[Guide] Dell Latitude E6410 (Nvidia) Hackintosh: Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura & Sonoma macOS installations with Open Core Legacy Patching

deeveedee

295 posts in this topic

I do not believe that OCLP is safe to use for secure operations (like accessing bank records and investments).  If you need to perform secure computing operations in Sonoma, buy a Mac or a hack that supports it without OCLP.  See here.

This thread is for Big Sur and later macOS installations on the 2010 Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop with Nvidia Graphics.  I have successfully created an Open Core EFI based on my work here (which had  a custom DSDT, used CLOVER and used DosDude's patcher).  This new solution employs Open Core ACPI hot patches (binary renames and SSDTs, no custom DSDT).  The working solution has virtually no ACPI errors.  Sleep / Wake, Wi-Fi, BlueTooth, USB, Audio, WebCamera, Graphics Acceleration and everything else I have tested is working perfectly in High Sierra and Big Sur.  Virtually all except for BlueTooth is working perfectly in Monterey and Ventura.  In this solution, I used Open Core Legacy Patcher (OCLP, which is designed for real Macs) to create an EFI that I selectively combined with my own custom EFI to produce the correct EFI for Big Sur.  No legacy patching (patches from OCLP) are necessary for High Sierra (which natively supports Nvidia graphics).

2090295896_Screenshot2023-01-30at6_54_12PM.png.12c85664003955ac31112076392c8f5b.png

My known issues with this hack are here.  If I don't list the issue, it works or I didn't test it.

This thread is for a Dell Latitude E6410 with the following specifications:

• Nvidia graphics (this thread will not work for the Dell Latitude E6410 that uses Intel graphics)
  • Broadcom Wi-Fi / Bluetooth (this thread will not work if you have not replaced your original Intel Wi-Fi with Broadcom.  I am using BCM 94352HMB.  Note that at the time of this writing, Bluetooth is not working in Monterey and Ventura, but is working in Big Sur.
  • BIOS Version A17

I am not planning to make this thread a tutorial for beginners.  You will require hackintosh patching experience to follow and use my methods documented here.  If you find something you do not understand, Google is your friend.

I will expand this thread into a brief guide for installing macOS Big Sur and later (as supported) on this old but very capable laptop.

A summary of my hacking approach is documented here.

Big Sur

Spoiler

2007339731_ScreenShot2022-10-27at10_52_37AM.png.b6a6b6cb98c70c3c16156623babde27d.png

Monterey

Spoiler

658348397_ScreenShot2022-10-24at2_21_47PM.png.8d4ace3c8e821664e730477b0f3277bb.png

Ventura

Spoiler

959164582_Screenshot2022-11-12at6_44_11PM.png.936ae5a1695ca992cbb5a439bd660180.png

Sonoma

Spoiler

448897560_Screenshot2023-06-08at6_16_52PM.png.7010527b5c0508e171a309129108c312.png.7274ccf94a8866f028d33da46f5110cc.png

See here for High Sierra EFI

See here for Big Sur EFI (use for Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura)

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

*** Reserved ***

To Do:

• BIOS configuration
  • Finalizing OC EFI: Customization with Platform info, NVCAP
  • Create USB Installer with Legacy Booting and OC EFI
  • Installing macOS on SSD
    • macOS
    • LegacyBoot
    • LogoutHook
  • Applying OCLP post-install patches
  • Lessons learned and observations
    • Use of USB Keyboard and Mouse during installation
  • My methodology to create this solution
    • Converting my custom DSDT to ACPI hot-patches
    • Establishing working baseline with macOS High Sierra
    • Refining ACPI hot patches based on verbose logging
    • Working audio with AppleALC
    • Tools
      • HexFiend
      • Xcode
      • iasl (disassemble and diff patched and unpatched DSDT)
      • MaciASL
      • Hackintool
      • IORegistryExplorer
      • CLOVER ACPI and vBIOS extraction
  • Performance Improvements
    • Disable spotlight
    • Display effects?

