AudioGod's Aorus Z390 Pro Patched DSDT Mini Guide and Discussion

AudioGod
5,858 posts in this topic

Ah, I see! Well, 80% CPU and 20% GPU explains the issue. I selected Main instead of Main10 that was before, and it dropped from ~16m to 2m. Specifically, when only RX580 was checked in Resolve it took 2m 24s and when only RX6600XT was checked it took 2m 24s, so, basically the same time. I'll try later today to test again by physically removing each card and test each one in PCIEX16 only, if not today, then tomorrow (or Monday). 

Thanks!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, panosru said:

Позже сегодня я попытаюсь протестировать еще раз, физически удалив каждую карту и протестировав каждую только в PCIEX16, если не сегодня, то завтра (или в понедельник).

Спасибо!

That's when you'll notice the difference. 😉

@AslashA, maybe, but, so far, I didn't notice any difference by selecting the GPU from the software instead of removing the GPU I don't need to test. What I do understand though is, when two GPUs are installed, PCIEX16 becomes PCIEX8 (as per Motherboards specs), but, during my tests when I had the GPU alone, I noticed that the speeds I'm getting from when the GPU is installed in PCIEX16 are the same as when it is installed in PCIEX8. To my understanding, the PCIEX8 bandwidth is sufficient to cover the computation power that the GPU can provide.

I'll try to run some more tests to make sure and I hope I won't have to re-open the case afterwards haha

I hope other people who are interested in dual-GPU setup will find all those posts useful and not just a spam in their notifications :P 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, panosru said:

To my understanding, the PCIEX8 bandwidth is sufficient to cover the computation power that the GPU can provide.

and this is the point. 👍

• Like 1

Btw, as correctly pointed by @D3v1L in our DMs, the bottleneck is not the CPU but the Motherboard. Also, for those interested, check this video, I think it explains a lot and in a detailed manner. Once I'll do one last physical test by removing the second GPU, I'll post the results.

• Like 1

Btw, i like Geek 6.0 ahahah but...well some differences...

AMD RX6600XT XFX

image.thumb.png.f81076f307a9d5b7629bbe8995d88ad4.png

AMD RX6900XT Sapphire Nitro+

image.thumb.png.7aec101fada10e3c5503a702e1d9021d.png

AMD W6800X DUO

image.thumb.png.89fc36bba93a8322daa98d101a325854.png

:thumbsup_anim::smoke:

And now, is time to sell MP 😉 

• Like 1

I just run the tests, so, the verdict is that it is indeed due-to different dual GPUs... I tried H.265 export with Main profile (not Main10) and it was 1.5m time (same as @D3v1L test). I tried it by having RX6600XT in PCIEX16 and then in PCIEX8, the time was the export time was the same, so x8 PCIe provide enough bandwidth for that GPU. When I have both cards in, then for H.265 I'm getting double the export time unfortunately. But, that only happens for H.265, H.264 renders fine.

2023-02-18 16.18.12.jpg

• Like 1

To add one last piece of information on the topic, I tried using two GPUs on Windows, and the export time was consistently 1 minute and 15 seconds (~13% faster than on macOS). Adrenaline was installed, but I kept it with default settings. On macOS, the export time for H.265 on the same project is about 3 minutes, so I can rule out any possibility of hardware limitation. I still believe that it is worth getting a second GPU if you need many displays, but if you're happy with up to 4 displays, then just go with one powerful GPU.

If I find a way to overcome this issue in macOS, I'll keep you all informed. For the time being, I have no clue where to look, though. This issue happens with H.265 only. For H.264, when I select RX6600XT in FCPX or DaVinci Resolve, I get half the export time compared to selecting RX580. But for H.265, it's like the selection is ignored.

UPDATE:
Based on info I found online (not from personal testing), I can neither confirm nor deny if the info is valid.

1. FCPX will utilize BOTH GPUs only if they are the same model. If they mismatch, then only one of the two will be used.
  2. DaVinci Resolve and Adobe Premiere are able to use mismatched GPUs, but only if the OS supports it.
  3. Mismatched GPUs are not supported by macOS and Windows with DirectX up to v11. Since DirectX v12, you can use mismatched GPUs.

When I have some time, I want to study this thread and see if I could get some performance boost by applying the suggested methods. If someone is familiar with this topic and has run some tests, feedback would be very helpful! Lastly, at some point, I might get a second RX 6600XT and conclude the testing. Frankly speaking, I don't need it, but what the heck, those tests provide good information for the Hackintosh community.

Edited by panosru
  • Like 1

Hey guys, I just updated successfully to Ventura.

I used OCAT, updated to the latest OpenCore and used system update.

Almost everything seems to run fine. I only have two minor issues.

