[GUIDE] Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh

deeveedee
873 posts in this topic

I needed to set Misc > Security > SecureBootModel = Disabled in order to upgrade Sonoma from 14.4 -> 14.4.1.  After the upgrade, I restored SecureBootModel = Default.

About This Hack: Sonoma 14.4.1

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-03-25at10_17_08PM.png.e61c67b68202b97df0af7b3d6554bd4d.png

Thanks for posting. I will update mine next, just the normal disable and then update and return to the default value.

Any quirkiness in Sonoma with display going on and off randomly or you guys all fine?  

In terms of kext updates are your using the latest or just the ones that go with your efi and open core in the post 1.

p.s finally got a rotary tool from a work colleague to collect next week to perform the hard drive mod. Excited to get this done.

Edit - I use the display port to the monitor directly with no additional adapters used. 

Also in terms of upgrading did you do the updates via ota? As I looked but nothing avail at present for ventura or Sonoma.

My efi folder in my system is over 50 mb confused to why. 

Edited by logyon

On 3/26/2024 at 6:39 AM, logyon said:

My efi folder in my system is over 50 mb confused to why. 

Flush your trashcan.

In terminal mode go to your EFI folder and enter 'ls -aF' to see hidden folders with leading "." in the names

To understand all ls options enter 'man ls'

Posted (edited)

I am investigating the use of SecureBootModel with hackintoshes, so I started a new thread here.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

If the Open Core change log remains as planned, the next release of Open Core will be version 1.0.0.  There's nothing significant about this version numbering, as it is simply the numerical progression from version 0.9.9.  As with recent OCLP versions after OCLP 0.9.6, there does not appear to me to be any compelling reason to upgrade to the latest Open Core binaries; however, I will be updating the OC EFI attached to Post #1 only to have an OC EFI for OC 1.0.0.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen 3d printed hard drive caddys for our hp mini elitedesk  v3/4/5.

For those who do not have a caddy or do not wish to modify their original one then i have collated the ones i found below.

I have still not seen away to incorporate the fan that comes with the original one in.

HP mini drive caddy v3.zipHp mini drive caddy v1.zip

HPmini hd caddy v2.zip

Edited by logyon
  • Like 3

That's nice! I was thinking at some point to do something similar as I wanted to fit one of those 15mm 5TB 2.5inch drives so I can store my movies and use the computer as a Plex server.

On 5/23/2020 at 2:59 PM, deeveedee said:

**********************************************************************************

In this thread, I have fully documented the installation of macOS on my HP EliteDesk 800 G4 / G5 Mini. It is a PERFECT HackMini8,1 and is running very well for me without any issues. I hope this documentation helps you to install macOS on your hack. Please leave feedback if you think there is anything I can improve and let me know if you have any questions.
**********************************************************************************

Background

This is my first "modern" hack supporting UEFI and my first hack using Clover "on-the-fly" patches.  My previous hacks

• Laptop: Thinkpad T61 / Nvidia NVS 140m
  • Laptop: Dell Latitude E6410 / Nvidia G3100m
  • Desktop: Gigabyte G31 / GeForce 9600
  • Desktop: Biostar TH55HD / Sapphire Pulse RX580 (Google "Catalina Biostar TH55HD" and look for user name deeveedee)

are all perfectly running Catalina and I patched them all "manually" - all DSDT patches applied with MaciSL with virtually no Clover on-the-fly patching and all booted Legacy Clover.  This UEFI hack was MUCH easier and took about 20 hours vs. a combined hundreds of hours for the old hacks.  I wanted a hack that was a little more future proof and I think this is it.  I hope you enjoy this as much as I am enjoying it.  It is a perfect MacMini8,1.

c06047206.png

My system specs

• HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini (I9-9900 / UHD 630 / Q370 Chipset / 32GB DDR4 RAM) (also own 800 G5 Mini with i7-9700, 800 G4 Mini with i7-8700 and have owned 800 G4 Mini with i7-8700T - all work perfectly)
  • 3 x DP Ports (connected to monitors using DP -> DVI adapters)
  • 6 x USB 3.1
  • 1 x USB Type-C 3.1
  • 2 x NVMe SSD (M.2 PCIe x4 2280/2230 combo ports)
  • 1 x SATA6 SSD
  • 1 x Intel Ethernet RJ-45
  • Conexant CX20632 Audio Codec
  • I am not using Wi-Fi.   See below in "What is not tested" for Wi-Fi solutions.

macOS Installation 
Important: 
You MUST BE LOGGED-IN to download attachments from this forum

• See macOS installation steps for OC and CLOVER here
  • See Known Issues here for additional installation steps that may not yet be included in my attached config files
  • See OC and CLOVER EFIs in attached to this post

• See BIOS configuration in attached BIOS configuration PDF document

• See how I developed my installation methodology here
  • See references here
  • See instructions here for installing two M.2 2280 NVMe SSDs and one SATA HD / SSD

