AudioGod's Aorus Z390 Pro Patched DSDT Mini Guide and Discussion

AudioGod
5,858 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, panosru said:

Sure! Thanks! :) 

Btw, as I said, it might be (most likely) a driver's issue and not related to EFI.

Try this... put your serial etc.

Reboot, press F12, select your Macintosh disc (not OpenCore entries), clean nvram, reset nvram, re-press F12, select disc, go on "Macintosh HD" (or the name of your MacOS system disk), press and hold the "ctrl" key and press enter...

(btw, I hate Wacom... LoL ...go absolutely on Huion now, love it!...and...not for last..love their price ahahah LoL)

EFI.zip

• Like 1

Thanks for the EFI! I noticed that WhatEverGreen is not present and a few other changes compared to my EFI, could you briefly let me know about the changes?

For the USB part, it didn't fixed the issue unfortunately... 

(I haven't tried Huion, I've seen them, but since my wacom does the job, I'll stick with it for now :D

Well...weg not needed with MacPro ...i've add mmio whitelist so, devirtualizemmio work LoL ...i change flawer icon to 145 ..It works better, remove some kind of quirk not really needed...somethings here somethings in other place blablabla ahahah LoL btw think is a driver issue...another thing couse i've leave wacom ahahahah 

• Like 1

Yeah, it seems that other people are also complaining about Wacom drivers in recent Ventura upgrade.... I most definitely will look for other options when the time comes for me to upgrade my old wacom tablet. Huion seems to be a very good alternative indeed, although, for anyone who speaks Russian the name "Huion" sounds "awkward" hahaha 

Thanks @D3v1L!

Edited by panosru
  • Haha 1

I have this in my rig... H64 ...it's absolutely perfect. (wedding photography)... I've sell wacom...have too much problem whit driver since Catalina ...one day they stop working..no money at all, need a tablet pen...amazon, 2250RUB...I say...give it a shot...for the price...my co-worker spend 15x for a new wacom...no driver update for Monterey ahahah xD LoL - close OT -

Edited by D3v1L
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 12:23 PM, D3v1L said:

300% encoding faster than iMac19,1+QuickSinch (but this in my case with navi card...with polaris, maybe 80/90%), more stable system, no need of WEG, on "info on this Mac" i'll see MacPro and this give me good vibes (LoL only a joke)

I checked your statement. It's not true! I saw absolutely no performance gain in encoding/decoding. On the contrary, there is a decrease in productivity by 30-40%. The same observation was made by users on the applelife website. There is an increase in encoding/decoding performance only with Vega+ video cards. The only reason to switch to the MacPro7.1 profile with Polaris graphics cards is a working DRM. There are no more advantages. Once again, I was personally convinced of the falsity of such statements that "300% encoding faster than iMac19,1+QuickSinch (but this in my case with navi card...with polaris, maybe 80/90%), more stable system".
This also does not affect the stability of the system in any way!
The most optimal profile choice for systems with polaris+intel video cards remains iMac19,1! Checked!

Edited by AslashA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AslashA said:

I checked your statement. It's not true! I saw absolutely no performance gain in encoding/decoding. On the contrary, there is a decrease in productivity by 30-40%. The same observation was made by users on the applelife website. There is an increase in encoding/decoding performance only with Vega+ video cards. The only reason to switch to the MacPro7.1 profile with Polaris graphics cards is a working DRM. There are no more advantages. Once again, I was personally convinced of the falsity of such statements that "300% encoding faster than iMac19,1+QuickSinch (but this in my case with navi card...with polaris, maybe 80/90%), more stable system".
This also does not affect the stability of the system in any way!
The most optimal profile choice for systems with polaris+intel video cards remains iMac19,1! Checked!

Absolutely true. 👍🏻...so...you have checked! So, why you ask?

Edited by D3v1L

11 minutes ago, D3v1L said:

So, why you ask?

I asked because I thought something had changed in Ventura.
But why do you say that " (but this is in my case with navi card...with polaris, maybe 80/90%)"?

