[GUIDE] Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh

deeveedee
874 posts in this topic

We're running macOS on a Windows PC.  The lines between Alpha, Beta and Stable are very blurry.  In my opinion, since we're all part of this experiment, the only person who can determine whether a hack is stable is the person who's using it.  Best to download it and test it for yourself.  Also best to keep itlwm discussions in that thread.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem on which you may be able to help me

Currently my pc has an i9-9900k but when the cpu temp goes up the fan does not increase the rpm
If I increase the fan speed from the BIOS the fan increases so it seems to work
Not even hardwareinfo or Speedfan sensors detect the fan
I did a stress test on the cpu and the temperature reached 100 ° without the fan increasing the rpm
I have a dual boot and in windows the issue is the same...........

9 hours ago, Stefano Pugliese said:

I have a problem on which you may be able to help me

Currently my pc has an i9-9900k but when the cpu temp goes up the fan does not increase the rpm
If I increase the fan speed from the BIOS the fan increases so it seems to work
Not even hardwareinfo or Speedfan sensors detect the fan
I did a stress test on the cpu and the temperature reached 100 ° without the fan increasing the rpm
I have a dual boot and in windows the issue is the same...........

Check by Windows what chip controls the fan. AIDA64 or HardwareInfo or something else.

PS. See your signature "Ventuta" :D

2 hours ago, Slice said:

Check by Windows what chip controls the fan. AIDA64 or HardwareInfo or something else.

PS. See your signature "Ventuta" :D

I attach the file report of Aida and HardwareInfo.......I'm not able to see what chip control the fan

Could you help ?

Thanks for the notice about my signature 👍

HI-HP-WIN11.HTM Aida_Report.htm

@Stefano Pugliese Why do you think there is a problem?  It seems to me that your PC is behaving exactly as it is intended to behave.  You have installed a 9900K CPU in a small form factor PC that is thermally limited in BIOS.  This thermal limiting is necessary to make sure that the tiny package is able to dissipate the heat generated by its components.  You will probably need a 150W power supply to achieve the maximum potential of the CPU in your G5 Mini, but even then, the CPU is limited by thermal constraints programmed in BIOS.  You WILL NOT achieve anything close to the potential of the 9900K CPU in your G5 Mini.

If your PC runs and doesn't shut down (it would shut down if it exceeds thermal constraints), then your PC is running the way it is supposed to run.

Read this if you want more technical info.  When you understand the topics discussed in this thread, you will realize that there is no amount of cooling that you can add to the G5 Mini that will improve the performance of the 9900K when installed in this tiny PC.

It is very unlikely that you will be able to achieve the full benefit of the 9900K in your HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini.  The package is incapable of dissipating the heat that the 9900K can generate.   The G5 Mini will limit peak performance of the CPU to remain within the designed thermal constraints.  

If you want the full benefit of the 9900K, buy a tower case, new motherboard and a substantial cooling fan.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

@deeveedee

What you say is clear
What I don't understand is why the fan does not increase its rpm when the cpu rises in temp.
The problem is that the fan has the same rpm whether the cpu is at 50 ° or is at 90 ° .......and this is not normal

(and the rpm isn't at 100%........I  set to 100% in bios and the pc seems a tornado.......now I set to 0% in bios - as in default - and the fan doesn't increase rpm when the cpu gets hotter)

Edited by Stefano Pugliese

@Stefano Pugliese  If you have upgraded your BIOS to the latest version and you are using a 150W power supply, then I don't believe there is much more that you can do.   If you still believe that there is something wrong with your HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini, contact HP tech support.  Explain to them that you installed an i9-9900K in your HP EliteDesk G5 Mini.  They may have a suggestion.  If you learn something from HP, please report your findings here.

EDIT: When you contact HP, don't mention that you are running macOS on your EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini.  They probably won't give you any support if you do.  The "problem" that you observe is the same in Windows, so there's no need to mention macOS.

Edited by deeveedee

On November 8, HP released version 02.15.00 Rev.A of the EliteDesk G5 Mini BIOS and version 02.21.00 Rev.A of the EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini BIOS.  I have not yet tested these new BIOS versions with macOS and welcome test results from others.

@Stefano Pugliese It is very frustrating for me to see repeated questions that are already answered in this thread. Please read the known issues posted at the begginning of this thread and find the answer before asking the question.  Forgive my frustration with your question, but this is becoming a habit. Part of owning a hackintosh is learning to achieve self sufficiency. You need to make the effort to find the answer before asking the question. Short of the silver platter, you'll find what you need if you read this thread. 

EDIT:

@Stefano Pugliese If you still have not figured out how to upgrade your BIOS, follow the BIOS upgrade procedure here.

Edited by deeveedee

@Jazzoo Read this thread.  When I was studying the Package Power Limits for the G5 Mini and my i9-9900, I found that the G5 Mini BIOS is hard-coding power limits independent of the power supply rating (which is different from the G4 Mini which increases package power limits for the i5-8600 when the power supply is increased from 90W to 150W).  HP has admitted this limitation to me and had no intention of changing it when I submitted a "bug" report.  Because of hard-coded PL1 and PL2 values in the G5 Mini BIOS, I don't think that there would be any difference between performance of an i9-9900 and an i9-9900K when installed in the G5 Mini.   My i9-9900 performance is the same with a 90W power supply as it is with a 150W power supply.   It is possible that HP allows for a slightly increased power limit with the i9-9900K (unlike the i9-9900) which is why I suggested a 150W supply.  The i9-9900K "works" with a 90W power supply, because the G5 Mini BIOS is constraining PL1 and PL2.  Note that in the HP G5 Mini specs, the upper limit of the i9-9900 is reported as 4.9GHz while the upper limit for the i9-9900K is reported as 5.0GHz.  In reality, the upper limit of my i9-9900 / G5 Mini is 5.0 GHz (for very short duration bursts).

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

@Jazzoo I don't monitor my CPU temps, since my fan hardly runs.  My fan gets loud when Norton Antivirus performs a virus scan and when I perform software builds with Visual Studio.  I was never able to undervolt my i9 because the BIOS has locked that option.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

@deeveedee Thanks for the info! It was really interesting for me the process of undervolting and playing with power limits. Found very useful @rafale77's workaround with his Lenovo Tiny. It's super impressive!

Is it possible to overstep somehow the restrictions with VoltageShift or similar software ? I've never had thermal problems with my i5 8500T, changed my compound immediately after I bought it with Thermal Grizzly and the temps are hovering around 45'C idle and 75'C under full load (video rendering etc.). Tomorrow I plan to test the new BIOS and share feedback. Thanks!

@Jazzoo  The Lenovo BIOS isn't locked the way that the HP BIOS is locked.  CFG Lock can be disabled in the Lenovo (can't be disabled in the HP), which allows undervolting.  You can see that I tried here, but eventually gave up on the HP.  It may still be possible, I just didn't figure it out.  If Apple still had an Intel roadmap, I would be tempted to buy a Lenovo Tiny.  Now that Apple has switched to its own silicon with no new Intel Macs in the roadmap, I'm not inclined to invest any new money in Intel hacks.

@deeveedee Yes, you are right! These HP mini's are the last survivors. I am sure we will be able to use it with at least one more MacOS next 1-2 years. It's still best for the money :)

PS - New BIOS installed. Can't find any difference in the overal performance BUT my EliteDesk boots up faster than before. I am pretty happy!

Edited by Jazzoo
  • Like 1