[pre-release] macOS Mojave

2,429 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, telepati said:

My mobo on my signature. These are the slots I use. All other slots are empty.

Z170-A_2D.jpg

Check BIOs settings because your manual says:

The M.2 shares SATA mode with SATA Express. Change this item before installing M.2 SATA devices. Default setting is SATA Express

Onboard Devices Configuration > M.2 and SATA Express Mode Configuration > M.2

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Today after switching from macOS High Sierra to macOS Mojave, after writing the new name in my ssd I saw the following files in the list, and I don't know what they are, but before emptying my trash is better to ask... 

The same file was in my other ssd with Mojave.

installer.failurerequests

installer.failurerequests 2

Edited by MorenoAv

4 hours ago, Pavo said:

Check BIOs settings because your manual says:

The M.2 shares SATA mode with SATA Express. Change this item before installing M.2 SATA devices. Default setting is SATA Express

Onboard Devices Configuration > M.2 and SATA Express Mode Configuration > M.2

I read the manual over and over again. My SATA Express ports are empty. But when change SataExpress to M.2 I cant never boot. But I didn't remove the device first. I think just like you said first I must remove NVME >Change Bios Settings to M.2>Shut Down>Install device again>Start.  I will try that then share the result. We will see what will happen. 

Edit: I used that setting a very long time and I remember what happen the change this setting on BIOS. I also tried again just like you said. Here it is what happening after change this setting; when you change this setting to M.2 machine restart itself 2 times and change this setting to SataExpress Automatically. You can't set up this setting to M.2. Default Setting is the right setting for NVME.

Edited by telepati

2 hours ago, MorenoAv said:

Hi Guys,

Today after switching from macOS High Sierra to macOS Mojave, after writing the new name in my ssd I saw the following files in the list, and I don't know what they are, but before emptying my trash is better to ask... 

The same file was in my other ssd with Mojave.

installer.failurerequests

installer.failurerequests 2

this file is suppose to hidden

Command

sudo chflags hidden /Volumes/"name of SSD"/installer.failurerequests

Edited by chris1111

11 hours ago, MorenoAv said:

After trying the command you provided, it didn't work, but I realized that all the contents are visible, as you could see in the photos attached...

Captura de ecrã 2018-09-18, às 16.41.33.png

Captura de ecrã 2018-09-18, às 16.41.11.png

If the volumes name is macOS Mojave

Copy and paste this command in terminal

sudo chflags hidden /Volumes/"macOS Mojave"/installer.failurerequests

Dear Telepati,

M.2 is a connector type, like USB-C is a connector type, it has nothing to do with speed. Your EVO drive is NVME, but you are trying to run it in a SATA slot, so you will have to settle for the slower SATA speed.

Edited by jerryy2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jerryy2 said:

Dear Telepati,

M.2 is a connector type, like USB-C is a connector type, it has nothing to do with speed. Your EVO drive is NVME, but you are trying to run it in a SATA slot, so you will have to settle for the slower SATA speed.

Thanks to info. But how to other people getting almost full speed? They are using the onboard socket just like me. should I use my NMVE with PCI adapter for speed?

25 minutes ago, telepati said:

Thanks to info. But how to other people getting almost full speed? They are using the onboard socket just like me. should I use my NMVE with PCI adapter for speed?

I tried onboard and adapters and got the same speed. So I use one of the onboard sockets now. My mobo has 3 onboard sockets and came with an adapter (Gigabyte Aorus 9 (X299)) so I use the one that's fastest and has best airflow. I only have one GPU though, and no other PCIE devices and the i9 7900 has heaps of spare whossnames.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, telepati said:

I have similar issue with my MB (z97, older than yours). I'm using a PCIe adapter in one PCIe3.0 slot and it's running ok. It should be PCIe3.0x4 as minimum for full speed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, telepati said:

I suppose there are some options:

1.) Sell the drive and get a SATA type NVME SSD to replace it. (Your EVO is PCI-e type) This way you will not have the issue nagging at you.

2.) If you have an empty PCIe slot, get an adapter and go that route. These are not terribly expensive, but you might have to skip buying lunch for a few days. This also frees up your M.2 slot.

3.) Get a new motherboard that has M.2 connectors that are PCI-e based instead of SATA based.

4.) Shrug and just live with it as is, and do not let it bother you late at night.

