OpenCanopy Icons

blackosx
1,491 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, eSaF said:

@Bmju - Thank you very much, your suggestions absolutely got me to this stage using the default Icons (see attached). Of course the real fun begins when I start using Icon Packs by different authors but I think I should be abled to get there by reading up instead of trying to wing it like I always do hoping something will stick. 

Hide contents

So now, to change themes, you just need to copy the .icns files from a new theme - keep the directory structure - and then change the value of PickerVariant - that is all!

As @miliuco says, you don't need to use flavours - you only need to specify flavours to customise exactly how icons are picked up from themes when it doesn't quite suit you how it works by default, but you don't have to use them just in order to change and use themes in the first place.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2021 at 8:18 PM, antuneddu said:

Schermata 2021-05-19 alle 20.05.57.png

I should probably know but... where do you get the matching background? Does @blackosx make those available somewhere else? (I had a look around the GitHub repos - probably just didn't look hard enough!)

Edited by Bmju
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bmju said:

So now, to change themes, you just need to copy the .icns files from a new theme - keep the directory structure - and then change the value of PickerVariant - that is all!

Thank you very much I have done quite a bit of reading on the subject so I am pretty confident I have the gist of it so much so that I have added a few more icon packs and was abled to switch between each one quite easily. :thumbsup_anim:

26 minutes ago, Bmju said:

I should probably know but... where do you get the matching background? Does @blackosx make those available somewhere else? (I had a look around the GitHub repos - probably just didn't look hard enough!)

@blackosx has some Acer backgrounds in /OpenCanopyIcons-master/Set3LE/GreenGlow/Backgrounds_ACER but they aren't this. @antuneddu surely knows the source or this background can be made by himself.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bmju said:

I've been concentrating on icons for now as I think it's more fun and easier for users to find/make their own backgrounds to their own taste, rather than for them to generate icon sets. Though I will maybe generate some backgrounds for any themes I produce.

I know @chris1111 has created many different backgrounds for his themes. Maybe we could do with some group 'backgrounds' repo where many users can submit their own creations for others to choose from?

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, miliuco said:

@blackosx has some Acer backgrounds in /OpenCanopyIcons-master/Set3LE/GreenGlow/Backgrounds_ACER but they aren't this. @antuneddu surely knows the source.

che passa :lol: I accentuated the logo  a little   sorry @blackosx.  @miliuco I did not understand, can't you find the backgrounds?acer-green.png

Schermata 2021-05-20 alle 21.53.34.png

Edited by antuneddu
  • Like 1

@antuneddu I am sure this query was answered before but may I ask how did you get the Apple Icon to appear before the Windows Icon in the Boot Menu? It bugs me every time as I was abled to correct that in my past Clover days.

3 minutes ago, eSaF said:

@antuneddu I am sure this query was answered before but may I ask how did you get the Apple Icon to appear before the Windows Icon in the Boot Menu? It bugs me every time as I was abled to correct that in my past Clover days.

you know I don't even remember anymore :lol: ? I think it is due to the value of scanpolicy 2687747

• Thanks 1

Just now, antuneddu said:

you know I don't even remember anymore :lol: ? I think it is due to the value of scanpolicy 2687747

Ok thanks - I will dig around and no doubt find something else to break after sorting out my icon problem. :hysterical:

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, blackosx said:

I've been concentrating on icons for now as I think it's more fun and easier for users to find/make their own backgrounds to their own taste, rather than for them to generate icon sets. Though I will maybe generate some backgrounds for any themes I produce.

I know @chris1111 has created many different backgrounds for his themes. Maybe we could do with some group 'backgrounds' repo where many users can submit their own creations for others to choose from?

Yes, I used some of @chris1111's themes too! I found his backgrounds folder. I guess @antuneddu must've themed that pink background for that theme himself?

Hi again, @blackosx ! Yes, I guess as an end user it's nice to see what themed backgrounds a theme author has produced, even if there's only a few, or at least not one for every single theme. Sometimes a background along with the icons really makes a theme pop out - like what @antuneddu did with your pink theme, or your own BsxOc1 with its matching background, which I liked enough to start playing around again with all this stuff! :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

@eSaF  I forgot about the purple and blue background if you like it here it is 

Background.icns.zip 1.83 MB · 0 downloads

I think it was me asking - but thank you very much, I'll gladly have a copy of that! :yes:

Edited by Bmju
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Bmju said:

Yes, I used some of @chris1111's themes too! I found his backgrounds folder. I guess @antuneddu must've have themed that pink background for that theme himself?