3 hours ago, AslashA said:

I asked because I thought something had changed in Ventura.
But why do you say that " (but this is in my case with navi card...with polaris, maybe 80/90%)"?

Simply 'couse with my other rig with RX590 i encode 1,8/9x faster than imac19.1 smbios on 13.0.1 ...

I haven't seen any performance increase over the iMac19.1 either, but I still prefer the MacPro7.1. The reasons I prefer the latter are that a) I haven't seen any performance loss either, b) I prefer the Mac Pro icon, c) it supports DRM, which I want since I'm using Apple Music instead of Spotify, d) everything works for me as it did on the iMac19.1, so I don't feel like I'm losing anything.

Of course, I could be wrong and just be missing something, or there could be a performance drop that I haven't noticed (if there is, it could be very small because I haven't noticed any).

Both SMBIOS' are from the year 2019, what really intrigues me is why I haven't noticed any performance drop? I mean, I have a 9700K CPU that has an iGPU, which the iMac19,1 uses for quick sync, and so you get a performance advantage when you're editing video, while the MacPro7,1 uses Xeon CPUs that don't have an iGPU, and so you have to disable your iGPU from your BIOS, which should result in a performance loss (the same goes for 10X00k CPUs).

To be honest though, I do most of my editing on my Hackintosh and I haven't noticed any loss in speed, although I mostly work with 1080p files and occasionally some 4k footage, what I have noticed is that my M2 MacBook Air is much faster at encoding compared to my Hackintosh, which I think is normal (using FCPX).

Stability wise, it could be a placebo effect, I don't know, MacPro7.1 feels more stable to me, that could be related to the fact that I had some issues while on iMac19.1 and now, after @D3v1L's suggestion to switch to MacPro7.1, I don't have any more issues and my system is very stable (which is most important to me).

I wouldn't say the info @D3v1L provided is wrong, he also let me know that since I don't use a Navi card I might not see any performance benefit. But, to be honest, I don't see 80/90% increase in performance, which I don't really care about, and I didn't expect to see such an improvement just by switching SMBIOS.

Ultimately I think both SMIOS should work, there are pros and cons (like DRM and iGPU), so in the end it comes down to what you need. I have heard that the MacPro7.1 doesn't work with sideload, but I have no problems with sideload (I have a Broadcom WiFi and Bluetooth).

Edited by panosru
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, panosru said:

I haven't seen any performance increase over the iMac19.1 either, but I still prefer the MacPro7.1. The reasons I prefer the latter are that a) I haven't seen any performance loss either, b) I prefer the Mac Pro icon, c) it supports DRM, which I want since I'm using Apple Music instead of Spotify, d) everything works for me as it did on the iMac19.1, so I don't feel like I'm losing anything.

Of course, I could be wrong and just be missing something, or there could be a performance drop that I haven't noticed (if there is, it could be very small because I haven't noticed any).

Both SMBIOS' are from the year 2019, what really intrigues me is why I haven't noticed any performance drop? I mean, I have a 9700K CPU that has an iGPU, which the iMac19,1 uses for quick sync, and so you get a performance advantage when you're editing video, while the MacPro7,1 uses Xeon CPUs that don't have an iGPU, and so you have to disable your iGPU from your BIOS, which should result in a performance loss (the same goes for 10X00k CPUs).

To be honest though, I do most of my editing on my Hackintosh and I haven't noticed any loss in speed, although I mostly work with 1080p files and occasionally some 4k footage, what I have noticed is that my M2 MacBook Air is much faster at encoding compared to my Hackintosh, which I think is normal (using FCPX).

Stability wise, it could be a placebo effect, I don't know, MacPro7.1 feels more stable to me, that could be related to the fact that I had some issues while on iMac19.1 and now, after @D3v1L's suggestion to switch to MacPro7.1, I don't have any more issues and my system is very stable (which is most important to me).

I wouldn't say the info @D3v1L provided is wrong, he also let me know that since I don't use a Navi card I might not see any performance benefit. But, to be honest, I don't see 80/90% increase in performance, which I don't really care about, and I didn't expect to see such an improvement just by switching SMBIOS.

