OpenCanopy Icons

blackosx
1,486 posts in this topic

@antuneddu

A little over 24 hours ago this was a new and unknown world. It is amazing how many things we have learned, from each other and all from acidanthera. And it is also amazing the large list of entries you have, 6 SATA disks all at the same time! :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, miliuco said:

@antuneddu

A little over 24 hours ago this was a new and unknown world. It is amazing how many things we have learned, from each other and all from acidanthera. And it is also amazing the large list of entries you have, 6 SATA disks all at the same time! :)

Already when something like it is easy to learn, about sata it was a joke I guess. Have you prepared for the thesis for the latest version of OC? You will have a lot to write this time aahhah

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

Already when something like it is easy to learn, about sata it was a joke I guess. Have you prepared for the thesis for the latest version of OC? You will have a lot to write this time aahhah

Yes, I’m writing little by little, working in progress… :D

Fino a domani!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, antuneddu said:

I also thought so, I wanted to try and it works , as I did  it is much simpler I think :)

Hi @antuneddu,

I agree that `Tiger.icns`, `BigSur.icns` etc. is nicer naming for the files, and that's what I originally suggested, but Vit was keen to go with automatic icon naming based on macOS version number, since we can easily get hold of it and add that automatically; and with hindsight I agree, that is a nicer system even if the filenames don't look as nice!

Basically, the advantage of `Apple10_4.icns` and `Apple11.icns` is that OC will look for those automatically if a user actually has Tiger or Big Sur installed - no need for any user to change anything or specify any flavour by hand.

Mike

Edited by Bmju
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bmju said:

Hi @antuneddu,

I agree that `Tiger.icns`, `BigSur.icns` etc. is nicer naming for the files, and that's what I originally suggested, but Vit was keen to go with automatic icon naming based on macOS version number, since we can easily get hold of it and add that automatically.

And with hindsight I agree, it's a nicer system.

The advantage of `Apple10_4.icns` and `Apple11.icns` is that OC will look for those automatically if a user actually has Tiger or Big Sur installed - no need for any user to change anything or specify any flavour by hand.

Mike

If it was easier for you to do so, God forbid, indeed thank you all again for the extraordinary work you do. Linking all the versions to the names .... Leopard, Tiger etc it is a bit difficult for me I need wikipedia :) (I speak for myself)
As for the advantage of Apple10_4.icns and Apple11.icns ... anyway I have to rename the icon either in BigSur.icon or in Apple11.icns unless the author does not provide the icons already with this prefix. Thanks again to you all , @blackosx @chris1111 Everything is more pleasant

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bmju said:

Hi @antuneddu,

I agree that `Tiger.icns`, `BigSur.icns` etc. is nicer naming for the files, and that's what I originally suggested, but Vit was keen to go with automatic icon naming based on macOS version number, since we can easily get hold of it and add that automatically.

And with hindsight I agree, it's a nicer system.

The advantage of `Apple10_4.icns` and `Apple11.icns` is that OC will look for those automatically if a user actually has Tiger or Big Sur installed - no need for any user to change anything or specify any flavour by hand.

Mike

The automatic macOS version detection is great, and so is the option to manually assign and icon.

I like the fact that we have both options available.  Double whammy! :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

If it was easier for you to do so, God forbid, indeed thank you all again for the extraordinary work you do. Linking all the versions to the names .... Leopard, Tiger etc it is a bit difficult for me I need wikipedia :) (I speak for myself)
As for the advantage of Apple10_4.icns and Apple11.icns ... anyway I have to rename the icon either in BigSur.icon or in Apple11.icns unless the author does not provide the icons already with this prefix. Thanks again to you all , @blackosx @chris1111 Everything is more pleasant

Yes, just to be clear, the suggestion about using the recommended naming only applies if you are making icons intended for other people to take and use - then using the names that will be picked up automatically is better.

Hmm - maybe I should update the `Flavours.md` doc with all the macOS names, so that at least you only have to look in one place!

M

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Bmju said:

Hmm - maybe I should update the `Flavours.md` doc with all the macOS names, so that at least you only have to look in one place!

Done :angel_not:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@blackosx @miliuco @antuneddu

Just a stupid question: I have only Big Sur installed (Windows 10 is on another hard disk, without specific entry). This setting below are sufficient:

<key>Flavour</key>
<string>Auto</string>

And I don't need to add suffix to each icons (e.g Apple.icns instead of Apple11.icns)/
That seems correct to you :)

6 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Just a stupid question: I have only Big Sur installed (Windows 10 is on another hard disk, without specific entry). This setting below are sufficient:

<key>Flavour</key>
<string>Auto</string>

And I don't need to add suffix to each icons (e.g Apple.icns instead of Apple11.icns)/

yes I don't think they should be intercepted by default only if you have another Apple system like Catalina and you don't want the same ion as big sur then you can rename it to. Apple10_15.icns (Catalina)

Edited by antuneddu
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Bmju said:

Yes, just to be clear, the suggestion about using the recommended naming only applies if you are making icons intended for other people to take and use - then using the names that will be picked up automatically is better.

