OpenCanopy Icons

blackosx
1,484 posts in this topic

I have the latest build installed.

First test (Using my Qemu dmg)

Try the automatically detected macOS version and icon usage. For this test I'm using PickerAttribute 144 (0x90) which is made from 0x10 for the POINTER CONTROL and 0x80 for the FLAVOUR ICON. I dropped in some icons for different macOS version, so Apple10_4.icns, Apple_10_5.icns... Apple11.icns as explained in the flavours.md

Success.. All icons are displayed without having to add icons as .VolumeIcons. This is so much simpler than before....

Edited by blackosx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blackosx said:

I have the latest build installed.

First test (Using my Qemu dmg)

Try the automatically detected macOS version and icon usage. For this test I'm using PickerAttribute 144 (0x90) which is made from 0x10 for the POINTER CONTROL and 0x80 for the FLAVOUR ICON. I dropped in some icons for different macOS version, so Apple10_4.icns, Apple_10_5.icns... Apple11.icns as explained in the flavours.md

Success.. All icons are displayed without having to add icons as .VolumeIcons. This is so much simpler than before...

Thanks for the info. I think this month we are going to have many important news in OpenCanopy.
I understand the Flavour system and I think it is primarily intended for you, theme developers.
I just have one question: the custom icon to be associated with an Entry in the Flavour key is placed in the icon set folder of the active theme, right?

And you are right, this way it is easier to configure custom icons for Entries, you just have to include the icons in the Icon Set and configure the Flavour key.

Thanks again for all the info.

Yes. Its great. 

But it's for both the theme designer and the user. The theme designer can choose to supply a range of icons and the user now has a simple way to use them.

I've had time to do another couple of tests.

1 - Add /Volumes/Mavericks/System/Library/CoreServices/.contentFlavour

with content:

Mavericks:Apple

Then add Mavericks.icns to my theme dir and bingo. That icon is shown.

2 - Add /Volumes/WIN/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/.contentFlavour

with content:

Windows8:Windows

Then add Windows8.icns to my theme dir and bingo. That icon is shown.

But the main beauty of this, is if I now switch to another theme dir using PickerVariant (and that theme also contains the same icons), then those themes icons are now shown. If they're missing from the theme, then OC defaults back to the previous name in the flavour list, and failing that, default back to HardDrive.icns. So we no longer have to place icons anywhere but the theme dirs.

EDIT:

It should be just as simple for applying a Linux icon.

12 minutes ago, miliuco said:

I just have one question: the custom icon to be associated with an Entry in the Flavour key is placed in the icon set folder of the active theme, right?

Yes

Edited by blackosx
  • Like 4

@blackosx

Well, excellent explanation. Thanks !!!

By the way, Selected of the BsxM1 theme is wonderful, I like it very much (the whole theme but Selected ...)

Edited by miliuco
Text added.
  • Thanks 1

@miliuco - Thanks for asking @blackosx all the queries that will crop up no doubt, but I dare say you will do a simplified write up of 'How To' for those of us who has lost a few brain cells due to old age and dementia my self included. :hysterical:

Spoiler
Spoiler

:hysterical:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, miliuco said:

@eSaF

Yes. For people with incipient dementia I am already writing the usual text with these news. :D

Do you want an advance or do we wait for the final version in the first days of June?

I will wait my friend but then again with my dementia, tomorrow I will forget that I said I will wait. :hysterical:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

:). are those of @blackosx as always he did a big job : OpenCanopyIcons-master / Set5 / FlatTile in order not to be mistaken I downloaded them all :lol:

Thanks a million man - Yea @blackosx is the man!!!!!, I've been a fan of his work from the chameleon days also took a shine to @chris1111 work as well both talented individuals. 

• Like 5

I have another question.

I can plug an external disk with Big Sur and another external disk with Catalina in the same SATA case. Both systems use the same Entry created in OpenCore, pointing to the same UEFI path.

