[HOW TO] Fix QuickLook and Preview loading issues in Mojave

330 posts in this topic

Thanks.  Do you mean in the BIOS?  I was using the 630 graphics up until yesterday when I fitted the RX560, but I'm not sure if it didn't work prior to the 560.  If possible, I'd like to be able to use the 560, can it be done? Cheers.

Yes I mean the bios.

If you read the first post, even with having a dGPU sometimes having the iGPU enabled fixes the issue. Even when the iGPU isn’t it use ( eg monitor plugged into RX560 )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

Yes I mean the bios.

If you read the first post, even with having a dGPU sometimes having the iGPU enabled fixes the issue. Even when the iGPU isn’t it use ( eg monitor plugged into RX560 )

Ah I see.  I think it is set to auto, but I will check now, thanks for the info and taking the time to reply.:)

33 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

Yes I mean the bios.

That worked perfectly, thanks again for this, it is much appreciated :D 

Yeah, it's kinda weird that the NoVPAJpeg kext works for some people but doesn't work for others.

Thanks, SavageAUS, for the helping hand. :)

Monkey303, one other way to fix this is to switch to a MacPro SMBIOS, such as MacPro5,1 or MacPro6,1. But if you chose an iMac SMBIOS, just as SavageAUS said, you need to make sure the iGPU is enabled in BIOS. You don't have to be physically connected to the iGPU. Just to have it enabled.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

Now try removing NoVPA unless you already did.

Thanks.  No I didn't remove it yet, I have a few glitches happening, it's kind of like the NAS drive is going really slow, if I hit space bar, it's taking a while (20 seconds +) to preview the image.  I have Path Finder installed, I find it good for archiving music, but that really doesn't like opening images on this Hackintosh, it just crashes, Finder is a bit better.  So I guess my issues are the NoVPA file still in place?  I'll remove it and see.  Cheers.

13 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Yeah, it's kinda weird that the NoVPAJpeg kext works for some people but doesn't work for others.

Monkey303, one other way to fix this is to switch to a MacPro SMBIOS, such as MacPro5,1 or MacPro6,1. But if you chose an iMac SMBIOS, just as SavageAUS said, you need to make sure the iGPU is enabled in BIOS. You don't have to be physically connected to the iGPU. Just to have it enabled.

OK thanks for the info, I have enabled iGPU in the BIOS and removed the NoVPA file and it seems to be working well now in finder, but not path finder, but that will be OK :) cheers. 

Edit: pathfinder seems to have caught up now, so all's good!

Edited by Monkey303
  • Like 2

On 11/29/2018 at 11:43 PM, arsradu said:

Hey guys, I have the iMac 18,3 SMBIOS and deactivated iGPU - most elegant solution IMHO as I have the i5-8600K and a RX580 GPU. Unfortunately quick view and Preview both don't work with JPEG images. I tried the kext (NoVPAJpeg.kext) in CLOVER/kexts/Other where I also have Lilu.kext but it didn't work.  

Anything else that I could try to make it work?

Thanks in advance!
Dave

2 hours ago, unixb0y said:

Hey guys, I have the iMac 18,3 SMBIOS and deactivated iGPU - most elegant solution IMHO as I have the i5-8600K and a RX580 GPU. Unfortunately quick view and Preview both don't work with JPEG images. I tried the kext (NoVPAJpeg.kext) in CLOVER/kexts/Other where I also have Lilu.kext but it didn't work.  

Anything else that I could try to make it work?

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Yes, enable the iGPU. :)

Another solution, as I mentioned before, is to switch to a MacPro/iMacPro SMBIOS.

Edited by arsradu

18 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Yes, enable the iGPU. :)

Another solution, as I mentioned before, is to switch to a MacPro/iMacPro SMBIOS.

Okay :/ I was hoping not to need to activate the iGPU or to use a „wrong“ SMBIOS.

What if I put the kexts in /L/E instead of the clover path?

26 minutes ago, unixb0y said:

Okay :/ I was hoping not to need to activate the iGPU or to use a „wrong“ SMBIOS.

What if I put the kexts in /L/E instead of the clover path?

18.3 is not the wrong SMBIOS for the RX580. And real iMacs DO have an iGPU. Not sure why you think otherwise.

You can put the kext in /L/E but I'm not sure that's gonna make a difference.

Edited by arsradu

2 hours ago, arsradu said:

18.3 is not the wrong SMBIOS for the RX580. And real iMacs DO have an iGPU. Not sure why you think otherwise.

You can put the kext in /L/E but I'm not sure that's gonna make a difference.

Yeah I meant that it would be the wrong SMBIOS if I’d choose the Mac Pro one :D

That‘s true, the iMacs do have the iGPU! Why do we usually deactivate it btw?

PS: I will just activate it later :)

Edited by unixb0y

34 minutes ago, unixb0y said:

Yeah I meant that it would be the wrong SMBIOS if I’d choose the Mac Pro one :D

That‘s true, the iMacs do have the iGPU! Why do we usually deactivate it btw?

PS: I will just activate it later :)

Well, we don't. But apparently you do. :)) I have no idea why. I don't deactivate it. And in this case, it actually helps to solve the issue, if you don't deactivate it. Also, it's used for the same purpose on real iMacs, if I'm not mistaken. So....it's as close to "real iMacs" as possible. Not sure where did you get this idea. But I don't think it's correct.

