[HOW TO] Fix QuickLook and Preview loading issues in Mojave

330 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'd like to check if what I have done is ok: I enabled my internal GPU from my UEFI settings and I got quick look and preview working. However, the iGPU doesn't show on System Information. Under the graphics section, only my RX 580 is shown. I did not change my SMBIOS or installed any kext. Have done correctly? Thanks!

Hi all, I'd like to check if what I have done is ok: I enabled my internal GPU from my UEFI settings and I got quick look and preview working. However, the iGPU doesn't show on System Information. Under the graphics section, only my RX 580 is shown. I did not change my SMBIOS or installed any kext. Have done correctly? Thanks!

Are you sure it’s enabled then? What’s your iGPU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, reloadedhead said:

If you're using WhateverGreen, I think that will enable it without showing it in Graphics in your System Report.

Now, let's take them one by one:
1. Please, add your hardware information to your signture so we know what are we talking about. :) 

2. If you're using a MacPro SMBIOS, that will not show any IGPU since they've got none.

3. To make sure the iGPU is enabled on the OS side, as well, you need two things added to your config.plist, for as far as I know:

• InjectIntel (should be checked)
  • correct ig-platform-id for your iGPU

So, in order to see what we are dealing with, we need to know which hardware are you using (aside from the RX 580 which was obvious). And which SMBIOS. If the iGPU is enabled in BIOS, and everything else is configured correctly on system side, it should show up.

7 hours ago, arsradu said:

If you're using WhateverGreen, I think that will enable it without showing it in Graphics in your System Report.

Now, let's take them one by one:
1. Please, add your hardware information to your signture so we know what are we talking about. :) 

2. If you're using a MacPro SMBIOS, that will not show any IGPU since they've got none.

3. To make sure the iGPU is enabled on the OS side, as well, you need two things added to your config.plist, for as far as I know:

• InjectIntel (should be checked)
  • correct ig-platform-id for your iGPU

So, in order to see what we are dealing with, we need to know which hardware are you using (aside from the RX 580 which was obvious). And which SMBIOS. If the iGPU is enabled in BIOS, and everything else is configured correctly on system side, it should show up.

I am not using WhateverGreen. 

1. I added my HW info to my signature!

2. My SMBIOS is iMac 18,1

3. Should I add those things since I have already solved the problem?

Thanks!

46 minutes ago, reloadedhead said:

I am not using WhateverGreen. 

1. I added my HW info to my signature!

2. My SMBIOS is iMac 18,1

3. Should I add those things since I have already solved the problem?

Thanks!

You mean the QuickLook/Preview issues? Yeah, the problem is fixed, but if I go this right, you want to have your iGPU displayed in System Report -> Graphics, right?

Which, I think is more of a cosmetic issue than anything else. :)) But it is displayed in my case. So...we can try InjectIntel and ig-platform-id 0x3E910003 or 0x3E920003 or 0x3E9B0007 and see if it makes any difference.

You can use Clover Configurator for a more user-friendly approach.

181989838_Screenshot2018-11-21at15_36_26.png.729bd01e2cd3d8ce6852f5565e073ebd.png

If it doesn't bother you that much, you can just as well ignore it. :)) But looks like something is not recognised.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, arsradu said:

You mean the QuickLook/Preview issues? Yeah, the problem is fixed, but if I go this right, you want to have your iGPU displayed in Graphics under System Report, right?

Which, I think is more of a cosmetic issue than anything else. :)) But it is displayed in my case. So...we can try InjectIntel and ig-platform-id 0x3E910003 or 0x3E920003 or 0x3E9B0007 and see if it makes any difference.

You can use Clover Configurator for a more user-friendly approach.

181989838_Screenshot2018-11-21at15_36_26.png.729bd01e2cd3d8ce6852f5565e073ebd.png

If it doesn't bother you that much, you can just as well ignore it. :)) But looks like something is not recognised.

i activate hardware acceleration through this patching whatevergreen.kext.

Just now, xtddd said:

i activate hardware acceleration through this patching whatevergreen.kext.

Yeah, as I said, WhateverGreen will do pretty much the same thing as the things I mentioned at point 3 above. But since reloadedhead doesn't use WhateverGreen, another way is by injecting Intel and adding ig-platform-id.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arsradu said:

Yeah, as I said, WhateverGreen will do pretty much the same thing as the things I mentioned at point 3 above. But since reloadedhead doesn't use WhateverGreen, another way is by injecting Intel and adding ig-platform-id.

injecting Intel and adding ig-platform-id can also works fine. i tested it 

50 minutes ago, pprommelus said:

Hello! 
I still do not have a working preview.:( I tried NoVPAJpeg and changed smbios. does anyone have any idea how to fix it?

Intel Core i3 4150 
Intel HD 4400
macOS Mojave

Reveal hidden contents

Zrzut ekranu 2018-11-22 o 21.41.00.png

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_5013.jpg

Have you tried WhateverGreen.kext?

20 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

Are you using FV2?

If not your drivers64uefi folder can be trimmed.....a lot.

