[GUIDE] Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh

deeveedee
881 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, luky35 said:

When restarting, everything stops and does not go anywhere.
Unfortunately, the installation failed.

That's very helpful.  Thank you for the details.

3 hours ago, luky35 said:

Removed AirportBrcmFixup.kext and Sonoma install goes normally.

Thank you very much for the tip.

P.S.

When restarting, everything stops and does not go anywhere.
Unfortunately, the installation failed.

did you upgrade the lastest kext ?

3 minutes ago, hiphopboy said:

using OATAuxi to update lastest Opencore then fix the error then  try again

What is fixed for our HackMini8,1 in the latest OC that's not in OC 0.9.3?

5 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

What is fixed for our HackMini8,1 in the latest OC that's not in OC 0.9.3?

im open it on have the red !, fixed all it then install, im using the base your OC from 0.8.6, upgrade to lastest kext then fix some string on it, install Sonoma good right now (OC 0.9.3)

3 minutes ago, luky35 said:

your kext just old build, try upgrade the lastest beta kext, then install ok

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 12.14.48 AM.png

Edited by hiphopboy

@luky35 Thanks.  After a quick scan, I don't see anything wrong.  Are you booting the original Sonoma release or beta 2? Can you Reset NVRAM and attempt to boot Sonoma again?  I see that you have boot-arg -v, so can you post a photo of the boot log where the booting fails?

In summary, do the following:

1. Reset NVRAM (from OC boot picker)
  2. Attempt to boot Sonoma again
  3. Post photo showing boot log where the boot hangs

@hiphopboy You may be correct, but I'd still like to know what you think has been fixed in OC 0.9.3 (or kexts) for Sonoma.  I haven't installed Sonoma yet on this HackMini8,1, but on my other hacks, I boot Sonoma with OC 0.9.3 [RELEASE] and all current kext Releases (not newer developer builds).

I just reviewed the kexts and don't see any changes.  In my opinion, it is NEVER a good idea to upgrade to the latest Developer versions without first checking to see what the changes are.

Edited by deeveedee

23 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

@luky35 Thanks.  After a quick scan, I don't see anything wrong.  Are you booting the original Sonoma release or beta 2? Can you Reset NVRAM and attempt to boot Sonoma again?  I see that you have boot-arg -v, so can you post a photo of the boot log where the booting fails?

In summary, do the following:

1. Reset NVRAM (from OC boot picker)
  2. Attempt to boot Sonoma again
  3. Post photo showing boot log where the boot hangs

@hiphopboy You may be correct, but I'd still like to know what you think has been fixed in OC 0.9.3 (or kexts) for Sonoma.  I haven't installed Sonoma yet on this HackMini8,1, but on my other hacks, I boot Sonoma with OC 0.9.3 [RELEASE] and all current releases Releases (not newer developer builds).

I just reviewed the kexts and don't see any changes.  In my opinion, it is NEVER a good idea to upgrade to the latest Developer versions without first checking to see what the changes are.

your lastest OC 093 just need to upgrade lastest dev kext then can install Sonoma no prolem, i'm using it on Sonoma

@hiphopboy At the time of this post, these are the kext changes in the latest development builds from Acidanthera:

There are no changes.  Blindly updating kexts to the developer build is not a debugging stratgegy.

• Like 1

@deeveedee 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.91d131a6f30f84b19b2827cfa6669538.png

1. I installed Sonoma Beta 2. (the original Beta was OK).
2. I reset the NVRAM and started the installation from USB. First part
      the installation was error free.
3. When restarting, when the macOS Installer menu appears and it would
     the installation should continue Sonoma stops as shown in the picture and does not
     it goes on.
4. Then I started the macOS Installer from the USB menu and then
     Sonoma Beta 2 installation continued.
5. I've never seen anything like this in a macOS installation.

6. What do you think as an expert, where would be the mistake if it doesn't work
      installation as it should.

@luky35  The EFI you posted has -v boot-arg, but the photo you posted is not verbose boot.  If I had to guess, I would say that you are not booting from the EFI that you posted.

EDIT: Is it possible that you installed an EFI on the USB installer that is different from the EFI on your SSD?

Edited by deeveedee

2 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

@luky35  The EFI you posted has -v boot-arg, but the photo you posted is not verbose boot.  If I had to guess, I would say that you are not booting from the EFI that you posted.

Yes, I have Ventura on one partition,
Could this be the fault?

The Ventura/Sonoma "partition" does not matter.  If you have installed multiple EFIs (e.g., one EFI on the USB stick and one on the SSD) and the EFIs are not the same, you need to be certain that you are booting from the correct EFI.  Find out which EFI you are booting from and post that EFI.

