The Official Dual Booting Thread

Swad

549 posts in this topic

Please help me how does this works dont get it with the chain 0 i dont get it ??

Post your requirements, objectives and system setup. Post what you've tried and if you want use my methodology above to clear your thoughts.

This approach always works for us Mech Engineers and Computer Scientists so I'm sure it will help purge your thoughts into what you might not see--a simple solution.

Ok thank you i have iatkos v2 on my dell xps m1330 and want to dual boot vista with mac i tried the method with acronis disc director but it didnt worked :blink:

Is the behavior exhibited that the MBR for Vista overrides that of OS X and vice versa depending on who is last in the install process of preformatted partitions and/or drives?

Successful Dual-Boot Vista Ultimate / Kalyway 10.5.2 on HP dv6700t

After several hours and (amlost) countless installs of Vista and OS X, I finally have it working!!

Note: I copied my C:\SWSETUP folder from Vista to an external drive prior to formatting. This makes it easier to reinstall Vista. You must have a Vista install DVD.

Specs:

Core2Duo 2.5GHz CPU

3GB DDR2-667 RAM

250GB 5400RPM HDD

Mobile Intel 965 Video

Realtek ALC268 HD Audio

Realtek RTL8101 NIC

(I.) Boot from Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD

(1.)Disk Utility Setup:

(a.) Completely wipe the 250GB and split into 3 Partitions:

• Partition 1: 10GB Leopard, Mac OS Extended (Journaled),

• Partition 2: 25GB Vista (MS-DOS FAT)

• Partition 3: 184.2GB Shared (MS-DOS FAT)

(b.) Selected "Master Boot Record" under "Options"

(2.) Install Leopard

(a.) Select partition 1 (Leopard)

(b.) Customize:

• Unselect Language Translations

• Select desired in Kernels

• Select Intel_GMA in Graphics_Drivers

• Unselect Audio_Drivers

• Unselect Wifi_cards in Network_Drivers

• Select desired apps in Thirds_Applications

• Select TimeMachineFix, PowerManagement_bundle, and Intel Memory Controller in Patches

(c.) Install (Took about 20 miunutes)

(II.) Boot into OS X

(1.) Set up account

(2.) Check functionality

(3.) Restart

(III.) Boot from Vista DVD

(1.) Get to partition selection screen and press shift+F10

(a.) Enter commands:

• diskpart

• select disk 0

• detail disk

• select volume 1 (this should be the FAT32 Vista partition)

• format fs=ntfs label="Vista" quick

• active

(b.) Refresh partition list and select partition 2 (Vista)

(c.) Install (Took about 20 minutes)

(IV.) Boot into Vista

(1.) Set up account

(2.) Check functionality

(3.) Restart

(V.) Boot from Kalyway DVD with -s boot option

(1.) Enter commands:

• fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

• print

• flag 1 (this should be the HSF+ Leopard partition)

• write

• update

• quit

• reboot

(VI.) Boot into OS X

(1.) Open termainal and enter the following:

• sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

• print

• flag 2 (this should be the NTFS Vista partition)

• quit

• y

(2.) Restart

(VII)Boot from Vista Install DVD

(1.) Click Repair

(2.) Click Repair and reboot

(VIII.) Boot into Vista

(1.) Just make sure it boots properly

(2.) Restart

(IX.) Boot from Kalyway DVD with -s boot option

(1.) Enter commands:

• fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

• print

• flag 1 (this should be the HSF+ Leopard partition)

• quit

• y

• reboot

(X.) Congratulations! You should be able to boot into either Vista or OS X!

Hope this helps someone out there!

hi there, if i already have Vista installed in the Partition 1, which step should i follow from your guide?

many thanks.

lashio.

Simplicity: 2 hard drives and Acronis Disk Director.

1. Install only 1 HD Install OSX-PC,

2. Disconnect first OSX HD, and connect other HD and install Windows Whatever ..

3. Connect them both making the Windows HD the master boot.

4. Install Acronis Disk Director 10, install the boot manager, and you done.

The thing I like about this is I can just install as many os's as my heart desires (or until I use up all my sata ports) but then theres USB!

