[HOW TO] Fix QuickLook and Preview loading issues in Mojave

330 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Cyberdevs said:

Post the whole EFI folder and I'll take a look.

The 20 points drop in cinebench score is not usual unless the iGPU is totally disabled which can explain the performance drop.

Add this under the Kernel and Kext Patches

name: com.apple.kext.AMD7000Controller

find: 37787878

replace: 32373058

comment: The 7xxx fix is: Change 7xxx to 270X

There is my efi https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i7-0VLYg-5naqgHF8gIQiFhPBLQ_g4B1/view?usp=sharing

Do you think is better to see the iGPU too even for FCPX performance?

Now I see this

Schermata 2018-09-27 alle 18.05.59.png

Edited by daeron666

49 minutes ago, daeron666 said:

There is my efi https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i7-0VLYg-5naqgHF8gIQiFhPBLQ_g4B1/view?usp=sharing

Do you think is better to see the iGPU too even for FCPX performance?

Your EFI folder seems ok, download the MacX Video Converter Pro and see if the hardware encoding support is enabled, if it is enabled it means that Intel Graphics is detected by macOS and there's no need to add the extra setting in config, if not you can use the same config.

You might need to do a system cache rebuild to make macOS rebuild the kext caches after you make the changes.

55 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Your EFI folder seems ok, download the MacX Video Converter Pro and see if the hardware encoding support is enabled, if it is enabled it means that Intel Graphics is detected by macOS and there's no need to add the extra setting in config, if not you can use the same config.

You might need to do a system cache rebuild to make macOS rebuild the kext caches after you make the changes.

I see it in istats, but not in system, I see a great slowdown in games and the GPU processor is always at 100%.....

Schermata 2018-09-27 alle 19.38.07.png

Schermata 2018-09-27 alle 19.39.25.png

Schermata 2018-09-27 alle 19.51.30.png

Edited by daeron666

Hi

I read first post and all others on this topic. No others solutions than change SMBIOS profile. Only Imac13,1 or Imac13,2 works with PCI-E Primary.

For my mobo Asus P8z77-v pro, Nvidia GT640 cards:

• iGPU is activated by default: set to primary, Inject-Intel and ig-platform in config.plist-----> no result for jpg in Preview and Quicklook. :(

43 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

iGPU is activated by default: set to primary, Inject-Intel and ig-platform in config.plist-----> no result for jpg in Preview and Quicklook. 

Hi Matgen84,

iGPU should be activated but it shouldn't be set as Primary, your GT640 should be set as primary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyberdevs said:

Hi Matgen84,

iGPU should be activated but it shouldn't be set as Primary, your GT640 should be set as primary.

Hi Cyberdevs

My Asus motherboard have 3 possibilities: auto, PCI-E primary, iGPU Primary. All of them don't work for Preview and Quicklook (without change SMBIOS Profile). I search again.

EDIT: despite what is written in the Asus notice, I can't find iGPU multi-monitor (I think multi monitor is enabled by a default for this mobo). There is only "intitalization of the dedicated gpu" for LucidLogix® Virtu. If enabled, macOS restart just before Login Screen.

Edited by Matgen84

2 hours ago, WinstonAce said:

It's better to set it to primary
Even if your monitor connected to Nvidia gpu
In UEFI, you will still see boot and can enter bios menu.

No, this will only work if the mainboard's UEFI supports GOP and the GPU also supports UEFI, otherwise you'll loose the boot screen.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

Yeah I know why you wrote that but I don't think GT640 has a UEFI BIOS, I might be wrong though.

I flashed my GT640 to UEFI Bios since 3 years. Also, I can select IGPU primary and use Nvidia PCI-e.  This way, I've HD4000 detected by macOS, Monitor Airplay option too. My mobo use multi-monitor by default.

For Preview.app and Quicklook, I think jpg issue is a bug, maybe. I try Preview.app alternative, Xee.app v3.5.3, it's works fine. :)

I just would like to share my experience with my new MSI B360 board here.

What I did:

1. enable integrated graphics in bios

2. PEG set as primary

3. Using Whatevergreen patching+ lilu

In About This Mac, no trace of iGPU is shown except for the RX 580. However, in ioreg clearly IMEI is loaded and using MacX Video Converter Pro, prove that hardware encoding is enabled. So yeah, I initially thought About This Mac is an indicative but I got fooled :P

However, if you'd like to see the cosmetics display in About This Mac, injecting intel in clover with ig-platform-id is the way to go.

Cheers to the OP for the guide!

QuickSync.png

Hi

I found: a new Lilu plugin kext. "NoVPAJpeg Lilu plugin: Disables the hardware JPEG decoding feature of the AppleVPA framework that breaks Preview and Quicklook on some systems" Click here

If the IGPU cannot be configured, this Lilu plugin should fix preview with any SMBIOS, says the author of this plugin.

Test only on my Asus p8z77-v Pro, Core i7 3770K, Nvidia GT640. I don't have any other motherboards and CPU for more tests.

Results for Preview and Quicklook:

macmini7,1 SMBIOS

• IGPU primary/Nvidia GT640: plugins works
  • PCI-E primary/Nividia GT640: plugins works

Imac15,1 SMBIOS

Imac13,1 SMBIOS: was working before 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi

I found: a new Lilu plugin kext. "NoVPAJpeg Lilu plugin: Disables the hardware JPEG decoding feature of the AppleVPA framework that breaks Preview and Quicklook on some systems" Click here

If the IGPU cannot be configured, this Lilu plugin should fix preview with any SMBIOS, says the author of this plugin.

Test only on my Asus p8z77-v Pro, Core i7 3770K, Nvidia GT640. I don't have any other motherboards and CPU for more tests.

macmini7,1 SMBIOS

Imac15,1 SMBIOS

Added this method to the main post. Merci Matt!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi

macmini7,1 SMBIOS

Imac15,1 SMBIOS

is that mean with this kext we dont need to activate IGPU on BIOS?