What is not working

• DRM (no hackintosh solution for DRM with UHD 630 iGPU)
  • Everything else that I have tested is working perfectly

What is not tested

• USB c 3.1 port (I have partially tested the USB 3 functionality of the port and it seems to be working fine with the USBPorts.kext in the attached EFI .zip archives)
  • Wi-Fi / Bluetooth

• I am not currently using Wi-Fi/Bluetooth in this hack, but starting with Sonoma, Broadcom Wi-Fi is not supported without 3rd-party macOS root patches.  I am not in favor of installing Open Core Legacy Patcher (OCLP) root-patches to enable Broadcom Wi-Fi (see my opinion here).  If you need basic Wi-Fi/Bluetooth (and don't care about Apple-specific functions like Airdrop), I recommend Open Wireless project to enable Intel Wi-fi/Bluetooth.  I don't believe that OCLP Wi-Fi root-patches are safe for secure computing operations (e.g., online banking or even accessing your Facebook page).
    • If you prefer Broadcom Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, replace intel Wi-Fi with Broadcom Wi-Fi here and here.

What is working

• Everything not mentioned above
  • Sleep / Wake
  • Multiple displays with IGPU graphics acceleration, hot pluggable display ports and DP->DVI adapters
  • USB 3.1 ports
  • Audio (internal speaker and headphone jack)
  • Ethernet
  • Microphone / front-right audio port (tested with CTIA-style 4-connector headset)

Known Issues and their solutions - see here

BIOS Version / Configuration

• Tested BIOS Versions for G4 Mini: 02.11.01 Rev.A or 02.12.00 Rev.A or 02.14.01 Rev.A, 02.15.00 Rev.A, 02.16.00 Rev.A, 02.17.00 Rev.A, 02.19.00 Rev.A, 02.20.01 Rev A, 02.21.00 Rev.A
  • Tested BIOS Versions for G5 Mini: 02.07.01 Rev.A, 02.08.00 Rev.A, 02.09.00 Rev.A, 02.10.01 Rev.A, 02.11.00 Rev.A, 02.12.00 Rev.A, 02.12.10 Rev.A, 02.13.00 Rev.A, 02.14.01 Rev.A, 02.15.00 Rev.A
  • See attached BIOS configuration in PDF document "HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini BIOS Configuration.pdf"
  • Intel ME must be enabled for proper sleep / wake of UHD 630

UHD 630 Framebuffer Patching

• See here and here to understand my graphics properties for use with WhateverGreen.kext
  • Read this to see my attempt at graphics patching without WhateverGreen.kext (WEG) to get a better understanding of what WEG is doing

Current Versions

• Ventura 13.6.3
  • OpenCore 0.9.6
  • Lilu.kext 1.6.7
  • WhateverGreen.kext 1.6.6
  • AppleALC.kext 1.8.7
  • IntelMausi.kext 1.0.7
  • RestrictEvents.kext 1.1.3
  • VirtualSMC 1.3.2
  • NVMeFix.kext 1.1.1

Elements of this implementation that you may not see in other hacks

• HPET is disabled for the reason stated here
  • RTC memory size is patched (like CLOVER's "Fix RTC") instead of using RtcMemoryFixup.kext for reasons here

ScreenShots

Reveal hidden contents

1365366027_ScreenShot2020-07-15at7_10_41PM.png.deb326cb56ffb0b8bc75f84a3df1c346.png

image.png.b662c542f76b0867a9ee90805cc0762d.png

image.thumb.png.d812999388b717fdd8b82f9d4865be17.png

image.thumb.png.091cf6c278db7901a9abbfaef3964b6b.png

1305846805_ScreenShot2020-06-09at12_03_37PM.png.094266650360a21f9969aa3f73acc9f2.png

image.png.d8398b7785ca4a881631c7692979272d.png

OC0.9.6-EFI-R001.zip 4.1 MB · 409 downloads

HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini BIOS Configuration.pdf 60.44 kB · 1,689 downloads

CLOVER-r5122-v6.zip 4.24 MB · 864 downloads

@deeveedee i recently used "SSDT-HP-sleepfix.aml" to check sleep | wak function & this mentioned method in SSDT-HP-sleepfix.aml works great , 

i just removed SSDT-PTS | SSDT-WAK & corresponding OC patches too & added SSDT-HP-sleepfix to my OC 1.0.0 

I just find the way so declared here, What is the thinking of you on this change please post your views here....

SSDT-HP-sleepfix.aml

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, datafeedexpert said:

@deeveedee i recently used "SSDT-HP-sleepfix.aml" to check sleep | wak function & this mentioned method in SSDT-HP-sleepfix.aml works great , 

i just removed SSDT-PTS | SSDT-WAK & corresponding OC patches too & added SSDT-HP-sleepfix to my OC 1.0.0 

I just find the way so declared here, What is the thinking of you on this change please post your views here....