So yeah...if you're planning on using the iMac18,3 SMBIOS (which would match the RX580 you're using), I would recommend that you activate your iGPU (you don't have to be physically connected to it, just to have it enabled) and maybe using WhateverGreen, in case you're encountering issues such as freezes some times, or lack of signal during the installer.

Edited by arsradu

9 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Well, we don't. But apparently you do. :)) I have no idea why. I don't deactivate it. And in this case, it actually helps to solve the issue, if you don't deactivate it. Also, it's used for the same purpose on real iMacs, if I'm not mistaken. So....it's as close to "real iMacs" as possible. Not sure where did you get this idea. But I don't think it's correct.

So yeah...if you're planning on using the iMac18,3 SMBIOS (which would match the RX580 you're using), I would recommend that you activate your iGPU (you don't have to be physically connected to it, just to have it enabled) and maybe using WhateverGreen, in case you're encountering issues such as freezes some times, or lack of signal during the installer.

I think I read it on the tonymac forums as that was the hackintosh website that I knew. Since I found insanelymac I’m only here :D I find the community way more friendly and helpful over here. But I digress!

The 18,3 SMBIOS works fine, I already changed that via clover - but I’ll report back once more as soon as I get home and turn on the iGPU.

What’s the purpose of WhateverGreen? 

• Like 1

Just now, unixb0y said:

I think I read it on the tonymac forums as that was the hackintosh website that I knew. Since I found insanelymac I’m only here :D I find the community way more friendly and helpful over here. But I digress!

The 18,3 SMBIOS works fine, I already changed that via clover - but I’ll report back once more as soon as I get home and turn on the iGPU.

What’s the purpose of WhateverGreen? 

That's why I'm here, as well. :) Just so you know. People are awesome here.

As for WhateverGreen, as I said above, it helps to prevent freezes on some websites (such as insanelymac), and helps you to see your installation status during updates/installs of the OS. :) Otherwise you're blind as a bat. :)) Which believe me, it's not fun.

Also, if you enable the iGPU, remember to add InjectIntel in your config, and add the corresponding ig-platform-id for your iGPU. It might work without it.... but....well, I'd recommend that you have it set up as well, if you can.

3 hours ago, arsradu said:

That's why I'm here, as well. :) Just so you know. People are awesome here.

As for WhateverGreen, as I said above, it helps to prevent freezes on some websites (such as insanelymac), and helps you to see your installation status during updates/installs of the OS. :) Otherwise you're blind as a bat. :)) Which believe me, it's not fun.

Also, if you enable the iGPU, remember to add InjectIntel in your config, and add the corresponding ig-platform-id for your iGPU. It might work without it.... but....well, I'd recommend that you have it set up as well, if you can.

Thanks for the info!

InjectIntel was already checked in clover, but where do I set "ig-platform-id"?

Edit:
I now have "Inject Intel" checked in Clover (Graphics section) and ig-platform-id set to 0x3E920003, JPEG images still can't be opened.

In the BIOS, the iGPU is enabled.

Edited by unixb0y

Thanks for the info!
InjectIntel was already checked in clover, but where do I set "ig-platform-id"?

Edit:
I now have "Inject Intel" checked in Clover (Graphics section) and ig-platform-id set to 0x3E920003, JPEG images still can't be opened.
In the BIOS, the iGPU is enabled.

Check here
https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/334899-intel-framebuffer-patching-using-whatevergreen/

2 hours ago, woodoodm said:

Confirm:
Just enabling Multi GPU in the BIOS solves JPG and Video preview and playback.
Asus Z170i PRO Gaming + i7-6700K

You mean Multi-monitor? If not, could you, please, provide a screenshot of the Multi GPU option from your BIOS?

Question: do you have WhateverGreen kext installed? Or checked InjectIntel in Clover config.plist? Enabling the iGPU in BIOS is one step, but not the only one, for as far as I know.

7 hours ago, arsradu said:

You mean Multi-monitor? If not, could you, please, provide a screenshot of the Multi GPU option from your BIOS?

Question: do you have WhateverGreen kext installed? Or checked InjectIntel in Clover config.plist? Enabling the iGPU in BIOS is one step, but not the only one, for as far as I know.

Yes, Multi-monitor, sorry.

With this adjustments, .JPG and video preview works fine with Asus Z170i PRO Gaming + i7-6700K and Radeon RX 560 4G

181211153233.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 4:39 PM, woodoodm said:

Yes, Multi-monitor, sorry.

With this adjustments, .JPG and video preview works fine with Asus Z170i PRO Gaming + i7-6700K and Radeon RX 560 4G

181211153233.jpg

Just registered to say thank you. Enabling IGPU multi monitor solved my jpeg preview issue.

My system uses an Asus h87m pro motherboard with an i74770 cpu and an amd rx 580 gpu.

For the IGPU I have inject intel enabled and set the platform id to 0x0d220003

For the gpu I have nothing in the config.plist

(The only issue I have left is that drm playback stopped working after the last two Mojave updates.)

Edited by vpv

36 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

If i have my iGPU enabled to fix this issue should it show up in system info? I can't remember.

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 9.34.30 pm.png

It does in my case. :) But it also depends which SMBIOS are you using.

If you went the iMacPro/MacPro route to fix this, since those don't have iGPUs, they will also not display it in that section. If you went with something like the iMac14,2 which does have an iGPU, it should show up here, if everything is properly set up in Clover config.