[Discussion] Intel i225-V on macOS Monterey

Irish_Man
380 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Irish_Man said:

What do you use for csr-active-config?

Ok I'd forgotten to reset the NVRAM. Once that was done I got a KP complaining that the KC UUID didn't match. Ran csrutil disable from recovery and it booted up again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shaneee said:

Ok I'd forgotten to reset the NVRAM. Once that was done I got a KP complaining that the KC UUID didn't match. Ran csrutil disable from recovery and it booted up again.

I see :)

We need some help from someone who's good with patches so we dont have to go through this after every single update

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tecnicaso Rico said:

I read in other forum recently that injecting compatible device id F2158680 or F3158680 in Device Properties fixes Intel i225-V on Big Sur and Monterey.

Note: This was test on Rev 0x03

This method was for Catalina up to Big Sur 11.3, when the Controller wasn't supported natively.

–  you would add F2150000 (8680 = Vendor mask for Intel, unnecessary. slows down boot) in DeviceProperties

– then you add a kernel patch to rename it to F3150000 and then it worked

For Big Sur 11.4 and newer this construction is not required.

This has been discussed before: https://github.com/dortania/bugtracker/issues/213

Don't know what the revision of the I225 on the Z490 Vision G board is, but this old method does not work.

6 hours ago, xtddd said:

i disable sip on the monterey recovery mode and then i enable sip again,but cant boot the monterey os...how to fix it?

You have to keep SIP disabled and SecureBootModel disabled also. 
if you already replaced the kexts, fix your .plist and you will be able to boot

• Like 2

8 hours ago, xtddd said:

@Shaneee what is the chip mode inside?

It's a Realtek chip and from what I can tell it's a RTL8156.

USB 10/100/1G/2.5G LAN:

Bus:	USB
  Vendor Name:	Realtek
  Product Name:	USB 10/100/1G/2.5G LAN
  Vendor ID:	0x0bda
  Product ID:	0x8156
  USB Link Speed:	Up to 5 Gb/s
  Driver:	com.apple.driver.usb.cdc.ncm
  BSD Device Name:	en3
  MAC Address:	00:e0:4c:83:1d:91
  AVB Support:	No
  Maximum Link Speed:	2.5 Gb/s

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guys, I am curious - what exactly do you use this for, and how? :) 

EDIT: Do you maybe need to often move/copy large files from one Mac computer to another PC/Mac in your local network?

Such as -- huge video files, Sony Vegas/Adobe Premiere video project files, or maybe Adobe Photoshop projects? :)

EDIT #2: One other large file type would be virtual machines, but I am not sure why one would need to often copy those around 2-3 computers.

And you still need a 2nd computer with the same thing, and/or need a WiFi router or LAN switch with 2.5G support to use it fully, yes?

I think such routers that have 2.5 GB LAN ports are prohibitively expensive for now, correct? So not easily accessible to most standard customers/computer users.

(LAN switch probably a possible method, as those are cheaper. :) )

Edited by Naki

46 minutes ago, Aluveitie said:

I’m using the QNAP QNA-UC5G1T (https://www.qnap.com/en/product/qna-uc5g1t). Since it is using 5GBit/s USB you can get about 4 GBit/s over Ethernet. Requires a Kext from Marvell to go past 1000Base-T.

Thanks for the info, sounds like a good option. 

Some follow-up questions, if I may --> 

1) You mean this is slightly bottlenecked, but not a lot, yes? :) 

2) How much does this thing cost? What is the warranty period?

3) Still not sure how you use it to connect 2, 3 or more computers in a quick way? Do you have a 5GB LAN switch for example?

OR do you simply connect TWO Mac computers via a LAN cable, no router/switch involved but a direct connection? :) 

Edited by Naki

@Naki

1) Yes, there is some USB Protocol overhead that comes on top of Ethernet

2) About 85$ when I bought it, 2 years of warranty

3) I have a Netgear Multigigabit switch in the basement which has a range of 1G, 2.5G, 5G, and 10G ports. NAS is also connected to it with 10G. I also have a small 10G switch in the office where my PC is connected to. If I’d have another PCI slot I’d have gone with a 10G NIC instead.

The switch offers me enough 2.5G ports to upgrade my home to Wifi 6E sometimes in the future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Irish_Man @Henties et. al. I am having bad news: I just updated to macOS 12.1 beta 3 (21C5039b) and the beta 8 networking kexts no longer work. I patched them in in Post-Install. I am so done with this board as far as the Ethernet Controlller is concerned.

Edited by 5T33Z0

@5T33Z0 I have already given up a long time ago, but am taking my hat off for your patience, and perseverance to try and find a solution with this i225-V onboard NIC on the GA-Z490 Vision G mobo. The sacrifice that I had to make is using the only spare PCIe slot available for a DGE-560 network card, the only make or rather model offered to purchase where I live, but I am extremely happy because it works like a dream in all respects, even "Wake on lan"

Greetings Henties

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1