OpenCanopy Icons

blackosx
1,489 posts in this topic

Download-Fritz has made many changes to OpenCanopy and this upcoming release is amazing (Thanks DF).

Thanks for letting me know font framd is not working correctly. I will look into the issue with this and other fonts when I get time but I recommend using the font from OCBinaryData.

That original OCBinaryData font (Helvetica) is also best to use as that’s the font the disk labels use as generated by the disklabel app. See here

Edited by blackosx

I'll keep using the older current release OpenCanopy then for now because the default font is definitely too small on my screen and for me here a regression.

I totally understand, though it’s a shame to not be able to run the latest and greatest due to the font size. We may be able to edit the current fatter framd font file in due course.

Moving forward, maybe DF would consider allowing flexibility in the font size in the future? 

Ah, he's a member here, great to know B)! @Download-Fritz, with the new OpenCanopy.efi, the bottom of blackosx's custom framd font

framd.zip is suddenly cut off, see here:

02213911.jpg.ccdd156505e63ee9986879661f3adc55.jpg

OC's default font displays fine, but is too small. Back to current release OpenCanopy.efi and the framd  is displayed again correctly. Any idea?

Moving forward, would you consider allowing flexibility in the font size in the future?

On 3/20/2021 at 1:28 AM, miliuco said:

BsxDark1_ looks bright and clear-cut, including Monaco font. :thumbsup_anim:

miliuco, I fail to create a monaco font with blackOSX' ocFontFileGenerator, even from a monaco.ttf. Could you zip and attach your monaco font folder here?

Edited by BuXb

On 4/2/2021 at 11:14 PM, BuXb said:

Ah, he's a member here, great to know B)! @Download-Fritz, with the new OpenCanopy.efi, the bottom of blackosx's custom framd font...

miliuco, I fail to create a monaco font with blackOSX' ocFontFileGenerator, even from a monaco.ttf. Could you zip and attach your monaco font folder here?

Best way is acidanthera bug tracker as @blackosx says, yo must have a GitHub account and then you can comment there following the guidelines. Tray. They look carefully at all of our comments.

I think @Download-Fritz is called mhaeuser in GitHub (Marvin Häuser).

I have multiple folders out of order and can't find the Monaco font from @blackosx. It may be this that I attach but I'm not sure.

In any case, among the changes that OpenCore 0.6.8 is going to make there are several related to labels and I have verified that the only labels that are seen correctly, at least on my system and with last builds, are those that take the current Fonts and Labels folders of OpenCore developers.

For example, recent changes in 0.6.8 and OpenCanopy: Reset label scrolling when TAB focus changes / Add shadow to boot entry label scrolling / Draw label text at (2,2) to match Apple bless / Never X-offset the first letter of a label / Remove deprecated label truncation code / Fix boot label scroll for UIScale 2 / Add boot entry label scrolling. They are a lot.

Font.zip

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BuXb said:

thanks @miliuco for all the info!

Does the font you attached look fine on your rig with the latest OpenCanopy.efi, and if so, is it better readable than the stock Helvetica?

Nope. With latest commit, only BinaryData from OC developers.

EDIT: I mean fonts and labels. Some icon themes from @blackosx and @chris1111 work well with latest builds.

Edited by miliuco
  • Sad 1

Comparison:

OC default Helvetica via most recent dev OpenCanopy:

helvetica.thumb.jpg.ce38eb888b61da350761d00689b67b40.jpg

blackosx framd via current release OpenCanopy:

framd.thumb.jpg.1b144d8da9afefe2e3c72136f1e9e527.jpg

Still by far not the quality of Clover UI fonts, but at least readable (framd) vs. squint (Helvetica)..

Edited by BuXb
  • Like 1

I recommend to update or redraw ModernSelector.icns according to the modern Intel real Macs.

Images in OcBinaryData extracted from firmware (Old, Pre modern and Modern) Intel real Macs. 

Intel ModernSelector it not "Сontinue". And Selector also сhanges to SetDefault when is pressed Ctrl. And flickers when the timer works.

Look at the Apple Picker on modern Intel real Mac.