• Detailed explanation of ACPI Hot-patches and patching techniques
  • Discuss custom DSDT vs. hot-patches
  • Explore IORegistry
Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

*** Reserved ***

Credits

• CLOVER Developers (for the previous implementations that proved that this HackBookPro6,2 is an awesome laptop)
  • DosDude and Team for previously used Mojave and Catalina patchers
  • OpenCore Developers
  • OCLP Developers:
  • 1Revenger1 for NVCAP Calculator
  • Rehabman

References

• OCLP Patches Explained
  • Rehabman: Patching Laptop DSDTs: Search for '[Guide] Patching LAPTOP DSDT/SSDTs' in another forum.  Read about hot-patching ACPI.
  • My original threads here and here
  • The Dell Latitude E6410 was never able to sleep and wake properly when running macOS.  You'll see many attempts over the years from 2010 to 2019.  I got lucky with the sleep wake solution when I found that the Dell Latitude ACPI was incomplete.  Read my Mojave solution here to see how this solution originally evolved and how I fixed sleep / wake.
Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

*** Reserved ***

Upgrading / Restoring laptop

• Replace Intel Wi-Fi
  • Upgrade RAM
  • Replace CMOS battery
  • Replace main battery pack
  • Power adapter

Other topics

• Improving heat pipe cooling
  • Replacing Auxiliary port CDROM with additional SSD

To Do:

• SD Card slot (is there a working solution?)
Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

Known Issues

• Solved - replace VirtualSMC.kext with FakeSMC.kext (rev 3) or add boot-arg vsmcgen=1 for VirtualSMC. Monterey: boot aborts and restarts.
  • Solved - apply post-install patches with OCLP 0.6.8+.  Monterey, Ventura: PhotoBooth video black screen (camera works in other apps, like Zoom).  With the AMFIPass Beta versions of OCLP, PhotoBooth crashes when launched in Monterey and Ventura.  Solution is still to use PhotoBooth in Big Sur if you need it.
  • Solved - use BluetoolFixup.kext version 2.6.5 or later.  Monterey, Ventura: Bluetooth does not work (may be specific to SMBIOS Model MBP6,2).  Known issue here.
  • No longer observing this.  Big Sur (maybe other macOS versions): Won't shutdown when Norton 360 installed.  Work-around: disable Idle scans.
  • No longer observing after OCLP 0.6.1.  Safari does not work properly with some websites: Sometimes this can be fixed by re-applying Post-Install patches with OCLP.  If OCLP patches don't fix problem, use another browser (e.g. Firefox or Chrome).
  • Solved - Reset NVRAM.  macOS boot failures after previously booting with a different version of macOS: Reset NVRAM before booting a new version of macOS
  • Solved - replace VirtualSMC.kext with FakeSMC.kext (rev 3) or add boot-arg vsmcgen=1 for VirtualSMC. Ventura: boots only with -v boot-arg
  • Solved - use tccplus here.  Accessibility permission dialogs are suppressed when disabling amfi.  Note that use of tccplus is no longer necessary when using AMFIPass.kext (Library Validation & AMFI fully enabled).
  • Not a problem - no change needed.  My PortTypes in USBPorts.kext are consistent with those in OCLP's AppleUSBMaps/Plist.  Will be included in future EFI release.  See my updated USBPorts.kext here.  USB Port patching (USBPorts.kext) has incorrect port types.
  • Solved - use Open Core Legacy Patcher 0.6.3.  Messaging app does not work in Ventura.  This appears to be a graphics issue during app setup when first launching the app.  Stay on Monterey if you need Messaging.  This is only a UI issue, since Message notifications appear properly in Ventura.  On the MacRumors forum, this has been confirmed as an issue with non-metal graphics.
  • Battery status shows "Service Recommended."  I think this is cosmetic, since battery percentage appears to be correctly displayed in menu bar, battery life is good and charging is good.  In Windows 10 and in BIOS Setup, battery is reported as good.  This may be an ACPI patching issue (I didn't apply any battery patches). 
  • External display is not hot-pluggable.  In order to use external display, it must be connected before booting macOS.  After booting macOS with display connected, external display works perfectly.
  • This is resolved with FeatureUnlock.kext version 1.1.4.  MacOS does not boot when FeatureUnlock.kext is enabled.  I have not tried to diagnose this.  Current work-around is to leave FeatureUnlock.kext disabled in OC config.plist.  As indicated here, FeatureUnlock.kext unlocks NightShift on MBP6,2.
  • Windows for Microsoft Remote Desktop and VNC Viewer do not display the full remote desktop in Ventura 13.3.1 patched with OCLP 0.6.5 [DEVELOPER, 20 April 2023].  See here.  Work-around is to minimize and then maximize the window.
  • Microsoft Remote Desktop is not able to "Use All Monitors" in Ventura 13.3.1 patched with OCLP 0.6.5n (20 April 2023).  Work-around is to use MS Remote Desktop in Monterey as described here.
  • OCLP post-install patches may work incorrectly and/or may not be upgradeable to newer OCLP patch versions (e.g., I was unable to upgrade my Monterey 12.6.5 post-install patches from 0.6.3 to 0.6.5).  Use OCLP to "Revert Root Patches" (Open OCLP GUI -> Post Install Root Patch -> Revert Root Patches) and then reboot before applying a new version of OCLP root patches.  If "Revert Root Patches" doesn't fix the problem, install macOS in a new APFS volume and migrate data/apps from the old volume.
  • Enabling "Reduce transparency" in Big Sur causes System Preferences to crash and is not recoverable within Big Sur.  See  recovery procedure here.  Do not enable "Reduce transparency" in Big Sur.
  • Bluetooth doesn't work in Monterey and Ventura.  Solution is to use latest BluetoothSpoof.kext. For Ventura 13.4, use this additional fix.
  • In Basic Mode, the Calculator app displays "Not a number" for results.  As a work-around, switch to Scientific Mode.  Switching back to Basic Mode after using Scientific Mode resolves the display issue.  EDIT: I just discovered that tapping C to clear the display in Basic Mode also fixes the Calculator display (without needing to toggle modes between Scientific and Basic).
Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