So once you get each seperate drive loaded up with the os, just connect them all (ide, sata,usb,thumbdrive) and start at step 3 using the same guidelines, acronis will detect them all and force whichever one to active and boot it up...

Just my 2 cents ...

(jaS 10.4.8 - WindowsXP / Dual Boot Configuration: 2x250GB SATA)

(jaS 10.4.8 - Windows Vista - openSUSE 10.3 / Triple Boot Configuration: 2x80GB SATA, 1x8GB Thumbdrive (OSX)

I like the way that sounds. Can you get the same result using only 1 hard drive and Disk director 10?

I'm running into issues with the bootloader.

I have 2 Hard Drives, one with Leopard installed, formatted as GUID. The other has Vista installed, formatted as MBR. EasyBCD does not even sense the drive that Leopard is on. It only sees that Vista drive. I have a feeling it's because my Leopard drive is formatted as GUID. Is there any software that will detect a GUID drive through Windows? I haven't tried Acronis. Would that work?

Right now, I have to go into BIOS and choose my boot priority everytime I want to switch OS. It would be so much nicer to just have a menu when I start up. Thanks in advance for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for EasyBCD from me :wacko:

My Set-up -

Disk 1 partition 1 - Vista

Disk 2 partition 2 - OSX (iDeneb 10.5.4)

Process -

1. Install OSX and configure.

2. Reboot PC (automatically booted Vista for me).

3. Launch EasyBCD and add Mac OSX to Vista boot loader. Save the changes and quit EasyBCD.

4. Reboot PC.

5. Pick OSX from the Vista boot loader.

This has probably been done a million times before but I found it pretty simple to get working especially as before yesterday I'd never touched OSX on a PC ;)

I NEED HELP GUYS! i have EASY BCD installed, and I have it set to Vista on the first partition and osx on the second partition....

when I hit osx, I go to the darwin boot loader after that and I have to go down and hit enter, THEN osx loads.

is there any way to dual boot with just ONE bootloader?

it's REALY ANNOYING!!!

Hi need some experts to weigh in here. I don't have a problem as such but need to understand a few things/

I have 2 disks, both sata and partitioned with fdisk, no gpt partition stuff. So I have XP on the first a partition of the first disk and OSX on the first partition of the second disk installed via flat img. I have vista bootloader booting XP and manage it with EasyBCD. So I had added an entry for OSX via EasyBCD (EasyBCD creates a file called nst_mac.mbr which I presume is chain0 from OSX) and it worked well enough for ages.

Now I had to restore an OSX backup recently via diskimage and lost boot on the OSX drive. I would get chain0 error. I got it back after installing darwin bootloader back to disk2 via the 'fdisk -e, dd boot1h, and startupfile method'. This took some time, I would get the blinking cursor etc untill I 'somehow' finally got it right. That somehow is bugging me and I need to know exactly it works.

1. Since EasyBCD is creating chain0 (nst_mac.mbr) on the XP drive and Vista bootloader is referencing that which I presume is the mac mbr to boot osx through it why would I need to reinstall darwin bootloader on disk2 and do all the blessing, active business? Shouldn't chain0 from darwin be able to locate the hfs partition on disk 2 automatically and boot it?

2. EasyBCD has Neogrub which I use to boot Ubuntu. By setting up an entry for OSX in neogrub menu.1st like this with boot_V8 from netkas I can boot the OSX partition.

title Leopard

kernel (hd0,0)/NST/boot_v8

quiet

This method doesn't need the darwin bootloader or the osx partiton or for the osx partition to be active. So I need to understand what exactly is happening and how Darwin boots.

EDIT: Found this great resource here: http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/index.php/t72400.html

I'm bored so i guess ill post what worked for me to dual boot XP and OSx86 after many tries and reading some guides. Sorry if this has already been posted. I don't take credit for anything just saying this is what worked for me...

1. Download chain0 file from http://riccardo.raneri.it/blog/eng/wp-cont...6/08/chain0.rar.

Put on USB Flash drive if you have one. Remove all hard drives that you wont be installing onto. Just 1 empty drive hooked up.

