[GUIDE] Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh

deeveedee
874 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, kiwi7910 said:

Why would you use BootCamp? The HP EliteDesk 800 G4 is a PC, so just install Windows 11 on a separate physical drive from the MacOS and use the F9 key to select the appropriate boot disk at power up.

Thanks.

Happy New Year, everyone!!!

My latest EFI, based on Open Core 0.8.8, is now attached to Post #1.  If you are happy with your current EFI, there is no need to upgrade.  The changes in this latest EFI (from my previous OC 0.8.7 EFI) are listed below.

Changes from OC0.8.7-EFI-R001 to OC0.8.8-EFI-R001

• EFI/BOOT: Update BOOTx64.efi
  • EFI/OC: Update OpenCore.efi
  • EFI/OC/Drivers: Update OpenRuntime.efi, AudioDxe.efi, ResetNvramEntry.efi
  • EFI/OC/Kexts:
    • Upgrade AppleALC.kext 1.7.7 -> 1.7.8
    • Upgrade Lilu.kext 1.6.2 -> 1.6.3
    • Upgrade WhateverGreen.kext 1.6.2 -> 1.6.3
  • EFI/OC/config.plist
    • No changes
  • EFI/OC/Tools: Update tools
Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

I installed the new OC0.8.8-EFI-R001 and now I have EFI in the 1st place in the Boot menu.
How to remove this because I have not had this until now.
BT also stopped working for me.
I am attaching a picture and an EFI folder.

Im asking for help.

Thank you

1227718323_Bootmenu.jpeg

EFI.zip

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

You need to copy the .contenVisibility file inside the Boot folder ( enable the option to show hidden files )

or completely replace the BOOT folder the file is already inside

BOOT.zip 7.58 kB · 2 downloads

@antuneddu 

Thanks for the help.

I replaced BOOT with your folder that you attached and the Boot menu is now OK. It is no longer in the EFI menu.

Bluetooth OK.

Edited by luky35
  • Like 2

@luky35 Thank you for finding the issue and @antuneddu thank you for the quick response and fix.  I have updated the EFI attached to Post #1 to include the BOOT/.contentVisiblity file with "Disabled"

The new EFI is OC0.8.8-EFI-R002.

@luky35 - I guess you figured out that your USBPorts.kext needed to be changed for working Bluetooth.  The EFI you posted included a USBPorts.kext that did not enable port HS14.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@luky35 Are you referring to the background color?  If so, this may vary since the background of the "About This Mac" is semi-transparent.  Try this: Open "About This Mac" and move it around on your desktop.  Note the color change as a result of transparency.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I reviewed the OC 0.8.9 commits and don't see any reason to upgrade this hack from OC 0.8.8 to OC 0.8.9.  I do not plan to release an OC 0.8.9 EFI for this hack.  Note that I'm not recommending against the upgrade and would encourage you to upgrade to OC 0.8.9 if you want to.  For me, the most notable improvement in OC 0.8.9 is a fix of the LegacyBoot bug that I use for my HackBookPro6,2.  I do plan to upgrade my HackBookPro6,2 to OC 0.8.9.

EDIT: Same is true for Acidanthera kexts - I see no reason to upgrade them at this time.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

Ventura updated to 13.2.1 today. Everything is smoth with OC 0.8.8.

A bit random but I found old VGA monitor in my cabinets and tried the VGA output...it's working :) This is not strange since the VGA port is connected to the additional port on the motherboard which (correct me if I'm wrong) converts digital/analog output. Same additional port can be used for HDMI, DP, USB C and VGA. Pretty happy with the 1L box :) Cheers.

• Like 1

@Jazzoo We're using WEG boot-arg igfxagdc=0 (same as DeviceProperty disable-agdc).  This allows VGA on UHD630.  You'll still see posts in InsanelyMac that say VGA is no longer supported, but as you found, it is!

Just out of curiosity, what display type are your specifying for your VGA port in your frame buffer patching (DeviceProperties)?

Note that when I was developing the EFI for this hack, I needed to add igfxagdc=0 in order to allow SMBIOS Model MacMini8,1 to support multiple, simultaneous displays (without this WEG boot-arg, MacMini8,1 was constrained to a single display).

EDIT: Giving credit where credit is due: I learned about the need for disabling AGDC from @shuhung in "the forum that shall not be named."

Edited by deeveedee

@deeveedee My DeviceProperties section is not changed from the original EFI on the first page. Since it was working well for both DP I never had to touch it. I am not gonna use any VGA displays, it was just a test and I was surprised (in a good way)  :) Next week I am going to switch to my 4K/60Hz display. Does anybody tried 1440p/144Hz or 165Hz ?

