[Discussion] Intel i225-V on macOS Monterey

Irish_Man
380 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

@Irish_Man @Henties et. al. I am having bad news: I just updated to macOS 12.1 beta 3 (21C5039b) and the beta 8 networking kexts no longer work. I patched them in in Post-Install. I am so done with this board as far as the Ethernet Controlller is concerned.

Dang, thats not a good news at all. Still haven't updated to Beta 3 but I will this weekend. 

I will try to do the same. 

Hi @xtddd Attached 2 x screenshots depicting the "chip mode" - operating mode - for the DGE-560T on all of my hacks. Hoping this is the information you were actually asking for.

Greetings Henties

Power settings with a DGE-560T.png

DGE-560T chip mode.png

Edited by Henties
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Irish_Man said:

Dang, I ordered the same but amazon cancelled the order because the seller didn't confirm the order. 

I can't find it on US amazon.

Any other suggestion? Anyone. 

Available in the US from several vendors

USB 3.0 /USB-C or Thunderbolt to 2.5G Lan

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Ethernet-Adapter-Compatible-Thunderbolt/dp/B084L4JL9K/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=USB+C+to+Ethernet+Adapter+2.5G&qid=1639421109&sr=8-4

Regular USB3.1 -> Lan:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08989MYQ2/ref=vp_d_pb_TIER3_sessmpr_lp_B084L4JL9K_pd?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B08989MYQ2&pd_rd_w=Hwn1v&pf_rd_p=97e8de0d-97b9-4dbd-a111-de3444373e29&pf_rd_r=3NTFZ565T330F7J3V0P5&pd_rd_r=a29754d4-551e-4003-91e5-5b54d1772eae&pd_rd_wg=qsbEx

Edited by Ellybz

1 minute ago, Ellybz said:

Thank you, is this the one that you using and it's working?

4 minutes ago, Irish_Man said:

Thank you, is this the one that you using and it's working?

No, but several Mac users confirm functionality.

Prime is 1 day delivery and worse case scenario, Amazon US is outstanding with returns.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I'm Running MacOS Monterey 12.2.1 on Z490 Vision G Motherboard.

Since the onboard Intel I225 Ethernet no longer works with Monterey can anyone recommend a natively supported PCIe LAN card that works with Monterey ?

Currently my local LAN is 1Gb (T1000) and I only have one PCIe X1 slot available so this would be my minimum requirement.

That said I may update to update to 2.5Gb in the future.

I would prefer to use PCIe ethernet card rather than USB Ethernet adapter as my understanding is that most USB Ethernet adapters rely on the CPU/Driver kext for processing data packets rather than pcocessing them on the LAN interface chip, but am happy to be proved wrong if this is not the case.

Seems to me that we are in need of a dedicated list of supported Lan interfaces for Monterey as specific compatibility seems to lacking on most manufactures and web store sites.

Any advice kindly appreciated.

Cheers

Jay

On 2/19/2022 at 12:15 PM, jaymonkey said:

Hi Guys,

I'm Running MacOS Monterey 12.2.1 on Z490 Vision G Motherboard.

Since the onboard Intel I225 Ethernet no longer works with Monterey can anyone recommend a natively supported PCIe LAN card that works with Monterey ?

Currently my local LAN is 1Gb (T1000) and I only have one PCIe X1 slot available so this would be my minimum requirement.

That said I may update to update to 2.5Gb in the future.

I would prefer to use PCIe ethernet card rather than USB Ethernet adapter as my understanding is that most USB Ethernet adapters rely on the CPU/Driver kext for processing data packets rather than pcocessing them on the LAN interface chip, but am happy to be proved wrong if this is not the case.

@Henties makes a very strong case for the D-Link DGE-560T. It's a 1Gb PCie X1 card which uses the RTL8111 chip.  It's dirt cheap ($17 on Amazon) and works exactly as he describes.  Although you emphasized that you wanted a natively supported card, the RealtekRT8111.kext is excellent and well-maintained by @Mieze.

(https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/348493-discussion-intel-i225-v-on-macos-monterey/?do=findComment&comment=2771846)

I have used the  Intel® PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter. While it is supposedly natively supported, I have not had reliable results.  On two separate hacks using both Monterey and Big Sur, maximum ethernet transfers caused it to frequently crash.  I did a search on this problem and discovered that this has been well described by others (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/intel-pro-1000-dies-under-heavy-load.94040/). This card also requires a PCIe x2 slot which does not fit your requirement.

