[Discussion] Intel i225-V on macOS Monterey

Irish_Man
380 posts in this topic

Guest 5T33Z0
On 8/3/2021 at 7:11 AM, surenmunoo said:

355672634_ScreenShot2021-08-03at5_11_01PM.thumb.png.4560f354779c6e8756854007be41fab1.png

From what I saw of your posts, it looks like you are NOT using the i225 Controller but the I219. Because the I219-V on the Vision D Board is controller number one (en0) and it shows up in Network Settings as "Ethernet" whereas the I225 Controller (en1) is "Ethernet2" unless you changed the names manually. Are you sure your LAN cable is connected to the red socket and not the black one?

1 hour ago, 5T33Z0 said:

From what I saw of your posts, it looks like you are NOT using the i225 Controller but the I219. Because the I219-V on the Vision D Board is controller number one (en0) and it shows up in Network Settings as "Ethernet" whereas the I225 Controller (en1) is "Ethernet2" unless you changed the names manually. Are you sure your LAN cable is connected to the red socket and not the black one?

Yup, I am using the red network port at the back. I am sure I proved that by now that both my network ports work. If you refer to the pictures I posted you will see speed tests from each port with wifi disabled. 

2 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

@surenmunooOkay, cool. But how did you configure it? DeviceProperties, boot-args, Network settings etc. Because looking at screenshots doesn't fix my issue!

MY EFI(excluding the kexts folder and serial numbers) is linked to a post from in in page 2. I use a boot arg with nothing else and it just works. 

@surenmunoo I am also interested in getting my i225-v onboard controller working properly under Monterey beta whatever, presently beta 5, therefore I had a very detailed look at your EFI folder but I could not find anything that I believe would make my i225-V working reliably. Why yours is working remains a mystery to me.

I have therefore attached my EFI folder with the "Generic" section containing my serial etc. removed. To reduce the size of the upload I also removed the "Resources" folder, this single EFI is used for both Big Sur as well as Monterey, in a multi boot configuration, as can be seen from my comments added at the beginning of the config.plist file. I kept the kexts I use in as I believe they might be the key why my i225-V is not working reliably, whereas yours is, but as I don't know which kexts you are using I can only get this working with your assistance.

I would be grateful, of cause time permitting, if you could analyse my EFI and suggest what I should add and or remove, to get my i225-V working reliably the same way yours is working.

Greetings Henties

EFI.zip

2 hours ago, Henties said:

@surenmunoo I am also interested in getting my i225-v onboard controller working properly under Monterey beta whatever, presently beta 5, therefore I had a very detailed look at your EFI folder but I could not find anything that I believe would make my i225-V working reliably. Why yours is working remains a mystery to me.

I have therefore attached my EFI folder with the "Generic" section containing my serial etc. removed. To reduce the size of the upload I also removed the "Resources" folder, this single EFI is used for both Big Sur as well as Monterey, in a multi boot configuration, as can be seen from my comments added at the beginning of the config.plist file. I kept the kexts I use in as I believe they might be the key why my i225-V is not working reliably, whereas yours is, but as I don't know which kexts you are using I can only get this working with your assistance.

I would be grateful, of cause time permitting, if you could analyse my EFI and suggest what I should add and or remove, to get my i225-V working reliably the same way yours is working.

Greetings Henties

EFI.zip 2.55 MB · 0 downloads

I will try your EFI on my system later this evening when I get home from work, will post my results back here. 

12 hours ago, Henties said:

Greetings Henties

EFI.zip 2.55 MB · 1 download

Hey Mate, I tried with your refi for the last hour and I just cannot get it to work. I changed/removed your kexts and loaded mine, added the SSDT's that I have, put in my boot args but nothing works with your EFI. I boot with my EFI and all works properly. Have your tried my EFI and see if it works for you. Put it in a usb and test it out. 

Guest 5T33Z0

@surenmunoo @Henties

I had a look at both of your EFIs. Thanks for sharing. Besides the fact one of you uses a Vision G and one a Vision D Board, I noticed both of you have added all the DeviceProperies from Hackintool. Besides that I can't see anything else distinct related to networking to why the I225 works for you and not for me. Maybe I'll try importing all the DeviceProperties of existing PCI Devices as well for testing.

But As far as I am aware, adding DeviceProperties found by Hackintool to the config is redundant, since you are adding in PCI Devices the system already detected anyway. From my understanding, you only need to add DeviceProperties for devices which you want to change certain properties of. or am I wrong?

Edited by 5T33Z0

@5T33Z0 In my EFI I have only added the "Device Properties" that are needed. The i225-V controller is also currently disabled in  my EFI 

by commenting out the line containing the dk.e1000=0 boot argument. I did this because the i225-V has become unusable, in my 2 rigs at least, and when booting into Monterey beta 5. I now rely on the Aquantia PCIe NIC for networking and a UGREEN gigabit dongle for my 2nd network port used for my DANTE audio backbone. Everything works honkey dory the way my EFI is configured for both my Vision G builds. Just wandering if there is something wrong with the counters on this board, the EFI.zip that I posted was only opened/downloaded once, yet 2 different people are ostensibly testing this EFI. Strange things, making me wander, happen in strange places. :-)

Greetings Henties

1 hour ago, Henties said:

@surenmunoo Just wandering how I should try your EFI when the copy that you provided is incomplete with an empty kext folder?

