Customized OpenCore with additional features

n.d.k
1,348 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Download-Fritz said:

Yes, it speaks volume... assuming it happened? Because if I or someone else should have requested that, that must have happened during somnambulism

It did happen.

Edited by Ellybz

6 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

II doubt that NDK has ignored your all of your core decisions because of lack of knowledge, nor is he acting like you or your adherents are blind and deaf, nor is anyone here doing that.

Oh no, that was not refering to him. He has his fork with his decisions the way he likes, and I respect that. I'm refering to you.

15 minutes ago, Download-Fritz said:

@Ellybz @meaganmargaret Proofs or go home. I took this with humour so far, but I am not going to put up with ignorant public defamation of paranoids.

Happened circa January 27. Check with your dev mates. Denying it without  consulting with the other devs shows again your colors. End of conversation.

Your answer will be ignored as your do with mine. Not going anywhere.

Edited by Ellybz

1 minute ago, Ellybz said:

Happened circa January 27. Check with your dev mates. Denying it without  consulting with the other devs shows agains your colors. End of conversation.

The devs are vit and me, and I know vit well enough. If you make absolutely ridiculous claims, you bring the proofs. If pulling a random date out of the place where the sun does not shine is enough proof for people, so be it.

3 minutes ago, Download-Fritz said:

The devs are vit and me, and I know vit well enough. If you make absolutely ridiculous claims, you bring the proofs. If pulling a random date out of the place where the sun does not shine is enough proof for people, so be it.

If you are the only two devs of OC then, most people do not think so. You should make this more clear. It did not come from you or Vit9696.

ps: I wrote down dev mates as plural.

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 1

Just now, Ellybz said:

If you are the only two devs of OC then, most people do not think so. You should make this more clear. It did not come from you or Vit9696.

The main developers of OpenCore are @vit9696 and me, and that is it. We had several contributors over the course of time, such as @Goldfish64 (who is literally the last person on this forum to do anything like this), and while we appreciate their contributions and efforts, the main developers remain only the two of us. Then there are further Acidanthera folks, like @Andrey1970 , who, in regards to OpenCore, help us manage the project (support, documentation, testing and releases). But yet again, the developers are just the two of us. Before you make claims that may be interpreted about unrelated people personally, think twice.

If you DM me the details, and they are verifiable objectively (it would be good if a IM team member could confirm the claims), I will personally take care this is not going to happen again, or leave Acidanthera at once - this is a promise.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, vit9696 said:

Regarding the external GUI part, as @Download-Fritz mentioned, it had been here for quite some time already. When @n.d.k first appeared with the changes that did not line with the primary project architecture, we immediately suggested him to use this option. For unknown reasons on our side, there was no subsequent dialogue and eventually this fork appeared in entire silence.

Not to sound salty, but to me, as an Acidanthera lead, it looks like just another example of an intentional move driven by egos/money/lack of culture/megalomania/alike. Basically it is very similar to the situation with bootloader configurators, where the developers ignore any attempt of a constructive dialogue, or Clover/Chameleon forks in older days. Sometimes the need for forking can be justified, but in general it is just a case of everyone pushing the load forward with a sudden person starting to push it sideways, who eventually gets tired of it and leaves a mess that confuses everyone.

This of course is counterproductive, but somewhat unavoidable. By making our projects opensource we make it possible for adequate determined people to push things forward, either with us, or after us.

I have great respect and appreciation of your extraordinary work (and Download-Fritz; I only read extra posts above after composing this response) on OpenCore as well as the myriad of kext files that, but for you, we'd not be enjoying such successfully working Hackintoshes. For your work, I do say 'Thanks so much!"

And while I cannot speak for the person who created this fork, I do appreciate the 'art' and interaction that comes with computer use. If computer usage were only about getting work done as efficiently (stream-lined) as possible, we'd still be using DOS and things would never have evolved into something like an Apple OS. I do not see issues of money or ego here. I do sense some territoriality with respect to OpenCore; and I appreciate that hard work easily leads to a feeling of protectionism.

I view this fork as simply some 'eye candy' and a little more "ease of use" (after all, you all did just add "PickerAttributes" that begins to approach a more attractive interface). Ease of use issues can help various users (not all of us are under 65 years old and may have eye sight problems or mechanical challenges like arthritis where fine motor skills are no longer possible). These are issues that those younger users might not consider. I would recommend not dismissing out-of-hand interfaces that can make OpenCore a richer experience for others. Or maybe, you could even consider incorporating some of NDK efforts directly into OpenCore.

Edited by iGPU

I have not defamed anyone. Claims were made that the design is flawed, and I countered the claim with the fact that the design is not understood. If you know how bless works, and how the boot path must be determined dynamically every boot to account for edge-cases like macOS upgrade (I used the wrong term in my previous post), you know that hardcoding is not a good idea. I did not check the exact implementation, but from the snippets I saw, in case of an upgrade, just like with Clover, you will probably end up with two separate boot entries (normal and installer boot, because the bless-detected installer path will no longer be matched with the custom entry path), while normal is prefered for being a custom entry (which have been moved to the *front* of the boot priority in the fork). Ergo, normal OS will boot as default. Of course that can be hacked around by detecting this case somehow, but you get the idea - hacks break.

