The Official Dual Booting Thread

Swad

549 posts in this topic

I need some help here... I'm a newbie, so I don't know much.

A few days ago, I installed iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6 on a partition I created with Win 7. OS X worked fine, but when I tried to boot into the Windows NTFS partition, it just says something like:

BOOTLOADER is missing

Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart

I've had this happen before, but last time, I merely fixed it with the startup repair on the Win 7 install DVD. This time however, the install DVD can't even locate my Win 7 installation, so it doesn't do the repair correctly. So now, my Win 7 is screwed, but my OS X runs perfectly. Anybody knows why this will happen, and how to fix it?

Oh, and is this a boot0 error? I tried deleting OS X and reformatting the OS X partition into a FAT32, but when I try to boot up then, it says something about boot0, and still won't boot up. So now I've got OS X back, and my Win 7 is still screwed.

Hi,

Try booting from your Windows 7 DVD and select "Next" and then select "Repair My Computer" from the options listed at the bottom of the window. As soon as the hourglass changes back to the normal curser click "Next" and select "Command Prompts" from the menu. In the command prompts window type bootrec.exe /fixmbr and hit enter. If everything goes as it should within a few seconds you'll get a message that it was successfully repaired. Restart your computer without the DVD in it and you should be able to boot back into Windows. :D

Hi,

i want do dual boot windows 7 and Mac OS X from one hdd on my Dell XPS M1530

1. installed OS X on partition 1

2. installed windows 7 on partition 2

--> only windows 7 boot up

3. used EasyBSD to add Mac OS X to Boot-Setup on startup

4. Mac OS X appears in the startup, but when i want to start there is only an error message telling me that /NST/nst_mac.mbr is not found. Mac OS X does not start up.

Please help me!!

i added a picture of the error message, too. sorry for the quality... iphone cam -.-*

Fred

//edit:

Ok, i found a solution myself :)

This Thread helped me, if other have the same problem:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&p=577095

post-575870-1266669654_thumb.jpg

I got my netbook to triple boot Windows 7 Home Premium, OS X 10.5.6 (planning on upgrading to 10.6 soon), and Ubuntu 9.10. I now have 100GB on 7, 80GB on OS X, and 40GB on Ubunutu, as well as a 4 GB swap file and an 8GB transfer partition (for all partitions)

Can you let us know partition scheme type used GUID/MBR, bootloader and order you installed everything in

I currently have snow 10.6.1, ubuntu netbook remix both installed now and working if booting from relevant USB stick wrestling with bootloader GRUB is currently active on the HD which I need to move to ubuntu partition (looking for the command to do this spotted once on the forum but now can't find it anywhere)

Intend to install win 7 at some point I hope that it will install as I have set up GUID partition type.

I intend to use chameleon as the boot loader if I can just don't know how far i'm going to get so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave W

excuse me if this has already been answered (bet it has...multiple times) but I'm a total newb. I just built my first hackintosh using the lifehacker articule, pretty much to the t. System only has OSX installed. Would I have any issues with installing windows on a separate drive and simply choosing on startup which hdd to start up to?

Hello and here is what I have done for dual booting XP on one hard drive, and Leopard 10.5.2 on another hard drive. Sounds odd but I'm doing it, and heres how I've done it.

This is what I'm using.

Motherboard Asus P5GD1

CPU Type Intel Pentium 4 560, 3600 MHz (18 x 200)

Physical Memory: 3199 MB

Physical Drives:

[ Drive #1 - ST3120022A (111 GB) ] #1 (Active) HFS+ 114472 MB THIS IS THE MAC DRIVE on primary ide along with dvd rom.

[ Drive #2 - Maxtor 6B300R0 (279 GB) ]#1 (Active)NTFS C: 275779 MB THIS DRIVE IS XP

#2 FAT32 D:(Shared)275779 MB 10370 MB (FROM EARLY TESTING)

[ Drive #3 - Maxtor 6B300R0 (279 GB) ]#1 (Active)NTFS G: 0 MB 286181 MB

[ Drive #4 - Maxtor 6Y120L0 (114 GB) ]#1 (Active)NTFS F: 0 MB 117239 MB

[ Drive #5 - SAMSUNG SV2042H (19 GB) ]#1 (Active)NTFS H: 0 MB 19461 MB

and I can add more.

