No Wake From Sleep - Discussion / Fixes thread

munky

219 posts in this topic

I finally got my sleep /wake up working in Leopard.( see post #171). I got a tip from Lucida to use the the other DVI connector near the board and it worked! I just lost my USB tho. I'll try Paulicats AppleSMBIOS to see if that will fix it.

I can't wake from sleep either. Everything comes back instantly, but I can't interact with anything. My cursor becomes the wheel, but not the spinning wheel and I can't click anything. I have a P5b and E6400.

I have the exact error on my dell d610 running 10.4.9.

I'm using a custom powermanagement.kext, remove the acpithrottle.kext, and using this custom smbios. At least the powerled blinks slowly as it were sleeping.

I also tried disabling the hibernate mode with no result

Hey guys, I've just installed OS X 10.4.10 with uphuck 1.4i and PascalW 10.4.10 patch.

Well, seems that after clean install, I can use sleep (not hibernate). Once I pressed that, everything's working, and my laptop (HP dv6101tx) gone to sleep. Once I press my power button, everything works again include the display. That means my sleep and wake is totally fine.

However, something didn't work right for me is: When my display goes to sleep itself (means, all the other stuff is working, is just the screen goes off), I can't wake my display again, you will be able to see lights coming out from the screen, but it's black.

Is that the same situation like you guys? Or is a different one?

Hello everyone,

I've been working on the issue where your pc wakes successfully, but usb mouse/keyboard are frozen.

It seems to be coming from the AppleSMBIOS.kext and I've managed to get a new version of the kext out that has fixed it for me.

I've uploaded it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?ebgy5icpxmb

As usual, no guarantees, but this fixed it for me.

Its based off the 10.4.9 (latest source available) and the version # is 1.0.11. Tested on 10.4.9 and 10.4.10.

This has all the fixes for About This Mac crashing (I've only tested Intel).

Only issue I've found with this version that I'll try to fix when I get time, is that running ioreg -l will make the output stop at smbios. It doesnt seem to affect anything as far as I can see.

Good luck!

Paulicat

Try to download AppleSMBIOS.kext from http://www.mediafire.com/?ebgy5icpxmb but its no more there.

Would appreciate if someone can point me to where I can get above Paulicat's AppleSMBIOS.kext.

Thanks

It seems that this is really the one issue that the OSX86 community is having quite the tangle with.

I'm currently working with 10.4.10, updated from the JaS install. My hardware is an HP Pavilion with a P5LP-LE motherboard. After much tweaking, absolutely everything is working except that elusive Hackint0sh feature: sleep. Here are my results:

Sleep seems to work correctly at first. All the moving hardware shuts down and the power light changes to amber.

- With the 8.8.1 kernel, and using an NVidia card, the system seems to wake, but the display never comes back on and the system doesn't respond to keyboard commands.

- With the 8.8.1 kernel, using the built-in Intel g950, the system wakes, but the display shows a BIOS-test message from the intel graphics adapter. The UI is inaccessible.

- Better results occur with the experimental 8.10.1 kernel. The display wakes, but the loginwindow is not accessible for some reason. A spinning compass over the desktop color as if the system were shutting down. Also, with the 8.10.1 I don't seem to be able to mount disk images for some reason.

I hope that the brains of this community can put their heads together to solve this one! I for one would be grateful. :thumbsup_anim:

I know this "sleep" problem has been haunting osx86 awake... but one thing i noticed...

I'm using version 10.4.6 and sleep works fine. i tried 10.4.10 and every version after 4.6 and nothing seems to work. something must be right with the 10.4.6 kernel that just cant seem to correct itself afterwards...

I might be wrong though...

my2cents...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I`m running 10.4.7 JaS with Gwan Update to 10.4.8 and Semtex kernel 8.8.1 sleep don`t work. All the hardware goes to sleep + the monitor too. At wake the system doesn`t wake but reboots. I have an Nvidia graphics 7300GT running with Natit 0.2 dual. I hadn`t applyed SMBios and PowerManagement kexts, do these kext have something to do with sleep function? I had X800 in my system the sleep didn`t work as well, but i got black screen! My config are Pentium D930, mobo P5LD2, IDE boot-drive + one SATA in AHCI mode, graphics 7300GT with 256MB. Please can somebody help me? Maybe changing the kernel will help, but please post some comands to install and to backup the old one in case something goes wrong!

Does sleep work with EFI? Can I get EFI with Pentium D?

Cheers!!!

My laptop's a Panasonic T5 with 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD and 1.2GHz Core Solo. I first installed with JaS 10.4.8 where I had the same problem as described in the OP. Then I used the koolkal updater to update my system to 10.4.10. Sleep worked normally then, except for a little quirk- I had to use the power switch to put it in sleep but it woke when I opened the lid. Then I had problems and reinstalled with XxX 10.4.11 with vanilla kernel and EFI. Now it'll go to sleep, but it won't even respond anymore. I have to pull out the battery to reboot it. Any help here?

hi

here is my experience with wake from sleep..

i finally isolated my problem waking up from sleep. My system goes into sleep without any problem but by waking up the screen returns but i have no mouse curser and system seems to be frozen..

so i find out that something similiar happens when i reactivate my airport (atheros 5005) after turning it off due systempreference or finderbar.

so i checked if i desactivate my airport first and then i go into sleep my system wakes up perfectly...

i remember that my airport switch on and off problem started ca 10.4.8 "it was an seperate airport update"

same happens to tiger and leo with the new io80211family.kext. as my airport is fully funcitional i did not value this small "bug" until now.

so thats the reason why sleep is not working for me...

cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have had limited success on my 845GL chipset with S1 set in BIOS (using iAtkos 10.5.1). Custom Universal NON-SPEEDSTEP sleep kernel 9.2.0 from ToH on IRC. Custom SMBIOS.kext caused no wakeup - blue desktop with disk activity, but nothing else.

Standard SMBIOS from install, gives success 90% of the time - sometimes the harddrive clicks incessantly while asleep, which causes me great concern. The other times, it is a clean sleep (my external 500GB MyBook complains about being ejected uncleanly, but then remounts flawlessly). It all seems to work with S1, NOT WITH S3.

This is the first time in 2 years this machine has SLEPT with OSX86!!!

i once got sleep working in my leopard too (10.5.2) , the exact same setup below ...

but once i did a fresh install, the sleep ability of my machine is gone ...

could anyone who can sleep (S3) kindly post up their version of following kexts

- AppleACPIPlatform.kext

- AppleSMBIOS.kext

- Kernel (type: "uname -a" in terminal and post up the result)

- EFI or not

- EFI-String or not

p.s. //Leopard user plz!

thanks, i hope i can figured this out ...

• 2 months later...

I made a comparison of Apple sources IOPCIFamily and IOGraphicsFamily of Tigers and Leo versions. The main difference in sleep support!

May be other kexts.

So you can't improve sleep support in Tiger without rewriting ALL drivers. :)