If my wording seems like I have tried to insult someone for being stupid or such, I'll apologise for that. I was strictly speaking about a lack of knowledge and insight into the Apple boot concept, which has nothing to do with IT experience or such at all - it is a specific model. Clover, its friends and this fork break this model, and we do not agree with this based on the factual situation.

Once again, I do not mind @n.d.k's work at all and respect his decision to maintain a fork (though I agree, a custom GUI driver or app would have covered most if not all changes in the fork without emerging two products doing mostly the same). I do not respect @meaganmargaret's attempt to make justified and well reasoned design decisions look like ignored defects. Certainly, I'm not the one claiming things are "beyond" people.

Please provide a mean of proof, and I will handle the rest.

Edited by Download-Fritz
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Download-Fritz said:

Please provide a mean of proof, and I will handle the rest.

I sent you a PM. If a moderator could also confirm the posts removal, it would be great.

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 1

Those "large number of users" simply do not take the time to delicately read the configuration documentation, which will result in them not being able to use Opencore. It has nothing to do with "design decisions".

Edited by Pavo
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

So, when a large number of users can't use Opencore because of a "design decision", yes, I live in a free country and I have the right to express my opinion that design decision is indeed a flaw.

Yes, you do. And I have used my right to comment on this myself in return. Where is the issue? I see none, this is done for me.

There is a non-0 chance I, at some point, reported a post as offtopic with the intention to have it moved to a separate thread. I don't remember whether that actually happened, and if it did, I do not remember whether I explicitly stated so.

@Allan Might there be a way for you to verify this? Thanks a lot.

3 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

Well, I'm using it now with NDK's version of Opencore.   I've read the documentation numerous times.  And I didn't reference the "design decisons" until @Download-Fritz stated that is what he believes what the issue is.  I'm afraid, Pavo, that you're unwilling to recognise that this "design decision" does make some motherboards not work properly in Opencore.   That's what NDK's version fixes.

So... I assume you are representing "those large number of users". I have been using OpenCore since it was in 0.0.1 one 3 different system configs, with and without UEFI and most importantly AMD setup with out any issues at all. All features work that are described in the documentation. I am not sure of what "design decisions" that does make some motherboards not work properly in Opencore. You also have to remember that OpenCore is still in the "beta" phase of its development cycle. If you have the knowledge and skill to fix some of these "motherboards not work properly" I would assume @Download-Fritz and @vit9696 would always appreciate a PR.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, meaganmargaret said:

Sure.  For a large number of Asus motherboards, the fix is NDK's version of Opencore.

I know of 100s of users that are using different chipset of Asus motherboards and none of them are having any issues. Myself including with my "Asus z9pe-d8 ws".

• Like 3

Just now, meaganmargaret said:

Sure.  For a large number of Asus motherboards, the fix is NDK's version of Opencore.

i been using oc since 0.0.1 on hp laptop asus z97 z370 ,390 an the only issues i have had were the nvram on the 390 an now all works good an also on the 0.5.6 with an amd ryzen an no issues

• Like 1

Wow, this got heated, all I did was a nap! Vit's team knows what they are doing and the community appreciates their efforts in the project. if NDK wants to folk his own and not listen to recommendations from the people that put the work into the project from the beginning, and also people want to use this version. then that's their choice. Of course i have tested it and a GUI would suit some people, I'm more interested in the functionality and stability of it. Amen.

• Like 3

I am done syncing with OC recent changes, and here's the working setting for those new updated fields in case anyone not sure what to set.

And People please stop exchange heated comments, which only lead to unpleasant feelings for everyone. Thank!

18314007_ScreenShot2020-02-09at3_18_13PM.thumb.png.aa0bc6115d419398fda7d101de23732d.png 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, n.d.k said:

I am done syncing with OC recent changes, and here's the working setting for those new updated fields in case anyone not sure what to set.

And People please stop exchange heated comments, which only lead to unpleasant feelings for everyone. Thank!

18314007_ScreenShot2020-02-09at3_18_13PM.thumb.png.aa0bc6115d419398fda7d101de23732d.png 

Can I use pickermode after updating?

1 hour ago, btwise said:

Can I use pickermode after updating?

Unless you have other PickerMode working, whatever you choose, it will fall back the same Builtin. 

ex. if you choose Apple:

Apple BootPicker failed - Not Found, fallback to builtin

22 minutes ago, n.d.k said:

Unless you have other PickerMode working, whatever you choose, it will fall back the same Builtin. 

ex. if you choose Apple:

Apple BootPicker failed - Not Found, fallback to builtin

I mean how can a separate pickermode, not Builtin,like Apple Picker, be selected by Config.plist, can you write an example and tutorial? great NDK!

Or break up the current Gui into a single bootpicker, using your previous MOD text bootpicker as a build-in!

Edited by btwise
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, btwise said:

I mean how can a separate pickermode, not Builtin,like Apple Picker, be selected by Config.plist, can you write an example and tutorial? great NDK!

Or break up the current Gui into a single bootpicker, using your previous MOD text bootpicker as a build-in?

You like to make me work?...hmm

Sorry friend, Moving backward is not my style. If I have time, i will make some adjustment to the current GUI boot picker and turn it into external GUI module for those who use the standard OC.

• Like 3