I am trying not to dump salt into a wound, but this is the score I get using the test suite Pavo is using on a Gigabyte Z370 series motherboard with i5 cpu and pci-e based M.2 connectors:

1841265150_ScreenShot2018-09-17at8_14_13PM.jpg.d6c0e67c549feedc57a6e583cfae6d2a.jpg

edit:

p.s. For what it is worth, I read somewhere that if your motherboard's temperature sensors are not acting right and are reading hot, the mother board will throttle the NVME drives to keep the temperature cooler. I do not know how to replace those very easily if they are malfunctioning.

Edited by jerryy2
addendum added
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Allan said:

Hey @telepati, I don't know if you already told this, or if someone already asked you, but...do you have the last UEFI/BIOS version?

Yes, I have the latest BIOS v3802.

5 hours ago, jerryy2 said:

1.) Sell the drive and get a SATA type NVME SSD to replace it. (Your EVO is PCI-e type) This way you will not have the issue nagging at you. 

Here is the weird thing coming; My board specification says it supports both SATA & PCIE mode.

1 x M.2 x4 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode)

Or am I interpreting this sentence incorrectly?

@surfinchina @jerryy2 @DocXavier

are you all getting the same score for each test?

Here are my 5 test results in a row;

1) 1560MB W 2100MB R

2) 700MB W 2150MB R

3) 350MB W 2185MB R

4) 1537MB W 2150MB R

5) 1532MB W 2085MB R

This EVO is my boot drive and its APFS. is it possible the test without format on windows? I tried with Samsung Magician and CrystalDiskMark, but it does not allow.

Also, I don't get it why I am not choosing M.2 on BIOS? When I try to choose it always turning SataExpress automatically after restart.

Edited by telepati

On 9/17/2018 at 11:11 AM, telepati said:

is this your Kingston or EVO?  I tried also HFPS+ but this does not change anything. @Pavo are you using anything such as SSDT, settings on config.plist or BIOS settings?

move the Wifi/BT card off the M.2 shared slot (what you have explained is that your system is sharing resources with the first Pcie slot and the NVME slot) move the card to slot 3 or 4 (the last PCIE slot) should fix the read/write speeds.

I get 1855MB/s write, 2450MB/s read with an Evo 960.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 2:57 AM, telepati said:

My mobo on my signature. These are the slots I use. All other slots are empty.

Z170-A_2D.jpg

Do you have any other sata drives attached, I have a m.2 that shares bandwidth with one of the sata slots if attached. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, telepati said:

Yes, I have the latest BIOS v3802.

Here is the weird thing coming; My board specification says it supports both SATA & PCIE mode.

1 x M.2 x4 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode)

Or am I interpreting this sentence incorrectly?

@surfinchina @jerryy2 @DocXavier

are you all getting the same score for each test?

Here are my 5 test results in a row;

1) 1560MB W 2100MB R

2) 700MB W 2150MB R

3) 350MB W 2185MB R

4) 1537MB W 2150MB R

5) 1532MB W 2085MB R

This EVO is my boot drive and its APFS. is it possible the test without format on windows? I tried with Samsung Magician and CrystalDiskMark, but it does not allow.

Also, I don't get it why I am not choosing M.2 on BIOS? When I try to choose it always turning SataExpress automatically after restart.

Your interpretation is fine, but you have ran into the small print disclaimer, so to speak. My motherboard's manual says the same thing, just about word for word. Later though, in the small print section, the manual informs me that if I put a SATA type NVME drive in that M.2 slot, I will lose the regular SATA 0 port because of the bus sharing. Putting a pci-e type drive in there has no such restrictions.

I think HBP's approach will be the easiest to try, not to overlook it being the least expensive. That should get you to having consistent SATA speeds for the drive. After that, the adapter should get you a little more speed, along the lines of what Pavo posted, but that is a conversation more for you and your cash flow.

The results I posted are fairly steady. If I run the test suite for a bunch of trials, I get some results that are faster and some that are slower, but mostly similar to the one I posted. (I do not run the suite when backups or indexing is occurring.)

I only can give you a glib answer about why your BIOS does not retain the setting. It maybe that the BIOS sees your wifi card and decides to make sure it takes priority and acts accordingly. The BIOS on my motherboard will not retain the onboard clock setting I enter no matter which time zone I set it to, it always reverts to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) on the next startup.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sherlocks said:

thanks emoji4.png

나의 LG-F800S 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Hi there , is it you that came up with " xcpm_assert_wrmsr © Sherlocks"  and "xcpm_assert_rdmsr © Sherlocks" patches for High Sierra?

Those patches boosted my cpu made it more snappier is there an update for Mojave maybe?