As I mentioned here, I'm not planning to upgrade this HackMini8,1 to OC0.8.9, but I did upgrade my HackBookPro6,2 (a very easy upgrade) to OC0.8.9 and many of the upgrade steps are the same.  If you want to upgrade this HackMIni8,1 from OC0.8.8 to OC0.8.9, the upgrade changes are as follows:

Upgrade from OC0.8.8 -> OC0.8.9

• Upgrade EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi
  • Upgrade EFI/OC/Drivers/*.*
  • Upgrade EFI/OC/OpenCore.efi
  • Upgrade EFI/OC/Tools/*.*
  • Upgrade EFI/OC/Kexts
    • AppleALC.kext 1.7.8 -> 1.7.9
    • WhateverGreen.kext 1.6.3 -> 1.6.4 
    • FeatureUnlock.kext 1.1.2 -> 1.1.3 (if you use this kext)
  • Modify EFI/OC/config.plist
    • Add UEFI > Quirks > ResizeUsePciRbIo (Boolean, False)

As of this post, my EFI attached to Post #1 remains at OC 0.8.8.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jazzoo said:

:) Next week I am going to switch to my 4K/60Hz display. Does anybody tried 1440p/144Hz or 165Hz ?

You'll know for sure after you test it.  If you need to verify specs before testing, look-up the data sheet for your CPU.  For example, the data sheet for an i5-9600 CPU indicates that 4K is supported at 60Hz.

UHD630 specs for i5-9600 and i5-8500

• 4K SupportYes, at 60Hz

• Max Resolution (HDMI)‡4096 x 2304@24Hz

• Max Resolution (DP)‡4096 x 2304@60Hz

• Max Resolution (eDP - Integrated Flat Panel)‡4096 x 2304@60Hz

EDIT: @Jazzoo  This is an interesting discussion on an Intel forum.  It appears that the 144Hz limit may not be a limitation of the CPU/iGPU alone, but may also have something to do with the motherboard.  According to Intel, 144Hz for 1440p is supported by UHD630.  Will be interested to learn what you find.

EDIT2: This is also interesting discussion about how to calculate total graphics resolutions supported with multiple displays.

EDIT3: Note that your ability to achieve higher graphics resolutions my be limited by the quality of your video cables/connectors.

Edited by deeveedee

@deeveedee Thank you! I will check the information. My 4K monitor is 60Hz. I will use DP to DP cable (Any suggestions for specific model is appreciated).

I'm just curious about the 1440p display, not planning to buy one for the moment, but higher refresh rate is something I would trade for lower resolution than 4K.

• 3 weeks later...

I have upgraded this hack with OpenCore 0.9.0 (upgrade from OC 0.8.8).  My new OC 0.9.0 EFI is attached to Post #1 with the changes listed below.  If you are happy with your hack's performance and operation, you do not need this new EFI.

Changes from OC0.8.8-EFI-R002 to OC0.9.0-EFI-R001

• EFI/BOOT: Update BOOTx64.efi
  • EFI/OC: Update OpenCore.efi
  • EFI/OC/Drivers: Update OpenRuntime.efi, AudioDxe.efi, ResetNvramEntry.efi, HfsPlus.efi
  • EFI/OC/Kexts:
    • Upgrade AppleALC.kext 1.7.8 -> 1.8.0
    • Upgrade Lilu.kext 1.6.3 -> 1.6.4
    • Upgrade VirtualSMC.kext 1.3.0 -> 1.3.1
    • Upgrade WhateverGreen.kext 1.6.3 -> 1.6.4
  • EFI/OC/config.plist
    • Add UEFI > Quirks > ResizeUsePciRbIo (Boolean, False)
  • EFI/OC/Tools: Update tools
Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I made a couple of changes to my EFI that have been low priorities, but I finally got around to changing them.  The changes are as follows and will be included in a future EFI that I attach to Post #1.  The OC config.plist in the EFI attached to Post #1 does not have these changes at the time of this writing.

1. Misc > Boot > HideAuxiliary = True: Hides Auxiliary (e.g., Recover Volumes) menu items from OC boot menu.  Press Space bar at boot menu to show Aux items.
  2. Misc > Security > ScanPolicy = 17760515: Hide EFI from OC boot menu (this is the OC default and had previously been set to 0 which shows all).  For more info, read this.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

On February 14, 2023, HP released BIOS upgrades for the EliteDesk 800 G4 and G5 Minis (version 02.22.00 Rev.A and version 02.16.00 Rev.A respectively).  I haven't tested either of these BIOS upgrades and welcome test results from others.