Now as my bios is booting (American Megatrends Inc.) this allows me to select which harddrive to boot (f8).

I first have XP on the primary ide (set as masterand keep it there) installed and running. (have your copy of what ever ready)

I then switch my XP harddrive to the Second ide (as a master) and install the (now) Mac Harddrive and installed 10.5.2 and did not have to use any software.

There are still one thing I'm still trying to get help with and that is XP can read all the other drives and dvd (knows the mac hd is there but no files to view) and on the mac side it will not read the second or third IDE? And the time keeps shifting to GMT on both sides. But everything else works.

Way to go Kalyway :(

Dual Booting Win 7 Professional 64bit Retail and Snow Leopard 10.6.2 64bit (Retail Image + a few kexts for the hardware.)

Hardware:

- 1 HDD for Snow Leopard

- 1 HDD for Win 7

Motherboard connections:

- SATA0 - Snow Leopard HDD

- SATA1 - Win 7 HDD

Installing Win 7:

- Disconnect all HDDs but Win 7 HDD on SATA1

- Install Win 7 as you normally would. I did it via DVD.

Installing Snow Leopard:

- Disconnect all HDDs but Snow Leopard HDD on SATA0

- I installed Snow Leopard using [this insanelymac guide] replacing author's kexts with the kexts for my particular system and using 64bit Kernel instead of 32bit. It will have you load the latest Chameleon (RC4 at the time of writing) on your Snow Leopard HDD EFI partition.

Once Snow Leopard is installed:

- Connect win 7 HDD

- Boot. Chameleon should recognize win 7 (System Reserve and Windows NTFS) partitions. Select System Reserve to boot to win 7.

This was the least painful way to install both OSs for me. Hope this helps.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays

which sata port u hookup to your dvd drive?

I am succesfully Dual booting Win 7 Ultimate 64bit Retail and Snow Leopard 10.6.0 Retail

I followed this guide.

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/dua...-os-x-snow.html

The only thing I did differently, was that in STEP 1: I did not do #10 and #11, beacuse I did not have a working OSX install to partition the drive ( I partitiones it from within the booted Retail DVD), and it worked fine.

Hi , everyone

First thing I want to say is to thank the forum for many useful posts, so I can successfully install a dual boot Vista/ Leopard on my laptop.

Here is my situation ( Easy BCD 2.0 beta as bootloader )

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47753924@N03/4403708726/

I am going to install a Linux distro on the unallocated partition ( Fedora ), so make it triple boot . Now I want to ask is the following method correct way to do that : ( I don't want to mess up with my current system )

1. I will install Fedora and GRUB on the unallocated partition . This is supposed not to affect any existing configurations , am I correct ? So after Installation , when I restart I will have the dual boot options I usually have .

2. In windows , I will add a Linux entry in Easy BCD.

3. After restarting, I will have triple boot options as I expected .

Are my above assumptions correct ? Any risks should I aware of ? Thanks for your insight.

P/S : I can't make a new topic. Wonder how can I become eligible to start a new topic ?

Hello all,

First of all i am pretty new to mac and all that stuff.

I succesfully installed dual booting win7 and Leopard 10.5.7

I am using chameleon 2.0(installed from iatkosv7)

They are both booting and working fine, but it boots Leopard if i do not press any button, but i want to boot windows by default.

can anyone help me with this?

I have 2 drives, 1 ssd and 1 old sata drive.

I have vanilla OS X Leopard on my ssd and then installed W7 on the sata drive.

Problem is I want to choose which drive to boot when I start the computer... I tried EasyBCD in Windows but it doesn't seem to work when I have OS X on another drive? The pathway is on the local C: directory.

What I do now is just boot into BIOS and change the boot priority of the drives but there has to be an easier way.

Help please.

Partial Success for me on an Acer Aspire One (1st gen) with stock parts.

