laptop and don't have any usb SATA caddy right now...

i do have another usb hard drive for the transfer.

also have to mention that on the new hard drive XP is already installed on the second partition

any help?

Ok, well, I'm trying to help you out, if it doesn 't work, don't shoot me. Anyway, you won't destroy anything when doing what I'm going to write here down, in worst case everything stays like it was before. Make sure you really have the latest chameleon installed, which is chameleon 2.0 RC2 r640

!!! 1 thing I don't know, and you should to be sure of before beginning: I don't know how XP repair CD works in case things go wrong, so to make your XP partition back active. Before you start, make sure you have a XP disk and know the commands to make XP partition active. But I guess you have XP CD because you installed it recently on your new HD.

When I installed OS X and everything, I messed up a lot, but was always able to repair things because I had the Vista repair disk and OS X install DVD to be able to go to DOS and Terminal to repair things...

So what you need is:

• Your iDeneb DVD (so burned on a DVD DL to be able to boot with, guess you have that already?)
  • your most recent Time machine backup on external USB hard disk

I don't know how much experience you have with these things, so don't feel offended if I explain it like explaining something to a complete newbie; it's better to explain it clear rather than skipping steps so you get stuck from the beginning.

1. disconnect USB drive, connect your new hard drive and boot in XP, delete your current empty partition in disk management, simply right mouse button and 'erase' partition'.

2. create a compatible partition (FAT32) by applying:

• go to run-> cmd, and type following commands in DOS:
  • diskpart
  • list disk
  • select disk X (with X number of your disk, I suppose 0)
  • create partition primary size=Y id=af (with Y = size in MB which of course cannot be more than the free space you have on the disk after deleting your free partition just done before)

3. keep your new HD connected en reboot with you iDeneb DVD inserted. Boot from the DVD.

4. go to disk utility, select the partition you just made (and where new Mac OS X will come), select 'MAC OS X Journaled extended', give it the name you want (I wouldn't use spaces in the name, just to be sure, so use underscores instead) and click 'erase'. Shut system down.

5. connect external USB Time machine drive and reboot with still DVD inserted and still new disk connected.

6. Go to utilities and to 'put back system', something like that, the button to restore your system from Time Machine. At this point I'm not exactly sure, but you normally should be able to select Time Machine external USB as 'source' and your new created partition as 'destination'. Let it restore.

7.After this is done you can try to reboot with DVD NOT inserted anymore. It could work but think you'll get the error: "chain booting error" at startup. Use this post I made, and follow the steps in chapter 1 under the category "In case you DO HAVE a newer osx86 dvd installation disk WITH chameleon bootloader-----"

After you did the codes in terminal also follow the guide under the code about making the partition (your new OS X partition) active when you have chameleon 2.0 installed.

That should be it. Normally, chameleon 2.0 scans the disks and partitions at startup, so also with the new situation he should do that. Your system didn't change so that isn't a problem either (concerning kexts chameleon uses) and you have only 1 SATA disk, so this again should be disk 0, number which is automatically given by BIOS. So good luck with it, let me know if it worked. If not, still have an alternative, using Superduper which can create a bootable OS X clone, so even booable on e.g. a Firewire or USB hard disc or a new hard disc.

In case it doesn't work: your new disk won't boot XP anymore, but i guess you have a repair disk for that, for simply putting your XP partition back to active? In my guide I linked before, i explain how to do that for Vista, to be honest, I'm not using XP anymore for several years, so I don't know what XP has as repair/boot up disk so you are able to go to DOS to write down the commands you also find in my little guide.

gtz

thanks a lot for this winderful reply;

i tried but the instal process got stuck at time machine restore ; maybe something wrong with the usb support...

so i chose to reinstall all from scratch, painfull but working!

thanks again anyway

thanks a lot for this winderful reply;

i tried but the instal process got stuck at time machine restore ; maybe something wrong with the usb support...

so i chose to reinstall all from scratch, painfull but working!

thanks again anyway

Ok, sorry it didn 't work. Good to know which part didn't succeed, my knowledge grows every day a little more :) . But as I wrote, that was the 'tricky' part, the part I wasn't sure of, the other steps I do was sure of. But yes, it's part of the game. I reinstalled OS X more than 10 times (6-7 times iDeneb) and couple of times retail. Now everything works flawless except for sleep and shut down, and it 's rock solid. But a reinstall only takes 30 min; I only start installing all the porgrams when I'm completely sure the basic system everything works. Now with snow leopard, it will all start over again -_- . Have to buy a new (my 5th already) hard disk (50€) so my current system isn't destroyed, and trying to install SL on it.