High Sierra Solution

This EFI uses FakeSMC here instead of VirtualSMC to remain consistent with my Big Sur EFI here in the next post.  Use HWMonitor here to view FakeSMC sensors.  The attached EFI disables Intel and Nvidia sensor kexts, so you will need to enable these kexts to see Intel and Nvidia sensors in HWMonitor.

*** I have Firewire and SD Card disabled in my BIOS, so the attached EFI disables ACPI > Add > FRWR and does not include VoodooSDHC.kext.  If you want Firewire and SD Card support, enable Firewire (1394) and SD Card in BIOS, enable ACPI > Add > FRWR in config.plist and add VoodooSDHC.kext ***

Baseline solution for macOS High Sierra (the latest version of macOS that can be installed on this hack without a patcher)

• The attached EFI is based on OpenCore 0.8.8
  • Installing High Sierra
    • Create a High Sierra USB installer
    • Use OpenCore's LegacyBoot utility to install Duet on the USB installer
    • Add your custom PlatformInfo to the attached EFI
    • Copy the attached EFI (with your custom PlatformInfo) to the USB EFI
    • Boot from the USB stick and install High Sierra to your SSD
    • Use OpenCore's LegacyBoot Utility to install Duet on the SSD
    • Copy the attached EFI (with your custom PlatformInfo) to the SSD EFI
    • Boot High Sierra from the SSD
    • After booting High Sierra, use OpenCore's LogoutHook utility to install emulated NVRAM

OC0.8.8-EFI-HighSierra-R03.zip

Edited by deeveedee
Upgraded to OC0.8.8, Switched from VirtualSMC to FakeSMC

Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura Solution (also supports Sonoma, but without full non-metal graphics acceleration, without Wi-Fi and without Bluetooth)

This EFI will boot multiple versions of macOS as stated below.  If you switch from one version of macOS to another (e.g., you boot Ventura, shutdown and boot Big Sur), be sure to ResetNVRAM before booting the new version of macOS.

This EFI uses VirtualSMC with boot-arg vsmcgen=1.  FakeSMC and related sensor kexts are included in OC/Kexts, but are not enabled in config.plist.  IF you want to use HWMonitor here to view FakeSMC sensors, you must disable VirtualSMC and enable FakeSMC/sensor kexts in config.plist.

The attached EFI for Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma (still a work in progress) is based on Open Core 0.9.3 and incorporates elements of the EFI generated by Open Core Legacy Patcher AMFIPass Beta 4 for MacBookPro6,2.  It boots Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma without issues.  Once booted, Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura work well.  Sonoma works without full non-metal graphics acceleration, without Wi-Fi and without Bluetooth. Note that the OCLP team is still working on support for Sonoma.  At the time of this post, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and non-metal graphics accleration are working well in Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura, but not in Sonoma.