Currently triple booting Win7 Ultimate, Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04, and Mac OS X 10.6.1.

On the Apple side of things, I cannot get the R1000.kext to give me an IP address. The interface is active, but I get a 169.x.x.x address rather than the 192.x.x.x I should be getting on my home network.

I used a retail 10.6 image restored to an 8gb memory stick. That was made workable by using Netbook Boot Maker 0.83. The install was initially tried on a GUID partition table, but I could not get Win7's installer to work with that partition scheme.

I updated to 10.6.1 without issue by using the downloaded update rather than the OS's Software Update CP. I then backed up the working image to an external USB drive using SuperDuper.

Started from scratch with an MBR partition table as I read that OSX can live on an MBR disk, just not be installed there. Win7 was installed first, then Ubuntu Netbook Remix. The drive had three partitions with Win7 and UNR on partitions 2 and 3. Grub worked fine with both OSes.

I restored the image to the first partition with my 8gb stick installer's Disk Utility. It would now boot with my installer's Chameleon bootloader.

I was able to install Chameleon to the MBR from within my booted OSX partition. Now OSX could boot, but not UNR, or 7.

I used the UNR install media to boot into the UNR environment and install GRUB to Ubuntu's partition. Now GRUB worked from Chameleon but for Linux only. Win7 would bluescreen with a stop error.

One more boot into Win7's installer to repair the install and make the partition active. Before rebooting I used diskpart to make the Mac OS partition active.

(not so) Short List:

Make 1 GUID partition on the Acer's HD with the installer's Disk Utility.

Install OS X from Retail 10.6 image restored to USB with NBM.

Update to 10.6.1 with downloaded update.

Make image of the HD with SuperDuper (this is REALLY simple).

Start over with a reformat of the Acer's HD - 3 partitions with MBR.

Install Win 7

Install UNR

Transfer Acer's OS 10.6.1 image with Mac OS Installer

Use the Installer's Chameleon bootloader to boot back into your 10.6.1 partition on the Acer's HD.

Install Chameleon to the MBR.

Use UNR install media to boot into live environment.

Reinstall GRUB to Ubuntu's partition.

Use Win7's install media to repair the Win7 install.

Use the Installer's Chameleon bootloader to boot back into your 10.6.1 partition on the Acer's HD. (again)

Use diskutil to make 10.6.1 partition active.

Reinstall Chameleon to Acer's HD.

Done. This was the result of reading three different guides written for the Dell Mini and figuring things out on my own. Perhaps some of it is needlessly complicated, but I have a working triple boot environment.

As a result of all of this, I have Chameleon installed to the MBR of the 160gb HD. It boots to OSX normally, Win7 normally, and UNR through GRUB when selected through Chameleon.

I understand that I need to swap out the wireless card as there are no working ar5001 kexts for the Atheros card. Which is the best buy for the One?

Can anyone help out with this Realtek issue? I have tried kexts from kexts.com (org, etc), and the Sourceforge installer as well as from an "AA150 Netbook Pack" from Prasys' site. All activate the en0 interface, but I cannot get a valid IP address from my router for net access.

Thanks,

S. Strungis

the link to your guide is broke

I am succesfully Dual booting Win 7 Ultimate 64bit Retail and Snow Leopard 10.6.0 Retail

I followed this guide.

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/dua...-os-x-snow.html

The only thing I did differently, was that in STEP 1: I did not do #10 and #11, beacuse I did not have a working OSX install to partition the drive ( I partitiones it from within the booted Retail DVD), and it worked fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have 2 Hard Disks, one with XP and another with Snow Leopard (installed using Efi Empire and Snow Leopard Retail DVD and finally patched also with Efi)

I tried dual boot with "chain0" method (adding c:/chain0="Mac OS X" in XP's boot.ini and chain0 file in c:…) and when I try to run Mac OS X it shows me a "chain0 error"….also using tboot shows me a "HFS error"….

I can use F8 BIOS booting option but is not the best way to do it….

So, I would appreciate if anybody can help me with this problem

Thanks!