Anyway, I suggest to everyone who starts with hackintosh to search first if a retail install isn't possible. Will be much more stable if everything works and you'll be able to do all the updates without worries. Of course with a laptop things get more complicated, so iDeneb could be only solution than...

BTW; what you also can try is; just install your ideneb 1.4 on your new disk (nothing more, even not kexts) and try again what I explained with time machine restore. There might be a chance that OS X is recognized and a restore is permitted now when you boot with DVD. What Time Machine does when restoring system, is simply quick erasing current partition (your fresh installed ideneb) and copy completely the system you have on Time machine external USB hard disc. This way you don't have to reinstall all your settings.

If it wouldn't work, well, you lost half an hour or so and can start with a clean install again. Of course, when you start with your new system (after the movie of 'welcome') OS X asks if you want to migrate data from existing OS X: you can select Time Machine backup for that. This way, all your music, movies, mails, settings etc are kept, and all you still need to do is install your programs again (guess like adobe CS 4, office for mac etc)

gtz

Hi,

I have sort of followed what the poster above me (keeza) has done, but not exactly in that order.

I have a fully functioning OS X install with Chameleon RC2 installed. This is on a single partition, first sata drive. When I try to boot into Windows 7 which is on my second drive (again, single partition), it quickly blue screens and restarts.

There are another 2 drives connected, one ntfs and one macos, but neither of these hold operating systems and are not bootable.

Why would my system bluescreen when I use a similar setup to keeza ?

I am having the same issue, have you come across a solution for this problem ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!!!

Well, I've been trying diferent guides and of course diferente try to hackintosh my Soni vaio Vgn Fw21M.

I know the problem with my graphic card, and I run Kalyway 10.5.2 without grafic drivers and it runs with low resolution, but its ok for me.

My real issue is the dual boot. My case si this, hope someone can dropme anu clue.

I install Vista on the first partition with 180gb and in a second one Kalyway with other 180gb. After Kaly installation it runs and finish the setup without problems.

When I come back to Vista (making its partition active) Vista needs reparation, Ok i gon on it. Vista Boots, but theres nothing about Kaly. Then I go back to Kaly (making its partition active) but it boots just with the dvd on the drive.

Why is this happening?

Anyway I've tried to dualboot with darwing. Once i did it And it was showing the 3 partitions in my Hard drive, This are the partitions:

1.Restore Info

2.Vista

3.Leo Kalyway

If I choose Leo it runs, but if I choose vista it gives an error in com.apple.plist, couldn't be found. I've tried to modify it, how some guides says, but same error.

I didn't try the dual boot with vista's bootloader because I cant find the chain0 file in the DVD neither in the Kaly drive. My Dvd just has 1 or 2 files (i don't remember) I tried seeing the hide file but, just the same.

So finally I came back to Vista, repaired it again and it runs. But how i said, vista goes straight.

My last idea is using a OS/Selector, I've been reading a little about and I think Grub would be my best option.

But I don't know if i can use it without any linux enviroment.

So please If anybody has any suggestion, don't hesitate!!!!

I'm getting crazyyyy!!! and maybe I give up....

Thank a lot!!!

Hi there!!!

Well, I've been trying diferent guides and of course diferente try to hackintosh my Soni vaio Vgn Fw21M.

I know the problem with my graphic card, and I run Kalyway 10.5.2 without grafic drivers and it runs with low resolution, but its ok for me.

My real issue is the dual boot. My case si this, hope someone can dropme anu clue.

I install Vista on the first partition with 180gb and in a second one Kalyway with other 180gb. After Kaly installation it runs and finish the setup without problems.

When I come back to Vista (making its partition active) Vista needs reparation, Ok i gon on it. Vista Boots, but theres nothing about Kaly. Then I go back to Kaly (making its partition active) but it boots just with the dvd on the drive.

Why is this happening?

Anyway I've tried to dualboot with darwing. Once i did it And it was showing the 3 partitions in my Hard drive, This are the partitions:

1.Restore Info

2.Vista

3.Leo Kalyway

If I choose Leo it runs, but if I choose vista it gives an error in com.apple.plist, couldn't be found. I've tried to modify it, how some guides says, but same error.