Hi again, @blackosx ! Yes, I guess as an end user it's nice to see what themed backgrounds a theme author has produced, even if there's only a few, or at least not one for every single theme. Sometimes a background along with the icons really makes a theme pop out - like what @antuneddu did with your pink theme, or your own BsxOc1 with its matching background, which I liked enough to start playing around again with all this stuff! :rolleyes:

here is it https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/344251-opencanopy-icons/?do=findComment&comment=2758840

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Ok thanks - I will dig around and no doubt find something else to break after sorting out my icon problem. :hysterical:

In the past you and I have talked about this, the way I fix this cosmetic drawback is:

- ScanPolicy=2687747 (as @antuneddu says) to hide NTFS file systems since this automatic detection of the NTFS partition makes Windows to be shown at the first place of the picker

- new Entry in Misc > Entries pointing to the UEFI path of the Windows partition, so this entry is shown AFTER macOS entries.

My example (you must find the correct path to your Windows):

<key>Entries</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Arguments</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>Auxiliary</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Windows</string>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<key>Flavour</key>
				<string>Windows10:Windows</string>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>Windows 10</string>
				<key>Path</key>
				<string>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1D,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/NVMe(0x1,C2-C5-5B-46-4A-44-1B-00)/HD(1,GPT,A6916A86-C425-4421-A417-9A4419DACC66,0x800,0x95800)/\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi</string>
				<key>TextMode</key>
				<false/>
			</dict>
		</array>

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, miliuco said:

In the past you and I have talked about this, the way I fix this cosmetic is:

- ScanPolicy=2687757 (as @antuneddu says) to hide NTFS file systems since this automatic detection of the NTFS partition makes Windows to be shown at the first place of the picker

- new Entry in Misc > Entries pointing to the UEFI path of the Windows partition, so this entry is shown AFTER macOS entries.

My example (you must find the correct path to your Windows):

<key>Entries</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Arguments</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>Auxiliary</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Windows</string>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<key>Flavour</key>
				<string>Windows10:Windows</string>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>Windows 10</string>
				<key>Path</key>
				<string>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1D,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/NVMe(0x1,C2-C5-5B-46-4A-44-1B-00)/HD(1,GPT,A6916A86-C425-4421-A417-9A4419DACC66,0x800,0x95800)/\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi</string>
				<key>TextMode</key>
				<false/>
			</dict>
		</array>

exactly I remembered that scanpolicy was centered

• Like 1

Playing with flavours and @blackosx macOS icons with images. It's funny!!! :)

Note: macOS entries except Big Sur are fake entries pointing to the active theme's dir. But Flavour works since icons are picked for the macOS version specified in Flavour of each entry.

flavours3.thumb.png.f24e567c32b6036d7252738c3e9334ca.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, miliuco said:

Playing with flavours and @blackosx macOS icons with images. It's funny!!! :)

Note: macOS entries except Big Sur are fake entries pointing to the active theme's dir. But Flavour works since icons are picked for the macOS version specified in Flavour of each entry.

flavours3.thumb.png.f24e567c32b6036d7252738c3e9334ca.png

I also tried to create a fake Tiger entry (don't look at the icon)
there is no need to name it Apple10_4: Apple
just Tiger: Apple and the  icon   Tiger.icns :lol:

Schermata 2021-05-20 alle 23.46.52.png

Schermata 2021-05-20 alle 23.48.56.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

I also tried to create a fake Tiger entry (don't look at the icon)
there is no need to name it Apple10_4:Apple
just Tiger:Apple and the icon Tiger.icns :lol:...

Understood. I was thinking version icons had to be named Apple10_4.icns, Apple10_12.icns and so on.

3 minutes ago, miliuco said:

Understood. I was thinking version icons had to be named Apple10_4.icns, Apple10_12.icns and so on.

I also thought so, I wanted to try and it works , as I did  it is much simpler I think :)

• Like 2