[GUIDE] Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh

deeveedee
874 posts in this topic

@Jazzoo and anyone else testing Bluetooth (Intel or Broadcom): In your OC config.plist, there is the quirk Kernel > Quirks > ExtendBTFeatureFlags (description below from Dortania guide).  Does this Quirk make any difference for you?

ExtendBTFeatureFlags - Description: Set FeatureFlags to 0x0F for full functionality of Bluetooth, including Continuity.

I am still struggling to get my wireless mouse working. It's rock solid with BCM94360NG but with Intel 8265NGW it doesn't connect. I see it in my device list tho. Any suggestions ? As far as I know BCM94360NG is equiped with BT 4.0, does this make any difference or the problem is somewhere else ? Tested my PS4 gamepad - same story. I can see it in the available devices list but can't actually connect. As for now only audio devices working with no problems.

@Jazzoo Unfortunately, I don't have experience with the Intel wireless and it's not a topic we want to resolve in this thread.  I would suggesting finding (or starting) a separate Intel wireless thread and addressing the topic there.  After you identify the separate thread, please post the link in this thread.  Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I posted, so I just wanted to give a quick update.  At this time, I am continuing to run with the 0C 0.8.3 EFI attached to Post #1.  On my production rig, I am running 12.5.1 like @Jazzoo.  On my test rig, I am running Ventura Beta 6.  Both rigs are operating perfectly (although I admit that I don't use the test rig nearly as much as my production rig, so there could be Ventura Beta issues that I have missed).

We are very fortunate to have this HackMini8,1 that is absolutely rock solid, proven and ready for another year (at least) of macOS.

I have been in contact with HP about possible performance improvements for the EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini.  If those improvements materialize, I will definitely let everyone know.

• Thanks 3

HP has posted new BIOS updates for the HP EliteDesk 800 G4 and G5 Mini PCs.  I have not yet installed/tested these BIOS updates.  If anyone does install / test either of these BIOS updates, could you please post your test results?  Thanks!

• HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini BIOS: 02.20.01 Rev.A   Aug 15, 2022
  • HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini BIOS: 02.14.01 Rev.A.   Aug 22, 2022
Edited by deeveedee

@luky35 We have enough history/experience with installing macOS on this EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini, that you should be able to find issues documented in the Known Issues here.  Whenever you have a problem, it's good to start by reviewing the Known Issues.  Take a look at the sixth issue to see if that helps you.

I reviewed the OC 0.8.4 commits here and don't see anything that is going to have much impact on our HackMini8,1.  I'll be upgrading to OC 0.8.4 (when it is available) so that I can publish the upgrade instructions in this thread, but I see nothing about OC 0.8.4 that should compel anyone to upgrade.  As is always the case, if your rig is working well for you, don't feel obligated to make any of the changes/updates that I propose in this thread.  Most of the work I do here is to educate (me and you) and to make sure that the solution continues to work for the majority of EliteDesk 800 G4 / G5 Mini owners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

After upgrading to Monterey 12.5.1, my HackMini8,1 (EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini, i9-9900, 32GB DDR4, WD SN750 Black NVMe SSD) seems much more responsive.  I haven't performed any tests to quantify this performance improvement.  Has anyone else noticed that their hack's performance is better with 12.5.1?

About This Mac

Spoiler

1425373416_ScreenShot2022-09-01at10_03_54PM.png.6b3d80e7f7fc49e21a8321d7fba05201.png

Edited by deeveedee

I have upgraded from OC 0.8.3 to OC 0.8.4 with the changes below.  My new EFI is attached to Post #1.

Changes from OC 0.8.3 EFI R002 -> OC 0.8.4 EFI R001

• EFI/BOOT: Update BOOTx64.efi
  • EFI/OC: Update OpenCore.efi
  • EFI/OC/Drivers: Update OpenRuntime.efi, AudioDxe.efi, ResetNvramEntry.efi
  • EFI/OC/Kexts:
    • Update AppleALC.kext 1.7.4 -> 1.7.5
  • EFI/OC/config.plist
    • Misc > Tools > Item n: Added FullNvramAccess (Boolean, False)
  • EFI/OC/Tools: Update tools
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think it would be interesting for us to share our favorite uses for this HackMini8,1.  I'll share my primary/favorite uses below and welcome input from others.

• Microsoft Visual Studio 2022 for Mac / Xamarin: Develop apps for iOS and Android
  • iMovie: Simple movie editing
  • Microsoft Remote Desktop: Remote into Microsoft Windows Servers and Clients
  • VNC Viewer: Remote into LInux Servers
  • Microsoft Office: Excel, Word and PowerPoint documents
  • Tunnelblick VPN for secure access to remote networks

Xamarin software builds and iMovie editing with the i9-9900 CPU and 32GB RAM are extremely fast.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

I see a lot of excitement around macOS Ventura and thought I'd briefly share my own philosophy about macOS upgrades.  I maintain a "production" system that remains on the mature macOS release (in this case, Monterey) until a macOS upgrade is required to run the latest XCode.  This production system is my primary rig for all macOS work that I do.  Since Apple continues to release new versions of XCode for the previous macOS release, this upgrade strategy usually means that I don't upgrade to the newest macOS (in this case, Ventura) until it has matured to version x.4 or x.5 (at the time that Apple stops releasing new versions of XCode for the previous version of macOS).  While it is fun to play with the newest macOS and to claim bragging rights about running the latest macOS, for me, running the latest macOS is only to make sure that my system is ready to upgrade when the time comes.

Waiting as long as possible to upgrade to the next version of macOS has served me well since High Sierra.  If you're concerned about stability and reliability of your hack or a real Mac and prefer to wait for the bugs to be resolved (in macOS and in the bootloader), you may want to consider this macOS upgrade strategy for your own rig.

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do - I'm just sharing my opinion and what has worked well for me.

• Like 1

I use my EliteDesk mainly for browsing, movies, music and lite photo/audio editing, and that's why I am curious to try new updates/OS version. So far it's working beneath my expectations and honestly this became my daily driver for the last few months. Since my work is related to music production I work on a different computer (hack again) under MacOS Monterey + Logic Pro and bunch of audio hardware. For the most cases this computer could replace my main work machine and surely will do the job pretty well. I love it!

Installed latest Ventura beta with OC 0.8.4. Works like a charm :)

• Like 1