No Wake From Sleep - Discussion / Fixes thread

munky

219 posts in this topic

I upgraded to 10.4.9 and now the sleep works (or at least I think...)

At the moment I didn't hack to have the current status battery on the menu bar So I don't know if this has some conseguences...

However it is very fast so I'm not sure about the effective sleep status.

In the log I have only:

System Sleep

System Wake

• 2 weeks later...

I just reinstalled 10.4.8 on my Hack and the JaS 10.4.8 was sleeping perfectly fine on my machine. But as soon as I enabled Titan, it stopped sleeping. The screen would just remain frozen.

I have tried NvidiaEFI and that also causes the freeze on boot. Maybe its my video card.

• 3 weeks later...

Mm I almost got sleep workin :) .

The desk comes back, but its not cotrollable, and sometimes a blue screen shows up..

I installed ACPICPUThrottler to manage this.

In the bios you have repost on vga disabled, acpi on 2.0 and Apic enabled.

Help is appriciated !

I've noticed that my notebook sleeps fine when sleep is selected from the apple menu and there is a CD in the tray. Resumes with everything working.

Specs:

Mac OS X 10.4.7 (Jas's 10.4.6 install disk, then his 10.4.7 update), ACPICPUThrottle,

Dell Inspiron 6000, Pentium M 1.6 GHz (SSE2), 512 M ram, 80 G SATA HDD, GMA 915 Truemobile 1450

the CD drive might be a Toshiba CD R/W & DVD ROM...I'm not sure

With the latest S8 from prasys my system goes back to the desktop everytime, but frozen.

When I replug my USB keyboard & mouse, my mouse begins to work.

I can move all over the screen, but can't click on anything.

Thats basicly the main problem at the moment...

I've enabled speedstep and Enhanced C1.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I tried 1046 on my D945G and have the same issue than with 1048/49...

but didn't get this issue on D915G mobo even with 1048/49

perhaps I could clone partition from 915 to 945 to see what happend...

just a detail I think but on D915 computer says ACPI platform

and on D945 it says ADP2.1....

there's not a Guru who gets this issue ???

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...70&hl=sleep

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I have some information which may be helpful. I feel like I'm getting pretty close.

Hardware: HP Pavilion dv1610us (dv1000 series) laptop

GMA 900 (with pin 1-6 and 2-12 shorted VGA dongle to correct blue screen on bootup issue)

i915 chipset

Intel Celeron M processor (SSE2 unfortunately)

Broadcom 4318 wireless chipset (works with WirelessSupport.pkg from JaS 10.4.6)

Sleep/wake worked fine in 10.4.6 and 10.4.7, both JaS releases, although there was a ~20 sec delay upon waking up before computer was usable. But consistent & reliable behavior.

10.4.8 JaS, semthex sse2/sse3 kernel. Computer sleeps, but upon wake, some hardware turns on, but display and wireless never turn on. Frozen, must reboot.

Updated to 10.4.9 with JaS SSE3-only combo updater, then immediately replaced /mach_kernel with 10.4.9 SSE2 kernel from IRC. Same sleep/wake behavior as 10.4.8.

Now for the interesting part. I took /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext from 10.4.6 (the working sleep version) and put it in 10.4.9. Fixed permissions, rebooted, everything booted up fine. Sleeps fine, wakes up, display turns on, wireless turns on. However, system is initially frozen, and takes ~1-2 minutes to become responsive again (the system boots up in about 30 seconds, so this isn't too helpful!). If I sleep and wake the computer again, it takes roughly 20 minutes for the system to unfreeze, but it always eventually unfreezes. During the delay the trackpad is also working and I can move the cursor. However, after a while, during the freeze, the beach-ball of death appears, and it is not even spinning (yes, a FROZEN beach-ball of death!). If I reboot, the cycle starts again, 1-2 minutes on the first sleep, 20 minutes on the second sleep for a usable system.

This would indicate that AppleACPIPlatform.kext is key in getting this working. However its interaction with the kernel, or perhaps other kexts is resulting in this massive delay. I tried looking for evidence of a kernel panic upon wake (/Library/log/panic.log wasn't there) but couldn't find anything.

Anyone has comments/ideas on this?

lighthouze: thanks for posting... that does sound interesting! i might give the 10.4.6 version a try.

I would be interested to know your results. I also forgot to mention that, since semthex's 10.4.8 kernel also works in 10.4.9, I replaced the IRC 10.4.9 kernel with the 10.4.8 kernel. The desired behavior with the 10.4.6 AppleACPIPlatform.kext did NOT occur with this kernel-it slept, and upon wake, the screen and wireless refused to turn on. Replace the IRC 10.4.9 kernel and you're back in business.

So kernel is important too, and this is why I think something needs to change in the 10.4.9 kernel before we can get real, ultra-fast wake-up, perhaps without even changing anything in the ACPI kext.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

just wanted to report that sleep (S3) works again after replacing PowerManagement.bundle and AppleSMBIOS.kext from 10.4.3.

All USB devices are working (after repl AppleSMBIOS) + NIC gets activated again after sleep (PM.bundle) :P

Hi there,

just wanted to report that sleep (S3) works again after replacing PowerManagement.bundle and AppleSMBIOS.kext from 10.4.3.

All USB devices are working (after repl AppleSMBIOS) + NIC gets activated again after sleep (PM.bundle) ;)

Great find, could you please upload the PM-bundle and kext from 10.4.3? Amazing that it works, since the combination of GMA950 (difficult to wake up display) and no AHCI-harddrive sound problematic for getting sleep to work.

Will try this right away as my computer goes to sleep and just restarts when I move the mouse. Thanks eberts. Will let everyone know how it worked for me!

Tried it but it didn't worked for me. Checking on my system info, I found that my computer doesn't detect my synchmaster 914v. This might be why I get a full restart:

Intel GMA 950:

Chipset Model: GMA 950

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of shared system memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2772

Revision ID: 0x0002

Displays:

Display:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Tried it on a Dell Inspiron E1505/6400 (GMA950). Successfully goes to sleep (powerlight fading), wakes up, but display stays black. Plugging in an external TFT didnt work.

I really need to get the display wakeup working to enable the dual core workaround. So far I can only run with one core, going to sleep and waking up would fix this.

I've tried and doesn't work for me, when I try to wake up, the computer restarts :)

I've never been able to get sleep working with my p5ld2-vw, e6400 and 7600gt, i don't know if its because the IDE hdd or what...

Thank you eberts anyway :D