Here's what I did:

Using EASEUS Partition Manager, I partitioned the Hard Disk into 2.

Then I installed Mac OSX on one partition.

(NOTE: You need to backup your data on the Windows partition at this point.) Next, I installed Windows 7 on the other partition.

Now that the computer defaults into booting into Windows, I can access the Internet.

I then download EasyBCD.

I add a entry for "Generic X86 PC"

I restart the computer and Tada!

You can now boot into Windows or Mac.

Hi

Apart from having browsed these forums for hours already :-) I have a couple of questions:

My goal is to triple boot win / Snow Leopard / Linux on my Compaq mini-311c (ION Atom netbook).

I run into a couple of problems:

1° First I learn that SL installs on GUID partition table, unless modified to MBR (Is there an 'easy' guide on how to do this?)

2° I learn that apparently only Windows 7 can handle GUID PT. (apart from some Win server OS)

So I have followed Wayne's guide to try and do this.

I did succeed in getting this running, but...

1° I am completely new to OSX, but indeed very keen on getting to know this OS better. (I have bought the vanilla SL DVD)

2° Obviously, being new to OSX, it will take some getting used to and some learning :-)

3° I have learned that Chameleon seems to be the most interesting boot loader, I have it installed from within SL.

4° In the mean time I have acquired Win7 and have set it up according to Wayne's guide, but:

When something's changed to the system (e.g. I added Ubuntu 9.10, installing GRUB to the linux root partition)

Chameleon will auto find this newly installed OS, but

5° Win7 won't boot anymore...

When I try to repair Win7, I would first need to set the Win7 partition active.

But Win7 installer throws an error telling me it cannot set a partition active while disk is GPT.... and not MBR???

So I'm stuck repairing win7

Conclusion:

How can I repair Win7?

What do I have to do to install extra OS'es (Linux) in order to not break Win7 / OSX?

Is there an easy guide to make an MBR Snow LEO DVD or USB stick?

Thank you for your help!

Erwin

• 3 weeks later...

#1 I used a gParted livecd to make a ext3-swap-hfs+ partition table.

#2 I backed up the mbr to a thumb drive using dd (puppy linux live cd downloadable here)

#3 I installed iDeneb v1.4 by erasing the hfs+ and then installing (the erase was to format it)

#4 I restored the mbr (install of iDeneb corrupted it dont skip)

#5 I installed Xubuntu 9.10 (has grub2 which autodetcets iDeneb)

Hi guys, i am new here. Now here's my problem , i hope you guys can show me the way.

First of all i have installed windows 7 32-bit on my primary HDD. I have a 2nd HDD which is not in use but contains files which i can backup if needed to. I have read a few threads on the internet and it says that you need a 2nd HDD (optional), for easy installation disconnect the primary HDD which contains windows 7 and then install MAC Snow Leopard onto that 2nd HDD and then reconnect the primary HDD and boot windows 7. Using BCD , you configure the boot priority of these 2 OS'es and that is your dual boot.

So my question is , is this the easiest solution? cause' i am no computer geek and it troubles me having to follow complicated methods to get dual boot.

My specs are :

intel E6550 2.3GHz

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3

XFX 8800gts G92

4gb Ram DDr2 667

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys i'm new here so go easy on me :D

I've got 2 x windows XP and 1 os x 86 ; iDeneb

after a long try i finally got into os x, i tried every way and last but not least i tried to boot with acronis os selector installed by xp, now i can boot my os x, but i cant boot my xp's anymore xD

so first i couldn't boot os x at all by windows dual boot menu ( chain0 blabla), but now i can't boot xp by acronis.

what is my problem here? i can see all of my harddisks and partitions in os x on the right side off the main screen. how can i fix a normal dual boot by windows dualboot menu?

ok, i installed acronis os selector and could boot my osx iDeneb, but i wanted a windows dualboot because it's quicker and easier. as soon as i deleted os selector i wanted to boot to osx with windows dual boot, a option that didn't work on the first time, but now i tried again and os x booted but hangs while loading ( white screen with the apple logo and the classic apple loading logo that freezes), what's happening here?

thanks