Thank you!  I will review and test when I get time.  The current SSDT-PTS  is explained here.  It is only necessary if you boot macOS with a SATA SSD (not NVMe SSD).  Are you saying that your SSDT-HP-sleepfix.aml fixes sleep when booting macOS with a SATA SSD?

Note that the current SSDT-WAK is a solution for older ACPI that may not be necessary (but it doesn't do anything if it is not necessary).  Note also that the current SSDT-PTS is not necessary if you are booting macOS with an NVMe SSD, but it doesn't hurt anything if you are booting macOS with an NVMe SSD.

Edited by deeveedee

1 hour ago, deeveedee said:

Thank you!  I will review and test when I get time.  The current SSDT-PTS  is explained here.  It is only necessary if you boot macOS with a SATA SSD (not NVMe SSD).  Are you saying that your SSDT-HP-sleepfix.aml fixes sleep when booting macOS with a SATA SSD?

Note that the current SSDT-WAK is a solution for older ACPI that may not be necessary (but it doesn't do anything if it is not necessary).  Note also that the current SSDT-PTS is not necessary if you are booting macOS with an NVMe SSD, but it doesn't hurt anything if you are booting macOS with an NVMe SSD.

i am not using the SATA ssd i have only M.2 nvme 

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, datafeedexpert said:

i am not using the SATA ssd i have only M.2 nvme 

Ok.  Then you do not need the SSDT-PTS (and shouldn't need SSDT_HP-sleepfix).  The SSDT-PTS that I added (you can read more here) is for users who are booting/running macOS from SATA SSD (not NVMe SSD).  For users booting/running macOS from NVMe SSD, SSDT-PTS is not necessary, but does not hurt anything.

What is the problem that you think SSDT_HP-sleepfix is solving?

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

Ok.  Then you do not need the SSDT-PTS (and shouldn't need SSDT_HP-sleepfix).  The SSDT-PTS that I added (you can read more here) is for users who are booting/running macOS from SATA SSD (not NVMe SSD).  For users booting/running macOS from NVMe SSD, SSDT-PTS is not necessary, but does not hurt anything.

What is the problem that you think SSDT_HP-sleepfix is solving?

There is no problems i just exploring things from other repositories and i found this "SSDT-HP-Sleepfix" so i tried it 

I needed a spare HP EliteDesk Mini, so I picked up a very cheap 800 G4 Mini that includes the AMD dGPU.  Looking forward to creating an EFI for it that works with the RX560.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

@jrhende The EFI attached to Post #1 already includes the "official" AppleALC.kext from Acidanthera.  I'm not familiar with the link you posted, so could you please edit your post to explain the differences between your proposed AppleALC.kext and the "official" Acidanthera version here that we are using in the EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini?  Thank you!

On 4/23/2024 at 12:02 PM, deeveedee said:

I needed a spare HP EliteDesk Mini, so I picked up a very cheap 800 G4 Mini that includes the AMD dGPU.  Looking forward to creating an EFI for it that works with the RX560.

That's exciting! :) Looking forward to see the results. I was thinking of getting one of those but the price to performance didn't justify it enough for me. If not a super confidential information - where did you purchase the Mini from ?

• Like 1

Just now, CloverLeaf said:

That's exciting! :) Looking forward to see the results. I was thinking of getting one of those but the price to performance didn't justify it enough for me. If not a super confidential information - where did you purchase the Mini from ?

I bought it from someone local, but you can find them cheap on Ebay.  I've seen them for as low as $100 USD on Ebay (try searching for 'HP Mini EliteDesk 800 G4 65W 8th Gen i5-8500T' and inspect the listings).  Sometimes sellers don't include the AMD graphics in the title/text (maybe because they don't even know what they're selling).

3 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

I bought it from someone local, but you can find them cheap on Ebay.  I've seen them for as low as $100 USD on Ebay (try searching for 'HP Mini EliteDesk 800 G4 65W 8th Gen i5-8500T' and inspect the listings).  Sometimes sellers don't include the AMD graphics in the title/text (maybe because they don't even know what they're selling).

You are absolutely right. I know that G4s especially 8500T can be found for less than 100$ but the cheapest Mini with dGPU I have ever seen was 300$. Not that I need more computers to play with :D ... but it will be fun to see it working and be able to enjoy some games on low/medium 1080p.

On 4/24/2024 at 2:03 PM, deeveedee said:

@jrhende The EFI attached to Post #1 already includes the "official" AppleALC.kext from Acidanthera.  I'm not familiar with the link you posted, so could you please edit your post to explain the differences between your proposed AppleALC.kext and the "official" Acidanthera version here that we are using in the EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini?  Thank you!

Custom built which adds HP 800 G5 SFF rear audio port using Layout-id=39. The kext is trimmed to only contain Conexant CX20632 audio codecs. May tighten it up when I get some time and submit it to be included in future releases.