I didn't try the dual boot with vista's bootloader because I cant find the chain0 file in the DVD neither in the Kaly drive. My Dvd just has 1 or 2 files (i don't remember) I tried seeing the hide file but, just the same.

So finally I came back to Vista, repaired it again and it runs. But how i said, vista goes straight.

My last idea is using a OS/Selector, I've been reading a little about and I think Grub would be my best option.

But I don't know if i can use it without any linux enviroment.

So please If anybody has any suggestion, don't hesitate!!!!

I'm getting crazyyyy!!! and maybe I give up....

Thank a lot!!!

Chain0 file can be found anywhere, it's just a general boot0 file from Mac OS X Leopard. So search for 'download boot0 leopard', something like that.

For the detailed preocedure with boot0: follow step 2.2 of my guide

good luck with it. Let me know if it worked out.

Gtz

Chain0 file can be found anywhere, it's just a general boot0 file from Mac OS X Leopard. So search for 'download boot0 leopard', something like that.

For the detailed preocedure with boot0: follow step 2.2 of my guide

good luck with it. Let me know if it worked out.

Gtz

Thanks I'll try and tell you

XD

Triple booting iDeneb, Vista, Ubuntu

First grab iDeneb. Make the DVD.

Boot the DVD, load diskutility and format the hard drive with three partitions, one journaled and two free space

Reboot

Now boot the vista cd. Format the free space enough for your vista install, with enough left over for what you want to use for ubuntu. Finish install.

Reboot

Boot ubuntu CD, once you get to the partitioner do custom partition, set up a partition for ubuntu and another for swap space out of the left over freespace. Continue till you get to the last screen and select the advanced option. Hear make sure you install the boot loader to the ubuntu partion only, not the whole harddrive. Finish install.

Reboot

Boot iDeneb again and finish installing on its partition you assigned in the first step.

Reboot

Boot the ubuntu cd again, boot it into try before install option. Load gparted. Remove the boot flag from vista, and add a boot flag to the osx partition.

Reboot

Now you should get the chameleon 1.0 boot loader screen with all three systems showing up. Now just boot each of them how you like and enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Dual booting of Windows 7 and Snow Leopard from the same hard-drive is relatively easy to achieve. It took me a few hours of trial and error, though, to find the easy way.

First, use Chameleon and a USB stick to boot the Snow Leopard installer. This is described in detail in the Lifehacker[1] guide for example.

In the Snow Leopard installer partition your hard disk. Use a GUID partition table and create (at least) two partitions; the first one a FAT32 partition that will hold Windows 7 later, and the second one a Journaled HFS+ partition for Snow Leopard.

After installing Snow Leopard make sure that you can boot it from the hard-drive without the USB stick. The procedure to achieve this is described in the Lifehacker guide mentioned before. On my system, for example, I used the following commands. Your disk and volume names may vary. The three boot files, boot0, boot1h, and boot came from the Chameleon distribution.

sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s3

sudo cp boot "/Volumes/Hackintosh HD"

Next, make sure the USB stick isn't still plugged in and boot your system from the Windows 7 installer DVD. The installer should see the FAT32 partition created earlier and, after a conversion to NTFS, should allow you to install Windows 7 onto this partition.

After the Windows install, when your system reboots it will boot into the Windows bootloader, which will only show the just installed Windows 7. Don't panic. Back in Windows 7 download EasyBCD[2] and add the Snow Leopard partition to the Windows boot loader. You must use a tool like EasyBCD because beginning with Vista the Windows boot loader no longer uses an easy to access text file.

This should be it. More detail and background in my Hackintosh guide:

http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com/artikel/hackintosh/

Hope this helps.

[1] http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

[2] http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

If you're dual booting or triple booting OS X with Windows and/or Linux, let us know in this thread how you did it! Once the Intel Macs come out, a lot of people will be wanting to know how to dual boot OS X. For more Dual Boot guides, check out our wiki.

Share your experience here.

Sucessfully dual booted Vista & OS X86 10.4.11:

======================================

Using 1 internal harddrive, i partitioned into 2 (one for Vista and one for OS X)

Installed Vista on 2nd drive

Disabled UAC (User Account Control) before installing Mac OS X.

To do so, press WIN+R to open the Run prompt, type in MSCONFIG to open the System Configuration Utility, click on the Tools tab, scroll down and select 'Disable UAC' then press Launch.