• Installing Big Sur
    • Create a Big Sur+ USB installer
    • Use OpenCore's LegacyBoot utility to install Duet on the USB installer
    • Add your custom PlatformInfo to the attached EFI
    • Copy the attached EFI (with your custom PlatformInfo) to the USB EFI
    • Boot from the USB stick and install Big Sur to your SSD
    • Use OpenCore's LegacyBoot Utility to install Duet on the SSD
    • Copy the attached EFI (with your custom PlatformInfo) to the SSD EFI
    • Boot Big Sur from the SSD
    • After booting Big Sur for the first time from your SSD, use OpenCore's LogoutHook utility to install emulated NVRAM.  Do not reboot.
    • After installing LogoutHook utility, use OpenCore Legacy Patcher to apply patches for MacBookPro6,2.  If OCLP does not auto-detect your MacBookPro6,2 SMBIOS Mac model, open OCLP Settings to change SMBIOS to MacBookPro6,2 and then apply patches.
    • Reboot

OC0.9.3-EFI-BigSur-R05_AMFIBETA4.zip

Edited by deeveedee
Upgraded to OC 0.9.3 and OCLP AMFIPass Beta 4, Replaced FakeSMC with VirtualSMC
  • Like 2

*** Build Open Core may be greyed out in OCLP patcher menu.  Solution is to Choose Settings and select MacBookPro6,2 ***

Leaving post below for historical purposes.

====================================

Build Open Core is greyed out in OCLP

EDIT2: With OCLP 0.5.0 Beta, I found that I need to change SMBIOS Model to MacBookPro6,1 in order to restore 'Build and Install OpenCore' option.  Since i'm not using the actual OCLP-generated EFI and am only extracting elements of the EFI (kexts, boot-args), generating an OpenCore EFI for MBP6,1 should be fine.  Hopefully this is fixed in a future version of OCLP.

EDIT: After I performed the work-around below, I found that all I needed to do in the GUI was open Settings and change the model to MacBookPro6,2.  After changing the model (which was incorrectly detected as Latitude E6410), Build and Install OpenCore is available.

Spoiler

750063830_ScreenShot2022-10-18at1_00_03AM.png.f6f37413fff5e19ba5b1ff993653bef5.png

------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler

775966745_ScreenShot2022-10-17at11_32_00PM.png.d9d1c2c56841100e65c51a855fbf0362.png

I didn't find a way to "ungrey" the Build and Install OpenCore option for OCLP 0.4.11 (because it detects my hack as Latitude E6410 which is an unsupported model), so I did the following:

• Upgrade python3
  • Downoad OCLP 0.4.11 source from here
  • Download and install required python dependencies
    • requests
    • objc
    • wx
  • Launch OCLP terminal mode (without GUI)
    • Run terminal version of OCLP with command: OpenCore-Patcher.command
    • Select option 3 and specify model as MacBookPro6,2
    • Select option 1 to build OpenCore
  • Run 'OpenCore-Patcher.command --help' to see available command line arguments. 
Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

On my Mojave and Catalina solutions (using CLOVER and DosDude patchers), users reported that the Dell Latitude E6410 cooling fan would run constantly.  I occasionally observed this myself and had recommended the use of Fn-Z to turn off the CPU fan when it was running unnecessarily.

The CPU cooling fan is working perfectly on this new OpenCore implementation with OCLP hot-patches.  I never need to use Fn-Z to turn off an  annoying CPU cooling fan.

I don't know if the CPU cooling fan behavior change is because I'm using ACPI hot-patches (so I don't need to Fix Regions that are broken by a custom DSDT) or if this is because I was more careful with my ACPI hot-patches than I was with my custom DSDT or because of improvements in Open Core (that are probably now in CLOVER as well).

Whatever the reason, power management on this new OpenCore/OCLP implementation is outstanding.

Edited by deeveedee

Graphics Spoofing

The High Sierra 10.13.6 AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext defines two Nvidia Graphics Power Management profiles for MBP6,2:

Spoiler

1972632006_ScreenShot2023-02-05at10_46_29AM.png.a48b0fbe140eb1141f219fc0b0bba13a.png

My SSDT-GFX0 currently spoofs pci10de,0a29.  When I was developing solutions for Mojave and then Catalina, I experimented with pci10de,0a34 as well, but didn't see any differences.   The unpatched device id is pci10de,0a6c (GT218 [NVS 3100M]).

pci10de,0a29: Nvidia GT216M [GeForce GT 330M]

pci10de,0a34: Nvidia GT216M [GeForce GT 240M]

Compare 330M and 240M

Edited by deeveedee

The intermittent Monterey boot issue is solved by replacing VirtualSMC.kext with FakeSMC.kext.  This can also be solved by adding boot-arg vsmcgen=1 for VirtualSMC.