M

Where can I find your flavour.md ! Please.

31 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

<key>Flavour</key>
<string>Auto</string>

Hi @Matgen84 - This sounds like it might be related to my answer to @eSaF from before: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/344251-opencanopy-icons/page/29/?tab=comments#comment-2758764 .

Basically, you would not normally use a `Flavour` property in `config.plist` for macOS (which is what it seems you are doing above?) - because macOS is (for any normal set up) picked up automatically by OpenCore, whereas `Flavour` properties in `config.plist` only even exist for things which are not picked up automatically by OpenCore (namely things in `Tools` and `Entries`).

I think there seem to be two things here that may be misleading some people, but:

1. You should not create an entry to apply a flavour; if you need to apply a flavour and there isn't already an entry, then you must do so using a `.contentFlavour` file.
2. But also, you mostly do not need to apply flavours by hand at all! E.g. for basic use of themes (e.g. just to see the icon from the theme for Big Sur) - it is all done for you.

Again, HTH!

---

To put it another, simpler, way: just install a theme's .icns files (any theme with the new directory structure), just set PickerVariant in config.plist, and then just go.

Only apply flavours afterwards, to tweak things, if it doesn't already work just fine, straight away (and 90% of the time, it should).

Edited by Bmju
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bmju said:

To put it another, simpler, way: just install a theme's .icns files (any theme with the new directory structure), just set PickerVariant in config.plist, and then just go.

Only apply flavours afterwards, to tweak things, if it doesn't already work just fine, straight away (and 90% of the time, it should).

Thanks Mike. This is well put.

I may add this to the front page.. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OC has certainly turned a lot of exciting corners of late since the introduction. I know the Devs intended to kept as pure as possible and kind of pushed back a little on the idea of Eye Candy but a lot of us remembering the glory days of Chameleon and Clover hankered for the same in OC myself inclued. The beauty of OC is, if you don't get the Themes quite right, it falls back to text at the Boot Menu not leaving you stranded with a lot of head scratching.

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, eSaF said:

OC has certainly turned a lot of exciting corners of late since the introduction. I know the Devs intended to kept as pure as possible and kind of pushed back a little on the idea of Eye Candy but a lot of us remembering the glory days of Chameleon and Clover hankered for the same in OC myself inclued. The beauty of OC is, if you don't get the Themes quite right, it falls back to text at the Boot Menu not leaving you stranded with a lot of head scratching.

Here we are people who like to know everything that is being released about OpenCore.
But most end users are not going to dig so deep and this is normal, these users will want OpenCore to work and look nice.
What I mean is that you can also use OpenCore and enjoy it in a much simpler way but... sometimes it seems that we like to suffer :)

22 hours ago, Bmju said:

Yes, I used some of @chris1111's themes too! I found his backgrounds folder. I guess @antuneddu must've themed that pink background for that theme himself?

Hi again, @blackosx ! Yes, I guess as an end user it's nice to see what themed backgrounds a theme author has produced, even if there's only a few, or at least not one for every single theme. Sometimes a background along with the icons really makes a theme pop out - like what @antuneddu did with your pink theme, or your own BsxOc1 with its matching background, which I liked enough to start playing around again with all this stuff! :rolleyes:

I think it was me asking - but thank you very much, I'll gladly have a copy of that! :yes:

Yes. @antuneddu came up with his own background for those icons.

I know I set out here mainly to generate sets of icons rather than ‘themes’ but I do understand your point that a background can complement the icons. I do aim to add a background for any themes I produce, but moving forward, perhaps I can add more backgrounds in the future, maybe some generic ones?

Thanks for the feedback.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, blackosx said:

Yes. @antuneddu came up with his own background for those icons.

I know I set out here mainly to generate sets of icons rather than ‘themes’ but I do understand your point that a background can complement the icons. I do aim to add a background for any themes I produce, but moving forward, perhaps I can add more backgrounds in the future, maybe some generic ones?

Thanks for the feedback.

without your icons the backgrounds would not make sense, you already do so much, of course if you have time to create the backgrounds, we will not refuse them for sure :)

• Like 2

Thanks @antuneddu. Very true. 

But I forgot to ask, would you all prefer i concentrated on icon sets or themes? 

EDIT: maybe it sounds a silly question but to me there’s a difference, a set of icons is just that, but for a theme a background and icons need to work together (does that make sense?).

Edited by blackosx
  • Like 2