OpenCanopy Icons

blackosx
1,484 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, blackosx said:

Thanks for the report. I’ll run some tests maybe tomorrow to see what’s going on.

It’s was a while back that I generated those font files from following the notes in the OpenCanopy docs that you mentioned in the post above.

EDIT:

As for the AngelCode fonts, the format does support colour but I believe OpenCanopy currrently does not (Please correct me if I’m wrong).

But let’s remember that OpenCanopy is still a work in progress and Download-Fritz has put a lot of work in to get it to where it currently is. There may well be changes in the future allowing support for colour fonts.

It seemed to me that you had read the OpenCore instructions when I saw the fonts you had in the other post. I had not read them until yesterday :(

In theory, that's the way to create them. For whatever reason, they have not performed well in the test that @chris1111 and I have done.
It is true that OpenCanopy is evolving and that new features appear in each version. Now the look of the OC menu is quite successful (themes, backgrounds, arrows...). Label customization would be the only thing I am currently missing. Otherwise, I like it.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

??? Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Coffee Lake-S GT2) from HWiNFO64 Version 6.35-4315 ,  that's no good ?

DESKTOP-LHIGBCL.LOG 119.8 kB · 0 downloads

What a complete report !!! It's from Windows, right? And I see it says Motherboard Chipset: Intel B365 (Kaby Lake).
However, it is evident that it accepts microprocessors of 9th gen. (Coffee Lake S).

In the Intel specifications you can read:

Intel® B365 Chipset
Set of products: Intel® 300 Series Desktop Chipsets
Code name: Products formerly Coffee Lake.

It's just something that caught my eye when I looked at your signature.

On 2/20/2021 at 11:09 PM, antuneddu said:

rightly so' ? ... unmm and in the efi partition of BlackDisk4G.img what do I copy the current efi that I have in the disk? Thank you

@antuneddu

Try this

Spoiler

Qemu_BlackDisk4G_OC_066.tar.lzma

EDIT: Download link removed as new updated version can be found below.

Contains:

- BlackDisk4G.img

- OVMF.fd

- runQemu.command

Double-click runQemu.command

The ESP of the disk image contains OpenCore 0.6.6 Release and Debug versions with the following drivers for each version:
- CrScreenshotDxe.efi
- OpenCanopy.efi
- OpenHfsPlus.efi
- OpenRuntime.efi

The config.plist of each is set to a resolution of 1024x768, with a PickerVariant set to Bsx to match the default set of icons in Resources/Images

EDIT: 22nd Feb 2021

Spoiler

Download link updated to Qemu_BlackDisk4G_OC_066b.tar.lzma

Changes:

- Updated to OVMF-with-csm.fd to correctly update the screen in OpenCanopy
- Updated .disk_label.contentDetails for each volume in the disk image

- config.plist - Enabled OpenShell.efi

- config.plist - Set Timeout to 100
- config.plist (for Debug version) - Changed Debug Target to 3 for onscreen logging with DisplayDelay set to 20000ms

Notes:

1 - Screenshot F10 fails with 'OCFS: Trying to locate filesystem on 7F78DC98 0' when using this OVMF-with-csm. Take screenshot of Qemu window using macOS Finder for now.
2 - Using a debug target 41 to write to file, writes log to ESP/NvVars which can be extracted in a hex editor. But only saves 8K before error, NVRAM is full, cannot log. 

EDIT: 2nd March 2021

Spoiler

Download link updated to Qemu_BlackDisk4G_OC_067.tar.lzma

Changes:

- Updated to OpenCore 0.6.7 (Release and Debug versions)
- Updated .disk_label and .disk_label_2x for each volume
- Added .VolumeIcon.icns for each volume
- Added ResetNVRAM icon
- Added WarmReset and Shutdown config and icons

EDIT: 6th March 2021

Download link updated to Qemu_BlackDisk5G_OC_067.tar.lzma

- New disk image partitioned as follows:

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        +4.3 GB     disk4
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk4s1
   2:       Microsoft Basic Data WIN                     255.9 MB   disk4s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS Tiger                   32.0 MB    disk4s3
   4:                  Apple_HFS Leopard                 32.0 MB    disk4s4
   5:                  Apple_HFS SnowLeopard             32.0 MB    disk4s5
   6:                  Apple_HFS Lion                    32.0 MB    disk4s6
   7:                  Apple_HFS MountainLion            32.0 MB    disk4s7
   8:                  Apple_HFS Mavericks               32.0 MB    disk4s8
   9:                  Apple_HFS Yosemite                32.0 MB    disk4s9
  10:                  Apple_HFS ElCapitan               32.0 MB    disk4s10
  11:                  Apple_HFS Sierra                  32.0 MB    disk4s11
  12:                  Apple_HFS HighSierra              32.0 MB    disk4s12
  13:                 Apple_APFS Container disk5         3.5 GB     disk4s13