1st) Privacy Relay isn't working anymore. 

2nd) I use dual boot and there is now an EFI partition next to Windows and macOS.

Are there any known fixes yet? I did a quick google search but it didn't come up with anything useful.

Thanks in advance

6 hours ago, Cipha said:

1st) Privacy Relay isn't working anymore.

Known issue. Someone have it working, someone not (for me, it work with hackintosh but not with real mac...so...never know the solution)

6 hours ago, Cipha said:

2nd) I use dual boot and there is now an EFI partition next to Windows and macOS.

It's opencore/ocat/update issue. Delete efi and recreate it from 0. This will occour when software "overwrite" instead del/recreate file... (delete bootx64.efi and opencore.efi, download latest OpenCore pkg, and copy this 2 file on your efi respectively dir...reboot, reset nvram, reboot and "new efi" entries, will disappear)

Edited by D3v1L

1 hour ago, D3v1L said:

Known issue. Someone have it working, someone not (for me, it work with hackintosh but not with real mac...so...never know the solution)

It's opencore/ocat/update issue. Delete efi and recreate it from 0. This will occour when software "overwrite" instead del/recreate file... (delete bootx64.efi and opencore.efi, download latest OpenCore pkg, and copy this 2 file on your efi respectively dir...reboot, reset nvram, reboot and "new efi" entries, will disappear)

Thank you, will try that. 

Update: An easy solution to get rid of the unncessary EFI entry is to download the OC Release package and copy the

.containVisibility and .containFlavour files from X64 > OC and X64 >  Boot to the respective local folders in the EFI. 

EDIT:

These files are hidden, so make sure you first make hidden files visible by pressing cmd+shift+period

Edited by Cipha
  • Like 3

Look like my luck run out.

After successfully moving from one M2 to a new M2 with some updated OC (not directly the one from @D3v1L but close) see also  the link below I tried today to update from OpenCore 0.8.3 to 0.8.8

I did update my backup EFI with OpenCore Tools and updated necessary components. 

I did reboot and boot from my backup EFI with 0.8.8 into my backup macOS... works

I did copy the content of my backup EFI over to my primary EFI.

I did reboot and did boot from my primary EFI into my primary macOS.

After the apple logo my screens go blank (Monitor even says no signal)

Tried to boot again from my backup EFI into the primary macOS

After the apple logo my screens go blank (Monitor even says no signal)

Tried to boot again from my backup EFI into the backup macOS

After the apple logo my system resets

Booted into Windows, made the primary EFI accessible, erased the content, copied a backup of my older EFI (see link more or less) into it.

No different behaviour now... it doesn't matter if I choose the old or the new EFI.. both of my installs are broken.

Any idea? Hmm since when is 10 MB the max size for attachments?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i87t8hjgclofled/EFI - 0.8.3.zip?dl=0

1 hour ago, dredhorse said:

No different behaviour now... it doesn't matter if I choose the old or the new EFI.. both of my installs are broken.

Did you clean the NvRAM before booting each time?

I checked the EFI Folder you posted above and unfortunately it was well out of date (no need for the included Apple Folder).

I have updated OC and all the included files and Kexts for you, you can see the before and after results in the attached pics.

I suggest you try the attached updated EFI Folder on a test USB Drive and see what result you get. You must clean the NvRAM then boot off this EFI to clean any remnants of old settings in the memory from your previous trials. Good luck.

Spoiler

2006509211_Screenshot2023-03-04at17_39_02.thumb.png.2b8982e1e649fea0fda0671691a36cd2.png915010298_Screenshot2023-03-04at17_39_47.thumb.png.e78f96eda85272db17078ef0a4003121.png1431298029_Screenshot2023-03-04at17_41_02.thumb.png.6320bea428a3d06aff16bc22a352fc23.png325531971_Screenshot2023-03-04at17_41_41.thumb.png.d1273bc1ba4f17c171761b688eb069c5.png

EFI.zip

Edited by eSaF
Add additional Info
  • Like 2

Hi,

I've got a Aorus Z390 Pro with 9900k and I've just upgraded my High Sierra to Catalina and converted from Clover to OpenCore. 

I've managed to get it working except that:

a) it's not shutting down properly - it always reboots. 
b) When it does reboot - the USB is buggered and wireless mouse+keyboard don't work.

I've created USBPorts.kext (shown below) and made my own SSDTs.

What might be causing this? Is it likely to be a BIOS setting or BIOS version (I'm on F10).

The other problem I have is that my mouse (Apple magic pad - with Belkin usb hub) seems to get very jittery and laggy sometimes.