486049_36FFB867-88DA-4656-B069-B4901760AE3D.thumb.jpeg.b29b2d669e194dd3233714e62b4fcc9e.jpeg.62ebedcc7192afeba8f021a229a07daa.jpeg

Edited by Andrey1970
  • Like 7

@blackosx That your font worked was a bug with the clipping code, I noticed when cursor movement caused artifacts one day. Flexible font size is on TODO. It was not before due to missing label scrolling.

On 4/2/2021 at 10:44 PM, BuXb said:

I had hoped we'd be that far by now.

You can obviously feel free to PR.

Edited by Download-Fritz
  • Like 3

@blackosx

I hadn't paid enough attention to your BsxDarkFence themes. They are very pretty. They work fine with the latest build (ac669c1, available now). I like them a lot, especially BsxDarkFenceLight.

Excellent work!!! :thumbsup_anim:

BsxDarkFenceLight.thumb.png.025ad668d488c9b41003411914a6e96a.png

(Cropped image).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@blackosx I looked into it further, and our label height calculation code was wrong, hence your font image was not rejected as it should have been. Code to disallow it may land for 0.6.8. Flexible label heights may not as I do not know how to support it well with Apple disklabel images. If you have suggestions, feel free to comment on the bugtracker.

• Like 2

Thanks for the update @Download-Fritz

Disallowing incorrect fonts makes sense. I will look more in to these other font files the tool creates when I can.

With regard to supporting larger fonts in OpenCanopy while understanding that Apple disk labels must only be 12 pixels high, I think one way could be to have another PickerAttribute for example OC_ATTR_USE_CUSTOM_FONT which would override/disable OC_ATTR_USE_DISK_LABEL_FILE forcing rendering the volume name from a theme font file which is the larger size. Of course, the original OCBinaryData font would be retained as a fallback.

That’s just my first thought and may not be a good suggestion. I’ll give it more thought and maybe comment on the bugtracker if I think it could work.

Edited by blackosx
  • Like 3

On 4/3/2021 at 1:53 PM, blackosx said:

@BuXb See here :)

great, sounds promising!

6 hours ago, Download-Fritz said:

Code to disallow it may land for 0.6.8. Flexible label heights may not as I do not know how to support it well with Apple disklabel images.

From my understanding, hackintosh boot-land philosophy has always been to adapt/ copy/ emulate Apple where they've achieved perfection, and to do better where they have not (yet). In terms of disk label font size, there sure is room for improvement even on real Macs. In that regard, blackosx's suggestion with OC_ATTR_USE_CUSTOM_FONT or alike sounds sensible, and promising.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 11:55 PM, miliuco said:

I have multiple folders out of order and can't find the Monaco font from @blackosx. It may be this that I attach but I'm not sure.

ah, blackosx originally shared the Monaco font? Anyways - no, the one you attached is stock OC Helvetica - all 4 files same byte counts .. ;)

@blackosx @BuXb This behaviour is already possible with current OC. The point is that bless label images is something Apple guarantees to be present and valid, while the text files we use are more or less temporary files for generation and have been absent in the past. One way would be to force all label heights to be equal I suppose.

• Like 1

Morning @Download-Fritz

Apologies for not elaborating more yesterday. Yes, I know OC can currently skip using labels and render the volume name directly but what I was thinking with a new picker attribute was a way for the user to indicate that they are happy to step away from the proper way of doing it using Apple’s rules as OC currently does. So more of a hack switch.

Enabling this attribute would then use adjusted values in OpenCanopy to draw the UI based on the size of the theme font, within a set tolerance of maybe +4px?

if the user chooses not to enable the attribute then OpenCanopy will always use the existing rules as it currently does.

This may not fit in with the OpenCore methodology of doing things correctly but it was the only way I could think of trying to achieve using larger fonts

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Download-Fritz said:

One way would be to force all label heights to be equal I suppose.

If I understand correctly what you suggest then yes, that should work. Good thinking. 

So I presume you’re thinking along the lines of placing the existing labels on a larger canvas? To put it simply..

@blackosx No, mismatched sizes will look like ****. I think we may just omit Apple disklabel images that are not the same size as the inbuilt font, if it is enabled, Mismatched fonts would also look terrible, but that's the price of flexibility.  Or maybe it can somehow be controlled by the proposed theme plist... idk :)