Ultimately I think both SMIOS should work, there are pros and cons (like DRM and iGPU), so in the end it comes down to what you need. I have heard that the MacPro7.1 doesn't work with sideload, but I have no problems with sideload (I have a Broadcom WiFi and Bluetooth).

It may not be so in other apps but for FCPX, you should definitely see a huge difference in encoding speed when iGPU is used rather than a software or Polaris VCE especially for MPEG-4 H264.   For TV+ and Music, you can always use AMD DRM override when needed but for DRM in Safari no choice but to use Pro SMBIOS.

Edited by FirstTimeCustomac
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 12:04 AM, FirstTimeCustomac said:

It may not be so in other apps but for FCPX, you should definitely see a huge difference in encoding speed when iGPU is used rather than a software or Polaris VCE especially for MPEG-4 H264.   For TV+ and Music, you can always use AMD DRM override when needed but for DRM in Safari no choice but to use Pro SMBIOS.

Absolutely yes. I agree with you.

With FCPX iGPU and quicksynch are usefull...

Otherwise, with professional software (so, not with fcpx...sorry Apple, but FCPX is not a pro choice...is only for dummies), nope 🙂 

...so, smbios should be iMac19,1 , iMacPro1,1 or, best with Vega+ card, MacPro7,1... if you make "Audio" with your Hackintosh, you need a good soundcard (maybe via thunderbolt or usb-c), great speaker great software......but you don't need dGPU so iMac19,1 is pretty good for you... if you make video production with pro software, you need CORE CORE CORE CORE and RAM RAM RAM RAM and CLOCK and, in some case, great dGPU...so, MacPro7,1 or, in some case, iMacPro1,1 is preferred... if you make photo production, you only need CORE, CLOCK, RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM...and a igpu is too much for you, so iMac19,1 is ok ...simply, try it before use it and then, make your choice!

I have make much test to satisfy my workflow so..what's my smbios choice?

iMac19,1 with RX590 for audio production;

MacPro7,1 with RX6600XT for PhotoProduction;

MacPro7,1 with RX6900XT for Video Production;

real MacPro7,1 for video encoding and bluray production and for use MacOs without legal issue on my office LoL ... 

🙂 

I've been using FCPX, Adobe Premier and DaVinci Resolve for years, I ended up settling with FCPX though because I find it very easy to use and quick for production. I'm not an audio engineer and any sound editing I do is at the minimum level, so Adobe Audition works great for me.

While working with FCPX I haven't noticed and degradation in performance with MacPro7,1 SMBIOS, but maybe indeed there is when encoding and I just didn't noticed it because I always multitask. @D3v1L I'm not sure what you mean with FCPX being only for dummies, you mean that is used by dumb people? I don't agree with that, FCPX is used even in high production studios for quick editing. If you mean that FCPX has an easy to use interface, then yes, it has and that is a good thing.

@D3v1L, since you made my EFI with MacPro7,1, is it possible for you to make an EFI with iMac19,1 for me to test?

Thanks!

On 1/28/2023 at 1:04 AM, FirstTimeCustomac said:

Yes, you're probably right, it is strange that I haven't noticed it though, maybe because I'm not editing 4k videos that much and mostly I'm on 1080p scale, so the performance difference in encoding is so low that I haven't noticed it yet (also because I tend to multitask a lot). I'll do a performance comparison between the two SMBIOS' and I'll post the results here.