And I want OpenCanopy to show an icon for Catalina and another different icon for Big Sur.
Can I include in the theme folder the 2 icons, Apple11.icns and Apple10_15.icns, and write in the Flavours key 2 lists of elements,
Apple11:Apple and Apple10_15:Apple, separated in some way, or only a single list of elements?

Or must I to do it by /Volumes/Catalina/System/Library/CoreServices/.contentFlavour method?
Thanks.

Edited by miliuco

@eSaF.

As @antuneddu posted, they're here:

https://github.com/blackosx/OpenCanopyIcons/blob/master/Set5/FlatTile/FlatTile_342/preview_sheet_FlatTile_342.jpg

The only way to get these at the moment is to checkout the OpenCanopyIcons repo, but please note it's currently quite large!

git clone https://github.com/blackosx/OpenCanopyIcons.git

I need to create a downloader for these individual icon Set5 sets.. It's on my TO DO list.. please bear with me. 

My TO DO list is something like:

- Create a downloader script of the Set5 icon sets.

- The wish to provide updated icons to include the icons listed in flavours.md, for example the Linux icons. I've done this for the BsxMac1_ theme but not yet for the others. (Note. This is not essential for any theme and purely optional for any theme designer wishing to do so).

- Anything else. lol.

I'm going away next week for a break so nothing will be done during that time,

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, miliuco said:

I have another question.

I can plug an external disk with Big Sur and another external disk with Catalina in the same SATA case. Both systems use the same Entry created in OpenCore, pointing to the same UEFI path.

And I want OpenCanopy to show an icon for Catalina and another different icon for Big Sur.
Can I include in the theme folder the 2 icons, Apple11.icns and Apple10_15.icns, and write in the Flavours key 2 lists of elements,
Apple11:Apple and Apple10_15:Apple, separated in some way, or only a single list of elements?

Or must I to do it by /Volumes/Catalina/System/Library/CoreServices/.contentFlavour method?
Thanks.

I renamed the icon for catalina to Apple10_15.icns and it was detected by itself

1380276215_Schermata2021-05-19alle22_23_37.thumb.png.aa083e4ad8048571a61cfaabcd07d212.png1473424386_Schermata2021-05-19alle22_23_13.png.d09d9ec6b5fa9a90fe5571b98369025c.png

Edited by antuneddu
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, blackosx said:

I'm going away next week for a break so nothing will be done during that time,

Going away???!!! It will be chaos here I tell you - lol - Enjoy your break pal. :thumbsup_anim:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, miliuco said:

I have another question.

Thanks.

Both external disks have the same UEFI path?

The way I understand it, for automatically detected macOS versions, just including Apple11.icns and Apple10_15.icns should be enough providing you've set the correct PickerAttributes.

EDIT:

Actually, I believe you'll need ExtApple10_15.icns and ExtApple11.icns

4 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Going away???!!! It will be chaos here I tell you - lol - Enjoy your break pal. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks buddy. First break for the year. Looking forward to it.

I see you live in the UK too so you fully understand how life has been here.

Edited by blackosx
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, miliuco said:

But for Apple disks have you created an .contentFlavour file? Or simply put the different icons into the theme folder?

yes simply the different icon in the theme, I state that my discs are all internal 

• Like 2

@blackosx - Yes Bro I'm in good Ole Blighty- yea quite understand the need to get away and recharge the batteries specially what we just went through and not quite out of the woods as yet so grab the chance while you can.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, eSaF said:

@blackosx And now, what are we going to do??? :D

Enjoy!!!

3 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

yes simply the different icon in the theme, I state that my discs are all internal 

Thank you!!!

8 minutes ago, blackosx said:

Both external disks have the same UEFI path?

The way I understand it, for automatically detected macOS versions, just including Apple11.icns and Apple10_15.icns should be enough providing you've set the correct PickerAttributes.

EDIT:

Actually, I believe you'll need ExtApple10_15.icns and ExtApple11.icns...

Thank you!!!

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 2