Thanks for any help!

image.png.72e22b0fd3fbbd3d6eb1637c58d2246d.png

Edited by orbita

6 hours ago, orbita said:

Hi,

I've got a Aorus Z390 Pro with 9900k and I've just upgraded my High Sierra to Catalina and converted from Clover to OpenCore. 

I've managed to get it working except that:

a) it's not shutting down properly - it always reboots. 
b) When it does reboot - the USB is buggered and wireless mouse+keyboard don't work.

I've created USBPorts.kext (shown below) and made my own SSDTs.

What might be causing this? Is it likely to be a BIOS setting or BIOS version (I'm on F10).

The other problem I have is that my mouse (Apple magic pad - with Belkin usb hub) seems to get very jittery and laggy sometimes.

Thanks for any help!

image.png.72e22b0fd3fbbd3d6eb1637c58d2246d.png

Remove "Resource" folder from your EFI, zip it and post it.

Already, don't use Dortania's SSDT base. Make your own (i read you say you have own it, right!) with knowledge. This board, is NOT like "other Z390"... She need fake EC like Laptop, she need HPET remove, she need IRQ patch etc 🙂

BTW you need to update to F12..much better and stable.

7 hours ago, D3v1L said:

Remove "Resource" folder from your EFI, zip it and post it.

Already, don't use Dortania's SSDT base. Make your own (i read you say you have own it, right!) with knowledge. This board, is NOT like "other Z390"... She need fake EC like Laptop, she need HPET remove, she need IRQ patch etc 🙂

BTW you need to update to F12..much better and stable.

Hi D3v1L,

Thanks for responding.

I did start off with the Dortania SSDT base but yesterday I created by own using this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/custom-ssdts-using-corpnewts-ssdttime.318976/#post-2308180

My concern with upgrading BIOS is that the gigabyte website says you cannot downgrade from F12 and if I can't get Catalina to work I need to continue with my old High Sierra install and I didn't want to risk breaking that. Do you think it would have any effect on my old Clover based High Sierra install?

EFI zipped and attached (sans Resources folder)

Thanks for taking a look!

Edited by orbita

1 hour ago, orbita said:

Hi D3v1L,

Thanks for responding.

I did start off with the Dortania SSDT base but yesterday I created by own using this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/custom-ssdts-using-corpnewts-ssdttime.318976/#post-2308180

My concern with upgrading BIOS is that the gigabyte website says you cannot downgrade from F12 and if I can't get Catalina to work I need to continue with my old High Sierra install and I didn't want to risk breaking that. Do you think it would have any effect on my old Clover based High Sierra install?

EFI zipped and attached (sans Resources folder)

Thanks for taking a look!

EFI.zip 1.83 MB · 0 downloads

I think is not a problem update Bios... btw, is a good idea... btw i don't remember if on f10 are present cfg lock option so...

One thing, don't put online EFI with serial number etc.

btw try this EFI please (update Serial SMUUID MLB and ROM with yours, fake on it):

EFI.zip

14 minutes ago, D3v1L said:

btw try this EFI please (update Serial SMUUID MLB and ROM with yours, fake on it):

Not to confuse you, you can also try this Modified and updated EFI Folder as you wish. I have updated all files and kexts as well as the very latest OC version.

I also activated Sound and Startup Chime which can be deactivated in the config.plist if you desire.

Attached is a before and after pic of your EFI Folder.

PS - Also included The Resources Folder which I have Updated as well so no need to put your old one back which I suspect will be very dated as well.

As @D3v1L suggested, you really should consider upgrading your BIOS to very latest as it is vastly improved to your current version.

Spoiler

1623202656_Screenshot2023-03-06at12_52_01.thumb.png.a68af49f1b276b97239a5cda56e50db4.png479774574_Screenshot2023-03-06at13_15_58.thumb.png.232b43e46434b08929449c4f674a3443.png

EFI.zip

4 hours ago, D3v1L said:

I think is not a problem update Bios... btw, is a good idea... btw i don't remember if on f10 are present cfg lock option so...

EFI.zip 1.44 MB · 0 downloads

4 hours ago, eSaF said:

Not to confuse you, you can also try this Modified and updated EFI Folder as you wish. I have updated all files and kexts as well as the very latest OC version.

I also activated Sound and Startup Chime which can be deactivated in the config.plist if you desire.

PS - Also included The Resources Folder which I have Updated as well so no need to put your old one back which I suspect will be very dated as well.

As @D3v1L suggested, you really should consider upgrading your BIOS to very latest as it is vastly improved to your current version.

Reveal hidden contents

1623202656_Screenshot2023-03-06at12_52_01.thumb.png.a68af49f1b276b97239a5cda56e50db4.png479774574_Screenshot2023-03-06at13_15_58.thumb.png.232b43e46434b08929449c4f674a3443.png

EFI.zip 3.32 MB · 0 downloads

Thank you both!
I will try these out and report back.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2023 at 6:33 PM, eSaF said:

Did you clean the NvRAM before booting each time?