My test procedure will be the following:

1. Reboot

2. Run #1 Geekbench GPU benchmark (OpenCL API)

3. Reboot

4. Run #2 Geekbench GPU benchmark (OpenCL API)

5. Reboot

6. Run #3 Geekbench GPU benchmark (Metal API)

7. Reboot

8. Run #4 Geekbench GPU benchmark (Metal API)

9. Reboot

10. Convert a 72,25GB 1080p mov file (Linear PCM, Apple ProRes 422 HQ) to MPEG-2 422 with  Apple Compressor

11. Reboot

12. Convert a 72,25GB 1080p mov file (Linear PCM, Apple ProRes 422 HQ) to YouTube preset with  Apple Compressor

13. Reboot

14. From FCPX I'll encode a small clip I have (1 minute 27 seconds), that utilises a few effects as well, to YouTube 1080p with compression level set to "Better Quality"

15. Reboot

16. From FCPX I'll encode the same small clip to "Export File" with video codec Apple ProRes 422 HQ (1080p)

17. Reboot

18. From FCPX I'll encode a tutorial video I made (1 hours 45 minutes) but it does not have any effects to generate, it is only video cuts, to YouTube 1080p with compression level set to "Better Quality"

19. Reboot

20. From FCPX I'll encode the same tutorial video to "Export File" with video codec Apple ProRes 422 HQ (1080p)

I don't have any other video editing application, I moved them all because I found my "peace" with FCPX and it fills all my need.

Using:

Geekbench v5.5.0

FCPX v10.6.5

Compressor v4.6.3

The reboots will be: Shut down -> 20 seconds rest -> boot

Additional testing that I'll do between those two SMBIOS' - besides performance - will be:

1. Universal clipboard between hackintosh and Apple devices

2. Unlock hackintosh with Apple Watch

3. Continuity Camera

4. AirDrop

5. Make/Receive Call on Hackintosh from iPhone
6. Transfer call between Hackintosh and iPhone (I know that this isn't working well in both SMBIOS', while you can transfer from Hackintosh to iPhone, you can't transfer from iPhone to Hackintosh, the call is dropped instantly).

7. Forward SMS/MMS messages from iPhone to Hackintosh

8. Continue the magic mouse connected to Hackintosh to iPad

9. Use MacBook Air M2 keyboard to write in my Hackintosh (and vice versa)

If you think that I should add anything else to my testing procedure please let me know.

Edited by panosru

1 hour ago, panosru said:

I've been using FCPX, Adobe Premier and DaVinci Resolve (THIS is pro software)...for years, I ended up settling with FCPX though because I find it very easy to use and quick for production. I'm not an audio engineer and any sound editing I do is at the minimum level, so Adobe Audition works great for me.

While working with FCPX I haven't noticed and degradation in performance with MacPro7,1 SMBIOS, but maybe indeed there is when encoding and I just didn't noticed it because I always multitask. @D3v1L I'm not sure what you mean with FCPX being only for dummies, you mean that is used by dumb people (NOPE, I say that 'couse ALL fcpx user's say THIS IS the software for video editing! NO OTHER! and many blablabla...but, seriously, compared to DaVinci, is not pro software.) ? I don't agree with that, FCPX is used even in high production studios for quick editing (uhm, I've work in the past for big TV company and with MGM for a project...and none is using fcpx...90% is DaVinci and Premiere on windows platform...brrrrr bleah ahahah) . If you mean that FCPX has an easy to use interface, then yes, it has and that is a good thing.

@D3v1L, since you made my EFI with MacPro7,1, is it possible for you to make an EFI with iMac19,1 for me to test? ABSOLUTELY YES! give me just a moment and I upload it for you! 🙂

1 hour ago, panosru said:

• Like 1

@D3v1L thanks mate! I don't argue about the competency of Premier and DaVinci Resolve, they are both SUPER GREAT apps, especially the colour grading in DaVinci Resolve is second to NONE, and if you combine it with BlackMagic hardware, then you are on a completely different level! I'm saying the FCPX has evolved a lot in the past years and it is at a point now that combined with FxFactory and a few other plugins I can get away with only using FCPX for my projects :) The render with M2 is blazing fast btw :D

17 minutes ago, D3v1L said:

NOPE, I say that 'couse ALL fcpx user's say THIS IS the software for video editing! NO OTHER!

haha, of course NO! FCPX is just another app for videography which obviously is not the best out there but it does a pretty good job for most of the things someone need for personal and even professional work (I'm not talking about Hollywood level). 

Edited by panosru
  • Like 1

@panosru here the efi.

EFI iMac19.1 headless.zip

iMac19,1 with iGPU in headless mode for QuickSynch.