Regarding 2.5Gb cards, I have tried this one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L8PK1SF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which uses the RTL8125 chip. This too is not natively supported but has a kext maintained by @Mieze.   Although this card worked reasonably well, it was a bit temperamental.  I had to use manual settings as it frequently defaulted to T100 on Auto.  It also did not awaken from sleep which was a deal breaker for me.  Although a different variation of this card may have produced more reliable results, I have reached the same conclusion as others that 2.5Gb is worthless.  Your next move should be at least 10Gb. Personally, that type of transition is really difficult to economically justify. 

I share your dislike for USB Ethernet adapters. I have experimented with a couple and can confirm that CPU performance definitely takes a hit with high speed transfers.

In conclusion, based on my experience using several PCIe cards, the D-Link DGE-560T is as close to "native" as you are going to get. If you do decide to try this card, pay special attention to which version you receive. As pointed out in the above post from @Henties, the B1 version (which I have) requires a change in the PCIID adjustment in the kext info.plist.  

Edited by MacGeoDoc
spelling
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

If anyone is still interested My I210/225 is now working properly on Monterey 12.3. Solution is not elegant but here it is:

Step by step process ( takes less than 5 minutes )

• Boot arg:  e1000=0
  • No device properties or I210/225 kext needed in EFI.
  • VT-D is enabled, no need to drop DMAR tables. Quirk DisableIoMapper is set to YES.
  • ( Edit ) Only 2 things needed: 

1- Command line SnapShot Mounter by @chris1111

2- IOPCIFamily.kext : ( From Monterey Beta 8 ). Patch for this kext anyone?

Instructions:

Launch the app , mount snapshot (A), enter the name of partition disk where Monterey is installed, Install kexts (B/ via App )

Frameworks: N

PrivateFrameworks: N

Kexts: Y

Select the kext attached.

Reboot. Done!  ( works also after wake from sleep )

625709561_ScreenShot2022-03-20at12_16_29PM.png.5e4aef31e80860a67d002a7b493e6e68.png

CommandLineSnapShotMounter-V2.zip IOPCIFamily.kext.zip

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 4

Guest 5T33Z0

Sorry for OT, but it's urgent So I just wanted to try this network patch (again). Turned on my PC and – no picture. I think the GPU is dead. It's no longer recognized by System Profiler nor Windows Device Manager. I switched the framebuffer so I can use on-board graphics for display. But I am in the middle of a Sounddesign project right now and in dire need of 2 screens.

What would be a cheep AMD GPU I can use which will work with Monterey as well. Thanks

Edited by 5T33Z0

40 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Sorry for OT, but it's urgent So I just wanted to try this network patch (again). Turned on my PC and – no picture. I think the GPU is dead. It's no longer recognized by System Profiler nor Windows Device Manager. I switched the framebuffer so I can use on-board graphics for display. But I am in the middle of a Sounddesign project right now and in dire need of 2 screens.

What would be a cheep AMD GPU I can use which will work with Monterey as well. Thanks

RX 6600 XT

4 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

I don't do any work with  intensive GPU tasks & have a RX580 & WX4100 that works perfectly fine on Monterey. 

I got the WX4100 on amazon for $200. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072QN4D96/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just do audio work ( Protools, Cubase, MPC, Kontakt ). Still running a Quadruple setup Monitors with RX580 ( sometimes 5 ).

No lags or bugs ever.

Studio.thumb.jpg.75b385dc237d2cdd128139a9b524c169.jpg

• Like 3

Guest 5T33Z0

Great Studio.

RX 580 goes for about 850 € in Germany right now.

I'm getting another used GTX 760 for now until I can afford something modern (at retail prices, not ebay scalper prices)

@5T33Z0

Not easy to find but as @Ellybz says Radeon Pro WX 4100 4GB around 200-250€ working ok in Big Sur and Monterey with Lilu and WhateverGreen, no boot-arg needed. GeekBench 5 around 20000.

RX 6600 8Gb starting at 400€ in a Spanish web store Pccomponentes where I bought my RX 6600 XT (530€, GeekBench 5 around 80000) a month ago, GeekBench 5 around 65000, agdpmod=pikera needed.

@Ellybz

Awesome musical studio!

Edited by miliuco

• 2 weeks later...

I had some time yesterday and looked at different boards with the Intel Foxville I225-V Ethernet Controller (Spec Code: SLNJY) v2. I think I have found a solution for the I225-V on the Z490 platform and I am looking for someone who is willing to test it.

The problem mainly affects the Z490 boards from Gigabyte, although there are also some where it does not occur. For example, I had two Z490 Vision D here, one of which was affected and one not, although the same chip was installed.

Who is now ready to try this, hopefully, for all working solution, may report here.