OpenCanopy Icons

blackosx
1,484 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, blackosx said:

Since OpenCore can now boot all versions of macOS I've added the missing 10.4-10.11 icons from my Set3 range. These include drive icons and also badge icons. Here's a preview....

Very very nice!!! I like all them.

On 8/14/2020 at 10:48 AM, blackosx said:

I've been playing around with OpenCore's font support and think how it's currently done is great, though it limits the possibilities of customisation (maybe by design to keep it more in line with Apple's UI)

Font size cannot change much as the lineHeight must be 12 or 24 (if x2) for OpenCore to accept it.

Fonts PNGs can only be mono, so no coloured fonts, and shading will prove difficult due to the tight random placement of the glyphs in the AngelCode BMF.

Having said that I've generated some different ones to maybe give the UI a slightly different look, if wanted.

Here's an image showing different slices of a selection to show each font looks in the UI

Reveal hidden contents

Fonts.thumb.png.5d68f4abd36f728b6fde5a79271c3a46.png

Aller.zip

Calibri.zip

Candara.zip

ebrima.zip

framd.zip

FuturaLight.zip

gadugi.zip

Tahoma.zip

Verdana.zip

I just replaced OC's stock Font folder from acidanthera/OcBinaryData/Resources/ with the Font folder of the framd font, but now I only get a grey screen after the boot chime.

Here's my current config:

972334275_Bildschirmfoto2021-02-27um20_58_36.jpg.5ff2b8ac89399b504d526ea9ff47ae80.jpg

Do these fonts require a different setting somewhere, or even special theme resources?

Yeah, the fonts I generated back in August last year do indeed seem to be incorrect and cause OC to hang. It’s only recently been discovered (check the last 20 posts or so). They did work for me at the time but I guess they weren’t thoroughly tested. 

I know @cecekpawon recently posted a new font here which I haven’t had a chance to test yet but I believe that will work.

Apologies for any inconvenience. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

ah OK - thanks for replying so quickly. @blackosx could you add what you just wrote at the top of your font posting so I'm the last to stumble over this?

I saw cecekpawon's recent post, but the Candara font is not a gain but a regression in terms of better readability which is what I'm trying to achieve w/o lowering the res.

Is there any chance you could tweak your fonts from back then for current OC conformity? Esp. framd, Verdana and Aller really look great on your screenshot composite.

Edited by BuXb

On 2/26/2021 at 11:55 AM, cecekpawon said:

I can confirm OpenCanopy actually hangs with "Do not include kerning pairs" option leave unchecked in Font Settings.

Thank you! It was indeed the kerning pairs causing the problem :)

Thanks to the note from @cecekpawon about the kerning pairs, the fonts issue has been resolved and I've now generated new font images which I've successfully tested in Qemu (though only at 1x Scale).

OC-Fonts-Fixed-Preview.jpg

Aller_Bd.zip calibri.zip Candara.zip corbel.zip ebrima.zip framd.zip FuturaLight.zip gadugi.zip

Edited by blackosx
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@blackosx you're breaking the rules of physics - officially we're not capable of faster than the speed of :idea::superman:

The framd indeed is slightly better readable @ UIScale=1 on my screen (15,6" @ 1920x1080) than the stock OC font - still not as comfortable as it could (and as in Clover GUI with exact same background).

Have you ever tried the Terminus font, by any chance? It ranks highest on 6 Best bitmap programming fonts as of 2021 - Slant, and the dev is fine-tuning it constantly (last time 2 months ago)

https://cdn.slant.co/6c1877c7-334b-4286-ab06-081fc02d4f5e/-/format/jpeg/-/progressive/yes/-/preview/480x480/

Edited by BuXb
  • Like 2

Mayday! it's been half an hour I've been fighting with icons but I can't win :D , practically I added an icon for Ubuntu I can't see it I renamed it in Ubuntu, Other, grubx64.efi with and without Modern variant ... it doesn't work ,small help? thank you

@blackosx wow, quite a magician you are - kudos.