===============================================

Issues to be resolved for Monterey 12.6+

• *** Solved *** Built-in PS2 keyboard is not available for use with OC boot picker.  Must use external USB keyboard for boot picker. I found that if I press <F12> to open the BIOS boot menu and I select a BIOS boot device, the built-in keyboard works.  I only observed the internal ps2 keyboard problem when I enable Driver OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi (load early).  The problem was that I was loading OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi when using Duet/LegacyBoot.  See here.
    When using Duet/LegacyBoot with NVRAM emulation, set UEFI > Drivers > OpenRuntime.efi to load early and ignore this ocvalidate error:  Also change OpenRuntime.efi > LoadEarly = False.
  • *** Solved - I think it was a SSD incompatibility *** Monterey installer does not see target SSD.  I am planning to test CtlnaAHCIPort.kext.  I think this is a SSD brand/model problem.  SSD brands/models are creating a testing nightmare for me.  Only one of the many SSDs that I have works reliably without macOS complaining.  I have confirmed that this is at least in part caused by the SSD itself.  I cannot install Big Sur and Monterey to an ADATA SU 800 128GB SATA SSD.  I have had success with an ADATA SU800 256 GB SATA SSD.  
  • *** Solved with alcdelay=3000 *** AppleALC delay problem is back.  I have seen times where there is no delay during boot and other times when there is a delay.  The intermittent nature of this may make it hard to diagnose / resolve. - I currently have an EFI that boots without AppleALC delay.  The changes I made are ordering of kext injection and completely disabling SIP.  I suspect that I need to revisit the way I am partially disabling SIP.  I noticed that boot-arg alcdelay must be set differently depending on whether I'm booting from SSD or USB stick, so this is a driver timing problem.
  • *** Solved by switching USB keyboards *** IOHIDDevice USB error in verbose boot log after modifying EFI for Monterey Installation.  I had a cheap USB keyboard plugged into one of the laptop USB ports.  Replacing this keyboard with a genuine Apple USB keyboard resolved this problem. I suspect that the keyboard did not need to be a genuine Apple keyboard and just think that the cheap keyboard was the problem.
  • *** Solved by switching back to USBInjectAll.kext *** Lost USB ports after upgrade from Big Sur to Monterey.  USB ports are back after switching from USBInjectAll.kext to USBPorts.kext (generated by Hackintool).
  • *** Solved applying Monterey update *** Unable to login to InsanelyMac website using Safari 16.1 in Monterey 12.6.1.  In order to type this, I am using Firefox 106.0.1.  My only solution at this time is to use Firefox when having problems with Safari.  I am no longer experiencing this problem after a recent Monterey/Safari update.
  • *** Solved by adding boot-args bpr_initialdelay=400 bpr_postresetdelay=400 *** Booting Monterey may fail and result in reboot shortly after the boot sequence begins.  This most likely after resetting NVRAM and may have something to do with simulate NVRAM. Solution may be to add boot-args bpr_initialdelay=400 bpr_postresetdelay=400 to delay BrcmPatchRAM3 communication with the Bluetooth module.
  • Solved with latest BluetoothSpoof.kext and this fix.  Bluetooth does not work in Monterey and Ventura.  Known issue here.
  • In Monterey and Ventura, Video camera is not displayed in Photo Booth app.  Video camera works in other apps like Zoom.  This is a known issue being worked on by OCLP developers and remains a low priority for me.  Video camera does not work in Monterey
Edited by deeveedee

The intermittent Monterey boot issue is solved by replacing VirtualSMC.kext with FakeSMC.kext or add boot-arg vsmcgen=1 for VirtualSMC.  Leaving the post below for historical purposes.

=========================================

EDIT: This is solved by adding boot-args bpr_initialdelay=400 bpr_postresetdelay=400 for BrcmPatchRAM3

-------------------------------------------------------

I'm stuck trying to diagnose and fix a Monterey boot-loop.  The Monterey installer completed two passes, but when I attempt to boot from the installed Monterey volume, my hack reboots.  The last line in the verbose boot log before the reboot is 'console relocated to 0xf9100000'

My only guess at this point is that its my SSD (I'm using a Samsung SATA SSD).  I have tried Kernel > Quirks > SetApfsTrimTimeout = -1 and 0.