Make sure you're on the desktop of your Windows installation.

Press WIN+R to open the Run prompt, then type DISKPART and press Enter.

Now we're going to use DISKPART to create a HFS+ compatible Mac partition that we can boot off.

Follow these next set of commands:

DISKPART> list disk

Will show you a list of selectable disks

DISKPART> select disk n

[where n = the disk number]

This will specify which disk to create a new partition on, assuming you have already used the XP Install Disc, Partition Magic or Windows Disk Management to set aside some unformatted space. If not, and the drive you want to install Mac OS X on is empty, just follow the instructions immediately below for creating a partition.

DISKPART> create partition primary size=n id=af

[where n = the size in MB of the partition, however if no size is specified then the remaining space of that drive is used]

[where af = hfs+ compatible]

Will proceed to create a bootable primary partition for the Mac

For example: create partition primary size=100000 id=af

This will create a 100GB partition for Mac OS X.

DISKPART> list partition

This will show you the partitions on your selected disk

DISKPART> select partition n

[where n = the newly created OSX partition]

This will specify the partition

DISKPART> active

Will make your OS X partition the first-boot active partition

DISKPART> Exit

Leaves DiskPart...

Put your bootable Mac OS X Tiger or Leopard Installation Disc into the DVD drive and restart your computer.

Make sure you press any key to boot off the DVD when it asks; the Darwin prompt should then appear and proceed to load the Mac OS X installation process.

Once it has finished loading and displays the first prompt after language select, click to the menu bar at the very top and load Disk Utility.

A list of disks should appear on the Left, using your Mouse, right click on the newly created Mac partition, click on Erase, this will allow the Mac to prepare the File System for OS X installation.

Quit Disk Utility and continue installing Mac OS X; remember to select 'customize' and specify which components you require for your system.

Once installed, load up Disk Utility again and repair permissions.

If you experience an HFS+ error after restarting, this is because of Vista. It can be fixed by:

Vista's Boot Loader changes a few things which leaves the Mac's MBR (Master Boot Record) crippled.

Before reading on, you might want to check the PID (Partition Identifier) of your Mac partition first, so scroll down to the bottom section for fixing re-occuring HFS+ errors.

Firstly, you'll have to boot off your OS X Installation Disc in single user mode. This can be done by pressing F8 at the disc's Darwin Prompt and typing -s.

At the single user prompt, type these commands exactly:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

Specifies the disc that you have Vista and OS X installed to

The specified location rdisk0 may of course be different if Vista or OS X was installed on a different drive, e.g. rdisk1, rdisk2

flag 2

Marks OS X as the active partition (or if you installed OS X 1st and Vista 2nd, change the flag to 1)

update

Update machine code in loaded MBR

write

Write loaded MBR to disk

quit

This will quit fdisk and take you back to the normal single user prompt

reboot

Your machine will restart and boot OS X as normal

Once you're happy that OS X has booted normally, restart back into single user prompt using the OS X Installation Disc.

Type these commands exactly:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

Specifies the disc that you have Vista and OS X installed to

flag 1

Marks Vista as the active partition (or if you installed OS X 1st and Vista 2nd, change the flag to 2)

quit

This will quit fdisk and take you back to the normal single user prompt

reboot

Your machine will restart and boot Vista

Vista will say "\Windows\System32\winload" corrupted, don't panic! this is normal, however, to fix this problem you must now restart and boot from your Vista Installation Disc. If you only have the Vista Recovery Disc, then you must obtain an actual bootable installation disc.

Select your language then click 'Repair your computer' and if required, select the Vista installation you wish to repair.

Once the System Recovery Options prompt appears, click 'Repair and restart'.

This entire process has to be completed, otherwise Darwin will fail to see Vista as as bootable OS.

Check to see if everything is fine by letting it boot back into your Vista installation, or if this is not done automatically, restart the machine.

You can now proceed to add Mac OS X with EasyBCD or via the command line method, or for whatever reason, you can use DISKPART to mark Partition 2 as active again so that you can boot directly into the Mac.

If the Vista Boot Loader does not work at all with your Mac OS X partition, you can just simply mark Partition 2 as active and use the F8 method to select which OS to boot from.

No fancy graphics like Vista's method, but hell, it works perfectly :D

You should now be able to either boot into Vista or OSX by pressing f8 at the boot screen.

Good Luck

Lizg