Remember to enable the iGPU LoL set ram video to 64mb (if they won't start, try 32) and DVMT to 256mb..

ouch ...i've put serial etc generated with script...so ready to test! ...maybe switch ROM with yours

• Thanks 1

@D3v1L Thanks a lot!! I will proceed with the testing today when I'll come home, which might be at midnight, otherwise tomorrow morning! I will post the results here, also, if you believe that I should add something more in my testing plan, please let me know! :D 

• Like 1

Uhm...just a thing... for opencl and opencl + CPU, don't use geekbench as a test software...it give you too different score every test... LoL use LuxMark instead...

Edited by D3v1L
  • Thanks 1

Ok, it's 5am now and I just completed the tests. The results to be honest are not as expected, TLTR: They performed about the same but MacPro7,1 completely crashed iMac19,1 in x265 8-bit encoding.

This is the results table:

image.thumb.png.1bdd8518ab843924001fdcc1820d49c4.png

What each test number means:

1. 1st run of Geekbench with OpenCL
  2. 1st run of LuxMark with OpenCL CPUs+GPUs
  3. 2nd run of Geekbench with OpenCL
  4. 2nd run of LuxMark with OpenCL CPUs+GPUs
  5. 1st run of Geekbench with Metal
  6. 2nd run of Geekbench with Metal
  7. Convert the 2022-11-17 mov file to MPEG-2 422 with Apple Compressor
  8. Convert the same file to YouTube profile (up to 4k) with Apple Compressor
  9. Export a small project (1m 27s 1080p) that contains some VFX with export settings set to Format: Video and Audio, Codec: Source - Apple ProRes 422
  10. Export a small project (5m 12s 1080p) that does not contain any VFX with same export settings as #9
  11. Export a medium project (27m 8s 1080p no VFX), export settings: Format Web Hosting, Codec: H.264 Faster Encode, Resolution: 1920x1080
  12. Export a large project (47m 33sec 1080p no VFX), same export settings as #11
  13. Export a large project (2h 30m 22s 1080p no VFX), same export settings as #12
  14. Export a small project (1m 27s 1080p with VFX), export settings: Apple Devices, Codec: HEVC 8-bit, Resolution: 1920x1080

The 2022-11-17 mov file info are:

image.png.fee36f23bb3cd9e9c5a087c6b8c9339d.png

iGPU was enabled when under iMac19,1:

image.png.7c7ce7d9a7e49081f5096fded09f9e1b.png

it also was utilised while encoding:

image.thumb.png.ce3f162afe8004f4dda94d41bbd44d7a.png

Under MacPro7,1 there is no GFX line in the chart:

image.png.610edd597037cad7cb81a03bb227040a.png

I attach the zip file with screenshots of the tests.

For measuring FCPX time I used ChronoX which worked fine (except HEVC where I had to manually measure the duration with my phone).

I don't think that I made any mistake with iGPU and the iMac19,1 SMBIOS, before starting the test when switched SMBIOS I made sure that the iGPU was recognised and utilised by macOS (as shown in the screenshots).

Based on my tests, as I said, I don't see any difference between the two SMBIOS' and I feel that MacPro7,1 performs much better for HEVC encoding.

If I made a mistake please let me know, I tried to make the tests fair and square.

1949000905_TestResults.zip

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, panosru said:

Ok, it's 5am now and I just completed the tests. The results to be honest are not as expected, TLTR: They performed about the same but MacPro7,1 completely crashed iMac19,1 in x265 8-bit encoding.