I will look for another SATA SSD to try.  In the mean time, are there any suggestions?

Monterey boot loop

Spoiler

monterey-boot-loop.png.60adedd22229e3c4aee4e867a0ba03ac.png

EDIT: I am now testing OCLP 5 Beta.  This new patcher adds elements that may be required by this HackBookPro6,2 for Monterey (like IntelCPUPowerManagement).

My stable baseline on this hack is Big Sur 11.7.  It runs very well.

Edited by deeveedee

Getting close...

Monterey running on Dell Latitude E6410 (NVidia)

Spoiler

1958197034_ScreenShot2022-10-20at11_13_28PM.png.c86cf04e3f159463c3c28f2967f6e5b2.png

EDIT: I am now booting my Dell Latitude with High Sierra, Big Sur and Monterey.  I used OCLP 5 (not yet released) to help with my Monterey installation.  Once I prepared a repeatable install process, I will post the instructions and EFI.

EDIT2: I now have a single candidate EFI that I have successfully used to install Big Sur and Monterey.  The Big Sur install and operation is flawless.  Monterey still has issues.  I see Monterey improving with newer releases of OCLP.  I'm continuing to test and will only post my EFI and instructions when I'm confident that I won't be making many changes after my post.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I now have two EFIs that I'm cleaning-up to be posted in this thread.  The High Sierra EFI is attached here and is described below.  The Big Sur EFI is attached here and is described below.

1. OC-0.8.5-HighSierra-Rev1: This EFI is specific to macOS High Sierra.  Since High Sierra natively supports NVidia, this EFI has no legacy patching and is a "Vanilla" patching of the Dell Latitude E6410 (NVidia Graphics).  Everything I tested in High Sierra works perfectly with this EFI.
  2. OC-0.8.5-BigSur-Rev1: This EFI is specific to macOS Big Sur and also boots Monterey.  This EFI is derived from my EFI for High Sierra and includes legacy patching that I learned by inspecting Open Core Legacy Patcher.  After installing Big Sur (and Monterey) with this EFI, macOS must be patched with Open Core Legacy Patcher to enable NVidia graphics acceleration.  I struggled to develop a fully working solution for Monterey, but failed to resolve all issues.  The Monterey issues that I could not fix (yet) are:
    1. In Monterey 12.6.1, Bluetooth does not work.  This could be specific to my Broadcom Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card.  If I attempt to enable Bluetooth, all USB breaks.  For now, I am intentionally "breaking" Bluetooth USB mapping so that the external USB 2 ports work.
    2. In Monterey 12.6.1, the internal video camera does not display video in Photo Booth (the only video app I tested).  The camera appears in IORegistryExplorer and the camera LED illuminates when opening Photo Booth, but the display is black in Photo Booth.
    3. *** Solved with Monterey and Safari upgrade.  No more issues with Safari and InsanelyMac website. *** In Monterey 12.6.1, I am unable to login to InsanelyMac.com with Safari 16.1.  My work-around is to use Firefox which works fine.
Edited by deeveedee

Leaving this post for historical purposes, but this problem was solved with newer versions of BlueToolFixup.kext.

--------------------------------------------------------

I was reading brcmpatchram issues for Monterey which lead me to re-read the Acidanthera doc here. I saw this explanation which may indicate that I'm incorrectly using BluetoolFixup

BlueToolFixup.kext

Required for macOS 12 or newer, as in macOS 12 Apple has changed parts of the Bluetooth stack from kernel-space to user-space as detailed in here and here. Requires Lilu 1.5.4+

Do not use it with BrcmBluetoothInjector for macOS 12 or newer.

EDIT: I added the following MaxKernel limitation to BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext (in config.plist Kernel > Add).  Now Monterey boots faster and I can open the Bluetooth Pref Pane (couldn't open the Bluetooth Pref Pane before when Bluetooth was enabled in USBPorts.kext), but I can't turn-on bluetooth.  Getting closer...

1708257303_ScreenShot2022-10-24at9_17_36PM.png.bd79fc96f2a48b6212d3842a330a436f.png

This issue documents the problem that I'm seeing with Bluetooth in Monterey.  It might be that I need to play with kext loading order.