I checked the EFI Folder you posted above and unfortunately it was well out of date (no need for the included Apple Folder).

I have updated OC and all the included files and Kexts for you, you can see the before and after results in the attached pics.

I suggest you try the attached updated EFI Folder on a test USB Drive and see what result you get. You must clean the NvRAM then boot off this EFI to clean any remnants of old settings in the memory from your previous trials. Good luck.

Reveal hidden contents

2006509211_Screenshot2023-03-04at17_39_02.thumb.png.2b8982e1e649fea0fda0671691a36cd2.png915010298_Screenshot2023-03-04at17_39_47.thumb.png.e78f96eda85272db17078ef0a4003121.png1431298029_Screenshot2023-03-04at17_41_02.thumb.png.6320bea428a3d06aff16bc22a352fc23.png325531971_Screenshot2023-03-04at17_41_41.thumb.png.d1273bc1ba4f17c171761b688eb069c5.png

Thanks will take a look.

I cleaned the NVram but it looks like the newer OC get's hooked into it? or at least into the boot order... I was still booting from the wrong OC... so now it is working again from my original install.

But for sure I will take a look at the EFI you did give me as I wanted to update to BigSur.

• Like 1

Hello everyone, mac os Monterey 12.4 is installed now, works well.
I downloaded OCAxollaryTools, ran the plist file for errors before update and trying to install Ventura 13.2.1 - doesn't work. After reboot, I see macOS Installer section at the start screen, which starts loading and then quickly restarts computer. How to upgrade system and where is error? Please help me)

EFI Folder:

EFI.zip

UPD: Solved!) After few tryings update completed. Not actual now.

Edited by Olion
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 12:53 PM, D3v1L said:

EFI.zip 1.44 MB · 4 downloads

On 3/6/2023 at 1:22 PM, eSaF said:

Reveal hidden contents

EFI.zip 3.32 MB · 4 downloads

Hi and Good evening.

Thanks for both sending your EFIs to try out. I tried them just now. I put onto an external USB SSD, reset NVRAM and tried them. 

The first EFI from @D3v1L

It looks like you combined some of my Kexts (USBPorts-10c with your own Auros_PRO_z390 aml). 

Unfortunately this did not boot.

I think I had this same problem earlier on while I was trying to install Catalina from from Clover EFI but Im not sure if I ever got past it - I think I switched to OpenCore at that point.

Here is the screen grab where it got stuck. I waited about 5 minutes. 

image.jpeg.c4c8b0e57c8e2a92fc70a1e11bb65f0d.jpeg

The 2nd EFI from @eSaF

This EFI did boot smoothly and first impression are the system is running ok - but unfortunately the shutdown problem is worse. Applications close and the cursor stops but then it get stuck on the desktop background. I waited 10min and it was still like that.

Thank you both for your help. Appreciate any further suggestions you may have.

Cheers, Tom

12 minutes ago, orbita said:

Hi and Good evening.

Thanks for both sending your EFIs to try out. I tried them just now. I put onto an external USB SSD, reset NVRAM and tried them. 

The first EFI from @D3v1L

It looks like you combined some of my Kexts (USBPorts-10c with your own Auros_PRO_z390 aml). 

Unfortunately this did not boot.

I think I had this same problem earlier on while I was trying to install Catalina from from Clover EFI but Im not sure if I ever got past it - I think I switched to OpenCore at that point.

Here is the screen grab where it got stuck. I waited about 5 minutes. 

image.jpeg.c4c8b0e57c8e2a92fc70a1e11bb65f0d.jpeg

The 2nd EFI from @eSaF

This EFI did boot smoothly and first impression are the system is running ok - but unfortunately the shutdown problem is worse. Applications close and the cursor stops but then it get stuck on the desktop background. I waited 10min and it was still like that.

Thank you both for your help. Appreciate any further suggestions you may have.

Cheers, Tom

Uhm, I only update your kext, update OC, re-edit your usb map and remove usb12 (ITE port...not needed in MacOS ..is for RGB controller) , Aorus aml is a combined ACPI for Aorus Pro Z390, simply PMC+HPET+ECUSB+USBX combined in one...

btw, you're on HighSierra?! omg, why?! ..maybe you have some software only work with HS?... (don't use my EFI with HS...never boot at all...is for Monterey and + (work with Ventura 13.3)...my bad i don't see it in time, sorry!)

btw update your bios to F12...why you think they never boot MacOS?! LoL i'm on F12 and it works very well...i don't think BigSur, Monterey, Ventura work with F12 and Catalina no... 😛 

Edited by D3v1L