[Discussion] Intel i225-V on macOS Monterey

Irish_Man
380 posts in this topic

I've been fighting on this issue for the last few days.

I have the same behavior on my X299.  I210 is not working. I219 is fine. The weirdest thing is that all my devices are properly reported in Hackintool & About this Mac/System report ethernet & Pci.

If I switch the ethernet cable from i219 to i210 i still get nothing in network preferences " Either the cable for Ethernet I210 (2) is not plugged in or the device at the other end is not responding."

The light never turn green. Even when the i210 is plugged on cold boot. 

I have tried different kexts including the modified from @Shaneee from another forum. Nothing works. ( i210 didn't need any kext in Mojave to work ). 

To make the matter worse if I decide to turn off the i219 from the submenu in network prefs ( see below ) I get an instant KP. Never happened before.  Can anyone confirm a KP by switching OFF their IPV4?

i210 was reported working in beta7 & beta 8. 

PS: I disabled the DisableIOMapper Quirk. Vt-d in BIOS is enabled. Also tried with boot arg:  dk.e1000=0

PS: Also tried changing Device ID & disabling Vt-d in BIOS as suggested here:

https://github.com/dortania/bugtracker/issues/213

resulting in KP when cable is connected to i210. 

Will try the DMAR solution soon.

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 12.09.58.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 12.08.50.png

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Ellybz said:

I have the same behavior on my X299.  I210 is not working. I219 is fine. The weirdest thing is that all my devices are properly reported in Hackintool & About this Mac/System report ethernet & Pci.

If I switch the ethernet cable from i219 to i210 i still get nothing in network preferences " Either the cable for Ethernet I210 (2) is not plugged in or the device at the other end is not responding."

I have tried different kexts including the modified from @Shaneee from another forum. Nothing works. ( i210 didn't need any kext in Mojave to work ). 

To make the matter worse if I decide to turn off the i219 from the submenu in network prefs ( see below ) I get an instant KP. Never happened before.  Can anyone confirm a KP by switching OFF their IPV4?

PS: I disabled the DisableIOMapper Quirk. Vt-d in BIOS is enabled. Also tried with boot arg:  dk.e1000=0

Shouldn't BSD name be en0?? I don't think it will fix it but just a thing I noticed on your pics.

Edited by Irish_Man
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Irish_Man said:

Shouldn't BSD name be en0?? I don't think it will fix it but just a thing I noticed on your pics.

I219 is en0 ( Main ethernet port ); Wifi is en1 ( see pic No 2 )

i210 is the extra ethernet port so BSD names are correct. I even trash/reset several times the system prefs. 

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 3

On 11/2/2021 at 8:15 PM, Ellybz said:

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 12.09.58.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 12.08.50.png

Have you tried using "dk.e1000=0" (without quotes) in your config.plist boot-args? This argument will disable the new DEXT driver and force the system to load an old one. So basically it will disable DriverKit_AppleEthernetE1000 driver.

@xtddd I am using a tiny, dirt cheap D-Link DGE-260T which was lying around. With @Mieze 's  RealtekRTL8111.kext V 2.4.2, patched with the PCIID for this NIC (0x43001186) it just works like a dream, with all functions you can think of being available on my GA-7490 Vision G build, even "wake for network access". Thank you @Slicefor originally prompting me into this patching "direction" 

Attached is a screenshot as to where in the IOKitPersonalities section of the Info.plist the PCIID patch 0x43001186 has to go, also note that it has to "live" in that position by itself, sharing with other PCIID's will not lead to success.

The only problem is that one looses a precious and scarce PCIe slot, especially on the mobo I am using with a wide GPU already taking up 3 slot positions, but that is life. I am hoping that sometime down the line I can revert back to the onboard i225-V NIC.

Greeting Henties

RTL8111.kext patch.png

• Like 2

As @Henties mentioned , Losing Pcie Slot is for ethernet is not really an option for me a this point. My i219 still works, I was considering using the second ethernet port for another audio interface with Dante protocol but there's no hurry. 

Also, As the i210 port was working on previous Beta version of Monterrey (7/8) I'm still hoping Apple might fix the bug in future releases. 

On worst case scenarios there are still other options like:

USB to Gigabit Ethernet adapter ($ 14.99 USD on Amazon )

-Thunderbolt Dock with ethernet port built in

@bidero  I stated in one of my previous ( long ) post trying the boot arg dk.e1000=0 with no positive response.

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, xtddd said:

@5T33Z0 hi,,which pci lan card did you buy?  thank you

Dell Intel PRO/1000 Dual Port Server Adapter. Works oob. Single port do as well, I guess.

On 8/3/2021 at 3:14 PM, MacWill said:

As already mentioned here on the forum, the z490 motherboard has a first version ethernet card and is incompatible with Monterey. The Z590 motherboard has the same network card with a second revision and has no compatibility and configuration issues. See the remark at the beginning of the topic.

I have a working v225-i on a z490 board on Monterey. It works with just a boot argument dk.e1000=0.

On a B550 ryzen board, the card did stop working on Monterey, but was working on Big Sur. So it is hit and miss situation. Not sure why it works in some/most cases and does not work in some.

• Like 3

The Intel Pro/1000 has an Intel 82546GB Controller which also uses AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext.

Edited by 5T33Z0

39 minutes ago, xtddd said:

great,, what about the performance of them? thank you

The N360T actually performs a lot better than my I211 using SmallTree kext or any other kexts for that matter (I tested all the kexts that I could find) so i'm pretty happy with it unless Apple removes the support for this card in upcoming releases of Monterey 🙃

• Like 1