[Discussion] Intel i225-V on macOS Monterey

Irish_Man
380 posts in this topic

Guest 5T33Z0

@geforcefan But did you read the rest of the section: "Values highlighted in green are the ones that were changed in order to make the controller work again."

So, unless you use one of the fixes no Internet for you.

12 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

@geforcefan But did you read the rest of the section: "Values highlighted in green are the ones that were changed in order to make the controller work again."

So, unless you use one of the fixes no Internet for you.

nevermind, I had to reset my router and all lan settings, reverted to my original firmware, works like a charm... its was just reseting my router settings....

Edited by geforcefan

Guest 5T33Z0

Okay, thanks for the info. I have updated the instructions so that users analyze the firmware, etc. before applying a patch.

I'm still trying to figure out what has changed about my Ethernet.

After I fleshed it, AppleVTD got pretty high up in the IORegistryExplorer and everything was working fine.

Edit: VT-D must be enabled in Bios and DisableIOMapper unchecked in .plist

Edited by Irish_Man

• 7 months later...

For what it's worth here's my experience, in case anyone else is in a similar situation

SPOILER - The 225 NIC somehow changed it's MAC address to be identical to the 219, unbeknownst to me how this happened as it was pre flashing or anything.

Sticking to Big Sur (11.7.3) for now

running OC 0.8.8

Have a z490 Vision D + 5700XT + i10900k 

Noticed I had lost both my 219 and 225 ethernet controllers once I updated Big Sur and opencore to most recent versions which brought me to this forum

I then removed smalltree kext for the 219 and that controller started to work again, however after waking from sleep that stopped working and gave me a random 169 IP address.  which is why I wanted to try to get the 225 to work.

I'm also running a Fenvi T919 wifi card

As well as an TP-Link Aquantina AQC107 10GB ethernet PCI card - linked directly on a different subnet to a seperate hackintosh with AQC107 that I'm using a "server" running 10.7.3/0.8.8 for hard drive storage (i.e no internet just local LAN)

I tried the many different suggestions from @badbrain and guest 5t33z0's github walkthroughs

- tried the ssdt, the dmar droping/rename, - did not work

- tried the terminal commands

- tried the flash of the eeprom to the mod'd firmware - did not work, and caused all both the Fenvi and 219 to stop working

WHAT I DID NOTICE WAS STRANGE:

Before even flashing the i225 in the bios I noticed that both Lan 219 and 225 controllers had the same MAC address!  Luckily I had setup up static routes in the past with my router for each device connected to my network, and was able to find what the MAC address was originally (was showing as offline).

Using the flashing tool I re-flashed my original ROM (which interestingly enough already had the correct subclass/vendor settings upon reviewing the HEX) and in the GUI replaced the hex directly of the duplicate MAC address with original MAC address which was just one letter difference, both MAC addresses are the same except the 219 ended in DD and 225 in DF.  For the life of me I don't think I'll ever know how the both NIC's ended up getting the same MAC address.

SO POINT OF THE STORY:

If everything else is failing, in your bios check if your MAC address for both LAN controllers are duplicates.  If that's the case, Mac OS will never be able to assign the card as a network device because they can't be the same.  Use the flashing tool to modify the MAC address to whatever it was before, in my case the 2nd to next letter in the alphabet (D -> F).  Just notice the order with HEX is not exactly read from left to right.

So my current settings

FIRMWARE:

Stock firmware with the MAC address corrected back to original

BIOS:

VT-D - Enabled (this is required for the AQC107 card as well)

Config:

ACPI - no dmar drop/replace/ssdt-225

Device Properties - 225 removed

Kernel - no FakePCIID or small tree

Kernel/Quirks/ - Disable IO Mapper - Enabled (curious if when updating to Monterey if this will need to change/break anything)

Kernel/Patch/ - Marvell AQC107 10GBE Patch - Find 41C70424 00000000 E9 Replace 41C70424 01000000 E9 (this for the AQC107 to work, again not sure what will happen once updating to Monterey seems like some firmware issue as well with these cards)

Boot-Args - dk.e1000=0

• Thanks 1