2. Boot from OSX86 CD 10.5.2 KALYWAY AMD INTEL DVD.

3. In Disk Utility format your 1 and only 1 new fresh unformatted drive into three partitions. Make the first partition HFS Journaled, 2nd FAT32, 3rd FAT32. The first is for OSX86, 2nd is for XP, third is for stuff/files. The third is FAT32 so you can share files between OSX86 and XP. You MUST format using Disk Utility. You MUST select MBR in Options for your drive. Name your partitions simple names like OSX and XP and FILES without spaces or weird characters.

4. Install OSX86 on your HFS Journaled partition. Don't select any video drivers. Add those later. Reboot after install, setup your mac, reboot a few times to make sure it works ok.

5. In OSX open up Terminal. Type this:

sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 ( Type in your password, you will see fdisk: 1>)

flag 2 (hit Enter)

update ( hit Enter again)

write (hit enter AGAIN!)

exit (keep typing exit and hitting Enter until you see Process Complete)

6. Reboot and put your XP cd in the drive. Format the 2nd partition you made above as NTFS and do a quick format. Install XP. After the XP installation reboots by itself it should continue to install. If it doesn't....too bad I guess...worked for me!

7. On the very first boot of XP plug in your USB flash with the chain0 file on it. Copy and paste it to the root, usually C:\

8.In An Explorer window go to Tools>Folder Options> View> show hidden files and folders, show operating system files. Open your boot.ini file in Notepad and add this line at the bottom.

C:\chain0="Mac OS X"

9. Reboot! You should now have a stable dual boot system. Now go ahead and mess around with video drivers for OSX86. Best to install them after you know your system is dual booted and works.

• 2 weeks later...
Can OS X WRITE to NTFS?

my dual-booting works great, but i have read-only access to my XP NTFS partition.. it would be great if i could write to it from OS X.

Is this possible?

Yes it can. There's a simple solution to this. Google NTFS 3G and follow the instructions on how to install it on your osx86 partition.

I'm bored so i guess ill post what worked for me to dual boot XP and OSx86 after many tries and reading some guides. Sorry if this has already been posted. I don't take credit for anything just saying this is what worked for me...

1. Download chain0 file from http://riccardo.raneri.it/blog/eng/wp-cont...6/08/chain0.rar.

Put on USB Flash drive if you have one. Remove all hard drives that you wont be installing onto. Just 1 empty drive hooked up.

2. Boot from OSX86 CD 10.5.2 KALYWAY AMD INTEL DVD.

3. In Disk Utility format your 1 and only 1 new fresh unformatted drive into three partitions. Make the first partition HFS Journaled, 2nd FAT32, 3rd FAT32. The first is for OSX86, 2nd is for XP, third is for stuff/files. The third is FAT32 so you can share files between OSX86 and XP. You MUST format using Disk Utility. You MUST select MBR in Options for your drive. Name your partitions simple names like OSX and XP and FILES without spaces or weird characters.

4. Install OSX86 on your HFS Journaled partition. Don't select any video drivers. Add those later. Reboot after install, setup your mac, reboot a few times to make sure it works ok.

5. In OSX open up Terminal. Type this:

sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 ( Type in your password, you will see fdisk: 1>)

flag 2 (hit Enter)

update ( hit Enter again)

write (hit enter AGAIN!)

exit (keep typing exit and hitting Enter until you see Process Complete)

6. Reboot and put your XP cd in the drive. Format the 2nd partition you made above as NTFS and do a quick format. Install XP. After the XP installation reboots by itself it should continue to install. If it doesn't....too bad I guess...worked for me!

7. On the very first boot of XP plug in your USB flash with the chain0 file on it. Copy and paste it to the root, usually C:\

8.In An Explorer window go to Tools>Folder Options> View> show hidden files and folders, show operating system files. Open your boot.ini file in Notepad and add this line at the bottom.

C:\chain0="Mac OS X"

9. Reboot! You should now have a stable dual boot system. Now go ahead and mess around with video drivers for OSX86. Best to install them after you know your system is dual booted and works.

This way sound easy and simple, Can i add to the chain0 Ubuntu?

Cause i have a 250 GB fresh drive and instead of a files partition i want ubuntu, so it'd be Mac OS, XP and Ubuntu, How can i do this using your way with chain0?

Best regards.

I have two separate SATA harddrive. I first installed Vista Ultimate x64 in disk 1 and installed Leopard (Kalyway 10.5.2. + Update to 10.5.4) for the other one.