EDIT2: I have reverted to USBInjectAll.kext / SSDT-UIAC with Monterey and see no difference in USB behavior.  External USB2 ports work, but Bluetooth is still not working.  I don't think that my use of USBPorts.kext for Monterey is making any difference.

EDIT3: I have tried different combinations of kexts and kext orders to no avail.  I am beginning to think that this is a problem specific to SMBIOS MacModel MacBookPro6,2.

Edited by deeveedee

Monterey updates are available normally for this HackBookPro6,2.  Amazing.

Monterey 12.6.1 Update

Spoiler

1937463583_ScreenShot2022-10-25at8_03_00AM.png.3c47d1b263de19fc640b38253b56de1e.png

EDIT: Looking more closely at this update, my HackBookPro6,2 is already running Monterey 12.6.1, so I'm not sure why it thinks it needs this update.  Is it possible that the build that I created using OCLP was an early not-yet-released version of 12.6.1?

Already running 12.6.1

Spoiler

374726824_ScreenShot2022-10-25at8_08_47AM.png.730927a7c7ea34154b396ca9cd75edf3.png

EDIT2: The OCLP team is incredible!  The Monterey upgrade completed without issues.  After the upgrade completed, OCLP automatically detected the need for NVidia patches.  Very easy upgrade.  OCLP has done a great job of making macOS Monterey supported on this old hack.

EDIT3: Same great experience with macOS Big Sur:

Spoiler

798759408_ScreenShot2022-10-25at10_40_04AM.png.d4f55b96265d2a23b3c648f16994dd03.png

Spoiler

868249123_ScreenShot2022-10-25at1_52_24PM.png.2f406fa824d96a90d65c66fc070ba427.png

Edited by deeveedee

The intermittent Monterey boot issue is solved by replacing VirtualSMC.kext with FakeSMC.kext or add boot-arg vsmcgen=1 for VirtualSMC.  Leaving the post below for historical purposes.

============================================

EDIT2: Leaving the posts below for some history regarding this Monterey boot issue, but I believe I have improved Monterey booting.   Since Bluetooth is not working in Monterey, I have set MaxKernel to 20.99.99 (Big Sur) for BrcmFirmwareData and BrcmPatchRAM3 kexts.  With these kexts loading only in Big Sur and not Monterey, Monterey still has an occasional boot issue but the boot problem seems to be less frequent.

EDIT: There is something else going on with Monterey booting, since it still fails occasionally (only to boot normally on the next reboot).  I think that the boot issue is some sort of timing problem, since the Monterey boot failure is more likely when boot-arg -v is removed (booting is slower with -v).  If Monterey fails to boot, a reboot resolves the problem and Monterey boots normally.

By adding BrcmPatchRAM3 boot-args bpr_initialdelay=400 bpr_postresetdelay=400, I have fixed the Monterey (and rare Big Sur) boot issues.  Both Big Sur and Monterey boot flawlessly with my posted Big Sur EFI after adding these boot args.  I am still trying to resolve non-working Bluetooth and non-working Video Camera in Monterey before I post a revised Big Sur EFI.

Edited by deeveedee

This Dell Latitude E6410 is very picky about SSDs when running macOS.  Note that I'm not observing these SSD issues when running Windows 10 on this laptop.   With macOS (High Sierra, Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura) I am finding SATA SSD drive compatibility issues. I am also experiencing drive behavior that is different depending on whether the SSD is in the primary or auxiliary bay. Others had reported this when I published my previous CLOVER solution, but this is the first I'm observing this myself.  I am also finding that when a "bad" SSD is installed in the auxiliary bay and macOS is booting from a "good" SSD in the primary bay, the "bad" SSD in the aux bay can still cause problems for macOS as macOS attempts to mount the aux-bay SSD and repeatedly fails with disk I/O errors.

Try a different SATA SSD if experiencing macOS install problems. Also perform macOS installations with the SSD in the primary bay. 

