[GUIDE] Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh

deeveedee
874 posts in this topic

@Jazzoo I only use Ethernet LAN (no Wi-Fi), but my EliteDesk 800 G4 and G5 use IntelMausi.kext.  I noticed in your EFI that you use RealtekRTL8111.kext and was reminded that you don't have an EliteDesk 800.  Have you searched to see if there are sleep issues with RealtekRTL8111.kext?

EDIT: @Jazzoo I just looked again at your config.plist and see that you enable two Ethernet kexts: IntelMausi.kext and RealtekRTL8111.kext.  You should only have one Ethernet kext enabled.  What is the model of your HP PC?  For EliteDesk 800 G4 and G5, you should have ONLY IntelMausi.kext enabled in your config.plist.

I see some other things in your config.plist, but let's focus on the Ethernet.  Once you figure out which Ethernet kext you need, make sure only the required kext is enabled.  See my PM for more observations.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Thanks 2

I managed to fix the sleep issue when using ethernet lan with a few simple changes to my EFI thanks to @deeveedee.

1. I forgot to disable/delete RealtekRTL8111.kext (needed for my ProDesk 400 Mini) as EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini works with IntelMausi.kext. 

2. My BSD network name was en4 causing problems with some apps/services.I deleted all network preferences and changed the BSD network name to en0 as it should be.

3. Applied the _PTS fix.

4. Deleted igfxfw , igfxagdc and igfxonln boot args as they are defined already in DeviceProperties.

5. Reset NVRAM

All is working good now both under Monterey and Ventura. Thank you!

Here's the fixed EFI.

EFI OC 0.8.4

• Like 1

Agreed.  The upgrade to 12.6 was easy.  After performing a backup of my 12.5.1 disk, I started the upgrade and left my hack unattended.  It was finished when I returned.  I only had to enter my iCloud login credentials to complete the upgrade.  XCode 14 installed easily as well.  I'm having Visual Studio / Xamarin iOS app deployment issues after the XCode 14 update.  Hoping to resolve those soon.

EDIT: Ended up downgrading to XCode 13.4.1 to resolve the problem.  I should have known better - I never upgrade to the first release of a new version of XCode.  Not sure why I did this time.  Need to give Visual Studio / Xamarin time to catch up.

About This Mac: Monterey 12.6

Spoiler

189650670_ScreenShot2022-09-13at4_58_29AM.png.0f555c970625664a64c1cff0e01b018d.png

EDIT2: I'm not sure why, but my printers disappeared after upgrading to 12.6.  I needed to add my printers after the upgrade and the printers are now working normally again.

EDIT3: XCode 14.0.1 fixed all of the build problems that I had with XCode 14.0.  I no longer need to revert to XCode 13.4.1.

Edited by deeveedee

When upgrading from Monterey 12.5.1 to 12.6, my printers disappeared.  I needed to re-add the printers.  One of my printers is an old HP LaserJet 5L (which is connected to a Windows Server via parallel port and shared as a Windows Shared Printer).  My hack prints to the shared windows printer via SMB.  I found that when re-adding the shared Windows printer, I no longer need "?Encryption=no" in the printer's SMB URL.  See details here if you're interested. 

• Like 1

I have problems with Intel wifi now. Even the itlwm.kext is loaded HeliPort says it's not running. Kexts and HeliPort are updated to the latest versions. Not sure what cause the problem because it was working until this morning. Bluetooth is working correctly. Tried older kext/app version and still not working. Same behaviour in Ventura Beta 8. I didn't change anything since my last post with the working EFI. Strange...

image.png.5e7e78d3cdc3733aa09dd22e736d22a3.png

EDIT: Installed Big Sur and Monterey from scratch on a spare drive, same result. Something in my EFI is broken but I cannot find what is it 🤨

Edited by Jazzoo

@Jazzoo I reviewed your EFI and don't see any issues that I can say with certainty are a problem with itlwm.  In your DeviceProperties, you still have items that I mentioned in my PM (e.g., rps-control) which shouldn't be there, but I don't know whether they contribute to the problem you're observing.  I'm not familiar enough with itlwm to give you much help with that solution.  I suggest that you post your itlwm questions in a thread specific to the Intel Wi-Fi solution.  If that doesn't exist, you should create one.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I reviewed the Open Core commit history for version 0.8.5 and don't see anything that compels me to upgrade from 0C 0.8.4.  The OC 0.8.4 EFI attached to Post #1 is working perfectly for Monterey and Ventura Beta.  I expect to post an OC 0.8.5 EFI just to remain current, but don't expect it to make any difference on our rigs.

• Like 1

An off-topic question for everyone who pays attention to this thread... I have hacked an HP Envy x360 15m-bp111dx (Intel i5-8250U / UHD620).  It runs MacOS Monterey PERFECTLY (including HDMI output, screen brightness keys and SDCard Reader).  Would there be any interest in my complete solution if I were to create a new thread and document the full installation (similar to this thread)?  Instead of cluttering this thread with responses, just like this post and I'll know that you're interested.  Thanks!

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Stefano Pugliese Welcome to this thread!  Slice has more experience than I do with a wider array of platforms.  On the HP EliteDesk 800 G4 and G5 Minis, I have had no problems with fresh installations of Monterey.  I would suggest trying a fresh install of Monterey first.  Just my opinion.

Edited by deeveedee

@Stefano Pugliese It's a metal case with a front plastic bezel. Placing one antenna directly behind the front bezel (as is the case with the factory installed antenna) is ok, but I wouldn't recommend installing both antennas inside of the case.  Have you considered using the antenna mounting locations on the back of the case?  I don't use Wi-Fi with this HackMIni, so hopefully others can provide antenna advice.

Edited by deeveedee

I recently got a HP EliteDesk 800 G3 (Core i3 Kabylake, 8GB Ram, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB) and when i get to the final part of the installation, Catalina or BigSur, it reboots and I'm not able to view the Installed OS show up on the OpenCore List. 

Any help would be highly appreciated.

@ShanerWarner This thread is for the HP EliteDesk 800 G4 and G5 Mini.  This solution does not work for the G3 or G3 Mini.  Look at this thread where I helped someone to get their G3 Mini working (my user name was tonyx86 at that time).  Note that the solution in this thread is for the HP Prodesk G3 Mini.  At the very least, it should provide you with hints for your rig.

EDIT: I have personally experienced. problems when using Samsung NVMe SSDs in this HackMini.  I don't recommend them since I believe there are better options, although I'm sure it's possible to use Samsung.  See this.

Edited by deeveedee

I have attached a new EFI to Post #1 based on the newly released Open Core 0.8.5.  This new EFI has the changes listed below.  In my opinion, if you're already running with OC 0.8.4, there's no need to upgrade to this new EFI.  I am providing this new EFI so that this thread stays current.  I have briefly tested this new OC 0.8.5 EFI with Monterey and Ventura Beta.

OC 0.8.5 EFI R001 changes from OC 0.8.4 EFI R001

• EFI/BOOT: Update BOOTx64.efi
  • EFI/OC: Update OpenCore.efi
  • EFI/OC/Drivers: Update OpenRuntime.efi, AudioDxe.efi, ResetNvramEntry.efi
  • EFI/OC/Kexts:
    • No kexts updated
  • EFI/OC/config.plist
    • No config.plist changes
  • EFI/OC/Tools: Update tools
  • Like 2