I used GUID partition for my Leopard. Not sure if this is going to be useful, my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3.

Before I go on, the following method is not invented by me, so I do not take any credit for that. It is based on the information I've gathered here and there in the web. I modify it accordingly to suit my set up.

Okay, so here are the steps...

1. Download and install EasyBCD 1.7.2

2. Copy and paste the boot0 file into your C folder

*you can find the boot0 file in your Leopard DVD under /usr/standalone/i386/guid folder

3. Rename the boot0 file to nst_mac.efi

4. Launch EasyBCD and click Add/Remove Entries on the left pane

5. On the right pane, under "Add an entry", click on the Mac tab, select iMac/Macbook as the type and name it whatever you want. I named mine Mac OS X Leopard, then click Add Entry

6. Go to Manage Bootloader section and select Reinstall the Vista Bootloader, click Write MBR

7. Once you are done with this, go back to your C folder and you should see a folder call NST there (i'm not too sure if this folder exist before doing the setting in EasyBCD)

8. Now move your nst_mac.efi file to the NST folder

9. Restart your computer and enable AHCI in the Bios so that you can boot into Leopard. You should be able to see the option to select Vista or Leopard at startup now.

10. Select Leopard to see if it loads, if not, you might have to seek help elsewhere. If it works, restart and disable the AHCI setting and boot into Vista again.

11. If you haven't already done so, you should enable AHCI in your Vista now so that you don't have to re-enable and disable AHCI each time you switch between the two OS.

*It's easy to do this, google is your friend here. Just type "enable ahci vista" without the quotes as the keyword!

12. Restart and get ready to witness the wonders of a perfectly working vista leopard dualboot right in front of your eyes!

Enjoy!

;)

What's the easiest way for me to do a dual boot on 1 hard drive. Readying everyone this site makes my head want to explode, so many things to try.

I have a SATA hard drive with 2 partitions already made. Difference is that I already have Mac OS X 10.5.4 installed on one partition and is working wonderfully. Most the guides I see here have me install XP first. Does the Chain0 method work fine if I already have OS X installed?

I have two separate SATA harddrive. I first installed Vista Ultimate x64 in disk 1 and installed Leopard (Kalyway 10.5.2. + Update to 10.5.4) for the other one.

I used GUID partition for my Leopard. Not sure if this is going to be useful, my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3.

Before I go on, the following method is not invented by me, so I do not take any credit for that. It is based on the information I've gathered here and there in the web. I modify it accordingly to suit my set up.

Okay, so here are the steps...

1. Download and install EasyBCD 1.7.2

2. Copy and paste the boot0 file into your C folder

*you can find the boot0 file in your Leopard DVD under /usr/standalone/i386/guid folder

3. Rename the boot0 file to nst_mac.efi

4. Launch EasyBCD and click Add/Remove Entries on the left pane

5. On the right pane, under "Add an entry", click on the Mac tab, select iMac/Macbook as the type and name it whatever you want. I named mine Mac OS X Leopard, then click Add Entry

6. Go to Manage Bootloader section and select Reinstall the Vista Bootloader, click Write MBR

7. Once you are done with this, go back to your C folder and you should see a folder call NST there (i'm not too sure if this folder exist before doing the setting in EasyBCD)

8. Now move your nst_mac.efi file to the NST folder

9. Restart your computer and enable AHCI in the Bios so that you can boot into Leopard. You should be able to see the option to select Vista or Leopard at startup now.

10. Select Leopard to see if it loads, if not, you might have to seek help elsewhere. If it works, restart and disable the AHCI setting and boot into Vista again.

11. If you haven't already done so, you should enable AHCI in your Vista now so that you don't have to re-enable and disable AHCI each time you switch between the two OS.

*It's easy to do this, google is your friend here. Just type "enable ahci vista" without the quotes as the keyword!

12. Restart and get ready to witness the wonders of a perfectly working vista leopard dualboot right in front of your eyes!

Enjoy!

:unsure:

Tried this medthod and whole bunch other ones with iDeneb v1 10.5.4 Chameleon 9.4.0 Vanilla (Intel/SSE3) ,GUID partition, no success, two seperate AHCI sata dirves installs.