Greetings Henties

@HentiesThe kext folder is big so it does not allow me to upload it here even when compressed. Can you not find those kexts that I have under kernel and add them into a kext folder? I will be happy to share it if there is a way. I highly recommend getting hold of a mod on here @MaLd0n, he is the best I have seen and used so far in getting everything working. I also have his EFI in which he creates a proper DSDT way for you but I have not put that in as yet because I am waiting for my new RX6800XT then will send him my file to create a proper DSDT for my system which will then be complete. Hit him up, he is the BEST.

@5T33Z0 The device properties I have loaded would not help the i225-V to work as I do not have that specific device prop loaded, I added the rest of the prop in from Hackintool as I was playing around between my i7 11700K CPU and i7 10700K cpu and just left them in there. 

@surenmunoo How can I find and add your kexts ? and I quote  "Can you not find those kexts that I have under kernel and add them into a kext folder?, When I do not even know what kext versions you have in your kext folder, because the version numbers are important, if I still  wanted to test your EFI folder on my system. But don't bother, because I have no inclination to fill my EFI kext folder to the brim with kexts that are most likely superfluous to get my i225-V working properly. All the essential kexts, to make my system run smoothly, have been chosen, and where necesary adapted, and installed by me personally, the same applies to the contents of my ACPI folder. I believe that if I were to put anything else into these folders I would just provide these items with a free ride without any benefit whatsoever. As a matter of principle I am just never using SSDT's and or kexts when I do not know precisely what their purpose is, I am therefore going to wait for the next Monterey beta to surface, and then test again. 

Greetings Henties

I've tried everything I can to get my ethernet working but no luck. I've tried both of your EFI folders and still no luck. Btw, tnx for uploading. The green light is there but no connection.

2095026488_Screenshot2021-08-16at22_38_18.thumb.png.c13cc389b3765d283adf764f959b58cb.png

BTW, Bluetooth is not on the list (don't know why) but it's working fine.

• Like 1

Guest 5T33Z0

Can anyone recommend a Network Card (Gigabit Ethernet is enough) which is compatible with Mojave all the way up to Monterey? Probabyl something where a Kext exists for, I guess.

Because I managed to create a config for legacy systems since I have some old Apps and Audio Plugins which are 32 bit only, so I have to use Mojave from time to time. And not be able to have acces to the internet really suuuucks.

Guest 5T33Z0

@Henties I've tried your EFI. Thanks for sharing. Still no Internet, unfortunately. I only added my Generic System Info and deactivated the Device Property for your 10 Gbit NIC. I guess it doesn't work because I am relying on a 100baseTX connection. It's the only rational explanation for me at this point.

@5T33Z0 Sorry to hear that the i225-V connectivity problems persist. I must however admit that with Monterey beta 5, the problems with the i225-V onboard controller, on our boards, deteriorated to the extent that I personally and for the time being opted to not use this NIC interface at all and rather rely on the Aquantia on my the experimental Vision G workstation, where I have installed it because I had a free PCIe slot with 4 lane capability available on this particular hack, which I must say, works extremely well.  I am glad you tried my EFI. You will certainly have noticed that I prefer to choose kexts, as well as SSDTs that are essential, and required to ensure a stable working system, on the platforms we are both using. Feeding the system with kexts as well as SSDTs ad infinitum, until the available 200 MB space in the EFI partition is exhausted , in the hope that one or other of the "additions" will present me with a reliable environment, is just not the way I hack.

I will continue to monitor this thread and report back as soon I am aware of a solution to this particular problem with the

i225-V on Monterey.

Greetings Henties

• Thanks 1

Guest 5T33Z0

The HP NC360T Network Card arrived today. Working OOB as promised in Mojave and Monterey. I am wondering: do I have to change the ROM of the PlatformInfos now since it's the MAC-Addesssof the I-225 NIC but the cable is now connected to the HP card? I would like to avoid having to change the MAC Adress in the config, because a lot of audio plugins use the MAC Address for authorization. I've noticed that with this card I had to disable the "dk.e1000=0" boot-arg for Monterey otherwise the machine would freeze during boot.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-24 um 13.59.18.png

Edited by 5T33Z0

• 4 weeks later...

So, in the night from Saturday to Sunday (of course) my Router decided to die on me after 12 or 13 years . So now I have a TP Link Archer 6 which is 1 Gigabit Router with 2,4 and 5 GHz WiFI.

So since it is a new router, I though I give the I225 another again under Monterey (21A5506j) – still no luck. Well it says it's connected but I can't get Data from the net, so it's not really connected :D

Glad I got that PRO/1000 PT LP Gigabit Dual Port Card. Still working fine.

@5T33Z0 I also ordered one of those dual port pcie addon ethernet cards for US$ 10.00 from ebay, haven't received it yet but in essence, for the time being at least, have given up on the i225-V onboard controller with Monterey. However one never knows, perhaps this will somehow work with one of the next Monterey betas, as was the case with Big Sur.

Greetings Henties

• Like 1