4 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

The Ventura/Sonoma "partition" does not matter.  If you have installed multiple EFIs (e.g., one EFI on the USB stick and one on the SSD) and the EFIs are not the same, you need to be certain that you are booting from the correct EFI.  Find out which EFI you are booting from and post that EFI.

When it showed me the macOS Installer menu after the first part of the installation from USB, I was sure that it would continue with EFI from USB, but I think it took EFI from Ventura (I guess).
Tomorrow I will try a clean install of only Sonoma and let you know if everything went OK

Thank you for your help and best regards.

@luky35 I think you might be misunderstanding the EFI volume.  When a drive (SSD, HD, USB) is formatted with a "GUID Partition Map" scheme, the Drive has a single EFI volume (FAT formatted volume for boot stuff) and then one or more volumes for OSes, Data and other stuff.  Stuff is a very technical term 😂

If you have an SSD that is formatted APFS with a "GUID Partition Map" scheme, your SSD has a single EFI (where Open Core boot loader and kexts are stored) and then one or more APFS volumes.  You may have Ventura on one volume (over-simplified, but good enough for this explanation) and Sonoma on another APFS volume on the same SSD.  Even though you have Ventura and Sonoma on the SSD, your SSD still has a single EFI.  If you have another SSD or HD installed in your hack, it also has an EFI volume if it is formatted with "GUID Partition Map" scheme.

When you create a bootable macOS USB installer, the USB installer is formatted with "GUID Partition Map" scheme and also has its own EFI.  If you install Open Core boot loader to the USB EFI and you have an Open Core boot loader on your SSD EFI, you have two EFIs.  The BIOS determines which EFI is used to boot your hack (either the default boot order or a boot order that you select by overriding with F9).

I'm explaing this, because you shouldn't need to perform a "clean installation" of Sonoma to fix this issue.

Edited by deeveedee
Fixed typo (AFPS -> APFS)

13 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

@luky35 I think you might be misunderstanding the EFI volume.  When a drive (SSD, HD, USB) is formatted with a "GUID Partition Map" scheme, the Drive has a single EFI volume (FAT formatted volume for boot stuff) and then one or more volumes for OSes, Data and other stuff.  Stuff is a very technical term 😂

If you have an SSD that is formatted APFS with a "GUID Partition Map" scheme, your SSD has a single EFI (where Open Core boot loader and kexts are stored) and then one or more AFPS volumes.  You may have Ventura on one volume (over-simplified, but good enough for this explanation) and Sonoma on another APFS volume on the same SSD.  Even though you have Ventura and Sonoma on the SSD, your SSD still has a single EFI.  If you have another SSD or HD installed in your hack, it also has an EFI volume if it is formatted with "GUID Partition Map" scheme.

When you create a bootable macOS USB installer, the USB installer is formatted with "GUID Partition Map" scheme and also has its own EFI.  If you install Open Core boot loader to the USB EFI and you have an Open Core boot loader on your SSD EFI, you have two EFIs.  The BIOS determines which EFI is used to boot your hack (either the default boot order or a boot order that you select by overriding with F9).

I'm explaing this, because you shouldn't need to perform a "clean installation" of Sonoma to fix this issue.

Thanks for the explanation, I will certainly take this into account in the future.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found some time to install Sonoma Beta 2 on this HackMini8,1.  It installed easily with the OC 0.9.3 EFI that I uploaded to Post #1 (no need for OC 0.9.4 or any newer (Developer) kexts).  

I made one modification to my EFI (nothing to do with Sonoma) that allows OC to scan/boot macOS on USB devices: I modified Misc > Security > ScanPolicy in the config.plist.  With my posted EFI, ScanPolicy blocks scanning HFS / USB, so macOS volumes on USB do not appear in the OC boot menu.  I changed ScanPolicy to enable bit 9 (OC_SCAN_ALLOW_FS_HFS) and enable bit 21 (OC_SCAN_ALLOW_DEVICE_USB).  With these changes, USB macOS volumes (e.g., macOS installer) are listed in the OC boot menu.

I will add this ScanPolicy change to my next posted EFI (not posted at the time of this writing).  If you want to make this ScanPolicy change yourself, change Misc > Security > ScanPolicy to 19858179 (0x12F0303).  You can read more about OC ScanPolicy here.

Sonoma Beta 2 appears to be working perfectly on this hack.  Note that I do not use Wi-Fi / Bluetooth on this hack.