/dev/disk5 (synthesized):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +3.5 GB     disk5
                                 Physical Store disk4s13
   1:                APFS Volume Mojave                  65.5 KB    disk5s1
   2:                APFS Volume Catalina                65.5 KB    disk5s2
   3:                APFS Volume Bigsur                  65.5 KB    disk5s3
   4:                APFS Volume Preboot                 2.2 MB     disk5s4

- Added apfs.efi driver

- EFI System Partition is populated with OpenCore 0.6.7 REL and DBG versions. Defaults to REL

- Each macOs volume contains correct .disk_label, .disk_label_2x and .disk_label.contentDetails

- Each volume contains .VolumeIcon.icns

- Windows partition is now populated

Edited by blackosx
Updated to Qemu_BlackDisk5G_OC_067
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, blackosx said:

Updated Set3 Icons sets with ResetNVRAM buttons.

Also updated OpenCanopyIconsSetBuilder (attached to the first post of this topic) to v0.1.6 to include the ResetNVRAM icon and also the Set3LE Glow Pack sets.

Nice!!! The 3D look is very successful.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 12:09 PM, miliuco said:

For whatever reason, they have not performed well in the test that @chris1111 and I have done.

I did run a couple of tests earlier today and can confirm there is an issue with most of the font files I generated last year, though I did get success with font ebrima.

Posting here for my own ref so I can come back to this another time..

Taking a quick look at the debug build when using the Candara font I see the log stopped at:

When using PickerAttributes 17 (0x11)

The last entry in the log before the UI does not redraw:

OCUI: console attributes: 2
OCUI: UseDiskLabel: 0, UseGenericLabel: 0

and with PickerAttributes 18 (0x12)

The last entry in the log before the UI does not redraw:

OCUI: UseDiskLabel: 1, UseGenericLabel: 0
OC: Got label 0 icon 0 for type 128 - OpenShell.efi
OCB: Get custom label UEFI Shell - Not found

For comparison, using the default font with PickerAttributes 17 (0x11)

The last entry in the log before the UI redraws:

OCUI: UseDiskLabel: 0, UseGenericLabel: 0
OC: Got label 0 icon 0 for type 256 - Reset NVRAM
OCB: OcGetBootEntryIcon - Reset NVRAM (tool) - Not Found

and with PickerAttributes 18 (0x12)

The last entry in the log before the UI redraws:

OCUI: UseDiskLabel: 1, UseGenericLabel: 0
OC: Got label 0 icon 0 for type 128 - OpenShell.efi
OCB: Get custom label UEFI Shell - Not found

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 4:50 PM, blackosx said:

Interesting observation. I've not encountered this myself, but then I don't use either ProperTree or OpenCore Configurator. Maybe notify the app devs to make them aware of it?

Mackie100 has answered there is no problem to make the change, I hope in OpenCore Configurator next release the name of the tool will be UEFI Shell.

Corpnewt hasn't answered yet (ProperTree), I suppose you have tried the new version from a few days ago, with dark and light themes for the main window, I had the version from a few months ago and it did not have the option to change the theme.

• Like 1

I finally got some time today to tick a few more icons off my list.

Set3 icons have been updated with ResetSystemCold, ResetSystemFirmware, ResetSystemShutdown and ResetSystemWarm icons.

preview-sheet-Reset-System.jpg

These are to be used when using the ResetSystem.efi tool and you have it enabled in config.plist. The tool accepts different arguments; ColdReset, Firmware, Shutdown and WarmReset. For more information, see the OpenCore documentation.

Usage:

If you have ResetSystem.efi in OC/Resources/Tools directory then place the icon in OC/Resources/Tools directory and name it ResetSystem.efi.icns.

Or maybe you wanted two icons visible and you duplicated ResetSystem.efi so renamed it ResetSystemWarm.efi and added that tool with associated argument to config.plist. In this case you would add ResetSystemWarm.efi.icns also.

Important:

As with any OpenCore tool, read the documentation first to make sure you understand what it does and how it can affect your system.

I'll look at updating the SetBuilder script tomorrow. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, blackosx said:

I finally got some time today to tick a few more icons off my list.

Set3 icons have been updated with ResetSystemCold, ResetSystemFirmware, ResetSystemShutdown and ResetSystemWarm icons.

preview-sheet-Reset-System.jpg

These are to be used when using the ResetSystem.efi tool and you have it enabled in config.plist. The tool accepts different arguments; ColdReset, Firmware, Shutdown and WarmReset. For more information, see the OpenCore documentation.