Which smbios are you using now?

No, I don't use FV2, so you sugest that i can remove some drivers form drivers64uefi?
Now i'm using SMBIOS - iMac14,2 

4 hours ago, pprommelus said:
No, I don't use FV2, so you sugest that i can remove some drivers form drivers64uefi?

Now i'm using SMBIOS - iMac14,2 

Yes you can remove quite a few.

I’ll update this post with a screenshot of my drivers64uefi folder non FV2.

Also can you post a screenshot of what it looks like when you try preview.

1455574037_ScreenShot2018-11-24at1_14_36pm.png.3d1761de7fa1238a98953ff0e38347f9.png

Also backup your config.plist and try the one attached.

config.plist

Edited by SavageAUS

On 11/24/2018 at 3:42 AM, SavageAUS said:

Also can you post a screenshot of what it looks like when you try preview.

Also backup your config.plist and try the one attached.

config.plist

Preview issue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QemQrYo2-_0&feature=youtu.be
When I try to boot with your config I got a "failed to get apfs volume key bag, err = 2"

On 11/25/2018 at 8:42 PM, pprommelus said:

Preview issue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QemQrYo2-_0&feature=youtu.be
When I try to boot with your config I got a "failed to get apfs volume key bag, err = 2"

Do you have video acceleration? Cause it kinda looks like you don't... Also, that is not the Preview issue this thread is meant to fix. The Preview issue of this thread (but that's not your issue, for as far as I can see), is that when trying to open a jpeg file, the window will display a loading animation and freeze in that state. You don't get a picture at all. But as i said, this is not the issue in your case, for as far as I can see.

EDIT:

Are you using a patched SSDT/DSDT? If you do, please, remove them before attempting any of this.

Also, for as far as I could read online, in order to get Full QE/CI, you need to patch a few things, which looks like you didn't. So...as I was suspecting, you don't have full acceleration. And that issue seems to be the result of that.

You can try the attached config plist and see if it makes any difference.

I'm not sure if WhateverGreen is supposed to fix this...but it kinda looks like it doesn't help much here. Ooor...maybe this is a different issue specific to Mojave. But judging by the stuttering I saw in your video, my guess is that there is something wrong with your video acceleration. Also, it shows that your issue has nothing to do with the Preview issue that this thread is aiming to fix. :) But that's a different story.

I would recommend leaving the attached config's name "config2.plist", exactly as it is right now. Just in case there's something I messed up and you can't boot anymore. Also, I'm not sure that IntelGFX 0x04128086 is the correct value for you. I'd say, IF (and ONLY IF) you're planning on going this route, maybe try 0x0a168086 instead.

But first, try without anything, since the patches I added in Kernel and Kext Patches should (at least in theory) take care of that anyway. But as I said, if you wanna go that route, maybe try 0x0a168086 instead in Devices -> IntelGFX.

Now, how to use the config2.plist I gave you without replacing the original config. Well, just copy-paste it in Clover/config2.plist, and upon booting up, in Clover UI, go to Options -> Configs and select Config2.plist. Then Return, and boot normally by selecting your boot partition.

This way, you still keep your default config.plist, should you need it. And you can still try the changes I proposed in this new config without messing up your system.

Also, I left ig-platform-id 0x0D220003 in Graphics, but...I'm not sure that's correct either... I could be wrong though.

You can try to see if you get your iGPU properly recognised in About this Mac -> System Report -> Graphics/Displays. Maybe post a screenshot here, as well, if you can.

Also, as a side note, I would recommend getting a dedicat GPU, if possible. Even some older ones like the Nvidia GTX 650 are miles better than the on-board graphics. And they're very cheap. Not to mention, the GTX 650 works OOB including in Mojave.

config2.plist

Edited by arsradu

On 11/25/2018 at 8:05 PM, arsradu said:

Do you have video acceleration? Cause it kinda looks like you don't... Also, that is not the Preview issue this thread is meant to fix. The Preview issue of this thread (but that's not your issue, for as far as I can see), is that when trying to open a jpeg file, the window will display a loading animation and freeze in that state. You don't get a picture at all. But as i said, this is not the issue in your case, for as far as I can see.

Thank you for your help and commitment :)

Unfortunately, your system did not want to run with your config. It started when I turned off the Intel Inject, but there is absolutely no graphics acceleration.

1349380378_Zrzutekranu2018-11-27o21_17_49.thumb.png.47431f81b767e6cbd3a3684777682832.png

On my config, regardless of whether I type IntelGFX, ig-platform-id, Inject Intel, the graphics work, but there is still a problem with the preview.
1200002812_Zrzutekranu2018-11-26o23_59_19.thumb.png.992ef552e6c544efc146e7201d57b4c1.png

You probably are right that the graphics do not work 100%. According to what guide should I try to patch 4400 in Mojave?

Unfortunately I have no place on the GPU in my case, so I have to run Intel :((((((((

Edited by pprommelus

9 minutes ago, pprommelus said:

Thank you for your help and commitment :)

Unfortunately, your system did not want to run with your config. It started when I turned off the Intel Inject, but there is absolutely no graphics acceleration.