About This Hack: Sonoma Beta 2

Spoiler

1644418188_Screenshot2023-07-02at10_39_03AM.png.24ba23eeeb629c084d3016a766bb31ac.png

EDIT: I still use DP->DVI adapters to connect my DVI displays.  Displays are working perfectly in Sonoma.  Is it my imagination, or is the display better with Sonoma?  My screens appear to be clearer/sharper with Sonoma than with previous versions of macOS.

Edited by deeveedee

19 hours ago, deeveedee said:

I finally found some time to install Sonoma Beta 2 on this HackMini8,1.  It installed easily with the OC 0.9.3 EFI that I uploaded to Post #1 (no need for OC 0.9.4 or any newer (Developer) kexts).  

I made one modification to my EFI (nothing to do with Sonoma) that allows OC to scan/boot macOS on USB devices: I modified Misc > Security > ScanPolicy in the config.plist.  With my posted EFI, ScanPolicy blocks scanning HFS / USB, so macOS volumes on USB do not appear in the OC boot menu.  I changed ScanPolicy to enable bit 9 (OC_SCAN_ALLOW_FS_HFS) and enable bit 21 (OC_SCAN_ALLOW_DEVICE_USB).  With these changes, USB macOS volumes (e.g., macOS installer) are listed in the OC boot menu.

I will add this ScanPolicy change to my next posted EFI (not posted at the time of this writing).  If you want to make this ScanPolicy change yourself, change Misc > Security > ScanPolicy to 19858179 (0x12F0303).  You can read more about OC ScanPolicy here.

Sonoma Beta 2 appears to be working perfectly on this hack.  Note that I do not use Wi-Fi / Bluetooth on this hack.

About This Hack: Sonoma Beta 2

Reveal hidden contents

1644418188_Screenshot2023-07-02at10_39_03AM.png.24ba23eeeb629c084d3016a766bb31ac.png

EDIT: I still use DP->DVI adapters to connect my DVI displays.  Displays are working perfectly in Sonoma.  Is it my imagination, or is the display better with Sonoma?  My screens appear to be clearer/sharper with Sonoma than with previous versions of macOS.

Have you seen the Login screen after enter the password, then long to enter home screen than Ventura ?

13 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@hiphopboy I think that my expectations for "Beta 2" are less than yours.  I'm just amazed that it installs and works.

Yup, just update the lastest kext and OC then it's ok to install :d just longer to show home screen than Ventura :P

I have attached a new OC 0.9.3 EFI to Post #1.  This new EFI enables USB volumes in the OC boot menu and enables Sonoma Beta OTA upgrades.  The specific changes from my previous EFI are listed below.

OC 0.9.3 EFI R003 Changes from OC 0.9.3 EFI R001

• EFI/OC/config.plist
    • Kernel > Add > Remove EFICheckDisabler.kext
    • Kernel > Add > Add RestrictEvents.kext
    • NVRAM > Add > 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102 > revpatch (String, sbvmm)
    • Misc > Security > ScanPolicy: Enable bit 9 OC_SCAN_ALLOW_FS_HFS and bit 21 OC_SCAN_ALLOW_DEVICE_USB to show USB macOS volumes in OC boot menu (0x12F0303 19858179)
  • EFI/OC/Kexts
    • Add RestrictEvents.kext
    • Remove EFICheckDisabler.kext (no longer needed with RestrictEvents.kext)

Using this new EFI, I have upgraded to Sonoma 14.0 Beta 3.  The upgrade was painless without any issues.  After adding RestrictEvents.kext and the "revpatch" NVRAM property, the Sonoma 14.0 Beta 3 upgrade was available via OTA.

About This Hack: Sonoma 14.0 Beta 3

Spoiler

1470430972_Screenshot2023-07-06at2_55_02PM.png.cdc34f300687a062d9e47b05ac55b2d0.png

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 5

I will be removing Device BUS0 from ACPI patch SSDT-SBUS-MCHC because of the discussion starting here.  There doesn't appear to be any reason to add Device BUS0 to our hacks.

EDIT: NVMeFix.kext 1.1.1 includes a fix for Sonoma 14.0.  I'm not sure whether this "fix" affects different NVMe SSD drives differently.  I plan to remove the MaxKernel limit on NVMeFix.kext in my next posted EFI (so that NVMeFix.kext is injected in Sonoma), so anyone who uses my next posted EFI (not yet posted at the time of this writing) will need to test and confirm proper operation on their own hacks.

EDIT2: I have removed Device BUS0 from SSDT-SBUS-MCHC in my own EFI (not yet posted since I'm still testing).  There is no change that I can detect in the operation/behavior of this hack after removing the SBUS ACPI patch.  Since the SSDT no longer has any SBUS patches, I have renamed it to SSDT-MCHC.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1