[Discussion] Intel i225-V on macOS Monterey

Irish_Man
380 posts in this topic

That's cool.

But Apple dropped Support for Kepler GPUs in beta 7. And the price for the RX 580 sky rocketed to 850+ $ since the start of the pandamic - ridiculous. Fortunately, Chris1111 created a Patcher already.

Can anyone still boot into Catalina 10.15.7 on the Z490 Vision G? Don' know the exact built right now.

There was a security update like last week or so and since then I think the kernel patch "__Z18e1000_set_mac_typeP8e1000_hw" is broken. As soon as the device property and the patch for I225 is enabled, the system crashes at the end of the boot process. Only way to get it to boot is to disable the device property and kernel patch

On 9/29/2021 at 1:56 AM, Irish_Man said:

it didn't last long :)

Just updated to Beta 8 and my i225-V Ethernet is not working anymore. Bummer

Anyone else?

I wIll test it later. Is the installer fixed at least or was it a Delta update?

@Irish_Man Updated to build 12.0 Beta (21A5534d). Ethernet is still working.

Edited by 5T33Z0

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 5T33Z0

After installing beta 9 (21A5543b) the I225 controller doesn't work no more… what are they doing?

Edited by 5T33Z0

@5T33Z0 @Irish_Man Same here, i225-V stopped working after upgrading my Monterey test installation to beta 9. For me Monterey does not cut it yet  in my particular environment. In the interim I am happily plodding along with with Big Sur 11.6.1 without any issues whatsoever while at the same time waiting patiently for "better Monterey days. It seems to me that when Monterey is finally ready for me to jump on its "bandwagon" the first betas of its successor might already be seeded by Apple.

Greetings Henties

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Just installed the Monterey Release Version, 12.0.1 (21A559).

I225-V is not working for me. Back to using the PCI Lan Card.

I was hoping for a miracle 😂

Doing fresh install, i guess it wont work for me either. Will see in 30 min

I have two systems with i225-v and both no longer work under Monterey. Intel z490-g gaming from asus and b550 phantom gaming itx/ax from asrock. Stuck on wifi(

P.S. Actually i225 is working fine on the intel board with a boot argument as before, but it stopped on the ryzen system.

Edited by sash11

1 hour ago, sash11 said:

I have two systems with i225-v and both no longer work under Monterey. Intel z490-g gaming from asus and b550 phantom gaming itx/ax from asrock. Stuck on wifi(

P.S. Actually i225 is working fine on the intel board with a boot argument as before, but it stopped on the ryzen system.

What args do you use?

"Intel z490-g gaming from asus"

This maybe? ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming

Probabyly uses a different variant of the I225 Controller than the one used on the Gigabyte Z490 Vision G

Edited by 5T33Z0

31 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

I tried… didn't work. sorry.

Yeah, same here. I just tried, it didn't work. 

Is there a way to install IONetworkingFamily.kext from Beta 8, since that was the only release that my Ethernet worked natively. Even without args or kexts.

I have the kext but cant install it. Tried to use Kext Installer made by @chris1111 but it gives me "Runtime Script Error (Not authorized to send Apple events to Finder)."

SIP disabled. 

Edited by Irish_Man
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Irish_Man said:

Is there a way to install IONetworkingFamily.kext from Beta 8, since that was the only release that my Ethernet worked natively. Even without args or kexts.

I have the kext but cant install it. Tried to use Kext Installer made by @chris1111 but it gives me "Runtime Script Error (Not authorized to send Apple events to Finder)."

SIP disabled. 

2 hours ago, Irish_Man said:

SIP disabled. 

Workaround 

• Terminal command: ➤ tccutil reset SystemPolicyAllFiles
  • Reboot then retry
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

I remember looking into that kext for clues before, or better yet in the plists. I couldn't find any differences.

I think I found 5 lines that have different value/numbers. It won't let me to upload a picture, getting some errors.

@chris1111 , unfortunately that fix didnt work :(

Edited by Irish_Man

20 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

I remember looking into that kext for clues before, or better yet in the plists. I couldn't find any differences.

It's more in the binary it's self. Compare the two with a hex tool and you'll see a huge difference.