Yes, you're right. I went straight for the bolder type face but the numbers are too jagged + the font is too small. So for now, until OC allows scaling of some sorts e.g. via a setting for dedicated 13px/ 14px/ 15px pixel fonts, framd seems like the best choice. I'd even say the OC team might want to choose it as default.

@antuneddu haven't tried myself but saved this link in my bookmarks :)

Edited by BuXb

5 minutes ago, BuXb said:

@blackosx wow, quite a magician you are - kudos.

Yes, you're right. I went straight for the bolder type face but the numbers are too jagged + the font is too small. So for now, until OC allows scaling of some sorts e.g. via a setting for dedicated 13px/ 14px/ 15px pixel fonts, framd seems like the best choice. I'd even say the OC team might want to choose it as default.

@antuneddu haven't tried myself but saved this link in my bookmarks :)

thanks, but I already have the entries for both Windows and Ubuntu defined in the config and from opencore I boot all of them, the problem does not show me the right icons

4 hours ago, blackosx said:

... Thanks to the note from @cecekpawon about the kerning pairs, the fonts issue has been resolved and I've now generated new font images which I've successfully tested in Qemu (though only at 1x Scale)...

Thank you, excellent work, now we have a set of fonts to choice.

@antuneddu did you try the suggestion here?

@BuXb Thanks. Moving forward for now, I think it’s just a case of finding the right font per user as I believe OpenCanopy’s aim is to be as close to Apple’s boot picker as possible. So as far as ever being able to use a larger font will be down to future dev changes if they wish to allow that.

@miliuco Thanks. Last August when I first looked in to the fonts, I created a bash script to call the appropriate programs (for example, dpfontbaker) to generate the font files.. this is using MacOS and not the recommended method with Windows. But it seems to work pretty well.

If it’s of use to others I may post this script here so anyone can generate their own font images?

Edited by blackosx
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, blackosx said:

@antuneddu did you try the suggestion here?

@BuXb Thanks. Moving forward for now, I think it’s just a case of finding the right font per user as I believe OpenCanopy’s aim is to be as close to Apple’s boot picker as possible. So as far as ever being able to use a larger font will be down to future dev changes if they wish to allow that.

@miliuco Thanks. Last August when I first looked in to the fonts, I created a bash script to call the appropriate programs (for example, dpfontbaker) to generate the font files.. this is using MacOS and not the recommended method with Windows. But it seems to work pretty well.

If it’s of use to others I may post this script here so anyone can generate their own font images?

As usual you are the n1 Thank you. This then to copy the icon ... you never stop learning :yes:

28194440.png

3 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

As usual you are the n1 Thank you. This then to copy the icon ... you never stop learning :yes:

28194440.png

By the way, as you can see, I put the new characters. Aller_Bd .... works  great

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, blackosx said:

Thank you! It was indeed the kerning pairs causing the problem :)

Thanks to the note from @cecekpawon about the kerning pairs, the fonts issue has been resolved and I've now generated new font images which I've successfully tested in Qemu (though only at 1x Scale).

Great Job. @blackosx Do you plan to put yours fonts on the GitHub OpencanopyIcons repo !

Here's v0.2 of the font script ocFontFileGenerator

Credits:

dpfb from https://github.com/usr-sse2/dpfontbaker

FNTTools from https://github.com/AuroraBertaOldham/FNTTools/releases/tag/v1.0

Usage:

1 - Place Truetype (.ttf) font files in the 'TrueTypeFontToProcess' directory

2 - Double click the ocFontFileGenerator.command

3 - Resulting font files will be in the 'ProcessedFonts' directory

It's archived as .lzma which you can uncompress using something like cvad's LZMAnoGUI64 for example.

ocFontFileGenerator_v0.2.tar.lzma

Note: From memory, I believe not all fonts will successfully convert due to their lineheight at a given font size.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Matgen84 said:

Great Job. @blackosx Do you plan to put yours fonts on the GitHub OpencanopyIcons repo !

No plans to host any font files, but hopefully users can now create their own files with the above ocFontFileGenerator script.

• Like 2