This is the results table:

image.thumb.png.1bdd8518ab843924001fdcc1820d49c4.png

What each test number means:

1. 1st run of Geekbench with OpenCL
  2. 1st run of LuxMark with OpenCL CPUs+GPUs
  3. 2nd run of Geekbench with OpenCL
  4. 2nd run of LuxMark with OpenCL CPUs+GPUs
  5. 1st run of Geekbench with Metal
  6. 2nd run of Geekbench with Metal
  7. Convert the 2022-11-17 mov file to MPEG-2 422 with Apple Compressor
  8. Convert the same file to YouTube profile (up to 4k) with Apple Compressor
  9. Export a small project (1m 27s 1080p) that contains some VFX with export settings set to Format: Video and Audio, Codec: Source - Apple ProRes 422
  10. Export a small project (5m 12s 1080p) that does not contain any VFX with same export settings as #9
  11. Export a medium project (27m 8s 1080p no VFX), export settings: Format Web Hosting, Codec: H.264 Faster Encode, Resolution: 1920x1080
  12. Export a large project (47m 33sec 1080p no VFX), same export settings as #11
  13. Export a large project (2h 30m 22s 1080p no VFX), same export settings as #12
  14. Export a small project (1m 27s 1080p with VFX), export settings: Apple Devices, Codec: HEVC 8-bit, Resolution: 1920x1080

The 2022-11-17 mov file info are:

image.png.fee36f23bb3cd9e9c5a087c6b8c9339d.png

iGPU was enabled when under iMac19,1:

image.png.7c7ce7d9a7e49081f5096fded09f9e1b.png

it also was utilised while encoding:

image.thumb.png.ce3f162afe8004f4dda94d41bbd44d7a.png

Under MacPro7,1 there is no GFX line in the chart:

image.png.610edd597037cad7cb81a03bb227040a.png

I attach the zip file with screenshots of the tests.

For measuring FCPX time I used ChronoX which worked fine (except HEVC where I had to manually measure the duration with my phone).

I don't think that I made any mistake with iGPU and the iMac19,1 SMBIOS, before starting the test when switched SMBIOS I made sure that the iGPU was recognised and utilised by macOS (as shown in the screenshots).

Based on my tests, as I said, I don't see any difference between the two SMBIOS' and I feel that MacPro7,1 performs much better for HEVC encoding.

If I made a mistake please let me know, I tried to make the tests fair and square.

1949000905_TestResults.zip 5.18 MB · 0 downloads

You've made correct one.

Can you please, AFTER SLEEP (lol) repeat test 12 and 13 but, with hevc? ...

Edited by D3v1L

Yeah, I can repeat those two tests. So, you need me to boot into each SMBIOS, put it to sleep (eg 1 minute) then run the tests, correct?

I can send you the projects from 12 and 13 in a dm for you to test.

also, I could buy a 6600 XT today or tomorrow but my main issue is that it has only 4 outputs while I have 5 monitors. I’m trying to find out if it is possible to keep both my RX 580 and the 6600XT and have the 6600XT only for computation and the RX 580 for output (or something like that).

Edited by panosru
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, panosru said:

I’m trying to find out if it is possible to keep both my RX 580 and the 6600XT and have the 6600XT only for computation and the RX 580 for output (or something like that).

think is not possible 😕 

16 minutes ago, D3v1L said:

think is not possible 😕 

Then I'll keep my RX580, I prefer having more monitors than performance :D

btw, I'm almost done with the tests you asked, I'm running now the last test on iMac19,1 but so far I can tell that with MacPro7,1 I'm getting double the encoding speed for x265. I will post the results here once I'm done.

• Thanks 1

So, the #12 test:

iMac19,1: 20m 18s

MacPro7,1: 11m 31s

the #13 test:

iMac19,1: 1h 2m 18s

MacPro7,1: 35m 42s

I was very surprised to see that much of a difference between iMac19,1 and MacPro7,1, especially since iMac19,1 was underperforming that much. iGPU was utilised fully:

image.thumb.png.29ffa9b9549389ee49bb485d19540a31.png

My verdict is, based on my system and my tests, that if you are working with x265 encoding, it is worth changing to MacPro7,1 even with Polaris GPU, indeed, as @D3v1L said, there is ~90% increase in encoding speed. Other than that, I don't see any difference between the two SMBIOS'. The continuity features were working exactly the same. With iMac19,1 GPU proximity sensor in iStat Menus wasn’t working. I’ll stick with MacPro7,1 for my setup :)

Edited by panosru
  • Like 3