Usage:

If you have ResetSystem.efi in OC/Resources/Tools directory then place the icon in OC/Resources/Tools directory and name it ResetSystem.efi.icns.

Or maybe you wanted two icons visible and you duplicated ResetSystem.efi so renamed it ResetSystemWarm.efi and added that tool with associated argument to config.plist. In this case you would add ResetSystemWarm.efi.icns also.

Important:

As with any OpenCore tool, read the documentation first to make sure you understand what it does and how it can affect your system.

I'll look at updating the SetBuilder script tomorrow. 

Number one :thumbsup_anim:

At a quick glance at the OpenCore documentation I see:

CleanNvram* Reset NVRAM alternative bundled as a standalone tool.

But I wouldn't like to say without researching it. Maybe you could take a look at the code, search here at IM, or check the acidanthera bug tracker for any previous questions about them?

16 minutes ago, blackosx said:

At a quick glance at the OpenCore documentation I see:

CleanNvram* Reset NVRAM alternative bundled as a standalone tool.

But I wouldn't like to say without researching it. Maybe you could take a look at the code, search here at IM, or check the acidanthera bug tracker for any previous questions about them?

OK, I've tried both of them Reset NVRAM reboots directly while CleanNvram cleans but needs to be restarted. What do you think of the Shell icon like that?

25071151.png

So they behave differently? Well done for testing.

Thanks for the idea, though there are a million possibilities of how an icon can look and what an icon can be. It's all down to individual taste and vision. You are free to customise any icon you wish. If you want to have a circular shell button then great, go ahead and generate some.  :)

50 minutes ago, Andrey1970 said:

CleanNvram.efi is intended for use without OpenCore.

I did not know.

I have sometimes used it from the OpenCore menu to test and apparently it empties NVRAM and macOS starts fine with or without restarting after using it, I do not have the error of @antuneddu

1 minute ago, miliuco said:

I did not know.

I have sometimes used it from the OpenCore menu to test and apparently it empties NVRAM and macOS starts fine with or without restarting after using it, I do not have the error of @antuneddu

CleanNvram.efi and built-in ResetNvram, equivalents when using with OpenCore. 

CleanNvram.efi doesn't do reboot automatically, you shall make reboot.

Use CleanNvram.efi without OpenCore (For example from SHELL when SHELL is loaded as bootx64.efi) for full clean.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Playing around with [Windows] AngelCode Bitmap Font Generator + Candara font. I can confirm OpenCanopy actually hangs with "Do not include kerning pairs" option leave unchecked in Font Settings. Or will refuse to load if the font have font-size != 12px. Attached my bmf-config file + generated files. *Rename generated files .fnt to .bin and remove sequenced *_0.png suffix.

Font.zip

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Since OpenCore can now boot all versions of macOS I've added the missing 10.4-10.11 icons from my Set3 range. These include drive icons and also badge icons. Here's a preview.

mac-OS-version-icons.jpg

3 hours ago, cecekpawon said:

Playing around with [Windows] AngelCode Bitmap Font Generator + Candara font. I can confirm OpenCanopy actually hangs with "Do not include kerning pairs" option leave unchecked in Font Settings. Or will refuse to load if the font have font-size != 12px. Attached my bmf-config file + generated files. *Rename generated files .fnt to .bin and remove sequenced *_0.png suffix.

Font.zip 4.18 kB · 6 downloads

Nice! Thanks @cecekpawon 

I'll try it out.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, blackosx said:

Since OpenCore can now boot all versions of macOS I've added the missing 10.4-10.11 icons from my Set3 range. These include drive icons and also badge icons. Here's a preview.

Nice! Thanks @cecekpawon 

I'll try it out.

Great job. I don't find them in your GitHub repo.

• Like 1

I've updated OpenCanopyIconsSetBuilder to v0.1.7 (link in first post), to now include the ResetSystem icons.

The script works pretty well but the number of choices is growing so there's more to answer before getting the icons....  I'll have to work on some web app instead to allow viewing and selecting icons to download from the repo.

11 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Great job. I don't find them in your GitHub repo.

Yeah, sorry it's not easier at the moment. :blush:

The builder script doesn't go as deep as that.

The only way to get those for now is to checkout the whole repo, or download the repo as a ZIP, and navigate to:

For drives with macOS icons:

Set3/<COLOUR>/HardDrive/Apple/

For OS badges:

Set3/OsBadges/Coloured/

Edited by blackosx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1