On my config, regardless of whether I type IntelGFX, ig-platform-id, Inject Intel, the graphics work, but there is still a problem with the preview.

You probably are right that the graphics do not work 100%. According to what guide should I try to patch 4400 in Mojave?

Unfortunately I have no place on the GPU in my case, so I have to run Intel :((((((((

No idea.... I'm not sure it can be fixed... Especially if it worked fine with High Sierra. For as far as I can tell, it seems to be something specific to Mojave.

Anyway, which case are you using? Even really small ones still allow for a PCI graphics card... And the GTX 650 is small anyway. I'm sorry, I'm not sure how to fix this. What I can tell you is that you're definitely not the only one with this issue on the Intel HD 4400 and Mojave.

32 minutes ago, arsradu said:

No idea.... I'm not sure it can be fixed... Especially if it worked fine with High Sierra. For as far as I can tell, it seems to be something specific to Mojave.

Anyway, which case are you using? Even really small ones still allow for a PCI graphics card... And the GTX 650 is small anyway. I'm sorry, I'm not sure how to fix this. What I can tell you is that you're definitely not the only one with this issue on the Intel HD 4400 and Mojave.

I use thermaltake core v1 and miniitx board and I have one PCIe slot in which I have a wifi adapter card. I would have to change the MOBO and case. then I could use the GPU. 

Maybe it would be good with another CPU? with HD4600, e.g. i3-43XX ??

On 11/28/2018 at 1:17 AM, pprommelus said:

I use thermaltake core v1 and miniitx board and I have one PCIe slot in which I have a wifi adapter card. I would have to change the MOBO and case. then I could use the GPU. 

Maybe it would be good with another CPU? with HD4600, e.g. i3-43XX ??

Yeah...since that slot is already filled, and since this is a Mini-ITX board...not much you can do. That's one reason I hate Mini-ITX boards. You're just too limited. Full ATX is the best choice in my opinion. But yes, that also means more space taken by your computer. 

Also, it would have helped if the motherboard itself had built-in WiFi. But...unfortunately the ASUS H81i Plus does not. 

I'm using an i5-4570, supported OOB, with Intel Graphics HD 4600. And it does work in Mojave with only Inject Intel and ig-platform-id 0x0D220003. But...to advise you to buy another CPU just for this...would be madness.

If you want, a cheaper upgrade would probably be the motherboard itself. Take something with WiFI built-in so you don't waste the PCI slot with expansion cards. Like this H97N board form Gigabyte, for example. BUT keep in mind if you want wifi working on MacOS, you might wanna do a little bit of research and see if that chipset is supported or not. I've never had a WIFI-enabled motherboard. I'm not sure I need one for a Desktop computer... But if you really want WiFi and also a small chassis, that's another way to do it.

Another combo is indeed the motherboard and case, going Full/Standard ATX, or even Micro-ATX (2 PCI slots).

But my recommendation remains: you better get a dedicated GPU regardless which CPU are you using. Even if it's an older one (like the GTX 650 I mentioned before). As long as it's supported OOB, you're good to go. It's literally plug&play. No Inject Nvidia necessary, no Nvidia drivers necessary. It literally just works. And it will still perform better than any integrated GPU.

I don't know, you need to do your research, your calculations, see which possible combo works best for you. But...until then, this is not the topic for fixing that specific issue you're having. It is a Preview issue. But it's not this specific issue that this thread is meant to fix. Your Preview works fine in terms of opening photos. In the sense that it doesn't hang when doing that. The problem is somewhere else.

Edited by arsradu

Hello,

Hackintosh noob, here!  I'm almost there with my first Hackintosh, and this is something that seems to not want to be fixed, hopefully you experts will know how! 

Hardware is:

Rog Strix Z390-i

Gigabyte RX560

970 Pro M.2

Running Mojave 10.14

My issue is that when I try to view images, the preview app tries to open the image and it just hangs there and has to be force quit.  So far, I have tried changing to 18,3 iMac, that seems to be the best fit all round, I have added the noVPAjpeg.kext and this had no effect at all.

Is there anything else I can do to fix this?  Thanks.

Hello,

Hackintosh noob, here!  I'm almost there with my first Hackintosh, and this is something that seems to not want to be fixed, hopefully you experts will know how! 

Hardware is:

Rog Strix Z390-i
Gigabyte RX560
970 Pro M.2

Running Mojave 10.14

My issue is that when I try to view images, the preview app tries to open the image and it just hangs there and has to be force quit.  So far, I have tried changing to 18,3 iMac, that seems to be the best fit all round, I have added the noVPAjpeg.kext and this had no effect at all.

Is there anything else I can do to fix this?  Thanks.

Have you enabled iGPU?

4 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

Have you enabled iGPU?

Thanks.  Do you mean in the BIOS?  I was using the 630 graphics up until yesterday when I fitted the RX560, but I'm not sure if it didn't work prior to the 560.  If possible, I'd like to be able to use the 560, can it be done? Cheers.