[GUIDE] Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh

deeveedee
881 posts in this topic

Installed macOS Sonoma with EFI from @deeveedee 0.9.2 and since I don't have the new lilu.kext 1.6.6 added -lilubetall.

The installation went without a problem. The programs work, but the Wi-Fi doesn't work for me, I don't know why, but I have Ethernet so there is no problem.

• Like 3

For those who wish to change their "About This Mac" description in Sonoma, the procedure for changing this is the same as what I posted for Ventura here.

I haven't installed Sonoma yet on this HackMini8,1, but I have confirmed the system description change on my HackBookPro6,2:

About This Hack: Sonoma

Spoiler

1031694690_Screenshot2023-06-09at11_09_17AM.png.0967cb0ff43f8ca52d26fe2ec83c3650.png

@luky35 I haven't installed Sonoma on our HackMini8,1 yet, so I haven't seen the warning you're posting. I think it will be better to start debugging and reporting OpenCore issues after Acidanthera has a chance to release OC 0.9.3 and the associated kexts and we have installed an updated EFI with the OC 0.9.3 release.

Edited by deeveedee
Fixed typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2023 at 10:16 PM, deeveedee said:

For those who wish to change their "About This Mac" description in Sonoma, the procedure for changing this is the same as what I posted for Ventura here.

I haven't installed Sonoma yet on this HackMini8,1, but I have confirmed the system description change on my HackBookPro6,2:

About This Hack: Sonoma

Reveal hidden contents

1031694690_Screenshot2023-06-09at11_09_17AM.png.0967cb0ff43f8ca52d26fe2ec83c3650.png

Still change normal on Sonoma

It doesn't look like NVMeFix.kext will support Sonoma (see comment here).  I'm not sure yet, but it might be necessary to add MaxKernel limit for NVMeFix.kext in our OC config.plist so that NVMeFix.kext does not load for macOS versions after Ventura (maxKernel limit would be 22.99.99).  This may be a temporary change if Acidanthera gets developer help with this kext.

EDIT: The OC 0.9.3 Sample.plist includes the MaxKernel limit for NVMeFix.kext (and the AirportBrcm kexts).  I'm going to interpret this as a recommendation and will include the MaxKernel limit for NVMeFix.kext in my OC 0.9.3 EFI.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

@deeveedee 

Does it make sense to replace the BCM94360 with the original Intel card that was previously in the HP EliteDesk 800 G4 to make it work on Sonoma Wi-Fi, or is it better to wait until the Wi-Fi driver is made and will work on macOS Sonoma.

Thank you and best regards.

@luky35 I think that depends on your need for Wi-Fi in Sonoma.  I don't know how much progress has been made on a Wi-Fi patch for Broadcom, so I can't provide an estimated timeline.  I think it's best to follow the progress in the Sonoma thread.  If you need Wi-Fi in Sonoma before a Broadcom patch is available, then you'll need to switch to an Intel Wi-Fi card or use a supported USB dongle (like the ones reported in the Sonoma thread).  For me, the best option for testing Sonoma is with wired Ethernet, since I'm not in a hurry to switch from Ventura to Sonoma yet.  Your need for Wi-Fi may be different than mine.

EDIT: I just saw an updated status posted by the OCLP Devs.  See this.

Edited by deeveedee

17 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

@luky35 I think that depends on your need for Wi-Fi in Sonoma.  I don't know how much progress has been made on a Wi-Fi patch for Broadcom, so I can't provide an estimated timeline.  I think it's best to follow the progress in the Sonoma thread.  If you need Wi-Fi in Sonoma before a Broadcom patch is available, then you'll need to switch to an Intel Wi-Fi card or use a supported USB dongle (like the ones reported in the Sonoma thread).  For me, the best option for testing Sonoma is with wired Ethernet, since I'm not in a hurry to switch from Ventura to Sonoma yet.  Your need for Wi-Fi may be different than mine.

EDIT: I just saw an updated status posted by the OCLP Devs.  See this.

Thanks.

I have attached a new EFI to Post #1.  The new EFI is based on Open Core 0.9.3 and has the changes below from my previous EFI based on OC 0.9.2.  I have not tested this new EFI with Sonoma, so I'll be interested in your feedback.

• EFI/BOOT: Update BOOTx64.efi
  • EFI/OC: Update OpenCore.efi
  • EFI/OC/Drivers: Update OpenRuntime.efi, AudioDxe.efi, ResetNvramEntry.efi
  • EFI/OC/Kexts:
    • Upgrade AppleALC.kext 1.8.2 -> 1.8.3
    • Upgrade Lilu.kext 1.6.5 -> 1.6.6
    • Upgrade VirtualSMC.kext 1.3.1 -> 1.3.2
    • Upgrade WhateverGreen.kext 1.6.4 -> 1.6.5
    • Moved sample USBPorts kexts to EFI/OC/Kexts/SampleUsbKexts folder
  • EFI/OC/config.plist
    • Kernel > Add > NVMeFix.kext (Item 3): MaxKernel = 22.9.9 (Ventura)
    • Add UEFI > Output > ConsoleFont (String, Empty)
    • Add UEFI > ProtocolOverrides > PciIo (Boolean, False)
  • EFI/OC/Tools: Update tools

Note that the sample USB Ports kexts are now in EFI/OC/Kexts/SampleUsbPorts folder.  If you need Bluetooth or you want to make any changes to the USB Port Map, read these instructions.  My EFI includes a default USBPorts.kext mapping that does NOT enable the Bluetooth USB port (HS14).

At the time of this post, NVMeFix.kext does not work in Sonoma, so the config.plist in this new EFI sets a MaxKernel limit of 22.9.9 (Ventura) on NVMeFix.kext.  NVMeFix.kext will not be loaded if you run macOS versions newer than Ventura.  This may change in the future if Acidanthera fixes NVMeFix.kext compatibility with newer versions of macOS.

Edited by deeveedee

@luky35 You know how to find this.  You're not giving yourself enough credit.  Read the detailed explanation of changes that I provided here and then view the config.plist in the OC EFI that I have attached to Post #1.  

NVMeFix.kext: MaxKernel

Spoiler

1322658213_ScreenShot2023-06-16at8_11_12AM.png.c085026809a1230e3472e14539b8d7d7.png

@luky35 ???

NVMeFix.kext is referenced in "Kernel > Add > Item 3" in the config.plist in MY EFI that I have attached to Post #1.  You are not using my EFI.  NVMeFix.kext is referenced in "Kernel > Add > Item 6" in YOUR EFI.  Take some time to review the Kernel > Add items in the OC config.plist so that you understand how they are numbered.  It's easy after you study it for a few minutes.

EDIT: We're only changing the MaxKernel value for NVMeFix.kext - not AppleALC.kext.  If you have any AirportBrcm kexts, then you'll need to specify MaxKernel for the AirportBrcm kexts until Broadcom Wi-Fi is fixed in Sonoma.  If you are not using the EFI (and the config.plist) that I provide, then it is up to you to map my suggested changes to your EFI.  Doing this requires you to understand the EFI and how to edit your config.plist.

Edited by deeveedee

3 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@luky35 Read this.  Now, what is wrong with your config.plist?

Hint

Reveal hidden contents

2125226070_ScreenShot2023-06-22at8_35_05AM.png.eb0606fda487a407fef612abd9868912.png

Removed AirportBrcmFixup.kext and Sonoma install goes normally.

Thank you very much for the tip.

P.S.

When restarting, everything stops and does not go anywhere.
Unfortunately, the installation failed.

Edited by luky35