SSDs that works for me

• ADATA SU800 512GB
  • Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

SSDs that do NOT work for me

• ADATA SU800 128GB
  • ADATA SP550 120GB
  • Kingston SSDNOW 300 (SV300S37A) 240GB
Edited by deeveedee

The NVCAP value that I included in my posted EFIs was generated by @1Revenger1 's NVCAP calculator.  I entered the values below to create the NVCAP value in my SSDT-GFX0 (EFI/OC/ACPI/SSDT-GFX0.aml).  Using this NVCAP value, the internal display and external VGA both work (VGA must be connected during macOS boot).  I do not have a DP display to test with the external DP port, but the DP port does not work with a DP->DVI adapter.

• Version: 5

• Mobile: true

• Head 1: Digital

• Head 2: Analog

• Composite: false

• Script: false

• Field F: 0xf

NOTES: I used CLOVER to extract the Dell Latitude's Video BIOS (required for NVCAP Calculator).  NVCAP calculator detected 4 display options: Digital, Analog, DVI, DVI.  When I attached the DVI displays to Head 1 (so that Head 1 had 3 displays: Digital, DVI, DVI), my internal display did not work.  For my currently working configuration, I left both DVI displays unspecified in NVCAP Calculator.

EDIT: The original NVCAP value that I used in my CLOVER/DosDude solution here was the result of trial and error (by looking at old posts from other Latitude E6410 users).  I found that this original NVCAP value equates to the following values entered into NVCAP Calculator:

• Version: 4
  • Mobile: false
  • Head 1: Digital
  • Head 2: Analog, DVI
  • Composite: false
  • Script: false
  • Field F: 0x7 (older GPU)

In the original NVCAP value that I was using, one of the DVI displays was left unassigned (not attached to a Head).

Edited by deeveedee

The intermittent Monterey boot issue is solved by replacing VirtualSMC.kext with FakeSMC.kext or add boot-arg vsmcgen=1 for VirtualSMC.  Leaving the post below for historical purposes.

===========================================

I thought I fixed the Monterey boot issue (quick reboot during initial boot before progress bar registers any progress), but I have not fixed it yet.  Below are the verbose logs for a normal boot and the failed boot.  Does anyone have any suggestions about what might be happening in Monterey that causes the failed boot?  I think that resolving this is going to require someone more advanced than me like @Stefanalmare, @miliuco, @PoMpIs@Slice@MaLd0n, @1Revenger1 or @antuneddu (I hope I didn't offend anyone by leaving them off of the list, since there are many other advanced users in this forum).  Note that at the end of the verbose log in the "Failed Boot" screen below, the laptop reboots.  It may stay in this failed boot loop several times before successfully booting.  Big Sur boots fine with the same EFI attached here.

EDIT: I attached IOReg dumps captured in Big Sur and Monterey, along with differences between the two that I noticed.

Normal boot

Spoiler

IMG_2194.thumb.PNG.b769dd5378213c08a1f010de6015477f.PNG

Failed boot (verbose output interrupted when printing "AppleACPICPU: Process Id=6 LocalApic Id=5 Disabled" and instead prints "AppleACPICPU: Process Id=6 Loconsole relocated to 0xf91000000"

Spoiler

IMG_2195.thumb.PNG.dd1a054293f423e3a778c3e31062b6a8.PNG

WebCam Differences between Monterey and Big Sur

Spoiler

WebCam-Diffs.png.80b28cb51d6334fd151a30e494035f34.png

GFX0 Differences between Monterey and Big Sur

Spoiler

GFX0-Diffs.png.5e4a7c9b4db2f56644c271bb016bc5ad.png

MontereyIOReg.zip BigSurIOReg.zip

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

The intermittent Monterey boot issue is solved by replacing VirtualSMC.kext with FakeSMC.kext or add boot-arg vsmcgen=1 for VirtualSMC.  Leaving the post below for historical purposes.

===========================================

@Slice Thank you for the suggestion.  I've tried npci=0x3000, npci=0x2000 and cpus=1 without success.  With any of these boot-args, the Monterey boot halts at a different place and does not reboot automatically.  With npci=0x3000, after Monterey boot freezes, I have to force shutdown by holding the power button.  Without npci=0x3000, Monterey boot halts and the laptop reboots.  This problem is going to be hard to diagnose and debug, because my laptop can boot Monterey without issues for several boot cycles and then fail to boot for several boot cycles - all without making any configuration changes.  If you have any other guesses, let me know.  Thank you.

Monterey boot with npci=0x3000

Spoiler

IMG_2200.thumb.PNG.5af9926a8cec44b698ef1902b7eeaf70.PNG

Edited by deeveedee