Have to stick with BIOS to choose which drive to boot. That worked 100%.

I just got my osx 10.5.4 up and running (my first hackintosh, yay!) and I am interested in doing a vista dual boot. I have an idea on how I want to dual boot, but had a question.

I have OSX installed on a 500gb SATA drive and I have a spare 250gb IDE drive I would like to format and install vista on, and use them as a dual boot. Does anyone forsee issues with using ide and sata? I just spent all my $$ on my mac build so it may take me a few weeks until I could afford another sata drive.

Any insight is appriciated before I spend hours and hours messing with something that is doomed to not work. I just wanna play some games!!

Thanks in advance!

Alright....I need some help.

I installed osx 10.5.4 on my pc using a retail dvd. I used a 132 boot cd and chameleon to do this. Here's the problem. I wanted to format my windows as well so I could do a fresh install of windows. So i started with the os x, and I formated the entire hard drive and installed it. OS x works perfect now, except no wifi (if someone could help me with that) and no audio either. everything else works great. except now I can't install windows. I made a partition in utilities for windows, and i restarted the computer with the windows cd in the drive, and when I tried installing on the drive, it gave an error saying the drive was in GTI or something like that, can't remember exactly. even tried formatting the partition with the windows cd, still wouldn't work.

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

any way to reformat the entire drive, install windows first, then install the os x? anything please!

*Edit: sorry...GPT, not GTI....

Hi guys, this is my second post in so many years.

Here is a tip on how to dual Boot Windows & Mac in a single HDD.

Its a simple trick, even a rookie can do.

Its for Intel & AMD users. I did it with mine & it worked for me.

1) Install XP using 20% of your HDD space, rest leave as it is.

e.g. I had a 160 GB HDD I installed XP in primary partition using 20 GB of my space.

2) After you have your installed XP.

3) goto control panel in XP,

a) goto Administrative tools

:P open Computer Management

c) goto Storage / Disk Management

4) Now in Disk Management Select your HDD

post-15386-1222520406_thumb.jpg

image is just for reference

a) Right click on your HDD and create a new primary partition(s) (1 or 2) size is upto you.

:) do not format the partitioned drive(s).

c) when finished with primary create extended & logical drives.

5) reboot & insert your Mac OS disk. (I did it with Max OS X jas 10.4.8)

a) when loaded goto disk utility and choose your newly build partition & format the disk

B) install & reboot

6) it should start with Mac OS X as your master boot record will be set with mac

a) at the start up of darwine press F8

B) it should show you 2 options like :

Unknown

Mac OS X 10.4.8

c) if you are not showing any prompt screen at darwine check your com.apple.Boot.plist file

7) to boot to windows select your option & you are done.

If you still have windows coming up dont worry

Just copy the chain0 file in C:\ & add a line in boot.ini C:\chain0=Mac OS X

and it will be done.

I have tried this with Mac OS X Jas 10.4.8

I have created 4 primary partition

1 is loaded with Windows XP SP2

2 is loaded with Mac OS X Jas 10.4.8

3 is blank which i am going to try with Mac 10.5.2 Kalway

4 is blank too which i am going to try Fedora Linux

I think this could help you out

hello i have triple boot

firt i installed windows xp then mac os x

i added mac os to xp boot loader whith chain0 you can downloaded it from

http://www.maboite.fr.tc/mac/

put the chain 0 after unzipped in the racine of c

and add this line to boot.ini

C:\chain0="Mac OSX Leoprd"

or use tboot for no primaire partition

then i installed ubuntu so the first boot loader is the grub it i choose windows xp bootloader after i enter to darwine boot loader

sorry im very baaaaad in english but if someone would my help im ready zaki_speed@hotmail.com

Tried this medthod and whole bunch other ones with iDeneb v1 10.5.4 Chameleon 9.4.0 Vanilla (Intel/SSE3) ,GUID partition, no success, two seperate AHCI sata dirves installs.

Have to stick with BIOS to choose which drive to boot. That worked 100%.

I have also the same problem with iDeneb 10.5.5 on GPT disk and dual boot with Vista.

The trick with renaming boot0 to nst_boot.mbr or nst_boot.efi worked great with Leo4All distro, but no chance with iDeneb.